Start by marking “The Art of Escapism Cooking: A Survival Story, with Intensely Good Flavors” as Want to Read:
The Art of Escapism Cooking: A Survival Story, with Intensely Good Flavors

The Art of Escapism Cooking: A Survival Story, with Intensely Good Flavors

“Lee, who vents about living abroad in her Lady and Pups blog, fuels this stunning cookbook with the ferocity of Sichuan peppercorns and chili oil. . . . An energetic confessional, for Lee is as gifted a writer as she is a cook. . . . Innovative. . . . [A] unique and deeply felt debut.” - Publisher's Weekly (starred review)

In this inventive and intensely personal cookbook, t/>In
Published October 15th 2019 by William Morrow Cookbooks

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Escapism Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Escapism Cooking

Start your review of The Art of Escapism Cooking: A Survival Story, with Intensely Good Flavors
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Look, the only thing I'd like to cook at seven in the morning -- as I lie in bed with residual resentments from the day before and looming despair about the day ahead --is the people who say they love cooking breakfast. Who are these people? I imagine their breakfasts taste like denial buttered up with overcompensating enthusiasm.

Cookbooks are so much more than lists of recipes anymore. Some are really just about the pretty pictures or the personality of their author. Many are attempts to catch
Karen Foster
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is as much a cookbook to curl up in bed with, as it is to cook from. Gorgeous photography, beautifully honest memoir sections with a dose of dark humor, and the kind of recipes you give up a whole day to. These recipes are often real projects, with homemade components, that will fill your home with amazing aromas, and give so much comfort, joy and satisfaction in both preparing and eating. I wish I had more time to dedicate to this kind of cooking, but I will definitely try and find some :)
Patty
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Cooking for many people is simply a means to an end. You need to feed your family so you make dinner. For others the kitchen is a retreat – a place to go to get away from the world or from your troubles. There is something very comforting about starting with a list of ingredients and ending with a delicious and nourishing meal or dessert.

I can fully relate to this as when my world imploded I found my solace in the kitchen. Back when my aneurysm was found and I was left with my chroni
BookTrib.com
When Mandy Lee moved from New York to Beijing for her husband’s work, she was hit with a soul-killing depression unlike anything she had felt before. Growing increasingly exasperated with China’s autocratic political climate, infuriating bureaucracy, and choking pollution, she began “an unapologetically angry food blog,” Lady and Pups, to keep herself from going mad.

Mandy blogged and filled her kitchen with warm spices and sticky sauces because it channeled her focus and helped her c
Debra
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: foodie-reads
Photographed beautifully, this memoir cookbook is fascinating. I found Lee's wry wit and use of the f-word oddly endearing. Her voice is honest and her photographs are fantastic. Her food is honest as well and even though she maintains anyone can cook it, I had to wonder. Her recipes are inventive with an Asian flare, but don't call it fusion. I plan on tackling a few dishes, but some are out of my realm of expertise (and honestly would take up too much of my time).

I loved reading her story (as
Tina
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foodie
Fantastic read but not in my wheelhouse for actually cooking these unique recipes. Still, a beautiful book.
Kasia
Oct 08, 2019
Zoe
Oct 10, 2019

• Prune
  • The Gaijin Cookbook: Japanese Recipes from a Chef, Father, Eater, and Lifelong Outsider
  • Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
  • Ruffage: A Practical Guide to Vegetables
  • Kachka: A Return to Russian Cooking
  • All About Eggs
  • Saltwater Table: Recipes from the Coastal South
  • This Son of York
  • Baby Blues fall 2019: collection #36
  • The Pioneer Woman Cooks: The New Frontier
  • Curtain (Hercule Poirot, #42)
  • Batman: Nightwalker
  • Return to Longbourn (The Darcys of Pemberley, #2)
  • Love: A Discovery in Comics
  • Phil : Une vie de Philip K. Dick
  • Maggie's Ruse
  • The Old Lace Shop (Once Upon a Dickens Christmas #3)
  • A Tale of Two Hearts (Once Upon a Dickens Christmas, #2)