Start by marking “The Deathless Girls” as Want to Read:
The Deathless Girls

The Deathless Girls

They say the thirst of blood is like a madness - they must sate it. Even with their own kin.

On the eve of her divining, the day she'll discover her fate, seventeen-year-old Lil and her twin sister Kizzy are captured and enslaved by the cruel Boyar Valcar, taken far away from their beloved traveller community.

Forced to work in the harsh and unwelcoming castle kitchens, Lil
Published September 19th 2019 by Orion Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about The Deathless Girls, please sign up.

Start your review of The Deathless Girls
Sara
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

The Deathless Girls is part of a series from Bellatrix focussing on the girls forgotten to literature. Those female characters that have been sidelined in epic stories to allow others to shine, and have been lost in the background. But more than that, this is a story about female love and relationships. It’s full of sisterly love, a sapphic romance, the brutality of life and to top it all off - vampires. Kizzy and Lil are 17 year old traveller twins who are captured and sold into
anna grace 🌈
this sounds gay and dark and amazing and if it isn’t actually gay I will be very upset
Hannah Greendale
Gorgeous cover, but The Deathless Girls doesn’t deliver until it’s final pages.
Trish
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, here's the thing: I like traditional vampires. I like them dark and sinister, charming their way from meal to meal while being true and unapologetic monsters. Not the "vegetarian" variety full of existential angst and bullshit like that. Nevertheless, since I usually can't resist anything vampiristic, I thought a take on the brides could be interesting (plus: look at that cover!).

We open with a quote from Catherynne Valente so we were off to a very good start indeed. What followed was the
Lauren
"They came to call us the three sisters - two dark, one fair - and worse. The beautiful damned, the brides of Dracul, the deathless girls."

I didn't realise the requirement for a feminist retelling of a classic was to make it boring (I'd like to apologise in advance as it's about to get real frosty in here).

A story focusing on the vampire brides of Dracula. WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?!
... how about the fact that it was boring, boring; my brain has shut down and gone into hibernation mode;
christina
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Uprooted + The Sisters of the Winter Wood
really enjoyed this one, and it was a quick read - perfect for a halloween book in october :)

strong sister dynamic
positive f/f relationship
historical fiction about gypsies travellers
dark dracula retelling
twist ending

Amy Imogene Reads
Mar 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
That cover though...
Emma
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
‘A vampyre cannot love, only thirst. And that, above all else, is what truly damns us.’

This was an excellent re-imagining of the brides of Dracula, very evocative. 4.5 stars.
julie
Jun 02, 2019 marked it as to-read
2019/2020 are officially the vampires comeback and i'm loving the hell out of this
Aly (In Wonderland)
I started this at 5pm and finished it at 02:45am. Needless to say, it's addicting, poetically written, dark and dangerous. If you're a fan of retellings, Dracula and the myths and legends surrounding him, then this book is for you.

Full review to come!
Lunabookaddict
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved it omg but THE ENDING SERIOUSLY? I HOPE WE GOT A SECOND BOOKS BECAUSE I’M CURRENTLY DYING. I'M IN SHOCK. WHERE IS THE MISSING PAGES? THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE

description

What I love the most about this book : The atmosphere gothic and dark without being to hard or bloody. Love the mix with Dracula's bride story. I think I’m so in a mood for vampire.
And the things that made me happy f/f made me melt like a marshmallow. I love my girls so badly and I want to protect them.
Even if sometimes I felt that was
rachel ☾
more of the immortal vampyre brides getting revenge on shitty men pls and thank you

BlogTwitterInstagramThe Book Depository
Sarah  Loves Books and tea
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I was really excited to read this especially as it is an origin story of the three vampire brides in Dracula - so I was pleased to receive a copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. It started off really well and I really began to care for the two sisters who were the main characters - however as I read more I became a little bit bored with the storyline and it was quite slow in terms of plot and action and not as scary as I was hoping.
The villains were also one-dimensional
Janet Brown
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
The Deathless Girls is billed as the untold story of the Brides of Dracula, who feature briefly in Bram Stoker's book. Following twins Kizzy and Lil, Romani travellers, who on their 17th birthday are kidnapped and enslaved by the feared local lord, the Boyar Valcar. Taken to his castle and put into service, the girls face adversity together until, on the orders of the Boyar, Kizzy is taken as a gift for Dracul. Although beautifully and evocatively written, I found it puzzling that the focus was ...more
c, (½ of readsrainbow)
Rep: Romani wlw mc, Romani characters

CWs: murder, violence, implied sexual harrassment, attempted sexual assault

• oh god can we talk how badly the author researched Romanian - using a plural form in place of a singular, using a singular form in place of a plural, MAKING UP a singular form for a word, getting the plural form of a word wrong, using a definite noun where an indefinite one is needed, deciding randomly to show that she knows how Romanian definite articles work only to go back to
Lydia Hephzibah
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Major disappointment. Lacking plot, poor characterisation, flat and uninspiring "romance". I was led to believe this is a sapphic vampire book; it is not - vampires are only a part of the final ~10%, and barely at that, and while there is a F/F relationship, it is so blandly written with such one-dimensional characters that I wanted to throw the book across the room.
˗ˏˋ aphrodite ˊˎ˗
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars

I am going through so many emotions right now, oh my god.

this book is so beautiful and sad and quiet and soft. I don’t even know how to put into words how much I enjoyed it.

this book is a look into kizzy & lil’s journey together through horrors, heartbreak, and love. it’s not for everyone at all. the plot really doesn’t pick up until 100 pages in and we don’t see actual vampires until 200. so this is not necessarily a vampire book but it is a beautiful historical fantasy with
Catherine
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Can you hear the sound of crushing disappointment coming from me? I was looking so forward to this book as soon as I saw it on Goodreads. Dracula is one of my favorite books ever (seriously, I named my cat Mina). This is a book about the vampire brides of Dracula and I could already picture myself devouring this feminist and deliciously gothic retelling. This book should have been amazing, the story of the brides of Dracula should have been amazing. Well, it's not so much a retelling since ...more
Beth
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-reads
I don’t really know what to think of this... it felt like a cross over of a few different stories for example: Girls of Paper and Fire and An Ember in the Ashes; that’s just the first thing that popped into my head but I’m pretty sure other books that deal with slavery and doing certain things, mainly picked up on it because of cook...

I genuinely really wanted to enjoy this, but for me personally everything felt slightly flat, I couldn’t tell you a lot about the characters, the romance really
Sabrina
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I don't really know what to think. It's completely different to how I expected from reading blurbs. The ending was strange and completely unexpected.
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
note to self: just because this has a quote from one of your favourite books as an epigraph does not mean it will be similarly incredible.

I didn't mind The Deathless Girls. I confess I had hoped for a bit more from it, but it was good enough. The pacing was tight, so I read most of it within a few hours, but I also found it lacked a certain depth which would've made it truly good. It just needed to be a bit . . . longer maybe? I was surprised when the heroine only headed to Dracul's castle in
Joanna Smith
Beatrice in Bookland
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
"A vampyre cannot love, only thirst. And that, above all else, is what truly damns us."

This is quite possibly one of the most boring books I've ever read. It takes ages for the plot to move and when it does it gets nowhere particularly interesting.
The book's 300 pages long.
The first 200 pages have the protagonist thinking about how beautiful, amazing, intelligent, spectacular, out of this world her identical twin is, whilst our protagonist's average and not worth notice, of course.
The following
Valentine
"I never knew again what it was to feel my heart quicken in my chest, my blood flood my body at the touch of another. A vampyre cannot love, only thirst. And that, above all else, is what truly damn us."

Well, this is a hard review to write. This isn't a bad book at all, on the contrary - and I think you can definitely see that with the 4 stars I gave it. It had a very good premise: Dracula's story is truly one that will never cease to fascinate me, and I was thrilled to see a new adaptation.
MariaWitBook
Nope! Maybe because I’m Romanian, this book didn’t work for me. Sorry. Nevertheless beautiful looking book.
Aoife
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
CW: Threats of sexual assault, some animal cruelty/death.

I received this book form the author/publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

What.a.letdown.

It's October, it' spookytime, what's better than picking up a beautiful book about the brides of Dracula - especially when Dracula is one of your favourite classics?! Yet, this book was honestly a little bit boring considering it had elements which should have been fun and exciting, and I'm going to say it - it wasn't scary at all.
Bitchin' Reads
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My heart sings for this book. Love, love, love. Gothic literature always hits me in all the right places.
Danni Jervis
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The origin story to 2 of Dracula's brides, a wonderfully dark, novel that successfully achieves a gothic atmosphere without being cringe-worthy.

I loved the scope of different relationships explored between the characters, it added so many layers to the plot and really fleshed it out. Finally a lesbian YA too, which is refreshing in a heavily dominated market of male homosexual relationships to have this representation.

A perfect femisinist, alternative YA novel that puts a new perspective to
Lata
The language is gorgeous, the imagery is frightening, and the tone is gothic; I liked this story. It fleshes out the “brides” of Dracula, giving them a complicated origin and relationship, while keeping Dracula in the background. The sisters’ path to monsterhood, and the sadness of their choices, particularly Lil’s, was worth the read. And yeah, that book cover!
ThatBookGal
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes, it really helps to have not read a blurb properly, because I thought this was a story of slave girls earning their freedom, and then suddenly there were vampires, and I had absolutely no idea that was coming!

The plot is relatively fast paced, and a lot happens in the short pages. Heartbreaking and shocking at times, there is plenty of horror positioned alongside some beautiful relationships. Kizzy and Lil's is the strongest, their love for each other was truly special to read. Mira
A Book Nirvana: The Deathless Girls (Feb 2020 readalong) 79 8 Feb 24, 2020 04:17PM

• Deeplight
  • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
  • The Black Flamingo
  • Bone China
  • A Sprinkle of Sorcery
  • Becoming Dinah
  • Wranglestone (Wranglestone, #1)
  • The Girl Who Stole an Elephant
  • The Time of Green Magic
  • Blood Countess (Lady Slayers #1)
  • The Highland Falcon Thief
  • Perfectly Preventable Deaths
  • Shadows of Winterspell
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • Pine
  • Jemima Small Versus the Universe
Kiran Millwood Hargrave is an award winning poet, playwright, and author.

Her books include the bestselling winner of the British Book Awards Children's Book of the Year and the Waterstones Children's Book Prize 2017 The Girl of Ink & Stars, and Costa Book Awards- and Blue Peter Awards-shortlisted The Island at the End of Everything, and The Way Past Winter , Blackwell's Children's Book of