Start by marking “Silver in the Wood” as Want to Read:
Silver in the Wood

Silver in the Wood

There is a Wild Man who lives in the deep quiet of Greenhollow, and he listens to the wood. Tobias, tethered to the forest, does not dwell on his past life, but he lives a perfectly unremarkable existence with his cottage, his cat, and his dryads.

When Greenhollow Hall acquires a handsome, intensely curious new owner in Henry Silver, everything changes. Old secrets better l
Published June 18th 2019 by Tor.com

Acqua
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Silver in the Wood reads like a forest fairytale. It could be seen like a loose m/m retelling of the Green Man myths, so it's fitting that this is a story about rebirth and reawakening, not only of nature after spring but of people after toxic relationships.

It's a quiet, slow story, and if at first I thought that the pacing was odd - things happen too quickly, but the book is still slow? - I realized that in a way it was a reflection of how the main character, who is part of the wood, experience
Ashleigh | Wild Heart Reads
Silver in the Wood is a lyrical dream of a book. In just over 100 pages Tesh transports you to a whole other world, where magic lives deep within the forest and other-worldly beings walk.

This was such a gorgeous little volume. I fell in love with Tesh's descriptions of Greenhollow, and Tobias. It's lush and vibrant. It's a spell that is woven around you slowly, bring you into the deep dark green.

The relationship between Tobias and Silver lovely to watch unfold. It's a subtle thing and creeps up
Holly (The Grimdragon)
"Slow and green he felt the life of it, the life that had been his life as well these four centuries past. It poured around him thick and steady, binding all together: the long patient strength of the trees that anchored, the deep bright power of the handful of dryads--Tobias felt Bramble clear as day among them, young and strong--and then the small and necessary, the bracken and ferns, the mosses and mushrooms. Here were the songbirds and ravens and solemn wide-winged owls, shy deer and burrowi ...more
Kristen Burns
3 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book via NetGalley. This has not influenced my review.*

I liked certain elements of this novella, but others just didn’t work for me.

I think this was just too short for anything to be very developed or for me to feel any connection to or between the characters. It’s not that novellas can’t be good, just that maybe this particular idea needed a longer book. The main character (Tobias) didn’t have much personality, the two characters hardly interacted much
Magali
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
listen. LISTEN. this book is the Book Of My Heart and i wish i could give it 6 stars because it deserves it.

in this house, we stan TWO (2) idiot morons: tobias “i’m a very, very, very tired homosexual and i just wish to rest” finch and henry “oh wow! so convenient how there’s only one bed!! have i mentioned that my resume reads ‘certified monster-fucker’? lol i love tropes!!!!!!” silver. (LEGENDS ONLY.)

this book is EVERYTHING i love about myth and faery and the power of story mixed with “okay b
Freya Marske
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
GREEN MAN FOLKLORE, BUT MAKE IT GAY. This may not be perfect for everyone but it's damn well perfect for me: a gorgeous, subtle masterpiece of a fairytale about green woods and old evils, which also manages to be a hilarious story about what you do when your Terrible Ex and your mother-in-law both invade your lovely private house in the same week. The narrative voice is understated and wry and yet totally evocative of both magical imagery and quiet, strong, deep-running emotion.
Meghan
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Silver in the Wood is a charming novella, filled with beautiful prose and imagery. It's a sweet, quick read and leaves you feeling happy. The characterization was done exceptionally well. You can really feel the vibes of the characters and connect with them. I think this is the only book I have ever read in which kindness is truly felt, and it gives you insight into what it means to be genuine and selfless.

Loved it.
c,
On my blog.

Rep: gay mcs

Galley provided by publisher

If you’re like me, sometimes you just don’t have the patience to read a full length novel. Sometimes, all you want to do is read novellas because you can get through them quicker when your concentration is shot. So, really, Silver in the Wood was the perfect story.

It’s about Tobias, a man who lives on the edge of the wood. He isn’t an ordinary man – he knows dryads and keeps the people of the village safe when he needs to. And then one day Hen
Ash | EmeraldBookOwl
ARC kindly provided by Macmillan-Tor/Forge via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

This is a novella/short story- checking in at 112 pages.

gay and fae; old forests, forgotten gods
Emmy Neal
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
HOW DID SHE MAKE ME FALL IN LOVE WITH A TREE HOW DID SHE DO THAT
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Silver in the Wood was a pretty enjoyable read, but I found it mostly forgettable -- and I feel so bad saying that as I was highly anticipating its release. It's a loose retelling of the Green Man myths, which I've always found so interesting.

This book is marketed as a romance and it is -- to a certain extent. But unfortunately the love interests don't interact for much of the book, and even when they do, its quick encounters. I guess because Silver in the Wood is a novella, they had to get on
Pie
Jan 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
APPARENTLY THIS IS LIKE UPROOTED BUT GAY AND I AM HERE FOR THAT.
The Artisan Geek
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookcase
30/4/19
What a cute, endearing and eerie story!! I enjoyed it a lot!! My review will be up soon! :)

29/4/19
The people over at Tor.com were so kind to send me a copy of this lovely book! A sincere thank you to them!! I will be finishing it off tomorrow and writing up my review for Youtube this week! :D

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
Bethany
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silver in the Wood is a lovely, atmospheric little novella about an ancient wood, fae, the Green Man, and queer love. Tobias is a big, gruff man who lives in a cabin in the woods, and he isn't quite human, though perhaps he once was. When a young man named Silver walks into his life and slowly charms him, everything begins to change and an ancient evil threatens to destroy their burgeoning relationship. It's a short book, but there is a sense of depth to the world, a rootedness in mythology, and ...more
Kaa
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked the characters and enjoyed the way the story re-told the old Green Man stories, but without a doubt my favorite aspect of this book was the beautiful way it talked about and described the forest. I got chills from how vivid and enthralling the language was, giving me as the reader a feeling of actually being part of the forest as well. Completely lovely.
Lauren James
[Gifted by the publishers]
Imaginative, beautifully written and evocative, this is a love story of magic, fairies, imprisoned souls and sentient trees. Short and wonderfully sweet.
Lisa The Novel Approach
Emily Tesh’s Silver in the Wood is a Green Man story, a little bit fairy tale and a whole lot of magic wrapped up in a writing style that flows like poetry off the page. This isn’t a story of man vs. nature as much as it is a story of man is nature, and though I don’t have synesthesia in any form, this story made me feel the color green and sense the divinity of the forest in the way we know things from instinct.

Tobias Finch is the forest. For four-hundred years he’s been its keeper and caretake
Jenia
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny thing, to be flirted with by a pretty young fellow who wore expensive coats.

Oh my god this book is so cute??????
Cait
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a charming and haunting book that just makes me want to get lost in the woods and turn into a tree.
Megan
Remember when I said I liked achy books?

Books that read like soft moss and misty afternoons, books that feel like walking though leaf mold in the forest in mid-October when everything is chill in the sunlight, books that glimmer like fog curling around the trees in your backyard and make you want to go run your hands through it even though you know you can't touch it.

Remember when I said I liked books that make your heart feel a little bit like it has a deep, soft-edged abyss sitting just bene
Iona Sharma
Apr 20, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019
Lovely weird-ancient English folklore, queer & deep.
Kirsty ~ Paper Hearts Ink
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful! It was lyrical and moody and completely engrossing. Tobias is such a strange but endearing character. The chemistry between him and Henry was subtle but powerful. The descriptions of the wood were hypnotic and magical. I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed it and my only criticism would be that it ended too soon! Brilliant.

eARC kindly provided by Tor/Forge via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Helen Kord
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favourites, m-m
This book was exactly what I hoped it would be.
Lyrical, soft atmosphere, full of folklore and magic, with sweet and gentle romance. A kind rugged woodsman living alone in the woods with his cat, a young charming folklorist who wants to know more about him and the legends of the woods, a mysterious dark force....... It's the best kind of combination for a book and I can't wait to see what the author writes next
Kelsea
May 19, 2019 added it
Shelves: reviewed, arc
I actually feel kinda awful not giving this book a shining review, because it’s a really beautiful story and I think a lot of people will love it.

Silver in the Wood is one of those books that either catches you or it doesn’t. I’d liken it to books like Uprooted, The Bear and the Nightingale, Spinning Silver, and Deathless -- not in the storyline itself, though all of those involve fairytale elements, but in that the experience of the book is more important than the plotline. And those are all bo
Elizabeth A
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this back when it was posted online & cannot for the life of me discern what changes were made for publication—it was exactly as atmospheric & delightful as I remembered. If you're in the market for a queer novella that gives you a centuries-old soured romance with fay undertones, a smoll cinnamon roll folklorist falling for a hulking sweetheart of a forest guardian, a battleaxe mama coming to the rescue with her pearl-handled revolver & silver bullets, and lots and lots of tr ...more
E
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Something old and something new

I really enjoyed this. It took the heart of the Green Man ideal and made an interesting story. It has the feeling of a fairytale being somewhat timeless but also pokes gentle fun at the idea of fairy lords.
Kerry
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is a lovely, pleasant work of fantasy that is a new take on an old myth. Well-developed and executed, it reads smoothly and the plot unfolds without a hitch.
Drianne
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, m-m, historical
A lovely short story. I usually really dislike things that are short, but this was long enough to make its point. Nice English folklore based story.
Sarah (CoolCurryBooks)
Review pending.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Monster of Elendhaven
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • Upon a Burning Throne (Burnt Empire Saga, #1)
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • The Affair of the Mysterious Letter
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence, #2)
  • The Perfect Assassin (The Chronicles of Ghadid, #1)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Ninth House, #1)
  • Unconquerable Sun (The Sun Chronicles #1)
  • The Deep
  • Do You Dream of Terra-Two?
  • The Women's War (Women's War, #1)
  • Waste Tide
  • Motherland
  • Miranda in Milan
  • Winds of Marque: Blackwood  Virtue
EMILY TESH grew up in London and studied Classics at Trinity College, Cambridge, followed by a Master's degree in Humanities at the University of Chicago. She now lives in Hertfordshire.
“He knew it the same way the woodsman knew it, because he knew trees: but he also knew it with the knowledge of the Wild Man of Greenhallow, who felt every slow green beat of the forest's heart.” 1 likes
“he never has a court and is always fundamentally alone:” 0 likes