Start by marking “Two of the Deadliest: New Tales of Lust, Greed, and Murder from Outstanding Women of Mystery” as Want to Read:

3.3  ·  Rating details ·  318 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
“Wicked little stories from old hands and relative neophytes.”

Seattle Times

There are seven deadly sins, and in this superb anthology, edited by Elizabeth George, some of the most able and original purveyors of crime fiction explore Two of the Deadliest. These “New Tales of Lust, Greed, and Murder from Outstanding Women of Mystery” feature sterling stories from Laura Lipp
Paperback, Large Print, 688 pages
Published July 21st 2009 by HarperLuxe (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Two of the Deadliest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two of the Deadliest

Sep 14, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good collection of short stories by some of today's leading women mystery writers and edited by my favorite mystery author, Elizabeth George. It also included 4 stories by never before published authors and their inexperience definitely showed! I was interested to realize what a glaring difference there was between the first timers and the experienced authors; I would not have thought that it would make that noticeable of a difference.
Ann Douglas
A compelling collection of stories that will have you re-thinking your definition of the word "mystery." Not a weak story in the bunch.
Emelie 🦉
Nov 18, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5... The first 5 stories was fine but then it was just a dry run.. Read the first and the last pages of each story toward the end and i still understood what the content of the story was!
Marisella
Jul 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
yay! EG seems to have recovered from that horrible period of time when she wrote "what happened before he shot her". Great stories
Diane
A quite uneven collection. I like that Elizabeth George included some previously unpublished authors, some of whom may have been in her creative writing classes. Did I read that somewhere? One or two of the stories were very good, but too many seemed rushed, crammed with unnecessary details, or as if the author was trying too hard to be clever.
Dolly
This is an entertaining (although quite disturbing at times) collection of short stories written by female authors. I really liked that the editor included a section of stories by unknown or previously unpublished authors.

I liked many of the tales, but I also found most of them to be a harsh critique of society today. With the main theme of lust and greed (the two featured deadly sins), I couldn't help but cringe at most of the behaviors depicted.

Only one of the stories , "Anything Helps", lef
Bücherplanet
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Ich bin Mitglied im Buchclub von MexxBooks und habe 'Denn dein ist die Sünde: Kriminalgeschichten' gelesen.

Ich bin ein großer Fan von Elizabeth George und habe ihre Krimis um Inspector Linley (vor allem die älteren) verschlungen. Leider gibt es die meisten ihrer Bücher noch nicht als eBook, zumindest nicht im deutschen Kindle-Shop. Daher habe ich mich sehr gefreut, als ich die Kriminalgeschichten entdeckt habe.

Elizabeth George ist hier Herausgeberin, nicht Autorin. Das war mir beim Kauf des Buch
Alison C
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two of the Deadliest is an anthology of original short mystery stories edited by Elizabeth George, creator of the Inspector Lynley series. The conceit is that each story involves either greed or lust, two of the "7 deadly sins," or both. For reasons I don't quite understand, the stories are all by female authors specifically - it's not clear to me why it was restricted in such a way, as that seems an arbitrary rule for such an anthology. Stories by Nancy Pickard, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Dana Sta ...more
JackieB
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were some very clever and subtle stories in here. Sometimes I had to think about how they related to lust and greed, but I don't mean that as a criticism: the authors had come up with some unusual and thought- provoking tales which made me think a bit. In many, the situation was not what it seemed at the beginning of the story. I'm really impressed that the writers could get such a lot into relatively few pages. Although obviously some appealed more to me than others,I don't think there wa ...more
Linda

I listened to most of the selections but did not complete three of the short stories. One reader was particularly abrasive, loud and aggressive and it was not a style that was good for me. I couldn't really listen to the story as the voice was very off putting. There were about six really good stories out of 23 in the collection. I really enjoyed the story about Jack London and his death. It was a story that i had not heard and kept me fascinated. I was disappointed in Elizabeth George’s story b
Kb
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The problem with a short story collection around such a narrow theme, with only women authors, selected by a lone editor is that there is not enough variety to make it memorable. In the end, the stories were so alike that they all blended into one another. Also, I confess that I much prefer realistic and plausible plots, which made many of the stories in this collection (including the one by Elizabeth George herself) unsatisfactory. I kept hoping to find a gem in the dross. Ultimately, I was dis ...more
Jan
Jul 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
This was a collection of short stories. As with most collections, some were really good and others were poor. Hence the 3 star rating. However, they were fun to listen too, and a few of the authors were good enough that I will look to see what else they have written ans maybe read some of their other work.
M.C.
Sep 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some stories were terrific, others fair to middling. Of the new authors, Z. Kelley's short brought tears to my eyes and was beautifully written. The story by a non-Irish author, Lisa Alber, although it caught the flavour of Eire, was laced with American terms and required, at the very least, an Irish beta reader.
Diane
It took me a while to finish listening to this book of short stories. Since it is compiled by Elizabeth George, a favorite author of mine, I expected more from it. Instead, I was left, as often happens with books of short stories, enjoying some, some not particularly, and some not at all. I'm thinking I should stay away from short stories.

It was just ok, in my opinion.
Jill
Apr 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really interesting anthology of short stories. Some of which I had read before and some were new to me. Overall it was a page turner for me, I could not put it down. There were some already established mystery writers and some that some new established authors. Its a really interesting take on two of the seven deadly sins.
Cyn Armistead
Jan 11, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the books in my first "mailbox books" shipment from the library, and the only dud.

To be fair, I only read part of the first story, and quit. It seemed to be building up to something from the point-of-view of one of those women who cracks and kills all her children, and I just didn't want to go there. Ick.
Katey
Nov 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, short-story
I will be honest. Since this was a book on tape, I fell asleep in the middle of it. But I did listen to the story by Allison Brennan on full alert and it was very good, I thought. But I will never listen to another book on tape again, unless I also have a copy of the book to follow along. But I happened to get this copy for free, so I took advantage of that.
Denise Dougherty
This was, for the most part, an entertaining group of short stories. Most of the authors were new to me and will certainly read more of their work. Some, as is to be expected, were sort of meh. The narrators were not equally talented and some stories I skipped simply because of the narrator's voice.

Test it for yourself - it was (mostly) fun.

DD@Phila
Isabella
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Steht groß Elizabeth George drauf, sie ist aber Herausgeberin, nicht Autorin, nur eine der Geschichten ist von ihr. Ich find die Stories durchwachesen, ein paar wären durchaus drei Sterne würdig, die meisten aber nicht.
Valissa
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not one for short stories, but this is the perfect type of that kind of book. Chewy, interesting, but not annoyingly short. Vignettes that offer mystery and shock, plus an introduction to characters and writers I'd not experienced before.
Judy
Sep 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edited by Elizabeth George, this collection of eighteen short stories, which were all written by female authors, deal with greed, anger, jealousy, sloth, lust, pride and any other deadly sin that you want to name.
Helle
Jan 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Short story collections have never been a favourite of mine, but usually there are a couple of stories that I really like. Not in this collection. Maybe one or two that were somewhat amusing at best, but most left no impression whatsoever and a few I actually found appalling.
Leslie
Jul 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfection! George's compilation of mystery stories centering on Lust and Greed of the seven deadly sins is the ultimate summer read. Each story is enjoyable - some do leave you wanting more than others - each is the perfect length to finish off before bed or at the pool.
Russeller
a collection of short stories that was good at the start then feel flat...
Nancy
Oct 17, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Easy-to-read collection of short stories by known and new authors. The art of the short story is underappreciated since magazines stopped running them.
MB (What she read)
Some very enjoyable stories in here.
R H
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read because on E G. Found some very good authors I am now following. Some stories could have been given more thought before being submitted, for the others, they were good to very good.
Bettynz
Oct 10, 2009 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
hmm
Really not in the mood for this. Read the 1st 2 stories, but then put aside for now.
Connie
May 06, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of diabolical short stories, all with interesting plots.
I liked the brevity of each story...no more than 20 pages, which made it
a perfect bedtime table book.
Janna
Oct 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only read the authors I knew: Pickard, Stabenow, Hart, Rozen, and Barnes. Good stories.
  • Nevada Barr Presents Malice Domestic (Malice Domestic, #10)
  • Motherhood Is Murder
  • Killer Year: A Criminal Anthology
  • Requiem for a Gypsy (Commander Jana Matinova, #4)
  • The Best of Sisters in Crime
  • Louisa and the Missing Heiress (A Louisa May Alcott Mystery, #1)
  • The Secret Goldfish: Stories
  • The PEN/O. Henry Prize Stories 2012: Including stories by John Berger, Wendell Berry, Anthony Doerr, Lauren Groff, Yi
  • Skulduggery
  • Manhunting in Mississippi
  • Cold Flat Junction (Emma Graham, #2)
  • The Players Come Again (A Kate Fansler Mystery #10)
  • Midnight Fantasies
  • The Someday File (Deuce Mora #1)
  • DAW 30th Anniversary Science Fiction
  • Nocturne: And Other Unabridged Twisted Stories
  • The Magic Shop
  • Imaginary Friends

Susan Elizabeth George is an American author of mystery novels set in Great Britain. Eleven of her novels, featuring her character Inspector Lynley, have been adapted for television by the BBC as The Inspector Lynley Mysteries.

She was born in Warren, Ohio, but moved to the S
More about Elizabeth George...