Start by marking “The Survival of Molly Southbourne” as Want to Read:
The Survival of Molly Southbourne

The Survival of Molly Southbourne

(Molly Southbourne #2)

Tade Thompson returns to his "bloody exploration of of identity and self in a changed world" (Publishers Weekly) in The Survival of Molly Southbourne.

Who was Molly Southbourne? What did she leave behind?

A burnt-out basement. A name stained in blood. Bodies that remember murder, one of them left alive. A set of rules that no longer apply.

Molly Southbourne is alive. If she
Published July 9th 2019 by Tor.com

Start your review of The Survival of Molly Southbourne
Sara
The Murders of Molly Southbourne was one of my favourite novellas, so on learning there was going to be a sequel I was really excited, and intrigued, as to how the story could be continued given the rather definitive ending. This picks up the action right where it finished, and doesn’t let go until the very last word. It’s full on, bringing a range of emotions and fights, so the reader feels completely consumed by Molly and her ongoing battle with life.

Scattered throughout the short chapters
K.J. Charles
A terrific sequel to the bloody and violent The Murders of Molly Southbourne, extending the exceedingly weird and haunting world with a lot of bleakness but this time just a slight glimmer of hope to lighten it.

Very well written, and as you can tell from the fact that I glommed it over lunchtime on publication day, really compelling stuff. Perfectly paced too. A great pair of examples of how to do the novella form.
The Captain
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Ahoy there me mateys! While I try to post no spoilers, if ye haven’t read the first book in this series, the murders of molly southbourne, then ye might want to skip this post and go read the first book. Worth the read. If ye keep reading this log then ye have been forewarned and continue at yer own peril . . . . . .

The first book in this series was weird, awesome, and fabulous. And bloody. It could have been a standalone but I have to admit that I was glad when I found out there was going to be
Sana
'Oh, sweet holy fuck, I'm seeing things. I don't have enough enemies, so I have to invent them.'

I love how this and The Murders of Molly Southbourne are both about survival but approach it in completely different ways. I actually had no idea where this was going but essentially, it is about the main character finding herself and that was done beautifully.

Each of the mollys are different from each other but they do have something that's inherently Molly and so it's never hard to distinguish
Lindsay
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting sequel to a novella that I didn't really care for, but appreciated for the quality of the writing. I liked this one much more, and there are answers here for nagging questions from the first story. And even more questions, and just as much gross-out gore.
Lata
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this. The story is quiet, and deals with the dislocation of the molly saved by Molly Southbourne in book one, and how molly copes with living. She's uneasy with life, and doesn't know how to be a person for the longest time, drifting from one thing to the other before learning more about the history of the mollys. And others like her.
Stephen
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the first. I hope Mr. Thompson keeps writing these. We've still not learned all there is to learn about Molly.
Emily
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"My short life has been full of pain and darkness. I am weary of it."

The Survival of Molly Southbourne is the sequel to The Murders of Molly Southbourne, and I adore this sci-fi horror novella duology! The Molly Southbourne stories are creative, unsettling, mysterious, and so entertaining. I don't want to say too much because it's really fun to see how everything works in these stories & I don't want to spoil anything. Just know that you definitely need these books in your life. I did enjoy
Maggie Gordon

Creeptastic and Horror-if-ic
The Second Half of A Complete Story
Science Fiction

MY THOUGHTS

The first book introduced a very disturbing story...that quite literally blew my mind with its sheer craziness. Unfortunately, the second book felt a little like he didn't really know where he wanted to go with the story...almost as if he was never really planning on continuing the story at all. Like an idea that never fully formed.

I want to say it was
FanFiAddict
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating:

Synopsis

Who was Molly Southbourne? What did she leave behind?

Molly Southbourne is alive. If she wants to survive, she’ll need to run, hide, and be ready to fight. There are people who remember her, who know what she is and what she’s done. Some want her alive, some want her dead, and all hold a piece to the puzzles in her head. Can Molly escape them, or
Tammy
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: Another strange and bloody tale, part horror, part sci-fi, and one hundred percent WTF.

The first book in the series, The Murders of Molly Southbourne , was a bloody, violent surprise of a story, a horror tale steeped in mystery where the reader is in the dark about what’s going on for quite a while. To catch unfamiliar
Thomas
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, horror, e-book
What made The Murders of Molly Southbourne so good was that Thompson took the premise (any time Molly bled, a murderous duplicate of herself was born) and followed that premise through to its logical end. I didn't see how he could write a sequel to the story, but he surprised me with how he took the premise in a new direction.

The problem is that the ending just isn't satisfying. For all that he builds up the story, he fizzles out when it's time to bring it to a close. It was a wild ride getting
Lee Anderson drunkonbookz
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
"I am holding a telephone while watching a house burn.
'Please hold', says the voice on the other end of the line."

I have been waiting not very patiently for this sequel to The Murders Of Molly Southbourne for way too long. I opened the book and I was hooked by the very first line.
I'm not a fan of sci-fi but this sci-fi horror is so suspenseful and sadisticly entertaining it's impossible not to enjoy.

I highly recommend this duology to all lovers of horror and dark fiction.
Heather
My standards must’ve been too high after reading The Murders of Molly Southbourne. This one just didn’t do anything for me. I expected much more than what was provided. I still enjoyed the concept though.
Hellcat Mental
Not a bad read, but I didn’t love it like I loved the original.
Donna
Molly finds another woman like her who creates clones of herself every time she bleeds.

I enjoyed the first Molly Southbourne book, but I didn't think there needed to be a sequel. The author goes in different directions with this one, though, so it ended up being worth the read. This Molly isn't as concerned with survival on a daily basis, so instead we join her in her confused mind, including a stint in an insane asylum. Why do the mollys all want to kill each other? Why are they created? This
Kalin
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Racheal
This is as compellingly written as the first in the series, but I had to DNF due to an uncomfortable amount of fatphobia.

Examples:

The professor gains 22 lbs in 2 months and it says that"he has ballooned in size. His clothes are ill fitting, his cheeks are swollen, squeezing his eyes into slits"

Molly spends an indeterminate amount of timecontained somewhere that feels relatively short (like 1-2 months at most.. if the author wanted it to be longer he didn't do a good job of setting it up), and
Autumn
2.5 stars, so I'll round up to 3.

Though like its predecessor I finished this one in one sitting, it just didn't have the same effect on me. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as the first one. It was lacking the creepy factor and the ending wasn't nearly as satisfying. I also felt like there were some side plots/characters that could have been explored more and added more depth. Overall still a decent read, just doesn't stand as strong next to the first book.
Rick Brose
The first book in this series was so cool. The concept was unique. It was fun and violent; utter craziness. This follow up never gave me a good reason why it needs to exist. Diving deeper into the mechanics of this world takes away from the concept as a whole, and ultimately, this novella never feels like it goes anywhere.
Elise
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Good, but not quite as good as the first. Is that it though? Is this the end or are there going to be more books because if this is the end, it's kind of unsatisfying. I still have questions!
Lauren Salisbury
Holy fuck can Tade Thompson write. There is just really crazy awesome craft happening here. Thompson is able to develop more complex characters and plot a truly thrilling and horrific storyline in an incredibly short time. I devoured this in one frantic sitting.
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adore these books. Such a uniquely fascinating concept.
The Book
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popular-fiction
Urgh...the first one was so good, and this one was so not.
Kathy
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book was so much better. This was good but lacked something.
Beth
I got a copy of this from NetGalley in exchange for a review. First, I love this series. It works on so many levels. I love it as a straight forward sci-fi novella. I love it as horror. I love it as social commentary on self-love and self-hate. That said, I adore book 2 on all of those levels plus one more. Is it commentary on the way women are conditioned to treat ourselves and each other?
The Molly Southbourne series is well worth your time. They are short stories with onion-like layers that
Kurt
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different book than the first. Kind of the existential flip side of the first book's dagger coin. I give the author credit: it's a somewhat ballsy move. It also facilitates answers to unresolved questions. Some might find this pivot too pat; I say it's well done, like a very nice movie sequel that resolves the whole story, and you leave feeling you got your money's worth... but weren't blown away like you were when you saw the first of the series.

In short: if you read the first and liked it,
Mike
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing. The first Molly Southbourne book has such a unique and original premise, but book two just seems all over the place. The story jumps from one twist to the next without any real natural flow, and in the end book two is just kind of a shoulder shrug. Meh. Didn't need it.
Mandy
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't as engaging as book #1, but I'm still interested in where book #3 Is headed
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Longer
  • Her Silhouette, Drawn in Water
  • Ragged Alice
  • The Ascent to Godhood (Tensorate, #4)
  • The Border Keeper
  • The Gurkha and the Lord of Tuesday
  • Silver in the Wood (The Greenhollow Duology, #1)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You
  • Ormeshadow
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • The Return of the Incredible Exploding Man

Molly Southbourne (2 books)
  • The Murders of Molly Southbourne (Molly Southbourne, #1)