Start by marking “The Fire Opal Mechanism (Gemworld #2)” as Want to Read:
The Fire Opal Mechanism (Gemworld #2)

The Fire Opal Mechanism

(Gemworld #2)

The Fire Opal Mechanism is the fast-paced and lively sequel to Fran Wilde's The Jewel and Her Lapidary

Jewels and their lapidaries and have all but passed into myth.

Jorit, broke and branded a thief, just wants to escape the Far Reaches for something better. Ania, a rumpled librarian, is trying to protect her books from the Pressmen, who value knowledge but none of the human
Published June 4th 2019 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about The Fire Opal Mechanism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fire Opal Mechanism

Melliane
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I didn’t know this novel at all, and this being the second volume of a fantasy series, I was a little afraid of being lost. However, I am glad to tell you that no, that was not the case here, and I had a very good time with this short story.

Ania does everything she can to protect the books that are gradually disappearing but it’s not easy… So when she meets Jorit, who came to steal some of her books to sell them in order to escape from all this hell, she didn
Jeremy Brett
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a longtime fan of Fran Wilde and her beautiful fiction, I cherish her new entry in her Gem Universe series. "Fire Opal Mechanism" is wonderful, and a worthy successor to "The Jewel and Her Lapidary". It's a lovely story of bravery and determination in the face of a changing world.

I appreciate the book even more as a librarian and archivist. Wilde gives us a world sundered by a violent debate over the true nature of knowledge. If all knowledge were given open and freely to all, is that a net g
C. S.
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, netgalley
This is a beautiful puzzle of a novella, an updated spin on Farenheit 451 with a fantasy setting and time travel. As always, I really savored Wilde's prose, and her overall authorial vision is quite enchanting.

Would recommend for fans of fantasy, time travel, hero librarian stories, and f/f romances.
Marzie
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-paper
4.5 Stars bumped because I just love the underlying message here.

Fran Wilde's second book in the Gemworld series takes place long after the events of her Hugo Award-nominated novelette, The Jewel and Her Lapidary. Set in the Far Reaches, we see a treacherous time where the nature of knowledge itself is explored. Ania, a librarian, working in a university library, is struggling against losing odds to safeguard her books from being destroyed and churned into pulp by a group called the Pressman who
Amy A
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
3.5

Originall posted at Vampire Book Club

When the Pressmen come to the Far Reaches looking to confiscate all the books so they can form their Universal Compendiums of Knowledge, librarian Ania seems to be the only holdout, wanting to protect the knowledge her books hold rather than give it up to some faceless group to decide what garners passing along to the masses.

Meanwhile Jorit, branded a thief, is looking for a way out of the Far Reaches, and teaming up with Ania seems to be the best option s
Jo Ladzinski
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Read the eARC provided by NetGalley

This book was such a tightly-paced timey-whimey adventure. Something goes wrong in the archives of the Pressmen, and a Librarian, a Thief, and an intern go on trial for a clock breaking down and literally stealing the ink from books.

The exploration of different time periods in the Gemworld was so well-done. The time travel went flawlessly, and the main characters were just visitors in realms where they have to be careful of what they can reference and the names
Susan
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic second trip to the Jewel world, traveling through time to save knowledge and critical thought. I cannot wait for more.
Pamela
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh this book... I realized at the last page (that ending! gasp! the feels!) that I had been holding my breath the whole time, and what a beautiful, breathless journey it was. This is by far the coolest time-traveling-librarian-slash-gem-whisperer-with-a-side-of-girl-power-saves-the-world story ever. I just want to go back in time and read it again for the first time.
Bentgaidin
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'The Fire-Opal Mechanism' is a really enjoyable short story about a last librarian, a knowledge-devouring organization, and accidental time travel, along with a cute lesbian romance to tie it all together. If you like magical gems, have thoughts about the destruction of books, or want a story about resolving the sins of the past in the present, this is very worth reading.
Clare Rhoden
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cracking read - very fast paced - more detail after other review commitments.
Liz (Quirky Cat)
I received a copy of The Fire Opal Mechanism through NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

The Fire Opal Mechanism is the second novel in the Gemworld series. I was a little conflicted about this novella. On the one hand – I desperately wanted to see more of this world. On the other hand, I wasn't quite over the heartbreak caused by The Jewel and Her Lapidary (a brilliant novella, but one that hit me on an emotional level).
The world has changed since the time of The Jewel and He
Jaime Moyer
I loved this. No one can change the past, but the future is a blank book, waiting for you to write in it.

I want more books in the Jewel Series, and I'd love love love a full novel.

Wholeheartedly recommended.
Jun 15, 2019
Greg Hullender
Jun 06, 2019
Jay Harris
rated it did not like it
Jun 22, 2019
Amy
Jun 04, 2019
Bekah
Jun 06, 2019
Fran Wilde writes award-winning speculative fiction and fantasy. She can also tie a number of sailing knots, set gemstones, and program digital minions. She reads too much and is a friend of the Oxford comma. Her short stories appear in Asimov's, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Shimmer, Uncanny, and Tor.com.

Fran's debut novel, Updraft, was nominated for a 2015 Nebula Award, won the 2015 Andre Norton Awar

Gemworld (2 books)
  • The Jewel and Her Lapidary (Gemworld #1)