Start by marking “The Christmas Boutique (Elm Creek Quilts #21)” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Boutique (Elm Creek Quilts #21)

The Christmas Boutique

(Elm Creek Quilts #21)

Just weeks before Christmas, severe wintry weather damages the church hall hosting the Christmas Boutique—an annual sale of handcrafted gifts and baked goods that supports the county food pantry. Determined to save the fundraiser, Sylvia Bergstrom Compson offers to hold the event at Elm Creek Manor, her ancestral family estate and summertime home to Elm Creek Quilt Camp.

In
Published October 1st 2019 by William Morrow

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Christmas Boutique by Jennifer Chiaverini
    The Christmas Boutique (Elm Creek Quilts #21)
    Release date: Oct 15, 2019
    New York Times bestselling author Jennifer Chiaverini returns with delightful Christmas-themed chapter in her beloved Elm Creek Quilts series – a ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 2371 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Dec 02 - Dec 16, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Boutique, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Boutique

Start your review of The Christmas Boutique (Elm Creek Quilts #21)
    Sarah Pickett
    Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
    I'd say 80% of this book is just copy and pasted from other books in the series, so there were several slooooowwwwwww moments that almost made me stop reading. I also thought it was strange that the author would choose this particular time period to go back to, because the last book in the series was much farther ahead in the future.
    Maureen Timerman
    Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2019
    I was so excited to see this book, I loved this series, and a new book after all this time, awesome!
    You will not be lost if you pick this one up for the first time, there is a lot of information offered from the past books to update you, but you will be missing out on some great addicting reads if you pass up the previous books.
    We are back with some dear friends, and updated on the lives we have come to love, and now we are back at Elm Creek!
    These characters come alive to me through this author,
    Rebecca
    Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Sylvia, the beloved co-owner of Elm Creek Manor, and her friends return in the latest installment of the Elm Creek Quilt series. This time, they are asked to host the local Christmas boutique fundraiser event and, of course, they do it with much enthusiasm and aplomb!

After seven years, the Elm Creek Quilt series has returned, and I could not be happier. I've read and loved the entire series and revisiting each of the beloved characters did not disappoint. It's difficult to believe that it's been
    Tammy
    Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
    I was so excited for a new Elm Creek Quilts book. It's too bad that half this book was a recap from her former stories. I skipped whole pages that were, word for word, from her former books. I was looking for something new and heart warming from this story and it left me feeling annoyed.
    Sandra
    Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Please note: I read this as a free e-ARC from Netgalley. I was so thrilled to see a new addition to the Quilter's Apprentice series. It was sweet and easy read. It takes place near the Christmas season as Sylvia reminisces over the many Christmas seasons that have occurred at Elm Creek Manor. The story begins in present day as the Waterford quilters need a new place to host their annual Christmas Boutique. Of course, Sylvia opens the Manor. As the story progresses, each chapter is devoted to a ...more
    Donna Hines
    Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
    First, I give Kudos to the author for mentioning my hometown of Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania and the Osterhout Library (a gem in our community) along with the quilting craft.
    While I know many who religiously attend the state fairs entering quilting contests it's a respectable and difficult task that the mostly all women grouping manage to make look effortless.
    The ending leaves us in awe of the beauty behind such a skill that has taken years to master.
    So with this said, I hold great respect for
    Loraine
    The Elm Creek Quilters are brought together once again in this Christmas read when the church hall floods and Elm Creek Manor has to be used for their annual Christmas fund raiser for the food pantry. I didn't find this one as interesting as the previous books in this set. I like Chiaverini's writing, but this one didn't capture my attention like some of the others I've read. Still overall a good Christmas read.
    Elizabeth Meadows
    Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I enjoyed the book and it was great to have a new Elm Creek novel. But I did think that there was an awful lot of recap and retelling of previous story lines.
    Connie Fischer
    Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Sylvia Bergstrom Compson lives at Elm Street Manor in Pennsylvania with her second husband. Andrew. Sylvia is a quilter and offers a annual season of Elm Creek Quilt Camp. When she was growing up during the depression, the Bergstrom family was the wealthiest family in town. But they too lost money when the Bank of Waterford went under. They had raised thoroughbreds. But with their home paid for, no bills, and lots of land for growing things, they did well. Many men in town went to war and did ...more
    Ruth
    Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
    I've read, and enjoyed, many of the books in this series but can find very little to recommend this newest one. Granted, I'm not a fiction author but this pre-pub book read like a short story filled with meaningless asides until it reached book length. After a few chapters I had to just keep skipping past the filler until I got to the dialog, over and over again. The characters themselves were their typical great selves - the best part of the book. Apologies for ripping another person's work but ...more
    Patti
    Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
    This book was received as an ARC from HarperCollins Publishers - William Morrow in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.
    This is my first book of this series and I have to say it was a bit disappointing. Too much blahblahblah in between the storylines. The ending was rushed into a few pages and some storylines were left hanging. I was really looking forward to reading this, and while the basic story was good, it felt very mediocre.
    Kristina
    Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
    The Christmas Boutique by Jennifer Chiaverini is the 21st An Elm Creek Quilts Novel. The Christmas Boutique can be read by those who are new to the series and those who have read each and every book. During the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas, we get to catch up with Sylvia, Sarah, Gwen, Diane, Gretchen, Anna, and Mary Beth. Learn all you need to know about Sylvia and how she established the quilting camp with Sarah’s help. Find out how Gretchen and Joe came to live at Elm Creek Manor ...more
    Barb
    Days before Waterford's Christmas Boutique is scheduled to open, severe winter weather damages the church hall that was to host the fundraiser. So it won't be cancelled, Sylvia offers to host the event at Elm Creek Manor, and she and the rest of the Elm Creek Quilters pitch in to set up booths for the sale and decorate the Manor in a unique way – with quilts that have been made by the members of the group.

It has been quite a few years since the last Elm Creek Quilters book, so I was excited to
    Rachel
    Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Too much of the book was spent retelling story lines from previous books in the series.
    It would be fine for someone who was reading this book as a stand alone title. But even though it's been more than 10 years since I read the previous books, it felt like a verbatim recap.

It was refreshing to read that at least one of the Elm Creek Quilters doesn't finish hand sewn, elaborate quilts in mere days. I can definitely relate to Diane and her UFO's.

As in previous books, Sarah was annoying, petty,
    Julia
    Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
    I find the Elm Creek Quilts series to be rather uneven. I preferred the books with historical settings to the contemporary ones. This was in the middle since it recapped many of the characters' history. Some of the stories sounded familiar and some didn't, but I don't know if that is an issue with my memory of earlier books or whether there was new information added in. Still a fun easy read even if repetitive of earlier books.
    Kate ☀️ Olson
    Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Such a nostalgic listen over the weekend while I finished sewing a Christmas quilt I’ve loved this series since the beginning and while this had a LOT of recaps from previous books in the series, it’s been long enough for me that it was a welcome reminder. ...more
    Joan
    Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I had not read one of Jennifer’s quilter books in some time. As am retired quilter I’m enjoyed it immensely. My favorite quilters came back to be with me. I enjoyed a relaxing read after some busy novels. A great book.
    Julie
    Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
    4 stars because I just loved revisiting these characters. Some people didn’t care for the repetition of background on the characters, but because it’s been a while, I liked the refresher on their histories. I was a warm snuggly kinda book, just like a worn family quilt.
    Mary Norfleet
    Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: done
    It's good to see the Elm Creek Quilters back. Enjoyed the story. I'm not a quilter, but love to look at other people beautiful handiwork. I've enjoyed all of Jennifer Chiaverini's novels. Her historical novels are particularly wonderful. Hope she keeps writing for many year to come.
    Tracy
    Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
    While I have been reading a lot of Jennifer Chiaverini's historical novels, it's been a while since I read an Elm Creek Quilts one. I remember now enjoying these novels for their simple focus and revealing of human character. Little overwhelming at first on the quilt information (I crochet), but I can respect the amount of work people put into their creations :) I constantly recommend these novels to Christmas shoppers looking for something for a grandmother or mother.
    Colline Vinay Kook-Chun
    The Christmas Boutique was written as part of a series – The Elm Creek Quilts series. It is not necessary, however, to have read the previous novels in order to enjoy the story: I had not read the preceding novels and there was not a time in which I was lost or confused. Chiaverini describes her characters well enough for a first reader of her series; and places them in a setting that is very quickly understood.

Women who quilt will enjoy reading the detail that the author adds to the narrative.
    Gabby
    Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: holiday, quilts
    This wasn't one of my favorites, I love all the characters and their stories though. I felt like I had already read this book several times and in fact checked to see if maybe I had, I had not. It gives the history of each person prior to the story of the Boutique, which most of their stories I really already knew very well. I must say one or two I couldn't remember, and maybe that's because they were never told, who knows? Overall it's a nice story of Elm Creek Manor and quilts. A great one to ...more
    Maureen Ulsamer
    Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Too much of the book was information that was already shared in other books, in my opinion. I was a bit disappointed in this book.
    Linda Scroggy
    Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
    This was a nice read but I think I would have liked it better if I had read the previous books in the series. That is a problem with series books. She did introduce the characters well though. I am not a quilter but have always wanted to learn. This book did inspire me to pursue my dream of quilting as she had alot of detail about quilting interwoven in the story. I think the end was a little rushed. I wish she would have tied it up a bit. Over all, a fun book.
    Michele
    Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it
    I think this was one book too many in the series. The constant flashback rehashing of past book plots made this very jarring and hard to follow. The main new plot was a very petty feud between 2 women. It went back and forth so many times and the personalities kept flopping around, I was getting irritated with the author, not the characters. The conflict did nothing to promote the story.
    Meghan
    Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: library

This was such a heartwarming story of some heartfelt women that share a passion for quilting and making an overwhelming amount and love to give. I was refreshed when I saw that these women held their Christmas boutique in a church bringing forth so many people that is a blessing to share their gifts. Even when life
    Kirsten
    May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: netgalley
    I love this series
    I was excited to read an ARC

Travel to the past to the start of traditions
    Catch up with friends
    Help each other through difficulties
    check - Done!

By the descriptions I could see and live the story before me
    Elm Creek Quilters are like friends
    I would love to live at Elm Creek Manor.

I truly enjoyed this book and am already telling people to put this on the To-Read shelf!
    Leslie Lindsay
    Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
    New to the Elm Creek Quilts series from bestselling author of THE QUILTER'S APPRENTICE, MRS. LINCOLN'S DRESSMAKER, and RESISTANCE WOMEN comes this warm story brimming with nostalgia

On the eve of the twentieth anniversary of THE QUIILTER'S APPRENTICE, the novel that launched the Elm Creek Quilt series in 1999, comes an update on the quilters we've come to know. THE CHRISTMAS BOUTIQUE by Jennifer Chiaverini (William Morrow, Oct 1 2019) is a heartwarming tale steeped in nostalgia, old friendships
    Salena Moffat
    Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    out of 5 s
    #TheChristmasBoutique by #JenniferChiaverini

This book is the latest addition to the #ElmCreekQuilts series by @jenniferchiaveriniauthor. I absolutely adored it! You apparently don't need to read the series in order, but I've purchased book 1, #TheQuiltersApprentice and can't wait to dive in at the series' start!

In the book, we meet a series of women, of all different ages, and the author manages to keep each character distinct and each woman's voice unique. Elm Creek Valley in
    Judy Beetem
    Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
    The Christmas Boutique is the newest of the Elm Creek Quilts novels. It features all of the regular characters, plus a few of the new ones. The Elm Creek Quilters are preparing the manor for Christmas so there's a lot about cookies, quilting and tradition. The quilt guild in Waterford is putting on a Christmas Boutique to raise money for the local Food Pantry. Disaster strikes, someone turned the heat off when the meeting was over and the pipes burst during a heavy blizzard. Elm Creek Quilters ...more
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• A Mrs. Miracle Christmas
    • Noel Street
    • Let It Snow
    • Spirit of the Season
    • Christmas in Winter Hill
    • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
    • The Christmas Spirits on Tradd Street  (Tradd Street, #6)
    • Window on the Bay
    • Christmas Sweets (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #18.5)
    • Owl Be Home for Christmas: A Meg Langslow Mystery
    • Mumbo Gumbo Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery #16)
    • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
    • The 19th Christmas (Women's Murder Club, #19)
    • A Single Thread
    • Cut and Run
    • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
    • What Happens in Paradise
    • Kiss the Girls and Make Them Cry
    Jennifer Chiaverini is the New York Times bestselling author of several acclaimed historical novels and the beloved Elm Creek Quilts series, as well as six collections of quilt patterns inspired by her books. A graduate of the University of Notre Dame and the University of Chicago, she lives with her husband and two sons in Madison, Wisconsin. About her historical fiction, the Milwaukee Journal ...more

Elm Creek Quilts (1 - 10 of 21 books)
    • The Quilter's Apprentice (Elm Creek Quilts, #1)
    • Round Robin (Elm Creek Quilts, #2)
    • The Cross-Country Quilters (Elm Creek Quilts, #3)
    • The Runaway Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #4)
    • The Quilter's Legacy (Elm Creek Quilts, #5)
    • The Master Quilter (Elm Creek Quilts, #6)
    • The Sugar Camp Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #7)
    • The Christmas Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #8)
    • Circle of Quilters (Elm Creek Quilts, #9)
    • The Quilter's Homecoming (Elm Creek Quilts, #10)