Start by marking “Kevin the Unicorn: It's Not All Rainbows” as Want to Read:
Kevin the Unicorn: It's Not All Rainbows

Kevin the Unicorn: It's Not All Rainbows

A unicorn's bad day turns into a laugh-out-loud look at the pressure to be perfect and the importance of expressing your feelings

Everyone knows that unicorns are perfect. They are glamorous and glittery, and their smiles make rainbows appear! But Kevin is having a less-than-perfect day. First, he wakes up on the wrong side of the bed ...on the floor. Then he discovers that
Published October 22nd 2019 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Kevin the Unicorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kevin the Unicorn

Start your review of Kevin the Unicorn: It's Not All Rainbows
Jen
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love love love this message! Jessika writes the story of unicorn named Kevin, who has the idea that every day needs to be "perfect" and that he must always be "happy" or in a good mood. After a really horrible day, he learns that this is not the case, and that everyone struggles sometimes. A perfect story for kids to realize that they are not alone in their feelings and that it is okay to feel what they feel, no matter what.
Kirsti Call
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super fun story about how it's okay to have a bad day once in a while
Amanda
I really needed this today. That's all.
Andrew
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In unicorn life, it's important to always smile and be happy. But every once in awhile, we all have a day like Kevin's; absolutely dreadful. Here's a book that's bound to make anyone smile, even if you're having a day as horrible as his. It's Not All Raimbows is not only a funny, colorful book, but a reminder to kids and adults alike that it's okay to feel and embrace all of our emotions... and that having a friend to talk about our feelings with can work wonders on that moody day!
Khadijah R.
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What is it with these picture books hiding behind a careful veneer of frivolity such deep and touching substance that takes you to another world with gorgeous illustrations and leaves you with a new sense of self?? ...more
Holly
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I loved this book at first because it showed a "perfect" creature having a bad day. Then I loved it even more because we realize that all the unicorns are having bad days and merely pretending to be perfect & happy, which is a great message for suburb dwelling children.
Melissa Carter
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kevin makes having a bad day more bearable. Sometimes we just need someone to vent to. Very cute read.
Gina
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Funnily disastrous, with the overall message that you don't have to keep a happy surface when it doesn't match your insides, and that it's even better to be open and honest about it.
Angela
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, picture-book
I didn't expect to love this picture book (don't tell anyone, but I'm not all that into unicorns). However, the message is so wonderful: it's OK to have a bad day! You don't always have to be happy. you don't always have to smile. I wish I had gotten this message long ago. It's quite liberating, really.
Erin
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
The unicorn market is becoming a bit over-saturated but this is one more unicorn book that we do need. A great way to subvert a trope and teach a lesson....with rainbows and glitter and smiles of course.
Kristen Milton
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books-read
This book is completely adorable and I loved the message. We all have bad days and that is okay, even unicorns! This was an ARC received through Edelweiss.
Elizabeth
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This would have been a favorite of mine as a kid. I was always wondering why all the other kids looked all put together and I didn't look the same.

Great Book.
Todd
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very cute take on "It's OK not to be OK" lesson.
Thomas
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cute-covers
"Everyone knows unicorns are perfect."

This book started out a bit heavy handed with its perfection, but it was just setting up the perfect "we're not always perfect" storyline. Jessika von Innerebner writes in simple language that will not only engage toddlers and preschoolers, but also kindergartners that are starting to read independently.

The artwork in this is fantastical and fabulous. I loved seeing unicorns of different sizes and colors. Innerebner is always dynamic and expressive, but this
Danielle
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
It's super important to teach kids that it is okay to have less-than-positive feelings. In Kevin the Unicorn, Kevin tries extremely hard to put on a happy face through being doused with clam juice, a terrible hair day, being chased by sea gulls and dogs, until he is finally under enough pressure that he bursts. To his surprise, he fellow unicorns admit that they too aren't having the best day.

The message is simple but a vital one to teach our kids - it's okay not to be okay! The sooner we
Kaitlyn
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Summary
This book is about a unicorn named Kevin who is not having an awesome day. He starts out his morning different than his others. He tries to stay positive but nothing is turning around for him.

Review
I really liked this book because it is totally relatable. We always want to keep a positive view on everything but some days just don’t go as planned. It is learning how to accept yourself even if you aren’t perfect.

Connection
I would connect this book with other books that highlighted the
Erin Buhr
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
We all have bad days, but unicorns don't. Unicorns are perfect and they are always cheerful. Or are they? Kevin the Unicorn has only experienced perfect unicorn days full of "magical awesomeness" until one day he wakes up on the floor and his day only gets worse from there. Poor disheveled Kevin has got to be one of the relatable unicorns ever. This is a cute book full of energy, emotion, and is sure to be a hit with unicorn fans. It is bursting with color, but also the message that some days ...more
Robin
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
If you like unicorns (and who doesn't, really?) AND you like a laugh-out-loud funny story with wonderfully detailed illustrations, you need to read this book! After I finished it, I shared it around with other staff members. This is the type of book that offices should have handy in a staff room to offer humorous reading which puts a smile on one's face!

Because after all, there are days when "it's not all rainbows"!
Beth
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even unicorns can have bad days. And that's okay.

A great message to counteract the pervasive "good vibes only" messages we're being given that has turned into toxic positivity -- i.e., encouraging a positive outlook at the expense of exploring necessary negative emotions that need to be expressed in order to be fully human.
Nicole
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Unicorns are trending hard lately! So, I decided to up the unicorn collection at my library and I'm glad I got this book. Unicorns are happy & sparkly & fun, right? But what happens when one wakes up on the floor? A great book to show kids that everyone has bad days! The illustrations are colorful, bright, and Kevin the Unicorn will make everyone laugh!
Jared White
I think if done well as a read-aloud this could work with preschool-aged all the way up to upper-elementary or maybe even higher. Full disclosure, I didn't laugh until the last couple pages...but it does take a lot to make me laugh. If done in a fun way I think some kids would be laughing all the way through it.
Alicia Evans
What a cute book! We see Kevin (yay for a male unicorn!) fighting to stay positive on a day that just keeps getting worse. We see that there are others hurting too and Kevin learns that he can express his feelings. Lovely.

For: unicorn fans; readers wanting a book about feelings and discussing them with others.

Possible red flags: yelling; feelings overwhelmed and powerless.
Patti
It's okay to have a bad day. von Innerebner's clever tongue-in-cheek picture book does a perfect job of reminding us all that life isn't perfect (it's not all unicorns and rainbows) and that is okay. We are not alone, everyone has bad days. One thing that makes a bad day better, sharing with others. A clever and funny reminder for anyone who has ever had a bad day.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Unicorns are certainly the craze right now. I like that this unicorn learned that despite pressures to be happy and smiley all the time, that's not always reflective of reality. The illustration style didn't really jive with me, and the ending felt a bit too simple. I'm sure it will check out nonstop from our library regardless.
Aaron
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars for me. This one will really need to be discussed with younger children. They will not get the book they are hoping for when they see bright unicorns on the cover. This is not just another unicorn book though. It has an important message about listening to one's feelings. Hopefully, it will spark discussion.
Ruth Ann
What happens when you are always supposed to be all smiles and exuding happiness and your day is going all wrong?
This book tells us how Kevin, the Unicorn, handles his horrible day - and he finds that he is not alone.
Rosemary Retford
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
"It turns out that unicorns don't always have perfect, magical days..and that's ok." Gorgeous book, would be good for a read-aloud but too long for story time. Glitter, rainbows, smiles and a good lesson
Clwseattle
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
I appreciate the message and funny illustrations of Kevin the Unicorn: It's Not All Rainbows, but I think there are a few parts that should have had more words to go with the really great, fun illustrations.

4 stars
Gabrielle Stoller
I really want to like unicorn stories. I really do. But here's the problem. They are SO trite. Even this one--where the message is that it's okay to be messed up and have a day--comes off being not that way. Sigh.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Please Don't Eat Me
  • Bad Dog
  • Saturday
  • Everybody Says Meow
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • I Am Perfectly Designed
  • Bruce's Big Storm
  • Freedom Soup
  • Pluto Gets the Call
  • Sofia Valdez, Future Prez (Questioneers Picture Book, #4)
  • Reading Beauty