Start by marking “Gilberto y El Viento (Gilberto and the Wind) with CD” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Gilberto y El Viento (...

Marie Hall Ets

Gilberto y El Viento (Gilberto and the Wind) with CD

A young boy finds in the wind a playmate of many moods: one that can sail boats, fly kites, blow dirt, and turn umbrellas inside out.
Paperback
Published April 1st 1996 by Live Oak Media (NY) (first published 1963)

Be the first to ask a question about Gilberto y El Viento (Gilberto and the Wind) with CD

Start your review of Gilberto y El Viento (Gilberto and the Wind) with CD
Jon Nakapalau
The wind blows all around Gilberto - and whispers secrets to him that many of us have grown deaf to...too old to realize that secrets told long ago tell us who we are today. Truly beautiful.
Mya
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is such a wonderful perspective on the "Wind." I would reread it in a heartbeat.
Robin
What a wonderful book! Gilberto plays with the wind: though it takes his balloon and won't fly his kite, which can be frustrating, it races him, carries his bubbles, blows his pinwheel,and sails his paper boat. And it scares him at times. Very true to a child's perspective.
Leslie Reyes
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a beautiful book!! The illustrations were subtle and I think it goes well with the overall topic of the book. Gilberto, also makes the book enjoyable. I think children would really enjoy this book. It can also help with their imagination the same way Gilberto explores his.
Lancee
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gilberto And The Wind is a Timeless Classic even though it did not receive any awards from what I could find. The story is about a little Mexican boy who is fascinated with the wind. One day he decides he is going to go outside and play with it. The little boy characterizes the wind as a person who is his friend. In the book, the wind is both unkind and caring to him throughout the entire story. The storyline tells of Gilberto’s one day adventure playing with the wind and what they do on that wi ...more
Lu Benke
When this book was published in 1963, there weren't a lot of books being published portraying a child with brown skin. I wish I could reach out and touch Gilberto he is so real. Ets' charcoal illustrations of Gilberto are just right showing his exploring of the wind in very simple yet perfect and very real ways for a boy playing by himself outside--with a paper sailboat, a windmill, a balloon, bubbles, or a simple white kite. As a reader, I am both enjoying Gilberto's actiivities as if they were ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Nov 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-04-08
Marie Hall Ets has written several lovely, understated stories about small children interacting with the natural world. In this one, young Gilberto tells about his interaction with Wind, which introduces itself by whispering "You-ou-ou," then whips his balloon out of his hands and carries it into a tree. Throughout the story, Wind expresses many moods -- playful, capricious, stormy, and finally quiescent. Gilberto lies down and goes to sleep with the wind beneath a tree.

This story captures the c
Erika Gilfether
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book perfectly addresses the trials and tribulations of non-verbal communication. Gilberto is desperately trying to understand the winds motivations and occasionally succeeding and occasionally not. There is lots of room for questioning natural phenomena and the effects it has on the objects around it. It is set in a very rural setting and this may not feel familiar for some, however, like the other books of hers I was able to come across today Gilberto is just so quintessentially a little ...more
Westerville
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture_book, kids
"Gilberto plays with the wind: though it takes his balloon and won't fly his kite, which can be frustrating, it races him, carries his bubbles, blows his pinwheel,and sails his paper boat. And it scares him at times. Very true to a child's perspective." - Robin, Youth Services Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Julie
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Used for LEAP into Science lesson (2nd grade): Catch the Wind

A completely charming story of a little boy and his friendship with the wind, who is a fickle but still endearing playmate. Good imagery and use of personification to describe the many different actions of the wind. And, the illustrations are lovely.
Maria
I really like the illustrations in this book. The pages are the color of a paper bag and the drawings are done in pencil. The only accent colors are brown and white all of which pop in contrast to the paper. I also like that the protagonist is Hispanic.
Ellen Ramsey
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gilberto loves to watch the wind as it plays with a balloon, clothes on the clothesline, an umbrella, grass in the pasture, kites on the hill, a sailboat on the pond, a pinwheel, bubbles, and leaves. And in the end a quiet wind lulls itself and Gilberto to sleep.
Crystal Jackson
I think this book is a good book to use when helping children understand wind. Most children may not understand it because they can not see it. This book is a cool way to introduce the concept of wind to young children.
Siskiyou-Suzy
This is a gorgeous book. It's sparse yet educational, all about the wind as if it were Gilberto's friend. There is a stunning page with bubbles that mesmerizes me because they look so real. Each page is black-and-white, but there is a ton of life in the images. Lovely.
Jermeria Daniel
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
I would use this book as a science lesson about the wind. After reading this book, students will see in what ways the wind helps us and even gets in the way.
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for teaching personification.
Miss Sarah
A young boy talks about all his adventures with his friend wind. Love the imaginary created by the words. Pictures are all white, brown and black. Preschool and up for length.
Silvia Ribeiro Eisenmann
Cute picture book about the wind.
Shirleen
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this simple little story of a boy named Gilberto and his adventures with the wind.
Shiloah
So sweet!
Megan Biter
Would be a good book to use as a literacy piece of a weather unit to show the different 'behaviors' of the wind and to talk about imagination and perspectives.
Lorraine
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
This is really cute with the wind personified.
Josephine Burks
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book about the wind, my daughters didn’t really as they prefer really colorful books. I liked the simplicity of the pictures.
Christina Hyde
This story is about a little boy named Gilberto and all of the adventures he has with the wind including blowing bubbles, sailing toy boats, and flying kites.
The unique thing about this book is how Gilberto refers to the wind as "Wind" and talks about it as it's a person. The author writes "Wind loves to play with the wash on the line" referring to the wind blowing through the laundry. Giving the Wind a personality makes this force of nature seem like Gilberto's friend and occasionally, his foe.
Eva
May 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julias-books
3.5 - I was pleasantly surprised by this and I think Julia was too. I expected her to pick this last, or at least one of the last books but instead she pulled it out right away. (She tends to go for newer looking books and often needs a nudge to give an older looking book a shot.)
This is about a little boy, Gilberto, and how he plays with, notices, and watches the wind.
The coolest part for me is that I'd never stopped to think of the wind like this before. As in, the wind "knowing" what it was
Robert Davis
As in her previous book, Play with Me, Marie Hall Ets shows a young child learning to commune and play in nature. The use of darkly colored paper and monochromatic pencil sketching makes for interesting imagery. ...more
Torrie Wilson
I think this is a wonderful book to introduce to kids because it promotes kids playing outside and I believe a lot of kids are caught up in technology today and this book can show them how fun playing outside can be. I think this book also can lead to a science experiment with wind and how things move or do not move with wind.
Kelly Whelchel
Science Grade Pre-k/k Topic: Wind Literature

The wind is a friend . It starts asking the students if they know of things that the wind can do. Then read the story. Have the students draw pictures of them with the wind. They can draw/write what they are doing in their pictures.
Shannon
Jun 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Neat for a study on figurative language. I'd also like to use this to introduce sketching and drawing on tinted paper, because all the pages are light brown.
Trista
Oct 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I used this story to teach visualizing to my students. Illustrations are not colorful.

• Blueberries for Sal