Start by marking “The Subjects” as Want to Read:
The Subjects

The Subjects

As we got closer I could see behind the sandstone a curved concrete building: a purpose-built structure. But still no fence, no wire. Not a bar in sight. For this, Id been told that morning, I should be grateful. This was a lifelinea last chance. That is what the judge said.

Daniel is a sixteen-year-old drug dealer and hes going to jail.

Then, suddenly, hes not.

A courtroom
Published June 4th 2019 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Subjects, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Subjects

Start your review of The Subjects
Text Publishing
The Subjects is energetic and compelling from the opening pages. And in Daniel we find a voice that I was worried was disappearing from Australian fiction: unpretentious, smart and lacking in all mawkishness. Its a joy to hear him, and it is a joy to read a book of such complex ideas that is also alert to the art of storytelling.
Christos Tsiolkas

A vivid, human (and humane) novel with an irresistible dark pull. The Subjects explores the utopian madness of social engineering in a similar way to
Tucker

Many thanks to Text Publishing for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

Hey, I forgot to say this but I DNF-ed this back in Oct. 2019. It just wasn't holding my attention and it was too similar to another book I was reading. That said, I think sci-fi fans will enjoy this one! Happy reading!

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest | Reddit | LinkedIn |
Calzean
Sarah Hopkins has written a very unique book. Unique in it's style, subjects and questioning of how we look at each other. There's a lot in this book and although it's not perfect and at times swamped with science, it's one of my favs of 2019.
16 year old Daniel is a drug dealer with a temper. In lieu of a jail sentence he is whisked off to a remote facility where a dozen other highly intelligent but different teenagers reside. They each negotiate a contract with the facility's Dr J, attend
Louise Wilson
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Daniel is a drug dealer. He's been caught but he's not going to jail, he's going to a different facility. He believes they are running tests on them. The Subjects examine a way of treating people drug free.

This is an Australian novel about young people who have been diagnosed with some type of disorder. They find themselves in the juvenile system. Some of the jargon confused me. It did take me a while to get into this story. Daniel narrates this story and I could really believe the subject
Courtney
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
I do not like having to work this hard at understanding the premise of a novel, to connect with the characters or to follow what exactly is happening.
Sunnyvic
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking brilliance.. Loved it
Anne
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This novel is both intriguing and chilling in its depiction of a "school" that is offered as an alternative to juvenile detention. Sixteen-year-old Daniel has ADHD but instead of taking his medication, he's made a business of hoarding his pills and selling them to classmates who need an "edge" for studying. When he's caught he is offered classes at this institute where there are very few students, and shockingly, very few rules. They are encouraged to play video games and the "lessons" are very ...more
Sue
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting premise with a good serving of quality writing but the protagonists voice didnt ring true (adult, masquerading as a teenager) and the authors view was a little too present in places. ...more
Joanne
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
My thanks too Text publishing for my free copy.

I really struggled with this book unfortunately as I liked the idea of it. But for some reason it just lacked youve got my attention. Im not sure what it was it kinda moved a little slow and I couldnt connect to the characters to well. Its was kinda slow it just fell short.
Margaret
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating, provocative. The book details in the first person the experience of a teenagers experience in an experiment. It touches on big pharma, the ethics of treatment for conduct disorders and the experience of trauma in youths.
Lu
Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange of an honest review.

Daniel is a young drug dealer, he's 16 years old and to prevent him from going into a juvenile detention in the courtroom appears a Doctor Daniel never met before. He's Doctor J and he decides to bring Daniel to his School. There Daniel lives with other eleven kids, all of them delinquents, for months, taking peculiar classes, using headsets and tablets, playing video games, talking to the Doctor about his life with his mother
Karen Barber
A fascinating concept, but one which left me with far more questions than it answered and which was - ultimately - rather frustrating.
Our story focuses on teenage Daniel. He manages to avoid jail for selling drugs by agreeing to enter a facility. Like Daniel, we learn about the facility and those inside as he experiences it. Ultimately, however, the intriguing idea of exploring social engineering and the behaviour of pharmaceutical companies didnt fully pay off.
Im grateful to NetGalley for
Kahlia
DNF @ 30%

I was totally here for some new Australian sci-fi, but this wasn't it for me. The main character was insufferably dull and his narrative voice vacillated between what I think the author thought a sixteen year old boy should sound like (lots of thinking about sex and generally being an asshole) and a pretentious adult. None of the side characters really stood out either - at the point I abandoned this book, the love interest still didn't even have a personality.

Also, apart from a few
Sunili
Loved loved loved this... review otw.
Jennifer (JC-S)
Anyhow, 176; 63; 16: they were my numbers and here I was.

Daniel, our narrator, is now 47. He was diagnosed with PTSD at 10, and at age 16 was convicted of selling prescription drugs to his classmates. In court, where a gaol sentence seems inevitable, an intervention results in Daniel being taken to a remote facility where a small group of other gifted (but delinquent) teenagers reside.

Light-filled corridors and a jug of lemon water were our introduction to the concept of a benevolent universe.

Kennedy
Full review on my blog !
Mike
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Social engineering is at the back of this story, which starts off well, with considerable tension, but tends to bog down (for me) in stretches of analysing the behaviours of the main characters.
Janet

When it is snowy and cold outside, superspeed readers like me can read 150 - 200+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book and many more today. LOL

Daniel, 16, is sent to a special "school: instead of prison. Experiments are
Hannah
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thank you Sarah Hopkins, Text Publishing and NetGalley for the ARC.

The premise of this book is that the main character Daniel is a juvenile who had been selling drugs to peers, to save him from a detention centre a mysterious Dr suggests instead he goes to a 'School'. Whilst at the School Daniel meets other characters and forms bonds with the other students.

I found the cover art and the blurb very intriguing. I found the concept of the book provocative and enjoyed learning some of the
Kyles
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2020-reads
The Subjects had an interesting premise but unfortunately fell flat for me. I found it quite confusing as the novel switched between narrators - from adult Daniel to teen Daniel. The science elements were too many and the ending wrapped up too quickly (although I didn't mind, I was happy to finish the book in one sitting and move onto something else).

Set in Australia and written by an Australian author, I did enjoy the discussion of mental illness and behaviour disorders; crime and the juvenile
Sandi Wallace
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
4-4.5 stars. Review copy received with thanks to the publisher and NetGalley. More in my next Good Reads blog at https://www.sandiwallace.com/blog/.
Michelle
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rhonda
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: australian
The blurb on the back refers to The Natural Way of Things, which may not be a good idea as both are examples of where the concept and theme are better than the book itself. The significance of the theme is what gets discussed in reviews, not the book itself. This is better than The Natural Way and the author's experience as a criminal lawyer shines through. Revealing early on that the narrator had survived 30 years after the events of the book ruined some of the necessary mystery about what was ...more
Ryan
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Confusing
Caitlin Theroux
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a digital ARC. The views herein may not belong to the publisher, author, or distributor and are entirely my own.

People over-diagnose. Period.

Hopkins reaches out through the fog and offers a take on alternative treatment that for some, it would absolutely work. Daniel and Rachel are fictional, yes, but they are examples of real-life kids who need a loving hand and a redirect. Some hope. Some encouragement. Not medications. Sometimes people are angry
Charlotte
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sixteen-year-old Daniel is on the verge of being sentenced to time in juvie when fate intervenes. He is detoured to a new place... a place with no bars, a place he's told he is "lucky to attend", In spite of the fact that he's unsure of where he's headed, he agrees to the compromise.

The majority of this novel is set in the institute that Daniel is sent to. It's an intriguing place. Apart from an initial physical run-in with one of the interns ... it seems as though it's not such a bad place.
Neriah Samraksha
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I do not remember if I requested this or if it was available for 'Read' on NetGalley, but I am so over the moon as I got the chance to read and review this arc!

Narrated by the 47 Y/O protagonist, Daniel, the plot explores the events that occurred when he was 16. He gets arrested for dealing drugs and is convicted as a Juvenile Delinquent only to be picked by a mysterious person in the court so he could go to a special facility instead of a prison. He doubts it to be a prison only to find out it
Pile By the Bed
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Sarah Hopkins latest book The Subjects delves into the murky world of big pharma and more particularly, the use of drugs to control and modify the behaviour of young offenders. Except for most of its length it is not directly about this. It is only very late in the piece that the big picture is revealed not only to the protagonist but to the reader. Which makes The Subjects a slightly frustrating experience.
Daniel is a young drug dealer who has been caught and is on trial. But instead of going
Mina Vucicevic
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
My rating: 2.5 stars
Review originally posted on Stacked.

First of all, I want to thank NetGalley and Sarah Hopkins for providing me with a free review copy of The Subjects.

Daniel, a 16-year-old delinquent, is about to end up in a correctional facility when his drug-dealing endeavour is discovered. Suddenly, for some reason, theres no jail time. During his trial, the mysterious Doctor J shows up and takes Daniel to his special school instead and isolated place with a dozen other gifted
Edwin Howard
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
THE SUBJECTS, by Sarah Hopkins, takes a page from the social experimentation and subliminal influencing that flourished in the 1960's and 1970's. Daniel is one of several young patients at what he can only decipher as a school with an agenda for mental healing. The entire book is told from Daniel's perspective, so as Daniel begins to piece together what the school really is and the way they are handling him and the other patients, Daniel start to question why he is there and should he stay.
The
« previous 1 3 next »
Aussie Readers: Win a copy of The Subjects! Ends 21st June 6 41 Jun 14, 2019 09:46PM
Books on the Nigh...: Win a copy of The Subjects! 2 30 Jun 12, 2019 10:02AM

• The Yield
  • Six Minutes
  • Room for a Stranger
  • See What You Made Me Do: Power, Control and Domestic Violence
  • F*ck No!: How to Stop Saying Yes  When You Can't, You Shouldn't,  or You Just Don't Want To
  • The Apartment
  • Eight Lives
  • The Wife and the Widow
  • Wearing Paper Dresses
  • Fake: A startling true story of love in a world of liars, cheats, narcissists, fantasists and phonies
  • The Weekend
  • Bruny
  • There Was Still Love
Sarah Hopkins is a criminal lawyer, the wife of Matt Moran and the mother of two young children. She is the author of two novels, The Crimes of Billy Fish, which was highly commended in the inaugural ABC Fiction Awards, and Speak to Me.

News & Interviews