Start by marking “In the Middle of the Night: Poems from a Wide-Awake House” as Want to Read:
In the Middle of the Night: Poems from a Wide-Awake House

In the Middle of the Night: Poems from a Wide-Awake House

Toys, food, and other everyday household objects have wild adventures at night, while the humans in the house sleep, in this imaginative collection of 26 poems.

What do the things in your home do when you're asleep? They play, of course! In this compendium of poems by Laura Purdie Salas, everything from stuffed animals to clothing to writing utensils comes to life under the
Library Binding, 32 pages
Published March 12th 2019 by Wordsong

To ask other readers questions about In the Middle of the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Middle of the Night

Start your review of In the Middle of the Night: Poems from a Wide-Awake House
Amy Layton
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poems, picturebooks
Filled with 26 creative poems, this book answers the question of what your toys do at night: they play! And misplace themselves. And color. And laugh. In fact, when they have the entire house to themselves, they have lots of fun. With rhymes and onomatopoeias and fantastic illustrations, this book of poetry casts a new imaginative light on our favorite toys. Great for grades K-3.

Review cross-listed here!
Kelly
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A solid 4.5 stars!

This is a book full of fun, short, whimsical poems, each with its own unique rhythm. The poems are told in the voices of various household items after the child has gone to bed.
Linda
Most of the time when I read any poetry books by Laura Purdie Salas, I want to return the fun with my own poem, showing how much I love the book(s). Yes, I do!
Who hasn't imagined things in their homes moving around in adventures while they sleep? Perhaps it's mostly children, but hasn't everyone, after waking, found at least one object in a different place from where they "thought" it was placed? In this book of varied kinds of poems, animal stuffies anxiously wait for "you to sleep, so we can
Margie
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Although observations of everything about our world through poetry is welcome any month of the year, the annual celebration of National Poetry Month in April is when poets, those who enjoy poetry and those who have yet to discover poetry can come together. The use of various poetic styles is showcased. The interplay of word choices and cadence penned using those various techniques gives the appearance of pure magic.

One poet whose work I've enjoyed for years is Laura Purdie Salas. This spring
Kimberly Hutmacher
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wondered what all of the stuff in your house does when you're fast asleep? This fun collection takes readers on a middle-of-the-night adventure around an ordinary house, spying on ordinary objects engaged in not so ordinary adventures. A fruit rollup turns into a racetrack for toy cars. Leftover spaghetti becomes a pair of shoelaces. After a day of being bounced and dribbled, an aching basketball soaks in a sink full of ice.

This is a great bedtime read for home, and a wonderful
Jana
It's often fun to imagine just what kind of life all of our toys, clothes, library books, etc. have when the lights are turned off and everyone has gone to sleep. This lovely picture book is a nice collection of poems that celebrate the dancing, playing, hiding, parachuting, and frolicking that goes on during the night. For young writers in need of a good poetry mentor text, this anthology has all different types of poems that can provide inspiration. The artwork was "painted mostly in the hours ...more
Pam
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
What happens after we're all asleep? This poet shares her thoughts as inanimate objects come to life and celebrate in the night. Each poem tells the story of objects that have waited for the humans to sleep so they could play.
Matteson brings the words to life with her detailed illustrations.
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great collection of peoms from this writer!
Kimberly
Very cute but it ends up being a LOT to read at bedtime. My kid really enjoyed it though and always noticed at the end of the book if I had skipped any poems. Sigh.
Lynn
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Cheerful, fun and lively. Poems from common objects that that play when the people go to bed.
Edward Sullivan
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Cheerful verse inspired by common objects.
Katherine
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Poems at night - what happens to your belongings while you sleep?
Mary Ann
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the use of words. "Lion flips. / Monkey snips. / Dolphin drums. / Dragon strums." These poems are so much fun to read aloud as each word takes shape first on my tongue and then in our minds. This delightful collection of poems captured my imagination as they describe the adventures of everyday inanimate objects found at night.
Suzanne
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, ya-kid-lit
Laura Purdie Salas (A Rock Can Be, Lion of the Sky), has a way of looking at things that makes readers see them in a new light. In this case that might be a nightlight or moonlight, but definitely a unique view of ordinary things. Once the humans are all asleep, the objects in the house come to life. Stuffed animals have a talent show. Pencils race down the stairs. A necktie roams the house, untethered. The "Toy Story" type adventures seem to have no limits, much like the author's imagination.

My

• A Snicker of Magic
  • Seashells: More Than a Home
  • The Girl Who Named Pluto: The Story of Venetia Burney
  • Over the Moon
  • Frank Einstein and the Antimatter Motor (Frank Einstein, #1)
  • Peter & Ernesto: The Lost Sloths
  • Guitar Genius: How Les Paul Engineered the Solid-Body Electric Guitar and Rocked the World
  • Sweety
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • The Mighty Heart of Sunny St. James
Laura Purdie Salas is the author of more than 130 books for kids and teens, including WATER CAN BE... (Millbrook, 2014), A LEAF CAN BE... (Millbrook, 2012), and BOOKSPEAK! POEMS ABOUT BOOKS (Clarion, 2011). She loves to introduce kids to poetry and help them find poems they can relate to, no matter what their age, mood, and personality.

Laura is a thinker, a cupcake and brownie addict, and an