Start by marking “Summer Under the Stars” as Want to Read:
Summer Under the Stars

Summer Under the Stars

The laugh-out-loud new novel from the bestselling author, perfect for fans of Sarah Morgan, Jo Watson and Holly Martin.

Daisy’s had a tough year. After losing her mother and struggling with a job she hates, she really needs a break.

So, when her boyfriend suggests a summer getaway, Daisy jumps at the chance, organising a romantic trip to her friend Clemmy’s new glamping site
Published May 13th 2019 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Summer Under the Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Under the Stars

May 13, 2019 rated it it was ok

Well, I must admit, this was a disappointing read for me. I was full of hope and optimism when I started it, especially when it is cleverly revealed that Daisy’s mum has recently passed away, as Daisy is preparing to see a musical with her “mum”. However, from then on, it just fell flat and quite honestly, there is nothing new here that hasn’t already been done before.

The storyline was unoriginal and predictable. I did not find it funny, but tired. I thought there was so many places the plot co
Lisa Leone-campbell
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Daisy and Toby are a couple. Although opposites in just about everything, and Toby seeming to be more focused on work than Daisy, she still loves him. She especially loves Toby's mom and his brood of all brothers. It has given her a sense of family every since her mother passed away rather quickly this past year.

Daisy, who was adopted, had a wonderful childhood with a father and mother who adored her. With the loss of her mother life has been very difficult as she was her best cheerleader when i
Karen Whittard
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Catherine furguson always writes amazing feel good chicklit, sparkles with her wit, wisdom and humour. This book is like a great big hug, one that wraps it’s arms around you and manages to lift your soul making you feel lighter and making all your troubles melt away. Amazing.
Irena
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Guys, this was really good!!
Gaele
The second book I’ve read from this author, and I was seriously hoping for better development, a less indecisive heroine and some solid reasons to like her ‘love interest’. The underlying plot that involved Daisy’s grief at the loss of her adoptive mother and her questions (and ultimate search) for her birth mother did have me engaged and curious to see where the story would go. But I patently disliked Toby and found him selfish, self-serving and rather flat. When he’s been such a pill and decid ...more
Silke
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it

Summer Under the Stars was a book that caught my attention because of the beautiful cover. I absolutely loved the colors and the cuteness. And when I saw that it was recommended for fans of Holly Martin, I knew I needed to get my hands on it.

I have absolutely no idea who made the comparison with Holly Martin, but I can’t say I agree. This book is nowhere near the quality of Holly’s stories. It is chick lit at his best, predictable, not very original and full of insta-love.

But let’s sta
Charlie
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an early copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.

I'll start by saying that the underlying plot of this story - Daisy mourning for her adoptive mum and wanting to find her birth mother - was good. It was realistic and sad, and it bought a lump to my throat every time Daisy talked about how much she missed her. That was really the one element of the story I connected with.

But ohhhh, the instalove. A few days after meeting Jake, someone with
Anjana
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story had a pretty great start. We have an interesting protagonist, Daisy who is grieving and looking for a break. She has her fledgling career to nurse while trying to spend quality time with her boyfriend.

The setup was strong as were most of the supporting cast, but things moved too quickly for my liking. I was more invested in the boyfriend's family (as was Daisy, if we are being particular) and Daisy's search for her family history than in her life and troubles. Each scene moved too qu
Kimberly Lund
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was good. The main character, Daisy, is fun and hopeful. The plot — cute girl goes glamping and finds true love and her birth mom — is a fun twist on your typical chick lit/romance novel. I did have some issues with the pacing of the book, which I found too slow, and so many side characters I couldn’t keep track of them. It was a fun read but not a book that will stick with me in any way.
Eve beinguniquebooks
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thirty two year old Daisy has just lost her mum eleven days before her birthday musical treat was going to happen when we meet our main character.

Disappointment is evident in the beginning of the novel but also hope, she was adopted and so out there is her birth mum she would love to know about.

An aspiring writer too, her mum encouraged her and so she enters a competition in a magazine only her boyfriend Tom is always busy with work and hardly gives her attention even on his birthday glamping tr
Wendy
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feel-good
The blurb and the cover of Summer under the Stars had a bit of Jill Mansell look and feel. As a fan of Jill Mansell I requested the arc. And yay, the story was indeed as funny and cute as a book of Jill Mansell. We meet Daisy, who is very sad, because her mother has just died. Ever since growing up, her mother and she have been a team. And now she is on her own. Well, not literally, because she also has her very reliable (and somewhat boring) boyfriend Toby. In order to take her mind of her mum, ...more
Dawn
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by Catherine Ferguson, and I found it to be an easy, charming read.

Daisy, editor at a plumbing magazine, dreams of being an author and is reeling from the loss of her mother. Even though she was adopted, Daisy knows her real mom was the one she lived with, but cannot help but wonder about the young woman who gave up her baby 32 years ago.

Meanwhile, Daisy is dealing with her workaholic boyfriend's birthday and plans a lovely trip to her longtime friend's glamping ground. Tob
Rolé
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Daisy needs a pick-me-up. Her mother has passed away, her job is boring, and her boyfriend works all the time. So, she books a romantic getaway for a week to go glamping. Toby’s idea of a break is a bit different and he wasn’t all that taken with the outdoors-ness of the vacation.

Daisy finds herself with a lot of time on her hands once Toby makes it clear that he still has a lot of work to do, even though he is on vacation. She reconnects with her old friend, Clemmy, and meets Jake, a mysteriou
Paula Pugh
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Summer Under the Stars is such a lovely book about finding your way though things are messy or sad or just plain tired. Daisy is a hopeful novelist working a menial journalist job and dating Toby. Toby is not the best boyfriend but he comes with a lovely family that Daisy very much needs since her mother died.
Wanting to rekindle their romance, Daisy books a week long getaway to a glamping site owned by a friend of long ago. Toby is not the best of partners on the trip and on a day when he goes i
Valerie
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“And there, among the precious first editions of all the famous romance classics, it’s finally clear how we feel about each other.”

I almost never gravitate towards feel-good romance novels, they’ve just never been my thing but Summer Under the Stars really made a believer out of me. That happy ending, well it had me smiling from ear to ear and I couldn’t have wished for a more perfect ending. I empathized with the main character Daisy so so much, with her struggles of not believing that her wri
Emma
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had never read any books by this author before, but I was given the opportunity to read an ARC via Netgalley. I was drawn to the book by its beautiful cover.
Daisy is grieving the death of her Mother, and her also finds out that she is imminently about to be homeless. She moves in with her boyfriend of a couple of months, Toby. Their relationship rocky, so she decides to take him glamping for his birthday. Things go from bad to worse, until she bumps in to the mysterious Jake.
This book was an e
Samantha Ward
Apr 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Net Galley for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A cute, quick read...chick-lit at its core, which I’m always a sucker for. I found it to be a bit predictable at times, and there were a few too many side characters to keep up with as well. Since I’ve finished reading, I’ve found out there are other stand-alone books that came before this one that provided more info on some of those characters, but I just didn’t feel they were essential to this story as o
Sharon Naylor Toris
A light, fresh, breezy story, that wonderfully satisfying chick lit magic that lights you up and makes your time spent reading completely worth it. I loved the unique elements in the story (a getaway to a glamping site=so creative!) and the interplay between characters had a richness and playfulness to it. Fully enjoyable, and the perfect book to pick up after you've traveled through a heavy, huge, psychological thriller -- you just relax into it. Even where bits are predictable, it still works. ...more
Yahaira
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
*arc provided by netgalley via avon books uk in exchange for an honest review.

the premise of this book seemed like any other typical cliche book but it was surprisingly different. daisy, still reeling from the death of her mom, decides to take her boyfriend on a "glamping" trip with the hopes of meeting her birth mother. things happen quite quickly.

i feel like everything happened so fast??? also i suspected and predicted who her birth mother was from the moment she was introduced. other than t
Caitlin
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is perfect for fans of Sophie Kinsella! Summer Under the Stars is a great beach read with really likable characters. This was my first introduction to Catherine Ferguson but I will definitely read more of her work. This book brought tears to my eyes and also made me laugh in several scenes. It’s a story about love, friendship and family. Summer Under the Stars made me long to go glamping under the stars. Daisy was one of my favorite protagonists I have recently read. There was nothing ...more
Jordanne
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I finished Summer under the Stars a couple of days ago while traveling in England.

Daisy is an aspiring writer who world for a plumbing magazine. She wants to surprise her boyfriend Toby for his thirtieth birthday with a week glamping.

Her mother recently died and she is also trying to come to grips with that and finding out who her birth mother was.

Toby is more shocked than surprised by Daisy’s gift as he doesn’t like the outdoors. And then there’s Jake, an author who is camping near the Lake
Stephanie
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: popsugar-2019
Thank you Harper Collins for providing me a copy of this book in return for my honest review. Summer under the Stars is a modern chic lit romance novel. Daisy, the protagonist, is in a less than satisfactory relationship and recovering from the loss of her adoptive mother whom she was very close with. When she decides to take her boyfriend away for his 30th birthday everything changes for her. Some for the good and some for the not so good.
Although I found the story to be predictable it was a c
Alexis
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
" I was Given an Advanced copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review*

3/5

This book was fairly average. I felt as if nothing really stood out to be. The major plus was that it was a fast read, so when I did pick it up I got through it pretty quickly. I couldn't seem to connect all that much with the main character, and the plot was subpar in my opinion. There just wasn't really anything that caught my eye about this book. The romance was me, the characters were meh and the p
Kathleen Gray
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
You would think Daisy would know that Toby, her boyfriend, is not a camper. Not at all. Daisy is, however, at loose ends after the death of her adoptive mother and thinking about other things. The birthday glamping trip is a disaster in some ways but she does meet Jake, a sort of tortured writer. Regular chick lit readers can guess how this is going to go but Ferguson adds in other things- such as Daisy's birth mom- that up the ante. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. This is a quick read- well wr ...more
Tiffany
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rachel Kennedy
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read.

Daisy is off on a trip with her boyfriend Toby. The longer they are away the more she realises how different they are to each other. Then she meets Jake, who she has so much in common with. Will she give him a chance?

This book is linked to a few others by the same author, but I don't think it matters if you have read them or not.

An enjoyable read.

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for a voluntary and honest review.
Vikkie Wakeham
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an early copy of this book in return of an honest review. This was a cute and fun read, chick lit at its very best and perfect for fans of Sophie Kinsella, Cecelia Ahern, Jill Mansell, Kirsty McManus, etc.
I loved reading this and found I couldn’t put it down. I will definitely be looking for more by this author
Sharon
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
A nice enough summer read, though not remarkable and not a book I’d recommend to those that love chicklit.

3 stars.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my review.
Helen
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm now searching for glamping holidays after reading this book! I was transported into Daisy's world and stayed there until the very last page. There was lots of plots and sub plots and I enjoyed the twists and turns on her voyage of discovery. This would be a great book to read on holiday.
Christine Galletly
Review will be live on donnasbookblog on publication day - 13th May 2019!

"I really enjoyed this story, I did find it a little slow to stars with but it soon turned in to a warm and heart-felt story. I thought that the story flowed well once I was caught up in the story and it had a lovely ending too. It is four stars from me for this one, it is a real shame that I found the beginning a little too slow as I loved it by the end - highly recommended!"