Start by marking “The Systems View of the World: A Holistic Vision for Our Time” as Want to Read:
The Systems View of the World: A Holistic Vision for Our Time

The Systems View of the World: A Holistic Vision for Our Time

Taking the view that understanding the meaning behind the complex formulas of science is more important than ever, this work attempts to explain the systems view of the world as the paradigm of the latest scientific developments.
Published January 1st 1996 by Hampton Press (NJ) (first published 1972)

Romanas
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is short, but deep. Ervin Laszlo, one of the great systems thinkers, discusses the integrative approach and how it could lead to a more intelligent future of the mankind. The arguments are profound and philosophical, good for further thinking. I liked the chapter about consciousness and subjectivity. As the author points out: “Subjectivity is the slave of actuality”.
Ash Moran
I'll never do this book justice without writing something longer that it is itself. The mechanistic, reductionist view of the world we got from the classical sciences (from Newton if not before) is inadequate to explain the world. It had already failed in physics, and we're seeing it fail now in our economy and ecology. If you have any curiosity about how our world works as a set of increasingly complex and differentiated, yet interdependent, systems, you owe it to yourself to read this. (I just ...more
Harry Fulgencio
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Refreshing and enlightening read.I am especially fond of the last few sentences in this book "The supreme challenge of our age is to specify, and learn to respect, the objective norms of existence within the complex and delicately balanced hierarchic order that is both in us and around us"

Although philosophical in content, it is something relevant to what i am currently pursuing and that is what i will find out in the next few years
Morgan Hastings
i stole this from my ex girlfriend's father. (sorry) good philosophical discussion.
Ouroboros
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
omg - the love of my life

7 - the large groups we thus come to deal w/ appear to establish their own 'personalities.' even if most of their individual members change, the groups' characteristics tend to be preserved. for example, over the years athletic teams exchange their players, w/ younger ones replacing the veteran performers. yet the teams usu maintain much of their own characteristics--their tactics and techniques, their fighting spirit, and so on. even more striking is the con
Dan Pfeiffer
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
I almost gave it 4 stars but I felt Laszlo's writing style at this time was still a bit steeped in academia as opposed to his more recent books on his realization of the "Akashic" field. Here, we have a work that serves as the genesis of that concept in that a holistic systems view of the world (everything we can perceive and not perceive in the universe) is vital to our understanding of role in it thus better to serve in future structure of action and endeavor. Heady stuff fo sure! But brillian ...more
Amber
Jan 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: complex-systems
This book provides a general introduction to the sciences of organized complexity. It covers the history in terms of its emergence and opposition to an atomic view; the qualities that define organizational invariants; and how the systems view differs from the atomic view in terms of one's perception of self, community, and culture. However, it lacks footnotes or rigorous notation to back up its statements or lead to further reading.
Bold Bookworm
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
... This book is academic, compact and convincing. It is a highbrow sales pitch from a Club of Rome thinker who clearly sees the big picture.

Read the entire review here: http://boldbookworm.com/sv040611.html

~ BB

Michael Weaver
a very introspective book analyzing the inseparable parts of nature and that everything we do to everyone and everything else influences ourselves as well as well as challenging the reader to think in enriching simplicity, while inviting complete exploration simultaneously.
Javier
May 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Beginning was fine. Becomes progressively wretched. Wild generalization will do that.
C.J. Capen
Clayton Moore
Oct 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• General System Theory: Foundations, Development, Applications
  • The Systems Thinking Playbook: Exercises to Stretch and Build Learning and Systems Thinking Capabilities
  • Cartesian Linguistics: A Chapter in the History of Rationalist Thought
  • Technology and the Character of Contemporary Life: A Philosophical Inquiry
  • مردان اندیشه: پدیدآورندگان فلسفه معاصر
  • An Introduction to General Systems Thinking
  • The Theory of Evolution
  • The Innovation Algorithm: Triz, Systematic Innovation and Technical Creativity
  • Geons, Black Holes and Quantum Foam: A Life in Physics
  • Large-Scale Scrum: Scaling Agile for Large & Multisite Development
  • The Scientific Outlook
  • The Case Study Handbook: How to Read, Discuss, and Write Persuasively About Cases
  • Mastering the Requirements Process
Ervin Laszlo is a systems philosopher, integral theorist, and classical pianist. Twice nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, he has authored more than 70 books, which have been translated into nineteen languages, and has published in excess of four hundred articles and research papers, including six volumes of piano recordings.

Dr. Laszlo is generally recognized as the founder of systems
“Whereas traditional reductionism sought to find the commonality underlying diversity in reference to a shared substance, such as material atoms, contemporary systems theory seeks to find common features in terms of shared aspects of organization.” 2 likes