Start by marking “Things We Say in the Dark” as Want to Read:
Things We Say in the Dark

Things We Say in the Dark

A shocking collection of dark stories, ranging from chilling contemporary fairytales to disturbing supernatural fiction, by a talented writer who has been compared to Angela Carter.

So here we go, into the dark.

Some things can’t be spoken about in the light of day. But we can visit our fears at night, in the dark. We can turn them over and weigh them in our hands and maybe
Published October 3rd 2019 by Harvill Secker

To ask other readers questions about Things We Say in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things We Say in the Dark

Kirsty
Sep 20, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this!

And it's launching in these places!

Things We Say in the Dark launch events

And some people have reviewed it!

"Just in time for Halloween comes Kirsty Logan’s deeply, deeply unsettling and brilliant collection of short stories. Some feature horror, nearly all feature dread and, in the manner of Shirley Jackson, all will burrow their way into your brain and not let go." - Stylist

"In a literary world seemingly saturated with gaudy horror that attempts to induce fear through the ill-treatment of women and the harmful othering
Hannah Rials
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stunning. Horrifying. The fastest I've ever read a short story collection. I can't get enough of this writer!
Heather
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Her best collection yet. Daring, challenging, dark and dreadful (in the most literal sense), this is a book about women's fears, human fears, the fears of being a person. This is a short story writer at the top of her game.
Caspian Reid
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adored this! I love horror but have found it hard to find horror books that capture a genuine unsettling feeling - this delivers in spades. I've loved Kirsty Logan's work for years, and reading this felt like a natural expansion of her previous works. The folklore, relationships, and smooth writing style are all familiar, but the depth of darkness and grossness are new. It felt real and present to see queer individuals and couples, not just as dying side characters but with their own plots and ...more
Callum McLaughlin
Sometimes a book sounds so tailored towards your taste that it could never possibly live up to your sky-high hopes. I fear that was the case for me with Logan’s Things We Say in the Dark, a collection of feminist horror stories that was easily one of my most anticipated releases of the year.

There are definitely lots of things to admire here. Logan’s prose is always readable, but it’s punctuated by moments of linguistic beauty, with vivid and evocative imagery peppered throughout. Some of these d
Katarína Laurošková
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book starts with a short introduction from the “author” herself, where she is set in Iceland, in a remote village without any distractions. The collection carries many autobiographical features, as Logan was actually writing this book in Iceland. From short passages, we can observe how the book is being written, which gives us a bit of break between individual stories. She wanted to add this dimension into the story as it gives the reader the feeling of comfort and realisation, that the stor ...more
Gabriela Pop
DNF'ed close-ish to the end.
I will say that is absolutely more on me than it is the book; I rarely find short story collections that appeal to me as a whole and I feel like while I can objectively admit that the stories were really smart and haunting and I can see what the author was trying to achieve, not enough of them struck a chord with me so that they'd keep me engaged and wanting to read on.
Quite a few of the ones in the first part of the book stood out to me and I think they were memora
Alexandra Pearson
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some of the stories here were worth 5 stars and some were worth 3 and some genuinely horrified me and made it hard to sleep, which is pretty hard to find. Kirsty Logan really managed to get into my head with this collection, and I loved the thread that was pulling it all together. I really enjoyed The Gloaming and this is a fabulous, incredibly dark follow-up.
Elizabeth
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Logan's best collection to date. Raw, scary, terrible and brutally honest. Horror stories for how we live now.
Eoin Mulligan
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mixing fairytales, feminism, body horror, domestic terror and sense of dread that grows page by page, Logan has threaded together a collection of stories unlike anything I’ve ever come across before. Perfect for fans of horror powerhouses like Shirley Jackson and Stephen King.
Daisy
Quality Rating: Four Stars
Enjoyment Rating: Four Stars

◆ Thank you Harvill Secker for the uncorrected proof! ◆

A girl leaves her window open to the monster that calls to her, while a couple explores treetops, caves and icy landscapes looking for the right home, and a woman sleeps with a marble man to escape a ghost. My favourites followed a Kelpie's revenge, a woman isolated in the city, and parents taking their child to an amusement park where things are not what they seem.
Kirsty's short story co
Siobhán
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you liked Kirsty Logan's other novels / short stories and don't mind it getting even darker, you might this collection. This is about female fears mostly (that's what it says in the description even though I find ascribing genders to emotions highly dubious), about bodies, desire, children, motherhood, and the darkness within. Especially the stories about becoming or a being a mother were scary in parts.

Things that are generally perceived as good and desirable are deconstructed and made wron
vgl3
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sadly, I fear my high expectations of this book are partly to blame for my lack of enjoyment. On the surface, this seemed exactly my type of short story collection - horrific, feminist twists on home, relationships and one’s own body. Unfortunately, and despite some lyrical writing, they were all too similar, becoming increasingly repetitive and indistinguishable, both in regards to language and imagery. I tried to space out my reading of them, hoping that distance would allow me to appreciate t ...more
Cait
Aug 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
i’m desperate to read this. UGH
Alice
Karen
Sep 29, 2019
Dawn Kurtagich
Oct 15, 2019
Kirsty Logan is a professional daydreamer. She is the author of two novels, The Gloaming and The Gracekeepers, and two story collections, A Portable Shelter and The Rental Heart & Other Fairytales. Her fifth book, Things We Say in the Dark, will be published on Halloween 2019.

Kirsty lives in Glasgow with her wife and their rescue dog. She has tattooed toes.