Start by marking “A Sip Before Dying (Wine & Dine Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
A Sip Before Dying (Wine & Dine Mysteries #1)

A Sip Before Dying

(Wine & Dine Mysteries #1)

From #1 Amazon, New York Times & USA Today bestselling author Gemma Halliday comes a brand new series full of mystery, laughter, and murder in wine country...

The Oak Valley Vineyard has been in Emmy Oak's family for generations. So when the small Sonoma winery is suddenly in financial trouble and in danger of being gobbled up by the corporate giants, Emmy moves home to
Published May 7th 2019 by Gemma Halliday Publishing (first published April 22nd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about A Sip Before Dying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sip Before Dying

Gloria
The Wine & Dine Mystery series looks to be a great new series by Gemma Halliday. Emmy Oak left her job in the city in the culinary field to move back to the Sonoma area to save her family's Oak Valley Vineyard after her father's death and her mom's early onset dementia. But, it is not working out well financially with low sales. To promote her new wine, she has a wine tasting with treats but it ends badly when the young husband of the founder of a powerful tech company is killed-apparently w ...more
Sandy Bartles
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Emmy Oak has come back to her hometown to run the vineyard her father left her. Things aren’t going too well with the business so she decides to throw a shindig, which ends with a dead body. This is a wonderful first book in the series and I can’t wait for the next one.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.
Missi Martin (Stockwell)
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not put A Sip Before Dying by Gemma Halliday down. Once I started reading it, I was hooked !! The chapters were so short and captivating that there was no saying "one more chapter....". A reader can breeze through this story in no time. The only bad thing is that the reader can breeze through this story in no time.

You cannot help but fall in love with the main character, Emmy and her best friend, Ava. Emmy is running her family's vineyard (hopefully not into the ground) and Ava owns her
Julesy
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delicious SIP of a mystery!

I was pleased to have the opportunity to read a new series written by one of my favorite authors.

The first book in the Wine & Dine Mysteries series features Emmy Oak, who has the responsibility of the family vineyard, Oak Valley Vineyard. In order for Emmy to pull the vineyard out of the red, she invites some of the area's high caliber clientele to a tasting event featuring their best wines and foods in hopes of providing the vineyard as a venue for weddings, p
Courtney
Shelves: book-review-crew
I really loved this novel. I'm a huge fan of cozies though and it seems to take a lot to disappoint me. I want a great cast, a fun story, and a difficult to solve mystery. This book definitely has it all! Along with wine and recipes. Emmy's a great character, and it was such a quick read. I highly recommend it!
Debi Paglia
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful new series! It has an enticing storyline that kept my interest. The setting in the Sonoma wine country was lovely. A possible new romance in the making was a bonus. Overall it was a great read! Looking forward to the next one!
Kathleen
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
"A Sip Before Dying" earns 5/5 Glasses of Petite Sirah...Clever & Entertaining!

Cheers to a great beginning! Gemma Halliday's signature well-written story filled with wonderful characters is just what I expected. At the age of twenty-nine, Emmy Oak inherited. her family's Oak Valley Vineyard with its ten-acres of vines, oak-lined driveway, Spanish-style buildings, and "the cave," a wine cellar housing a variety of reds and whites. It's true most business owners worry about the ratio between a
Thomas
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
First in a new series:

Emmy (Emmeline) Oak returned to Sonoma California to take over the family winery business after her mom is moved to a home due to the early onset of dementia.

She is a trained chef, and is hosting a Spanish style dinner and wine tasting to help get her companies name out to the public. Everything is going great until she closes everything up for the night and discovers a body in her wine cellar.

Pro's: This is a good story that was mostly enjoyable, with solid characters and
Suzan
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A truly enjoyable and entertaining read! If you love fun cozy mysteries, come along for a ride through wine country with Emmy, her friend Ava, and that blasted but oh so adorable new investigator in town, Detective Grant! Emmy is trying to get her vineyard back into the black when a dead body turns up in the wine cellar. What else is an enterprising owner supposed to do but sleuth her way to the answers before sales get any worse.

It's quite the cast of characters you meet along the way. All are
Holly
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a new series by Gemma Halliday and it has everything I like in a cozy mystery! It has interesting, likeable characters, friendship, an intriguing, exciting cozy mystery, and a potential romance! Emmy (Emmaline) is taking over her family's struggling winery. She decides to have a big party with wealthy locals to promote the winery. A guest ends up dead and Emmy and her friends need to clear the winery's reputation and find the culprit, which is no easy task. Detective Grant is working on ...more
Mari Hinton
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable

First in a new series. One can't help to like Emme and routing for her. With her being the one in care of her family winery and taking care of her mother she is in need a big turn around. But what happens is just the opposite . A murder happens at her winery and her reputation is on the line. When a friend is arrested for the crime she sets out to help her friend and save her winery 🍷.
I'm ready for the next one to see where her relationship goes with the Hottie Cop.
Parisan
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was easy to read and entertaining to read. However my problem is there are so many different series going on right now that this author is writing and it’s hard to keep track of them. I’m unsure if the Tahoe Tessie series is done with but that was my favorite and never really got closure with if it is done. There’s also the Sherlock Holmes series which is great too. And there’s also Jamie Bond. It’s a lot and it’s hard to keep track of all the different characters then when new books are re ...more
Kirsten
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun start to a new series. Emmy seems like a smart, capable woman, and the other characters were fun to read.

Emmy is trying her best to keep her family's winery afloat. She hosts a party in the hope that she will then acquire some new customers. Unfortunately a VIP guest is found dead in the cellar, meaning Emmy's hopes of new business are dashed, as the bad news of a dead body spreads through town. Using her own initiative, Emmy tries to find out what really happened, and in return,
Judy Johnson
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun characters in a great setting; full of mystery, suspense and a super hunky detective as well. A family-owned winery/vineyard in Sonoma sets the stage for this wonderful cozy that will keep you entertained and swiping the pages on your Kindle to find out who the killer is. Gemma Halliday is a master at penning cozy mysteries and this one is no exception. Super enjoyable from the very first page, well-developed story, and characters. One click this book now!
Bernadette Cinkoske
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Sip Before Dying is an interesting cozy mystery set in wine country. There are many suspects and a lot of plot twists. A bonus is that I did not guess the murderer! Emma and Ava are both very vested in seeing their businesses succeed. When a murder occurs at the invitation only party Emmy planned to showcase her winery, she and Ava attempt to find the murdered. With sparkling characters and a hunky detective, this is a cozy mystery you will not want to miss.
Mariko Tsubaki
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to the Sonoma Valley. There is a new sleuth in town and her name is winery owner/personal chef Emmy Oaks. She has returned home to run the family's struggling business. When the spouse of a very wealthy client is found dead after a tasting party, Emma and her bestie, Ava, search for the killer.
A great start to a new series. Emmy is the type a character you just love. She is smart, sassy, and resourceful.
I received an ARC from the publisher for my honest and unbiased review.
Jan Locke
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A slip before jail

A really good beginning to this series! From the very beginning it felt like I'd stepped in to life in the beautiful Sonoma Valley. Spiced up with great leading characters and other interesting people plus the anxiety ridden rich and some pretty evil suspects. There is enough suspense, romance and action to keep you turning the page and enjoyable dialogue. Looking forward to the next book coming out!
Nadine
An excellent cozy.

Emmy moves home to try to save The Oak Valley Vineyard. When a murder happens and it turns out it was poisoned wine, Emmy is understandably a suspect.

This first book in a new series is well worth the read. Fun, suspenseful, and a touch of romance. I loved the characters! And I was super surprised at the end! I hadn’t expected quite so much about fashion, but I found it to be very enjoyable.
Bonnie J.
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from the publisher for purposes of an unbiased review.
When Emmy returns home to help save her family's vineyard, she doesn't count on needing to solve a mystery. This new series contains interesting characters, fun scenarios, some quirkiness, a mystery that keeps you guessing and it is all set in wine country. I will definitely be purchasing the next book in this series.
Sandra
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I knew when I picked up this Gamma Halliday new release I would be in for a treat! I never miss a chance to curl up with one of her books. This new series is great. The characters and plot are so deftly handle in Ms Halliday's hands. There is so much more to discover about them. . .can't wait to learn more. Please keep 'am coming!
Shannon Binegar-Foster
So good

I have loved every book I have read by Gemma and this one was amazing. I loved the characters and everything about it. What a cliffhanger ending. So looking forward to book 2.
Shirley Worley
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A young woman moves back home to take over her family's struggling winery. After hosting a big promotional event, catering to an elite clientele, a body is found in the wine cellar. Several suspects surface and a few twists hamper her investigation. Enjoyable read.
Ann Keeran
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gemma Halliday kicks off her exciting new series, Wine and Dine Mysteries, with a magnificent mystery. Emmy Oak must keep her family's winery from failing while solving a murder that occurred too close to home.
Robin Lee
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Sip Before Dying by Gemma Halliday
This is a great beginning to a new series! The characters are interesting, the setting is wonderful and I couldn’t put it down! There is romance, mystery and action – all I could ask for. I am anxiously awaiting the next book in this series!
Julia
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed A Sip Before dying, the first book in the Wine & Dine mystery series! I love Gemma's books as they flow so nicely and keep you wanting to read more. Emmy & Ava are such lovely fun characters, I can't wait to see what happens next in this series.
Danielle
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A sip Before Dying!!

I love Gemma Holliday!! It has been a while since I’ve read her but she’s just as good as always. Loved the mystery she puts in her books. I was surprised by who it was.
Suzy
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fabulous start to a new series that pulled me in from the beginning with a cast of fun and interesting characters. This is a great location for a cozy mystery series and I can’t wait for the next one.
Jeannie
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun start to a new series. Love Emmy Oak, owner of Oak Valley Vineyard in Sonoma. There are fun characters and the mystery was well crafted. Kept me turning the pages. I loved the yummy sounding recipes at the end. It has a good mix of danger, suspense, mystery and fun
M M
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun read. I couldn’t give it 5 stars when the heroine did some amazingly stupid things. Breaking and entering a dead person’s office? Hiding information from the police? Still it was an enjoyable story and I would read more in this series.
Leah
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Typical cozy mystery. Good collection of characters. I guessed the murderer correctly.
Gemma had a hard time figuring out what she wanted to be when she grew up. She worked as a film and television actress, a teddy bear importer, a department store administrator, a preschool teacher, a temporary tattoo artist, and a 900 number psychic, before finally selling her first book, Spying in High Heels, in 2005 and deciding to be a writer.

Since then, Gemma has written several mystery novels

Wine & Dine Mysteries (3 books)
  • Chocolate Covered Death (Wine & Dine Mysteries #2)
  • Victim in the Vineyard (Wine & Dine Mysteries #3)