Start by marking “Before the Season Ends (Forsythe #1)” as Want to Read:
Before the Season Ends (Forsythe #1)

Before the Season Ends (Forsythe #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  1,267 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
The Regency in England! This period boasted Jane Austen and Lord Byron. High society, the gentry, the working classes-they all knew their place. From coaches and curricles to Almack's and Regent's Park, from lorgnettes and quizzing glasses to Drury Lane and Pall Mall, it's all here, from chambermaids to the Prince Regent himself! Add Miss Ariana Forsythe to the intoxicatin ...more
Published May 17th 2005 by Xulon Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Before the Season Ends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before the Season Ends

May 28, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gentle-reads
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***This is an edited version of a my 2010 Amazon review, which I decided didn't make much sense!***

In Linore Rose Burkard's Before the Season Ends, there were some similarities to Pride and Prejudice. I particularly like how the author explained some of the customs and there was a glossary of terms at the back to define the words of the period. All these years later, I still remember the cute meet scenario between the hero and the heroine. This is definitely a Christian historical romance.
*Waring Spoilers Ahead*

Before the Season Ends was an enjoyable read and it got much better as it went on but then it well, went downhill and made me mad.

I stayed up into the wee hours finishing this book, slept on it and now that I am awake again, I am still disappointed. This book held my attention and interest for so long and then I wanted to yell at it.

Ariana is sent to stay in London with her Aunt, for the season. Her Aunt being overly wealthy is a childless widow who wants to present her ni
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
I SO enjoyed this first book in the Forsythe trilogy, and am SO looking forward to book 2!
It's rare to find Christian regency novels, and sometimes -when you do- the spiritual aspects of the story seem shallow or nonexistent. Linore Burkard had a great way of bringing Christ into her story without being shallow, but also without seeming "preachy". I really appreciated that the Gospel was given clearly, and leaving no doubts that Burkard believes what she is writing.

I really enjoyed the style o
Dec 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
My Review
It was a pleasant change to read a Regency romance without a lot of sexual tension and innuendos. Burkard has the era down pat and it was easy to visualize the scenes as well as sympathize with the heroine. I also found her characteristics true to a 19 year old rather than a wishy-washy attempt to provide the character with teen emotions that weren't of the time and adult emotions that were beyond her age as so many authors do with girls of that age in different time periods.

Ariane is
Oct 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Up to 3/4 of the way through the book I loved it- couldn't put it down. It was like a cute version of Jane Austen or Elizabeth Gaskell. I would have easily given it a 5 stars, but all of the sudden it turned born again christian on me and it irritated me. It's not the religion in of itself that bugged me. I just found the main character to be overly pious and judgmental. If the book had ended when they had gotten engaged it would have been so much better.
For the most part, I did enjoy the story. I didn't care too much for the writing style, but I like to think it was because this is the author's debut book. I think her writing will improve. So, I do believe I will go looking for the rest of the books in this series...
ASC Book Reviews
NOTE: I read and reviewed the original book. Linore told me that there are some changes to "lines of dialogue" in this edition but the story is the same. :)

A wonderful, elegant story that will shock and surprise you up until the end! Linore writes, especially well, about what true Faith and Salvation means, in such a heartwarming and honest way. She captures the style of Jane Austin's time and style so elegantly and beautifully! Writing in such an intelligent and exquisite way. Before the Season
The story itself wasn’t bad, and it did keep my interest. I would give it 3.5 stars because of the writing at times. The author, in my opinion, tried too hard to make her characters sound like they were living in the Regency period. In doing so, she repeated some terms, like “gel” so often that it began to annoy me. I am going to read more of this series, though.
Loraine Alcorn
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I got this awesome book on amazon in their top free 100 books list and Im soo happy I did. I have since bought the other 2 stories in this saga and cant wait till they come in.

I have read a lot of Christian fiction and now exclusively read only books that are of this caliber. I cant tell you how great this story is.

Before the Season Ends by Linore Rose Burkard, Is a true gem of a story. Its very hard to find a Christian Romance that offers not only a great love story but is also filled in real

Feb 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Young and impressionable, Ariana Forsythe longs for marriage and to do God's will. When a most unsuitable suitor emerges and takes advantage of her naiveté, Ariana's parents see no other recourse than to pack her off to London for the season. Under the eager sponsorship of her wealthy aunt, Ariana is introduced to the cream of London society. There she must learn to navigate an intricate web of etiquette and expectations, where a word in the wrong ear can ruin a girl's reputation and marriage pr ...more
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one in their right minds and definitely NOT to Austen fans
Shelves: reviewed-by-moi
I can't write an objective review for this book. I'm sure that the book deserves all the praise and high ratings it's got if it was meant to be strictly read by the 'Inspirational Christian Novels' community.

Its era details are well researched and well described, especially the clothes. But then the author gets down to the business of making the book 'inspirational' and what had promised to be a good read - not Jane Austen, but a maybe some shadow of Georgette Heyer - turned into an annoying tr
Jill Williamson
May 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Review by Jill Williamson

England, 1813. A time when a young lady’s life was all about finding the best husband. Country girl Ariana Forsythe’s parents do not approve of the man she has set her sights on and send her to London to live with her rich Aunt Bentley. Ariana can hardly wait to see the city, a place filled with history, museums, and art. Aunt Bentley has different ideas of how Ariana will spend her time, however, and drags Ariana on countless shopping trips to prepare for her debut into
Mar 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
Delightful read!

The cover itself begs to be compared to Jane Austen and there's no missing the similarities. From the setting to the characters, there are parallels to be had--parallels that the Jane Austen fan will adore. Houses and dresses described in detail, heroine's to cherish, gentlemen aloof and worthy. There is much to be appreciated here.

There are also several differences. While Austen certainly didn't shy away from references to the church in her novels, Burkard has embraced its role
Jennifer Gentry
Feb 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-kindle
Ms. Burkard's writing style is being compared to Jane Austen in many of the reviews. I'm not sure I would necessarily go to that extreme, but I will say that I greatly enjoyed this book. Some have disliked Ariana's strong beliefs against being unequally yolked in a marriage, but I have to say that as a Christian I can wholeheartedly agree and sympathize with her beliefs. And as this book was *intended* for Christian readers, I think anyone reading it from that viewpoint would not find fault in i ...more
I've never read a book written by Jane Austen before. *Gasp* I know, it's criminal. I love regencies, however, so this story worked for me. (I'm not totally uncultured. I have watched Sense and Sensibility and other Austen stories on DVD). But since I've never read Austen I can't say how similar the writing styles are. At first the omniscient POV all the time was hard for me to follow, but then I allowed myself to be pulled into that era and all of it's vanity and the story came alive. I had dif ...more
Feb 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Phoebe by: Linore Rose Burkard
Deborha Mitchell
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh what a ride! At the start of this book, I was thinking “How could she want to do that?” Do what? Well, you have to read the book to find out. As my reading progressed, I was grateful for the turn of events in Ariana’s life. I mean, her life wasn’t all roses and candy, but it was better than the alternative waiting for her back home. Importance of birth order, secrets, traps, mystery, intrigue, love and undying faith….this book has it all.
From the very first encounter between Ariana and Mr. Mo
Shirley Brosius
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Linore Rose Burkard has written a book that entertains, educates and keeps you guessing until the last page. The story about a Christian girl interested in marriage and a family who wants to help her find a suitable partner takes off on an age-old theme: What happens when an innocent damsel meets an irascible man? Will she follow her head or her heart as she gets to know this flagrant unbeliever?

This is the kind of book that opens your eyes to what you don’t know. I learned much about society in
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I am relatively new to Christian historical fiction, and I wanted to try a regency, and I'm so glad I did. I know many have criticized Ariana's faith in this book, but that is WHY I loved this book. I love how she is constantly turning to God, praying and seeking His insight. As a person who came to Christ as an adult, I've always wondered what it would be like to have been raised by Christian parents and taught to "fully rely on God", and I feel like this gives me a glimpse an ...more
Katie W
I love the Regency period and especially love the "clean" stories. This one was definitely Christian as well and almost got a little too preachy toward the end.

Ariana's aunt offered to put the eldest daughter of her brother's into society, but the eldest, Alberta, was as good as engaged, so he sent his second daughter, Ariana. I loved the ins and outs of the season and enjoyed learning a little bit more of this time period. Phillip is a great character--feared by many; impatient with debutantes;
Sheri Salatin
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
Ariana Forsythe is determined to keep her faith in God and marry their local pastor. The problem comes when her parents forbid it! They so much don't want her marrying this man that they send her away to stay with her wealthy aunt in London.
Ariana finds her Aunt determined to give Ariana a proper taste of high society. She is also determined to find a husband for her niece and all before the season ends!
Dashing, scowling Philip Mornay wins Ariana's heart, but he does not have her faith. Will Ari
Sep 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
9/30/14 - I started reading this one last night (different cover) and realized I had read it already...the MC is really silly at first..I can't remember but I assume she gets better.

10/3/09 -This was a clean regency period book. I did think that the last quarter of the book was kind of slow and I found myself trying to hurry to get it over with. If I could have shortened it then it would have been 4 stars.
Nov 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Aug 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
An Inspirational Regency Romance, Before the Season Ends is an truly enjoyable read. I liked her characters and the setting. There were some aspects that I didn't like as much, but overall, it was a great read, enjoyable and definitely recommendable.
A delightful, Regency read. Sweet and thought-provoking... it puts me a little in the mind of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth (Pride and Prejudice), yet in a Christian view point. I am very happy to add Linore Rose Burkard to my list of regency authors to read by!
Nov 19, 2011 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Who am I?

A desperate, broke girl who is ten books behind her reading challenge - that's who. This book is cheap as free on Amazon!

Never gunna finish it.
Jennifer Fluegge
I loved this author's Christian version of a regency romance-felt it did justice to the genre. I have the next book in the series--it just came out..can't wait to read it!
Mar 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
I rarely read romance novels because they are just too smutty for my taste. I loved this one. It was clean and had a bit of religion in it! Too Cute! Can't wait for the sequel out next month.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 18, 2014 10:46AM
  • Ransome's Honor (The Ransome Trilogy, #1)
  • On Sparrow Hill
  • When All My Dreams Come True (Colorado Runaway, #1)
  • Highland Blessings (Highlands #1)
  • The Triumph of Grace (Grace in Africa, #3)
  • The Affectionate Adversary (Miss Pickworth Series #1)
  • Raven Saint (Charles Towne Belles, #3)
  • A Regency Holiday
  • Surrender the Wind
  • Moonlight Masquerade (London Encounters, #1)
  • A Measure of Mercy (Home to Blessing, #1)
  • A Necessary Deception  (The Daughters of Bainbridge House #1)
  • Embers of Love (Striking a Match, #1)
  • The Lady of Bolton Hill
  • Making Waves (Lake Manawa Summers, #1)
  • Songbird Under a German Moon
  • The Vigilante's Bride
  • Surrender the Dawn (Surrender to Destiny, #3)
Linore Rose Burkard ( L.R.Burkard) wrote a trilogy of regency romances for the Christian market before there were any regencies for the Christian market. Published with Harvest House, her books opened the genre in the CBA. She also writes YA Suspense/Apocalyptic fiction as L.R. Burkard. Married with five children, she home-schools her youngest daughter, teaches workshops for writers, and awards tw ...more
More about Linore Rose Burkard...

Forsythe (3 books)
  • The House in Grosvenor Square (Forsythe #2)
  • The Country House Courtship (Forsythe #3)

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Sheltering Rain
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Judgment (Cassidy & Spenser, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Breathless
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Accidentally on Purpose (Heartbreaker Bay, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • She Can Scream (She Can Series, Book 3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Buried (Bone Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Mess (Broken #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • One More Night (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)