Start by marking “The Accident” as Want to Read:
The Accident

The Accident

Can a wrong number bring true love or only heartache?

Ashlyn Conner’s life is spiraling out of control. She's already lost her father, and now that her mom is battling thyroid cancer, she fears being orphaned at fifteen. When a friendly stranger texts the wrong number, Ashlyn finds a confidant she didn’t realize she needed. The more Ashlyn gets to know Chris Knowles, the m
Published January 16th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Accident, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accident

Start your review of The Accident
Kim Hampton
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great read from A.M. Heath! A truly unique book, with a story told entirely through text messages and diary entries. Its themes of mother-daughter clashes, dealing with a life-threatening illness, and feeling lost and alone, will resonate with so many people; and its Christian message of love and forgiveness will touch hearts. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy, and then read all of her other fantastic works also!
I received an advance copy to edit and review. I was not compensated i
Abigail Harris
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-in-paperback
My Review:

Genre: Contemporary fiction, romance.

My Rating: 4 and 1/2 stars.

Recommendation: 13 up for romance.

My favorite character is: Chris is so great with everything that goes on, I can’t say more because of big spoilers. But Chris is such a great guy! He was good at being there for a total stranger, and I loved how he was shown through the texts.

My Verse for Chris is James 1:27
Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction
Daphne Self
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I remember reading a book long ago about two people meeting by corresponding through letters....letters through the mail.
This book is a more updated version.
The character Ashlyn was a near perfect portrayal of a teenager raised in a godly home. I loved how Heath was able to show the mood swings and the budding maturity in the girl.
This was a quick and fun read, but it held subtle messages throughout. I'm glad I was able to read this book.
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of The Accident from the author. All opinions expressed are my own.

If I could use one word to describe this novella, it would be adorable. I mean seriously, this is so cute!

1. The characters. This novella is a mere 105 pages and fitting any kind of meaningful character building in there is extremely challenging. However, Heath did it brilliantly. Each character is explored through at least one facet of their psyche: Ashlyn with her insecurity, Danielle with her uncertainty, and
Angie Thompson
I have to admit that when I first read the description of this book, it set off just about every possible alarm bell in my head. But then I read the first sample chapter, and it intrigued me enough that I knew I needed to read more...

So, yeah, in theory, the idea of a teenage girl accidentally meeting a man over text and getting to know him without her mother's knowledge is enough to send anyone running. Complicate that with the facts that a) Ashlyn gives her name and age as her mother's, b) she
Deana Dick
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved the way the author told the story using texts and journal entries. How many of us have ever dialed the wrong number? Ashlyn is a teenage girl who has lost her dad and now may be losing her mom to cancer. She is very lonely and finds herself isolated at times from everyone. Ashlyn really needs a friend and perhaps God has a plan . When Ashlyn receives a text message from someone she doesn't know, I think she was so desperate to talk to someone, that she responded to the text. As sh ...more
Katja
3 stars & 3/10 hearts. This was a most unique plot and I really enjoyed it. It kept me hooked to see how it would all end up. I appreciated how it made a good story but also gave a good warning. I think this would be a good read for teen girls with cellphones as long as they understand that what Ashlyn did was really dangerous and they should never try it hoping it’ll turn out the same way. The only thing I disliked was the romance—kissing & touching before they got engaged. Chris was an awesome ...more
Debbie
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was my Facebook post as soon as I finished reading the last word of this book, I just finished reading “The Accident by Anita Richardson Heath and the tears are falling it was a wonderful book but it made me miss mom so much more but I’m so glad I read the book even with that and I recommend the book to anyone that wants a fun book about three serious issues, cancer and a young girl texting an older man and a troubled relationship between a mother and a daughter. This book was so worth the ...more
Marilyn
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Accident is a quick and original type story as it’s written with text messages and diary entries. Chris Knowles text to a wrong number ended read by a troubled young Ashlyn. The text messages continued until Ashlyn’s mother received one. A meeting, more text messages and encouragement provide a new future for the characters?

A.M. Heath has a way of drawing characters into her stories that bring smiles, tears and moments of true bliss to readers. There’s an interwoven Christian message that i
Kimberly Bowie
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness! A.M. Heath has done it again! She has written another page turner that I absolutely could not put down until I read the last word! This is a short story and is easily read in one sitting. I love the way she chose to tell the story---through text messages and journal entries. It leaves no guessing as to what a character might be thinking or feeling. It is all put out there for the reader. It was so easy to love the characters, even through their flaws.

I highly recommend this book
Carro Herdegen
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Language: G (0 swears, 0 "f"); Mature Content: PG; Violence: PG
This is a cute story that comes from an odd beginning. I was surprised by the very Christian beliefs and advise freely discussed between characters but felt that it was pretty natural and sincere dialogue. A good afternoon read for a happily ever after ending.
Kathryn Munsell
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

Yes in real life it could have been a horrible situation. But the author handled it well I think. She talked about the bad stuff while giving us a sweet love story. Where a teenage girl needed a father in her life and the Mom needed a husband.
Pamela
WOW! A.M. Heath knows how to draw readers into her books and this reader couldn’t put it down until I was finished. Actually, I was shocked when I reach the end because I was so caught up in it.
The whole book was text messages and journal entries. YES! This made the book so much more interesting and I’ve never read a book like this before. Even though it was written this way we still were able to learn about each character and their flaws and strengths. I kelt wondering how the problems could e
Karen
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story

I enjoyed reading this book, because love between two people was the result of a text message sent to the wrong person. It was actual text messages and journal entries so written in a unique way. It was great, and I always like stories with a HEA ending.
Alicia Ruggieri
Big things come in little packages. :-) And that's true for this short, sweet novella that surprised me with its intense yet not-forced spiritual message. I got sucked right into the engaging storyline of a single mom with cancer whose teenage daughter has a hard time dealing with the blows of life... and her relationship with her mom. (spoiler) Enter the "accidental" meeting with a godly, wise man who gathers this broken twosome together in his loving heart. Really a beautiful contemporary stor ...more
Brenda
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A story told through text messages and a diary. This was quite interesting and kept me reading. Ashley’s loneliness and her Mother’s illness is something that people can relate to. Kids can get into all kinds of trouble when a parent is ill and not able to oversee them. I thought it was neat how the romance got started then how cautious Danielle was when she found out her daughter had been texting a stranger. A different kind of book for me and I really enjoyed it. If you’ve never read A. M. Hea ...more
Virginia Winfield
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very sweet romance that is quick and easy to read. One of the first books I have read that was written in text messages and diary entries. I loved the characters and hoped every thing would come out happy in the end. Really enjoyed. I received a copy of this book from the author for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will.
Emily Yager
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary
The entire book is told through text messages and journal entires. A unique story that is a quick read. It deals with a lot of real issues with a Christian perpective. While I had my reservations when I starrted this one, they were quickly dispelled after I read the first chapter. A cute read that is worth looking into.
S.G. Willoughby
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
I feel bad for giving it 3 stars. Let's make that 3.5, shall we? I'm just overly stingy on the stars. (Also, kinda loopy writing this review, so bear with me ;)) Overall, I liked this book. It was a quick, easy read with well-defined character relationships. It also had an interesting and unique premise/style, tackling the pros and cons of virtual friendships with candid honesty. But... again, I feel bad for saying this... it had the potential to be even stronger. The journal entries in particul ...more
Raechel Lenore
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
My favorite thing about this little novella is the way it is written – completely through text messages and journal entries! I could read books in that format all day long. ;) It reminds me of my near-obsession of reading the Dear America books growing up. So fun!
The storyline was cute, and I thought Ashlynn was a very good character, and I understood her motives behind her actions. I didn’t really “bond” with the mother all that much; to be honest she kind of annoyed me at times. I felt for her
Darla Damron
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-paperback
This was a quick and fun novella to read! It was well written and it did not seemed rush or have the story cut-off. I loved the Hockey info and remember all of the events talked about. Spiritual Content was spot on and well weaved into the story.
Judy G
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is such a sweet heartwarming story.
Loretta Marchize
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five stars

Prose: 5/5
Romance: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Prose:

This book is entirely made up of texts and diary entries. I thought the author carried it out very well, and I did not once feel as if it should have been in traditional style.
Romance:
Cute! Not over the top, only one described kiss, and I really enjoyed the sweetness of it all.
Characters:
Very relatable. Ashlyn is very different from me, but I still really liked her. And the father/daughter relationship, because you don't see much of t
ArynTheLibraryan
The experience of an epistolary story is unique and fun. The characters are very real and raw, "unfiltered" as if it were a real text or journal entry. I was hooked and read it in one sitting this morning. I agree Ashlyn should have talked to someone about what was going on, and I feel like that was addressed thoroughly without beating it to death. But I also understood how having someone 'outside the bubble' was a huge help.

All in all, a great, quick read, and a lot to think about, as a parent
Mary Beth
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Judy Nelson
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Still puzzled!!

What's going on here??? Did the story end? It felt like there was so much more to it, but then there wasn't.
Krista Noorman
Jul 20, 2020
Victoria Reed
Mar 03, 2020
Goodreads Librari...: Book needs merging 3 19 Jan 18, 2019 05:19PM

• Just As I Am (Unfailing Love Book 1)
  • Her Last First Kiss (Last Chance Ranch Romance #1)
  • Wagon Train Baby (Love on the Santa Fe Trail #1)
  • The Runaway Bride (The Bride Ships, #2)
  • The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #3)
  • Pretending to Wed (Frontier Vows, #2)
  • Before I Called You Mine
  • Tempting Tait (Marriages of Conviction Book 2)
  • Hope's Highest Mountain (Heirs of Montana, #1)
  • Noble Pursuits
  • Summer with the Marine
  • No Filter (Barks & Beans Cafe Cozy Mystery, #1)
  • Choose Me, Cowboy (77th Copper Mountain Rodeo #4; Canadays of Montana #2)
  • Never Let Go (Uncommon Justice #1)
  • Standoff (Natchez Trace Park Rangers #1)
  • A Long Trail Rolling (The Long Trails, #1)
  • Smoke Screen
  • Until the Mountains Fall (Cities of Refuge, #3)
Besides being an Indie Author, I’m a wife, mother of four, Sunday School teacher, sweet tea drinker, history fanatic, romantic, bubbly, lover of broccoli, and a retired cake decorator who has a soft spot for Christmas trees, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, and sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ.
What I’m not is a laundress (or at least not one who keeps up very well), a duster, tall, or patient in a d