Start by marking “Silver in the Wood” as Want to Read:
Silver in the Wood

Silver in the Wood

There is a Wild Man who lives in the deep quiet of Greenhollow, and he listens to the wood. Tobias, tethered to the forest, does not dwell on his past life, but he lives a perfectly unremarkable existence with his cottage, his cat, and his dryads.

When Greenhollow Hall acquires a handsome, intensely curious new owner in Henry Silver, everything changes. Old secr
Published June 18th 2019 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about Silver in the Wood, please sign up.
David Burkam I'm not sure what would make this an "adult!" book. Because two men kiss? Happens in lots of YA books. In fact the LGBT section of YA fiction has…moreI'm not sure what would make this an "adult!" book. Because two men kiss? Happens in lots of YA books. In fact the LGBT section of YA fiction has exploded in the last two decades. Even the fantasy violence is rather tame in comparison to other YA fantasy novels. YA books often feature teenage characters (this short book does not). The book is not marketed as YA, but a teenager could certainly read and enjoy it.(less)
ghost-hermione not sure if it's fantasy really but this book reminded me a lot of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight so it might be a good place to start.
Pratchett's…more
Pratchett's Discworld Witches books have a similar feel to it at times, I'm thinking especially of Lords and Ladies, which you can read on its own or after Wyrd Sisters.(less)

Start your review of Silver in the Wood
Acqua

Silver in the Wood reads like a forest fairytale. It could be seen like a loose m/m retelling of the Green Man myths, so it's fitting that this is a story about rebirth and reawakening, not only of nature after spring but of people after toxic relationships.

It's a quiet, slow story, and if at first I thought that the pacing was odd - things happen too quickly, but the book is still slow? - I realized that in a way it was a reflection of how the main character, who is part of the wood, experienced/>Silver
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Wow. Wow. I can't believe I didn't read this sooner, because once I started it, I devoured it in a single sitting. I didn't expect it to be so beautiful and so emotional. I'll review this once I can stop feeling too many things 😭 RTC
Ashleigh | Wild Heart Reads
Silver in the Wood is a lyrical dream of a book. In just over 100 pages Tesh transports you to a whole other world, where magic lives deep within the forest and other-worldly beings walk.

This was such a gorgeous little volume. I fell in love with Tesh's descriptions of Greenhollow, and Tobias. It's lush and vibrant. It's a spell that is woven around you slowly, bring you into the deep dark green.

The relationship between Tobias and Silver lovely to watch unfold. It's a sub
Meghan
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Silver in the Wood is a charming novella, filled with beautiful prose and imagery. It's a sweet, quick read and leaves you feeling happy. The characterization was done exceptionally well. You can really feel the vibes of the characters and connect with them. I think this is the only book I have ever read in which kindness is truly felt, and it gives you insight into what it means to be genuine and selfless.

Loved it.
K.J. Charles
A sweet, shortish m/m fantasy romance novella, with a folklore-ish background. Fans of T Kingfisher will like this, though it doesn't quite have the bite under the kindness that makes Kingfisher exceptional. It's a very nice read, though I have to admit the cover (and publisher) primed me to expect something a lot darker and stranger, so I felt slightly off the mark throughout, which is my problem rather than the book's. The cover is stunning, mind.
Magali
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
listen. LISTEN. this book is the Book Of My Heart and i wish i could give it 6 stars because it deserves it.

in this house, we stan TWO (2) idiot morons: tobias “i’m a very, very, very tired homosexual and i just wish to rest” finch and henry “oh wow! so convenient how there’s only one bed!! have i mentioned that my resume reads ‘certified monster-fucker’? lol i love tropes!!!!!!” silver. (LEGENDS ONLY.)

this book is EVERYTHING i love about myth and faery and the power of story mixed
Holly (The Grimdragon)
"Slow and green he felt the life of it, the life that had been his life as well these four centuries past. It poured around him thick and steady, binding all together: the long patient strength of the trees that anchored, the deep bright power of the handful of dryads--Tobias felt Bramble clear as day among them, young and strong--and then the small and necessary, the bracken and ferns, the mosses and mushrooms. Here were the songbirds and ravens and solemn wide-winged owls, shy deer and burrowi ...more
Freya Marske
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
GREEN MAN FOLKLORE, BUT MAKE IT GAY. This may not be perfect for everyone but it's damn well perfect for me: a gorgeous, subtle masterpiece of a fairytale about green woods and old evils, which also manages to be a hilarious story about what you do when your Terrible Ex and your mother-in-law both invade your lovely private house in the same week. The narrative voice is understated and wry and yet totally evocative of both magical imagery and quiet, strong, deep-running emotion.
Kristen Burns
3 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book via NetGalley. This has not influenced my review.*

I liked certain elements of this novella, but others just didn’t work for me.

I think this was just too short for anything to be very developed or for me to feel any connection to or between the characters. It’s not that novellas can’t be good, just that maybe this particular idea needed a longer book. The main character (Tobias) didn’t have much personality, the two characters/>
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This was a fun and imaginative debut novella. I read it in one sitting and it was pretty good. But, like with most novellas, I felt like there was more lore stuffed in here for this short of a story. I wanted more and I felt like a longer story would have gotten me more attached to Tobias and Henry. Along with fully fleshed out their relationship because I wasn't that into it being romantic. They barely had chemistry as friends for me.

In the end, a good story but there were things th
c,
On my blog.

Rep: gay mcs

Galley provided by publisher

If you’re like me, sometimes you just don’t have the patience to read a full length novel. Sometimes, all you want to do is read novellas because you can get through them quicker when your concentration is shot. So, really, Silver in the Wood was the perfect story.

It’s about Tobias, a man who lives on the edge of the wood. He isn’t an ordinary man – he knows dryads and keeps the people of the village safe when he needs to. And then one day/>Galley
Matthew Galloway
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think this was the story I really needed tonight. Is a quick little novella, but full to the brim with beautiful writing. In some ways both characters felt like different aspects of myself which, in a way, is odd because there’s attraction between the two of them. And I needed this story of how a beautiful thing can grow from a traumatic thing, that lives and forests have many lives, that for every terrible thing in nature, there is also something beautiful. That life doesn’t have to be solita ...more
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a queer little book in every sense of the word. Silver in the Wood is high on atmosphere, yet low on characterization and plot - not necessarily a criticism for a book that clocks in at just over 100 pages. I enjoyed it without feeling satisfied by it, if that makes any sense.

The story revolves around the mysterious Tobias Finch, a giant who has lived in a cottage in the woods of Greenhallow...for several centuries. His companions are a cat named Pearl, and an overprotective dryad called Br
James
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is honestly such a short book. I read it in two short sittings, and now I’m sad that it’s over.

Story Summary
This is the story of Tobias and Henry. Basically Henry Silver wanders through the forest and accidentally walks near Tobias’s cottage. Thanks to magic and such Henry doesn’t notice a thing until Tobias calls out to him and lets him in. From there the two f them grow closer and closer, but there’s also something dark in this forest. Something they both are going to have to deal with.

Favo
Jack
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-release, kindle
So, romance as a genre isn't something I normally dive into. No particular reason, really. I feel like I might need to change that after reading Silver in the Wood, as this was such a delightful read. Everyone on my Twitter feed seems to be talking about it for the last few weeks and months, and they're not wrong. It is a great little story. Possibly there were some pacing issues for me towards the end, but maybe that is just the style of the genre and something that's commonly done. That said t ...more
ash | emeraldbookowl
ARC kindly provided by Macmillan-Tor/Forge via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

This is a novella/short story- checking in at 112 pages.

gay and fae; old forests, forgotten gods
Emmy Neal
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
HOW DID SHE MAKE ME FALL IN LOVE WITH A TREE HOW DID SHE DO THAT
Gabi
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it

There were a lot of things I liked about this novella.

As somebody who spent most of the childhood hours in woods I'm always fascinated by this subject. It could have been even more wood description/interaction for my taste.

I very much like the length. There is no need for novel length narrations for a theme like this.

The incorporation of folklore also was well done. Especially old forests just cry for deeper mysteries.

And I lov
Pie
Jan 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
APPARENTLY THIS IS LIKE UPROOTED BUT GAY AND I AM HERE FOR THAT.
Austine (NovelKnight)
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was provided by the publisher (via NetGalley). This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I'm not entirely sure what to say about Silver in the Wood. I liked it but I also felt like I was missing something. . . but also not? It was a weird feeling.

Novellas aren't usually what I go for when it comes to reading material but I liked the dark fairy tale vibe I got from the synopsis for this one and decided to give it a try! It's a quick read, probably took me no more thanabout Silver
Kathleen
A lovely, lyrical Green Man tale that was all too brief. Lush and atmospheric. Beautiful, austere prose. A very slowly developing romance with a clever twist in the storyline.
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Silver in the Wood was a pretty enjoyable read, but I found it mostly forgettable -- and I feel so bad saying that as I was highly anticipating its release. It's a loose retelling of the Green Man myths, which I've always found so interesting.

This book is marketed as a romance and it is -- to a certain extent. But unfortunately the love interests don't interact for much of the book, and even when they do, its quick encounters. I guess because Silver in the Wood is a novella, they had to get on
Megan
You know how sometimes you drink a glass of water and it's just, like, the best? You were just the right amount of thirsty, it was just the right amount of cold but not too cold, it doesn't have any weird aftertaste or anything floating in it, it's just pure and good and you down the whole glass in five big gulps.

The rare perfect glass of water and reading Silver in the Wood are two very similar experiences. This novella is just so easy to read. The prose is effortless, but that special kind of
Megan ❀
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gosh dang it this was so GOOD. It was TENDER and SWEET and GAY and my queer little heart loved it. Plus, that woodsy aesthetic this book had going on? It was just perfection.
Bethany
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silver in the Wood is a lovely, atmospheric little novella about an ancient wood, fae, the Green Man, and queer love. Tobias is a big, gruff man who lives in a cabin in the woods, and he isn't quite human, though perhaps he once was. When a young man named Silver walks into his life and slowly charms him, everything begins to change and an ancient evil threatens to destroy their burgeoning relationship. It's a short book, but there is a sense of depth to the world, a rootedness in mythology, and ...more
The Artisan Geek
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookcase
30/4/19
What a cute, endearing and eerie story!! I enjoyed it a lot!! My review will be up soon! :)

29/4/19
The people over at Tor.com were so kind to send me a copy of this lovely book! A sincere thank you to them!! I will be finishing it off tomorrow and writing up my review for Youtube this week! :D

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
Kaa
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked the characters and enjoyed the way the story re-told the old Green Man stories, but without a doubt my favorite aspect of this book was the beautiful way it talked about and described the forest. I got chills from how vivid and enthralling the language was, giving me as the reader a feeling of actually being part of the forest as well. Completely lovely.
Jocelyn
The atmosphere was perfection, but - as is my usual refrain when it comes to novellas - I just needed more story.
hedgehog
3.5 stars. This was originally posted on AO3 as an original work (source). I didn't read that version and don't know what changed before it was republished in this form. I did still get the sense throughout that Tesh had a background in fandom/fanfic, for what that's worth, re: pacing and certain tropes cropping up, the not-quite-there character work requiring the reader to do more mental gymnastics reading into the character dynamics ...more

• The Border Keeper
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • Desdemona and the Deep
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • The Rat-Catcher's Daughter (Lilywhite Boys, #0.5)
  • Sword Dance (Sword Dance, #1)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Gilded Cage (Lilywhite Boys #2)
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Her Silhouette, Drawn in Water
  • Proper English
  • The Gurkha and the Lord of Tuesday
  • Minor Mage
  • A Little Light Mischief (The Turner Series, #3.5)
  • The Ascent to Godhood (Tensorate, #4)
  • Gentleman Wolf (Capital Wolves Duet, #1)
EMILY TESH grew up in London and studied Classics at Trinity College, Cambridge, followed by a Master's degree in Humanities at the University of Chicago. She now lives in Hertfordshire.
“He knew it the same way the woodsman knew it, because he knew trees: but he also knew it with the knowledge of the Wild Man of Greenhallow, who felt every slow green beat of the forest's heart.” 1 likes
“Tobias had thought and thought about it, for four hundred years, until he’d reached the conclusion that Fabian must have loved him, after all, in his own way. That was the worst of it. The thing that woke now every year was always glad to see him.” 1 likes