Start by marking “Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)” as Want to Read:
Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)

Magic Strikes

(Kate Daniels #3)

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  70,445 ratings  ·  3,390 reviews
Drafted into working for the Order of Merciful Aid, mercenary Kate Daniels has more paranormal problems than she knows what to do with these days. And in Atlanta, where magic comes and goes like the tide, that’s saying a lot.

But when Kate’s werewolf friend Derek is discovered nearly dead, she must confront her greatest challenge yet. As her investigation leads her to the M
Mass Market Paperback, 310 pages
Published March 31st 2009 by Ace (first published February 20th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Magic Strikes, please sign up.
piranha "Petite Tueuse"? Considering the name of her sword, the best translation is probably "Little Slayer" (tueuse is the feminine form of tueur = murderer,…more"Petite Tueuse"? Considering the name of her sword, the best translation is probably "Little Slayer" (tueuse is the feminine form of tueur = murderer, killer, slaughterer).(less)

·  70,445 ratings  ·  3,390 reviews

Start your review of Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
Katerina
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Top 8 Reasons why you should drop everything you're doing and grab the Kate Daniels series ASAP
(focusing on Magic Strikes)

1. The huge variety of mythology: celtic, greek, and now norse and hindu. Honestly, every supernatural creature you've ever heard will make an appearance, preferably soaked in blood and other substances I dare not name, and will deliver you extraordinary threats, unique bloodbath and eventually it will be killed in the most badass way.

2. The Midnight Games. An undergr
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
🐈 The Adventures Of A Brave Little Kitty Buddy Rerererereread (TAOABLKBR™) with the IA Addicts 🐈

And the moral of this particular rererererereread is: tinmen on steroids and overgrown logs are no match for Kate Daniels, sausage expert extraordinaire. Ha. And now let's dance and stuff.

P.S. Nonchalance is the best camouflage for drooling. Just so you know.

👋 Until next time and stuff.

[December 2017]

The Grand IAA™ KD Buddy Rerererereread Extravaganza (GIAAKDBRE™), aka the yellow brick ro
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
All the stars! I enjoyed the first two books in this Kate Daniels series, but Magic Strikes reached new levels of fun and games (of the gladiator death match variety) and just sheer awesomeness.

Kate Daniels and her werewolf, werehyena, and other shapeshifter friends get mixed up with some shady goings-on in connection with the Midnight Games, an underground organization that puts on illegal, to-the-death cage fights of the magical variety. Kate's young werewolf friend Derek decides to get involv
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Did you guys watch American Gladiators when you were kids? I just looked it up on IMDB, and the show's first run was from 1989-1997.<-----eight years is a LONG time.

Long enough for most of you to have watched it at some point during your childhood. B/c really? What's better than ridiculously muscled men (and women) in red, white, and blue spandex with names like Nitro and Laser . . . and MALIBU (Oh yeaaah):
description
GAWD, I love the 80's.

And Malibu could totally be Curran in the middle of the magic flar
Shannon
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Shannon by: The Flooze
Alright, alright. I am now fully entrenched in the "I Love the Kate Daniels Series" camp. Magic Bites was ok, Magic Burns was better, and Magic Strikes had me grinning from ear to ear at the last page. I'm desperate now to read the next one to see what happens with Kate and Curran. The tension they've built up is absolutely delicious. THIS is how you create a relationship in a series. I hate authors that think throwing the two characters into bed with each other right away is either realistic, p ...more
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

I, the undersigned, duly authorized representative of my frowning self, hereby state that all my pressuring friends were right when they declared, and I quote them, "it gets better".

This present declaration allows them for expressing their satisfaction at the ruin of my stubbornness, including by using disheartening gloating sayings as, "I told you so".

In addition, to ensure fair and full disclosure, please see the attached terms and conditions of my surrender :

Clause # 1 : I hereby certify t
Robin (Bridge Four)
Yes I'm reading the Kate Daniels Series AGAIN and guess what I love it a little more every time. 3rd read and this is still my favorite of the series. So many great moments. This book gets ALL THE STARS

Kate Daniels Buddy Read/Reread May 25 with the gang at Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA)

Revised Fangirl Review upon the Re-read of the series before Magic Breaks is Released.

photo kateandcurran_zpsd4df0f38.jpg

Magic Strikes has Gladiator style fighting with MAGIC so it is even better, sexual tension so thick you can cut it with a knif
First reread January 2015

Original rating: 5
New rating: 10

☆☆☆ Post-Shift Productions proudly present ☆☆☆
Just Another Day in the Life of Kate Daniels

8.00 a.m.: roll out of bed after getting 2 hours of sleep. Realize you're hungry. Open the fridge to get some of that leftover apple pie. The plate is empty. Strange.
8.30 a.m.: rescue your teenage werewolf sidekick from Saiman. Watch Saiman change form and throw up in your mouth a little.
9.00 a.m.: find out His Furriness became Beast Lord at the
Jilly
If you haven't read this series yet, you need to at least read the first three. The first two books were good, but this one is magic! :)

Originally read in February of 2015. Rereading with the Ilona Andrews Addicts group.

Here's my original review:

Best one yet in the series! Have I mentioned how much I love Kate Daniels? Oh yeah, I guess I have, just in every other review of these books. She is so funny and sarcastic. I find myself chuckling while reading.

"What kind of shapeshifter has orange f
Navessa
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I promised myself that I would review this book after finishing it the second time around. I took expansive notes, I copied my favorite quotes down in preparation and I even went so far as to try to start writing a review while still reading. I made several attempts actually. The first was a gushing letter to the author. The second was a serious breakdown of the story and characters that just felt all wrong and the third was a half drunken, rambling poem modeled after “There once was a man from ...more
Sophia Triad
She should have seen this coming!

Kate has a number of things which occupy her mind and her life:

1. The wellbeing of her new friends:
-Jim betrays the pack,
-Derek almost gets himself killed,
-Raphael is crazy about Andrea and
-Saiman has new scary enemies. They talk like human, smell like human, behave like human but what are they really?
I am just happy that Kate has true friends finally.

2. The dangers that her real family brings:
We learn who her biological father is and what the consequences of
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Reread 7/2018

I can't believe I didn't review this book back when I read it for the first time, this is definitely where the series began to pick up for me. This reread of the series has reminded me of why I like this series and this author.

Kate and Curran are the ultimate slow burn and that couple you find yourself shipping. I only made it to book 4 the first time around, and while I am taking a quick break after this one, I fully intend to finally catch up with this series. It's so good! It's
Lora
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people on the same joy ride as me
Recommended to Lora by: refer to first paragraph
I can't believe no one mentioned this series to me, recommended this series to me, or spammed my profile with comments and PMs proclaiming this series' awesomeness. They should have. To everyone that didn't, you're on my shit list.

Luckily for me, I finally made the decision on my own, like a big girl, and decided to give this series a try.
Once I did, it wasn't exactly love at first page, but I've quickly moved into the honeymoon stage. Here's to the honeymoon never ending.
Very rarely do I come a
Melissa (Ever So Mela)
3.75

Well thank God everyone was right!

While the first two were intriguing, this one blew them out of the water.

Where they sluggishly built up to a semblance of a plot, this one made it clear from the start.
Where they were slow with more descriptions than action, this one was a non-stop Rambo movie-with better CGI.
Where they had characters and, at times, scenes that just didn't make sense, this one read with perfect clarity leading us down a very dangerous rabbit hole.

Again I say cause you mig
Sh3lly
First Read: October 2014 ★★★★★
Second Read: May 2015 ★★★★★

Still just as amazing as the first time! New thoughts: I love how loyal Kate is and how much she cares for her friends. It's fun to see her drawn more and more to Curran. Curran is one of the sexiest shifters in UF. I don't usually care for shifters as much as other paranormal creatures, but IA writes them well.

I LOVE Saiman in this. We get to meet Hugh (another personal favorite). The mythology is absolutely amazing in this and so much h
Ginger
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
5 STARS!!

I’ve finally figured out what rates a 5 STAR book from me.
When I stay up all night to finish it and suffer the next day at work!

Wow, I’m so glad I stuck with this urban fantasy series. I really loved Magic Strikes! It was a fun, entertaining and addicting book to read.

Magic Strikes is the 3rd book in the Kate Daniels series.
Ilona Andrews really brought her A game with this edition. The 1st two books in the series were okay but Magic Strikes took this series to a whole new level.

The book
Helen 2.0
Holy mother of cliffhangers, I hate it when they do that!!

Okay, you got me. I totally adore Ilona Andrews and wouldn’t fault them for a thing.

Part of a Kate Daniels full BR with the IAA, Magic Strikes is the best KD novel yet. Seriously, better than book 2 and WAY better than book 1. There is so much Curran in this book and it is a feast for the mind and soul. There’s enough humor to fill the pages just based on Kate’s reaction to his name.
”So, how are things with you and Curran?”

There were
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Kate Daniels is making a strong case to claim the spot as my favorite urban fantasy (to even be in contention is saying something – this genre is filled with authors that I absolutely love). I can’t believe how much better the second and third books have been. If it hadn’t been for my amazing Goodreads friends urging me to continue, it might have been years before I picked them up again.

Why do I now love it so much, you ask? Well, for one thing, the love story turned into a slowly developing seg
Felicia
Nov 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love love this series. I'm getting tired of a lot of this paranormal stuff, so many iterations, but this is a GREAT world, GREAT characters, good plotting. The writing is really good, I feel like the hardest thing to do is be SIMPLE, and this author's style is so concise and honest and believable. I really really love this series and would recommend it to anyone, men or women!
Jaela
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First read July 2014 -4 stars
Second read May 2016 - 5 *****
(what the hell was I thinking when I gave only 4 stars to this book) stars

THIS WAS AWESOME!! But Really, I must have been out of my mind when I first rated this. This book had everything. Everything.

Chemistry between Kate and Curran was:

"You're scared there might be something there, between you and me."

And the humor is exceptional:

"To answer your question, yes, you may kiss my ass.
My only question is, would your kissing my ass b
Haïfa
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, uf, audiobook
I'm flying through this 3rd read! :D Favorite installment of the series.
Full audiobook experience this time around.

Original, a bit rearranged, spoiler-free review below.
___________________________________

I loved this book so much. It was near perfection!

And it took me 2 months to review... I don't even know where to start. I had a lot of fangirling thoughts and things to say about this one when I turned the last page. But I forgot it all.

What I know for sure is that it made me embark in an emo
Angela
13 April 2020: $1.99 on Kindle - I don't recommend reading this series out of order, but this book is my FAVORITE in the series (though honestly, it is hard to rank them because the entire series is amazing and awesome).

June 2016 Re-read.
July 2015 re-read: I love this book so much.
August 2014 Re-read:

Apparently, I've never written a review of this book - though I've read it at least a couple dozen times. In fact, I distinctly remember the last re-read I did I had plans to review ALL the books i
Maria V. Snyder
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love this series - I finished this last night and am trying not to buy the next one right now! You're not going to get a detailed review from me on this one - if you're not loving these by now, then there's nothing I could say to convince you! :)
Simona B
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
"I gave him a smile. I was aiming for sweet, but he turned a shade paler and scooted a bit farther from me. Note to self: work more on sweet and less on psycho-killer."

This is the first book in this series that actually, truly, really struck me. The previus two were undeniably, deliciously funny, enjoyable, quick (I read each of them in one sitting) and frustratingly cute when it came to Kate and Curran, because, let's face it, this couple here is the ultimate level of everyhing definable as fru
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
First reread January 2015 - See review here.

*********
Original review (June 2014):

How much better can this series get!? I’m seriously being blown away by every new instalment here. KD = pure awesomeness. Fabulous, exciting, memorable, astounding, staggering, wonderful, impressive, breathtaking, and nothing short of downright amazing.

Ever went on a roller coaster ride? Take that feeling, multiply it by 10 and you might get an idea of what this book is like. There is so much to take here that my h
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
Fifth re-read: 16.07.19
I love the ending of this book. I really do. The last two - or three - chapters are really great. I absolutely adore Curran, and I specially adore his way of courting Kate. On to next re-read.
New Rating: 3.5 stars

Fourth re-read: 27.04.17
I'm on roll here, as you can see. I've been reading #1-3 really fast just because I needed some Curran. I love the Games part, and I still want to kill everyone for what happened to Derek. I think I'll re-read next one and stop.

Athena Shardbearer

5 Stars AGAIN!!!!

You're so PURRRRRRR-fect, book.....I need you in my life...again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW!!! Kate Daniels, you're my new girl crush!!! I can't explain how refreshing and complete I feel after reading these books, and I can say that I'm a fan after reading this one.

First, I wasn't a knight; I just worked for the Order of Knights of Merciful Aid. Second, negotiation wasn't my forte. I killed things. Quickly and with much bloodshe
carol.
Aug 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any UF fan who likes a kick-butt heroine

Remember when I said I loved Magic Burns? I might just love this book a little more. Just how good is it? Enough that it was my go-to when I was recently recovering from a headache--I wanted a dependable, awesome read and didn't want to start anything new that I'd end up hating.

Magic Strikes is the third book in one of the best urban fantasy series out there. It maintains a very fast-moving plot with nicely developed characterization, has an unusual magic-technology premise, and stars a woman wh
Evgeny
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, and Asya.

Kate Daniels, a former member of Mercenary Guild which deals with supernatural troublemakers now works in Order of Merciful Aid - these guys basically do the same job, but only charge what you can afford and the final result might not be pretty because of their beliefs (kind of like modern Crusaders). Somebody started killing shape-shifters of Atlanta and at the same time her friend who also happened to be a werewolf got into a trouble; obviously Kate c
Rosaline (Rosaline's Rolls & Scrolls)
This series just keep getting better and better! What is happening?

It has happened! I am officially a Kate Daniels crazy fangirl!

I mean, this book has everything you'd want in an Urban Fantasy series:

• Smart and awesome bad-ass heroine
• Great world building
• An exciting and fast paced story
• Amazingly lovable side characters
• Delicious sexual tension
• Hot male alpha
• And the right amount of magic and cool mythical badassery

I was very shocked at how enjoyable this series was for me before, but

• Curran POV Collection
  • Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2)
  • Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1)
  • Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3)
  • Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)
  • River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
  • Prequel to Magic Shifts (Curran POV #10)
  • Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5)
  • Magic Bleeds - Awake (Curran POV #9)
  • Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1)
  • Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8)
  • Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson, #7)
  • Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1)
  • Magic Strikes - Hot Tub (Curran POV #5)
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • Magic Bites - Fernando's (Curran POV #2)
  • Archangel's Kiss (Guild Hunter, #2)
  • Kate's Origin (Curran POV #6)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade ...more

Kate Daniels (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
  • Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9)
  • Iron and Magic (The Iron Covenant, #1)
  • Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)