Start by marking “Mujeres en el deporte” as Want to Read:
Mujeres en el deporte

Mujeres en el deporte

De la autora de Mujeres de ciencia, de nuevo 50 mujeres con una historia apasionante. Un libro maravillosamente ilustrado, y al mismo tiempo inspirador, que destaca los logros y las historias de cincuenta mujeres atletas notables, desde figuras conocidas como la tenista Billie Jean King y la gimnasta Simone Biles, hasta atletas menos conocidas como Patti McGee y Toni Stone ...more
Published October 1st 2018 by Nórdica Libros (first published July 18th 2017)

Start your review of Mujeres en el deporte
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I love any sort of book that caters to my feminist side (which, if we're being honest, is all of me?), and I also am a slight sports fan, so when I saw this book, I had to grab a copy! I've heard good things about this book's predecessor, "Women in Science", and while I haven't read that one, I can safely say that I LOVED this book. I'm not much of a non-fiction reader, so reading anything educational honestly usually requires something special added in the mix, and this book absolutely has that ...more
Camille ☼
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The day I have children or niece or nephew or any contact with a child and I need to buy them a gift this is what I'm getting for them.
Susan
Jul 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My main complaint is that I read this via audiobook and didn’t get to see the illustrations— so ig I’m just rating the audio format. If I read it physically I probs would have given it 4 stars :) I’m so grateful for these women for fighting for their rights in sports, without them, I wouldn’t be able to swim 😢 I love women omg why am I straight 😭😭😭😭😭😭
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
4.5 Stars
Women in Sports is a beautifully illustrated look at women athletes who broke the mold, change the game, and paved the way for other women to join them on the podium.

WiS highlights fifty women who come from a multitude of backgrounds, countries, and participate in a wide variety of sports. There are women who were the first to participate, women who broke down barriers, and those who broke records. It also includes a few little infographics about things like musculature and even the pay
Kristin Davison
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
I would like to thank netgalley and Ten Speed Press for a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Filled with lots of world leading sports women this is an important book. The illustrations are beautiful and I love the diversity of the women included.
Sports have always played a big role in my life. Whether I was playing them or watching them with my friends and family, I have loved them always. Growing up, I did gymnastics, ballet, roller bladed, biked, swam, played softball and skated like a fiend. I skiied, played basketball, and was nearly recruited to Brown University as an ice hockey goalie. My sister played soccer and tennis, my dad was a gymnast and sailor, my mom was a three sport athlete and my grandfather played four sports and for ...more
ankita
I received an advanced digital copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Another great and inspirational read by Rachel Ignotofsky. After I read her book Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World, I became a huge fan and immediately requested this book on NetGalley.

It's so important to have books and other media that represent all of the extraordinary things that women have accomplished, regardless of what field they're in, and are still accomplishing. While I had
Daisey
Sports are not something that really grab or hold my interest, so this was a perfect way to read about some amazing female athletes from the late 1800s to the present. The format of the book with bright illustrations and concise one page biographies is great. I truly appreciated the diversity of the women and the sports represented. This book shares a positive message of strength and determination on every page.

* I received an electronic copy of this book through NetGalley for an honest review.
LynnDee (LynnDee's Library)
Another stunning book from illustrator Rachel Ignotofsky. Featuring women sports figures from throughout history & the world, Women In Sports is definitely a must-read for fans of sports and/or women. ...more
Kelsey
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reading-women-19
Really enjoyed learning about the women in this book, especially many of the early athletes who had to push at so many barriers.

Read for Reading Women Challenge 2019 #10: A book about a woman athlete.
Danica Holdaway
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible and beautiful book about women in sports - all different types of sports, all different types of women. I am so glad I have this in my home for my girls to read.
Rhea
I loved Ignotofsky's other book, Women in Science, and this is just as good - her art is gorgeous and I learn about so many cool, trailblazing women throughout history.
Jessica Kennedy
I really loved reading every page of this.
Kristy
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read with gorgeous illustrations! Thankful for all these women! Definite must read for young girls that love sports!
Catherine
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-nonfiction
Lovely little introduction to some prominent women athletes and their accomplishments. The art is gorgeous and it and the text are kid-appropriate. Recommended as a good place to start.
This book gives an overview of the accomplishments of 50 female athlete's from around the world, including sports like cricket, MMA, swimming, and motocross.

Likely to be a useful starting point for school projects, readers who enjoy learning about athletes who topped their fields, and readers who want to learn more about women's history.

Illustration/artwork was fun!
Catherine Raitt
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A really interesting book. As a lover of sport and teacher of PE, I found it fascinating to read about all these fantastic women from the past and present.
Tori (Book Chick)
Another great, inspiring, empowering book! My 11 year old and I both enjoyed learning about the courageous women who fought their way to the top, to be the best in things that women weren't suppose to be good in at all.
Tara
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from Netgalley for an honest review.

This book couldn't come out at a better time. Celebrating women in general and those who competed in sports is important to do, especially the ones in the beginning when women weren't allowed to compete. There are women from long ago that most people don't know about and there are more recent women, like Simone Biles. There are great pictures and infographics that go with each story too.
Andréa
Note: I received a digital ARC of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.
Kristy
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an ARC from Netgalley.

This was such an interesting and enjoyable book. The focus of the book was not just women in the more commonly known sports such as swimming, gymanstics, soccer, or basketball. There were women breaking barriers in everything from ping pong to shooting to BMX and also featured women from around the globe. It still leaves me dumbfounded when I hear about women being the weaker sex or playing sports will be too harmful to the female body. These women and many more pr
Daisy Maughan
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a very inspirational book proving girls that they can achieve anything with perseverance and hard work.
Malcolm
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the welcome aspects (of many) of the recent revival of discussions of feminism has been the appearance of child-oriented publications centred on women who struggled, who broke barriers, who forced their way into social worlds widely seen as ‘men’s’ space, helping to bring about change that offered women and girls the space to be whoever they thought they might like to be. This collection of 50 women who defied the rules of grace and elegance to run, jump, throw, climb, ride, hit, sweat, s ...more
Ellen Scherer
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you know many women in sports? How many professional women’s sports teams can you mention off the top of your head? Unless you are a sports fanatic, I am guessing you would be struggling to name more than one or two. In fact, I’ll admit I knew very little about the relationship between women and sports until opening my copy of Women in Sports: 50 Fearless Athletes Who Played to Win, by Rachel Ignotofsky.

This book is fabulous. I gladly award Ignotofsky a 5-star review! Not only does she succi
Savannah
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, feminism, nonfiction
Sell Me in a Sentence: An incredibly cute coffee table book which features the badass women who inspire you.

Short Summary: This is a book of 50 illustrated profiles of amazing female athletes! The book begins with athletes active during the beginning of the 20th century and ends with today’s pioneers.
Review: I love, love, love this book! The writing style is OK; it is just a collection of mostly short biographies after all. It is the illustrations and graphic details that really shine and make
Leah Rachel von Essen
Women in Sports: 50 Fearless Athletes Who Played to Win is a beautiful book jam-packed with excellent mini-biographies of some of the most iconic and important female athletes of history. It’s an incredible new read from Rachel Ignotofsky, with each athlete getting wonderful illustrations.

This book is excellent in every day. It’s diverse—there are women of color, disabled athletes, and bisexual and lesbian athletes. Ignotofsky is careful to note the extra challenges these women athletes faced.
Amanda - Cover2CoverMom
You can read all of my reviews on my blog -> Cover2CoverMom Blog

Another collection of mini biographies written & illustrated by Rachel Ignotofsky.  This collection features 50 influential women in sports.  Women have often been refereed to as "the weaker sex" throughout history, but here are 50 women that proved that statement wrong!

I appreciated that this book included such a diverse list of sports are represented here.  Dog mushing, skydiving, martial arts, bowling, roller derby, polo, mountai
Becky B
A collection of biographies of 50 women from around the world and in a variety of sports who set records, broke boundaries, and proved that women were just as sporty as guys. Each woman gets a two page spread, with an illustration of her, a quote, a few facts, and one full page of information with basics about her life, how she got into the sport, and her major achievements. The women are organized chronologically by their date of birth.

I like the diversity in locations these women are from and
Rachel (Life of a Female Bibliophile)
See even more book reviews at: http://www.lifeofafemalebibliophile.com/

I was so psyched to read this book after reading Ignotofsky’s first book Women in Science. I learned about so many amazing women in the STEM field that were new to me. Women in Sports focuses on women in athletics around the globe. I commend Ignotofsky by not only putting the book in chronological order so that readers can see how women’s sports have evolved over time, but all the research she does into making a comprehensive
Ben Truong
Women in Sports: 50 Fearless Athletes Who Played to Win is a children's picture book written and illustrated by Rachel Ignotofsky, which features fifty women athletes from all walks of life and time in more than forty different sports. Besides the mini-biographies of these women, there are info-graphics of relative topics like muscle anatomy and various list about women in sports.

Ignotofsky's text is simplistic, informative, and easy to understand and demonstrated what these amazing athletes, wh
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Women Who Dared: 52 Stories of Fearless Daredevils, Adventurers, and Rebels
  • Saving the Team (The Kicks, #1)
  • Sabotage Season (The Kicks, #2)
  • Little Dreamers: Visionary Women Around the World
  • Character Guide (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them)
  • Win or Lose (The Kicks, #3)
  • Schomburg: The Man Who Built a Library
  • Herstory: 50 Women and Girls Who Shook Up the World
  • Bookish and the Beast (Once Upon a Con, #3)
  • The Blossom and the Firefly
  • The Boneshaker (The Boneshaker #1)
  • Armstrong: The Adventurous Journey of a Mouse to the Moon
  • Double Coverage (Love and Sports, #2)
  • Three and Out (Love and Sports, #3)
  • 56: Joe DiMaggio and the Last Magic Number in Sports
  • Who Do You Serve, Who Do You Protect? Police Violence and Resistance in the United States
  • In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen (Cobble Street Cousins, # 1)
  • A Little Shopping (Cobble Street Cousins, #2)
Rachel Ignotofsky grew up in New Jersey on a healthy diet of cartoons and pudding. She graduated with honors from Tyler School of Art’s graphic design program in 2011. Now she lives in beautiful Kansas City, Missouri, where she spends all day drawing and learning as much as she can. She has a passion for taking dense information and making it fun and accessible and is dedicated to creating educati ...more