Start by marking “The Ultimate History of the '80s Teen Movie” as Want to Read:
The Ultimate History of the '80s Teen Movie

The Ultimate History of the '80s Teen Movie

A trip back to the era of troubled teens and awesome soundtracks; of Reagan, rap, and Ridgemont High; of MTV, VHS, and “Axel F”; of outsiders, lost boys, and dead poets; of Bill and Ted, Brooke Shields, and the Brat Pack; of three Porky's flicks, two Coreys, and one summer when “Baby” refused to be put in a corner.

The Ultimate History of the ’80s Teen Movie goes behind the
Kindle Edition
Published March 19th 2019 by Diversion Books

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate History of the '80s Teen Movie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate History of the '80s Teen Movie

Tahera
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I felt like I was taking a short semester course on the 80's era of movies while reading this book...RTC.
MissBecka
Mar 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
For a book about 80's teen movies there was a surprising amount of content not pertaining to 80's teen movies. This was really dry with waaaaaaay too many footnotes.
It was a struggle to get through.
Thank you NetGalley and Diversion Books for my copy.
Joe Kucharski
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Life moves pretty fast. Sage advice of a hallowed teen from the mid-1980’s, when Reaganomics’s voodoo charmed ideologies, a generation of kids were being raised at the shopping mall, and Huey told us to get back in time.

Hollywood noticed these changes and, like John Bender piercing his ear in triumph, transformed pop-culture into the fast times of Valley girls, lost boys, and top guns doing a risky business while taking the day off. Movies were cheap, stupid, and sexy. Except for those that were
Taylor (TaysInfiniteThougts)
The Ultimate History of the 80s Teen Movie is exactly as the title says: the ultimate history of the 80s teen movie. It's full of fun and interesting facts about how the 80s teen movie got started and everyone that was a part of it. Starting in the late 70s, we learn about early movie stars like John Travolta in movies like Grease and Saturday Night Fever. We also learn about different directors during that time as well, like John Hughes and Don Simpson. I really enjoyed reading this book and le ...more
Shari Suarez
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Starts in the late 70's with movies like Saturday Night Fever and then continues throughout the 80's with lots of interesting facts and history of both the movies and the stars of the movies. I had forgotten about so many of the movies I loved until I read this book. I may need a couple of nights to binge 80's movies.
Christy
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
super fun book! gave me a new appreciation for some of these movies (like fast times at ridgemont high). this could've been a simple and dry retelling of facts but the author injected humor into his writing that made me laugh out loud a couple of times.

now i gotta go do some rewatches!

**I received an eARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.**
Vinny
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 80s teen movies enthusiasts
Shelves: netgalley

I received an ARC from Diversion Books via NetGalley in exchange of honest review. This is a highly-detailed book discussing historical events and behind-the-scenes of the 80s teen movies that a lot of people, including me, might be not aware of. I appreciate the author's hard work and long researches for gathering all of these incredible details in one place. I also like the fact that the book was started with a background from the 70s, allowing us to get a hint of how everything
Beth Dean
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Do you love teen movies from the 1980s like me? Then this book is for you.

This book goes beyond the quintessential teen movie, though, often including movies about burgeoning adults, families, and social issues. In addition to Porky's and Adventures in Babysitting, we get the more adult Wall Street and Terms of Endearment.

At the same time. King gives us a full scope of that movie's place and time. For movie lovers like me, it's a treat to delve into this in-depth history.

Many thanks to Netgalley
Riann
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very immersive history of 80s teen movies. The author showed how the types of teen movies in the 70s directly lead to the teen movies of the early 80s. The historical happenings discussed in each chapter really helped me to gain an understanding of the public consciousness during each year. I learned so much behind the scenes information about my favorite 80s teen movies as well as about lesser known movies which I may have overlooked. The author's footnotes were also very informative.
Sarah Connolly
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book. Having recently read other nonfiction books about various aspects of the entertainment industry, though, this book just doesn’t hold up.

If you’re looking for an very in depth look into movies of the 80’s beyond just the usual John Hughes/Brat Paxk favorites, this book will do quite nicely. For me, it read a little too much like a textbook. For a book about the entertainment industry, I was really just looking for something more, well, entertaining.
Online Eccentric Librarian
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

The title accurately sums up what you will find here: a very thoroughly researched biography of 80s teen movies. Author King takes pains to put all the information into perspective of the era: the power players, the movements, the politics, the movie themes, and the changing social climate.

The book is wonderfully informative and with copious annotations and footnotes that take side information/tangents out of the main t
Earl
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Ultimate History of the '80s Teen Movie by James King is exactly what the title says and succeeds as such. This is a history, not a collection of gossip or sensationalism masquerading as history, so be aware of that before reading so you will know what you're about to get into.

Rather than jump into the 80s movies King does a splendid job of setting the scene, beginning with the late 70s and how they paved the way for what was to follow. The overall history is bracketed by references to John
Once Upon a Time Book Reviews
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to #Netgalley and #Diversionbooks for the advanced reading copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

#TheUltimateHistoryOfThe80sTeenMovie

A fun read full of interesting facts and throughly researched of some of the popular movies to come out of the 80’s. I would have liked to have seen photos to accompany the movies but there wasn’t any included.

If you are looking for some juicy gossip of what happened behind the scenes of these movies then this book is not for you. It focuses mo
The Kawaii Slartibartfast
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This book starts in the late 70s and ends in the mid 90s.
This book starts and ends with John Travolta.

I really enjoyed this book. It dug into history and the background of movie making and quite frankly it's astounding that many of them were made considering the drama. Wow!

There was even a chapter about the late 80's hip-hop movies like Breakin' and Krush Groove. (Wish it were longer, tbh.

I would definite
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I'd like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review. I was excited to read this when I saw it, but once I started reading it, it wasn't what I thought it was going to be. I was hoping for some more fun facts, less long chapters and maybe some photos, but still an interesting book.
Kayo
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Fun read. This is totally my era.
Book ends abruptly and it references John Travolta who isn't in any of the movies author speaks of. Weird.
Thanks to author,publisher and Netgalley for the chance to read this book. While I got the book for free,it had no bearing on the rating I gave it.
Jeff
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a book for film fans and geeks like myself. Which contains instant nostalgia especially if you Grew up during this decade and/or remember growing up watching these movies. Some of which come with a rude awakening watching now. While others still have the magic you remember. That you still get high off off

While waiting for the book TEEN MOVIE HELL to come out i happens upon this book and decided to give it a chance for. The title alone. I was not disappointed. This can be looked at as
L.H. Brown
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist
A must read for any fan of 80's Teen Movies.

I wasn't around in the 80's. ( '94 baby right here ) But I've loved so many of these movies mentioned for pretty much my entire life. I can't tell you how many times I've watched The Breakfast Club. It was great to dive in and read about the Hollywood history of this time.
Apr 04, 2019
Ramie
Apr 15, 2019
Ramie
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised at how difficult it was for me to get into this one at first. I love 80s teen movies, But then this book was confident enough to put the words “Ultimate history” in its title and to get to the movies we all think of when we think 80s teen movies, you have to examine what trends came before and how attitudes started shifting.

I think in the beginning of the book, there was a little much John Travolta for my liking. I don’t even have anything against him, I loved him in Welcome Bac
Lauren
Ashley
Mar 21, 2019
Jessica
Mar 23, 2019
James King is the author of four previous novels: Faking (1999), Blue Moon (2000), Transformations (2003), and Pure Inventions (2006). He is also the author of eight works of biography, the subjects of which include William Blake, Margaret Laurence, Jack McClelland, and Farley Mowat. His biography of Herbert Read, The Last Modern, was nominated for the Governor General's Literary Award. James King ...more