Start by marking “The Column of Burning Spices: A Novel of Germany's First Female Physician (Hildegard of Bingen Book 2)” as Want to Read:

An ambitious woman. Medieval Church hierarchy. The struggle will be epic.

“A fascinating portrayal of one of history’s most remarkable women, Hildegard of Bingen—composer, mystic, theologian, and physician. The characters and settings come alive on the page, and by the end I felt as if I’d traveled in time to 12th-century Germany.” –C.P. Lesley, author of The Golden Lynx.
Published February 1st 2019 by Iron Knight Press

To ask other readers questions about The Column of Burning Spices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Column of Burning Spices

Rosie Amber
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Column Of Burning Spices is book two of the Hildegard of Bingen series. Hildegard is regarded as Germany’s first physician; this book takes place in the twelfth century.

A little historic background: the Catholic Church continued with the power struggles between the papacy and the secular rulers of the Holy Roman Empire. During the time of this book, the dispute was over who had the right to appoint Bishops; it caused a civil war.

At the Abbey of St. Disibod, Hildegard’s success as a physicia
Jena Henry
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Who is this woman who rises out of the wilderness like a column of smoke from burning spices?”

This memorable line from this well-crafted and researched historical novel reminded me of the verse from Isaiah, “The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. (Isaiah 40:30).” And in many ways, Hildegard of Bingen was a person of Biblical proportion.

Readers were introduced to Hildegard in the first book of the series.
Deena L Hogue
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Amazing book! The second book was as good as the first. The author lent life to a woman out of Catholic history. Saint Hildegard has now become one of my favorite saints.
Paula Butterfield
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This novel continues the story of Hildegard, the anchoress to whom we were introduced in The Greenest Branch. In the second part of her story, we find her working to fulfill the promise she made to Juliana, an anchoress she’d known since entering the abbey as a child who, on her deathbed, exhorts Hildegard:

Do not let them stop you! Do not be held back by the petty attacks of those
who have neither the courage nor the imagination to go beyond the narrow
rules to which they are bound.

Most of al
Gilli Cohen
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. An excellent conclusion to the duology.
Laura Barboza
Nadine Treece
Feb 22, 2019
Daphne Carey
Jan 21, 2019
I am a Boston-based historical fiction author with a bachelor's degree from Columbia University and a master’s degree from Yale University. I am a life-long lover of history, and my goal is to bring stories of lesser-known historical figures and places to the attention of wider audiences. I have a blog where I share my writing journey, review historical fiction, host guest blogs from fellow author ...more