Start by marking “In the Middle of the Night: Poems from a Wide-Awake House” as Want to Read:
In the Middle of the Night: Poems from a Wide-Awake House

In the Middle of the Night: Poems from a Wide-Awake House

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  17 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Toys, food, and other everyday household objects have wild adventures at night, while the humans in the house sleep, in this imaginative collection of 26 poems.

What do the things in your home do when you're asleep? They play, of course! In this compendium of poems by Laura Purdie Salas, everything from stuffed animals to clothing to writing utensils comes to life under the
Library Binding, 32 pages
Published March 12th 2019 by Wordsong

To ask other readers questions about In the Middle of the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Middle of the Night

really liked it 4.00  ·

Linda
Most of the time when I read any poetry books by Laura Purdie Salas, I want to return the fun with my own poem, showing how much I love the book(s). Yes, I do!
Who hasn't imagined things in their homes moving around in adventures while they sleep? Perhaps it's mostly children, but hasn't everyone, after waking, found at least one object in a different place from where they "thought" it was placed? In this book of varied kinds of poems, animal stuffies anxiously wait for "you to sleep, so we can
Margie
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Although observations of everything about our world through poetry is welcome any month of the year, the annual celebration of National Poetry Month in April is when poets, those who enjoy poetry and those who have yet to discover poetry can come together. The use of various poetic styles is showcased. The interplay of word choices and cadence penned using those various techniques gives the appearance of pure magic.

One poet whose work I've enjoyed for years is Laura Purdie Salas. This spring rea
Kimberly Hutmacher
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wondered what all of the stuff in your house does when you're fast asleep? This fun collection takes readers on a middle-of-the-night adventure around an ordinary house, spying on ordinary objects engaged in not so ordinary adventures. A fruit rollup turns into a racetrack for toy cars. Leftover spaghetti becomes a pair of shoelaces. After a day of being bounced and dribbled, an aching basketball soaks in a sink full of ice.

This is a great bedtime read for home, and a wonderful rea
Jana
It's often fun to imagine just what kind of life all of our toys, clothes, library books, etc. have when the lights are turned off and everyone has gone to sleep. This lovely picture book is a nice collection of poems that celebrate the dancing, playing, hiding, parachuting, and frolicking that goes on during the night. For young writers in need of a good poetry mentor text, this anthology has all different types of poems that can provide inspiration. The artwork was "painted mostly in the hours ...more
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great collection of peoms from this writer!
Lynn
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Cheerful, fun and lively. Poems from common objects that that play when the people go to bed.
Mary Ann
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the use of words. "Lion flips. / Monkey snips. / Dolphin drums. / Dragon strums." These poems are so much fun to read aloud as each word takes shape first on my tongue and then in our minds. This delightful collection of poems captured my imagination as they describe the adventures of everyday inanimate objects found at night.
Elaine
Angie Quantrell
Susan
added it
Laura Salas
Jan 16, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Beth
Amy
Mar 12, 2019
Aliza Werner
Mar 17, 2019
Laura Purdie Salas is the author of more than 130 books for kids and teens, including WATER CAN BE... (Millbrook, 2014), A LEAF CAN BE... (Millbrook, 2012), and BOOKSPEAK! POEMS ABOUT BOOKS (Clarion, 2011). She loves to introduce kids to poetry and help them find poems they can relate to, no matter what their age, mood, and personality.

Laura is a thinker, a cupcake and brownie addict, and an adve