Start by marking “An Unexpected Invitation” as Want to Read:
An Unexpected Invitation

An Unexpected Invitation

Beatrice has always struggled with motion sickness in any form of travel. That’s why she made sure that she lived on the island of Maredudd, where she only rarely needs to get anywhere using anything other than her own two feet. However, it doesn’t make it easy for her to get anywhere in a hurry.

She gets called away for urgent help healing a friend who got bitten by an un
Kindle Edition
Published January 31st 2019 by Self

To ask other readers questions about An Unexpected Invitation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Unexpected Invitation

Start your review of An Unexpected Invitation
Xan West
Content Warnings (view spoiler)

This is a magical quest kind of tale, that centers an aroace witch who is trying to find an accessible way to get to the wedding of chosen family, despite her motion sickness. It centers a range of platonic relationships, and has some fun moments of magical problem solving. My favorite bit was when the witch’s bisexual fae BFF gives her a beautiful present; it really held the way friendships can be deeply
Nicole Field
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a sweet, short and atmospheric piece of writing about an aromantic and asexual character who gets horribly motion sick but doesn't want to let that stop her from attending the wedding of dear friends.

Okay, it's more her young companion who pushes her into attempting the spells that will keep her from motion sickness and getting across to the wedding. The thing I loved about this short story was that it was so community based.

The one thing that fell down was that I didn't really feel a
Matt Hope
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
That was a lovely read. I love how it seamlessly wove its elements together. Plenty diversity too.
Ley
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a cute, queer, quick-read!
Eli
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
An Unexpected Invitation is a no-angst novella about an aromantic asexual witch that has debilitating motion sickness and is trying to find a way to travel to her friends’ wedding. I loved how she got the aromantic/asexual rep perfect, too! There are moments in the book where she thinks people are beautiful, but has no romantic or sexual interest in them. It’s perfect for a cozy day where you just want to relax and not worry about any drama.

The story starts off with a side character being attack
Zaquira
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s-rc-s
Oh wow, so much diversity and yet so much different personalities that I all loved. I’m so mad that it’s short but at the same I’m happy that I was quick and fast paced. I’m so glad that I got a review copy of this cause I cold read it over and over again . The writing, the characters, the pacing need I say more. Of course nor, it was so good that I finished so quickly. Despite me being distracted and such. I would definitely recommend this for anyone who is not good at reading larger books and ...more
Melissa
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Received an e-ARC of this book from the author.

This was a cute wee story. I wish there was more of the family motif during the last third of the story.
Lauren Kell
This was a cute fantasy novella with Regency-era vibes about an aromantic woman with chronic motion sickness who has to try to make it to her friend's wedding on time. I loved the relationships in this; Beatrice's found family is truly wonderful. I had a great time reading this. It ends a bit abruptly, in my opinion, but is otherwise a fantastic, quick read that I definitely recommend.
emmy
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer-trans, romance
I received an ARC of this book through #ReviewPit. I read this story at a particularly challenging time in my life, and it was exactly what I needed. It is unique and wholesome, and the characters were charming, affirming, diverse, and lovely. I was completely drawn in to this soothing story. It will be featured on my blog at a later date, at www.booksbeyondbinaries.blog ...more
Barry Raifsnider
Avery (Book Deviant)
Jan 26, 2019

• Goddess of The Hunt
  • Rick
  • The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics (Feminine Pursuits, #1)
  • Help Wanted (Ashveil Academy, #1)
  • A Tyranny of Queens (Manifold Worlds, #2)
  • Look
  • Chameleon Moon (Chameleon Moon, #1)
  • Denial
  • How Sweet the Sound
  • And Playing the Role of Herself
  • soft in the middle
  • 21 Weeks: Weeks 15-21
  • The Innocents
  • Coming Home
  • La fille dans l'écran
  • Baker Thief
  • Emergency Skin
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
**PLEASE NOTE: I DO NOT ACCEPT FRIEND REQUESTS ON THIS ACCOUNT. IF YOU WISH TO KEEP UP WITH MY REVIEWS, PLEASE FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER**

Ceillie Simkiss is an author from southern Virginia. She started writing fiction as an escape from her day job as a small town journalist, and has been at it ever since, with the support of her partner, her dog and her cats.

News & Interviews