Start by marking “The Messianic Legacy” as Want to Read:
The Messianic Legacy

The Messianic Legacy

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  846 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
The startling, frighteningly convincing sequel to The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail that reveals the very nature of the Messianic Legacy.

After the shocking revelations of The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail the authors, in their quest to determine the discrepancies between early and modern 'Christian' thought, found that they were forced to ask such questions as:

*Was there m
Published August 1st 1996 by Arrow (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Messianic Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Messianic Legacy

Alex Rudder
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If Michael Baigent didn't stir the pot enough with The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, nearly tipped it over with this one. With constant references to controversial pieces that challenged religion, Baigent slowly begins to build an argument that highlights flaws in many of the sacred texts. I found it interesting that early 1900's philosophers that wrote texts concerning the life, and death, of Jesus Christ faced intense hatred from those of religious beliefs, similar to those who challenged rel ...more
Gianni
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sequel to The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail", the part about the historical Jesus is by far the most accurate account of the life of the man - not the semi-god. Even as an atheist, I found this extremely interesting and helpful.
TheBauchler
Jul 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Silly.
Kenton Crowther
Apr 20, 2012 rated it liked it
This book goes into the meaning of Messiahship, where
its predecessor, The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail
examined the bloodline of Jesus and asked whether it flowed in the veins of the Merovingian Kings of France.

The Messianic Lewgacy aims to present the Jesus of history, the man who lived and breathed in the seething cockpit of Palestine around the year 33 A.D. The gentle Jesus they told us about in school, he seemed to be in Disneyland. That tale had grown stale, and suddenly the first century
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this before its predecessor, the very famous (and suppressed with controversy and obfuscation) Holy Blood, Holy grail; and then had to go get that one and read it. It explained a good deal I had heard since the eighties, but more.

Some of the facts and arguments are incontrovertible. Various names, and their meanings, for example.

While the average person of European descent has lost it - not in the smallest measure because it suits the powers that tried hard to veil information and knowl
Mex
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: religion
Highly disappointing! I have read a few books from the same authors, and thoroughly enjoyed them. The same can not be said for the Messianic Legacy. Although it contains some very interesting (but largely ludicrous) theories, the going is far harder than in their other books, A couple of times I found myself getting bored and skipping on the next heading. I know the authors had a big falling out at some point, I can only assume it was somewhere between starting to write this book, and finishing ...more
Lars
Sep 09, 2008 rated it liked it
More lovely nonsense from the folks that brought us the Da Vinci Code but didn't get paid for it. (Note: use more supermarket-find-a-word-level puzzles next time. Make the rubes feel smarter.) This one isn't as seamless as HBHG; the leaps in logic grow ever larger. However, should the heir of Jesus rise to claim his rightful position (Gen. Secretary of UN? Prime Minister of France? Commissioner of Major League Baseball?) he's got my vote.
Peter Hurst
Feb 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Strongly Recommend
The continuation to Holy Blood, Holy Grail. This one delves more into philosophy and interpretations of the Bible, which I liked a lot. Exploring how the world has been shaped by the influence of religion and power. Such topics, as Hitler's rise to power, being fueled by religion and his self proclamation as the next Messiah.
Ivan
Oct 01, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Michael Baigent going a little too far this time trying to force a connection of the grail's issue with politics.
Yes we all know that ancient Messianic movement was political movement but i think its too much if Baigent over extending the world of this secret Merovingian things with so many medern day political and counter intelligent groups.
John Harvey
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book because I thought it was about me.

Seriously folks - I gave this five stars, but just as I said in my review of "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" let me go on record that those 5 stars are based on the entertainment value of this book.

I usually stay away from conspiracy books & crazy people, but this is well written and well researched.
Dan
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Holy Blood Holy Grail was an amazing book, but also amazingly dry until the information was eventually popularised and trivialised by Dan Brown. Messianic Legacy was just OK, but still had very interesting bits about Jesus' siblings and twin(s), how and why Christianity was created from Judaism, the birth of the EU, and humanity's search for meaning.
John Bentley
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The follow up book to The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail separating fact from fiction that first spawned the stream of books including the da Vinci Code and its huge success in its revelations of the bloodline of Jesus and Mary Magdalene's child, a story now contained and continued in the tale of Francis Bacon, the writer of Shakepeare, and Tudor genius, as in The Royal Secret.
Patricia Walker
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have an active interest in the subject of the books by these guys and found this one extremely illuminating although it was tough going at times. It certainly raises more questions than it answers in most cases and showed how much is still kept from modern day citizens for various reasons be they right or wrong
Karthik
Jun 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Another ground breaking research from the authors of Holy Blood and The Holy Grail. Also a possible insight into the ancient secret society and the keepers of the bloodline of Jesus, Prieure De Sion (Priory of Sion)
Kasia
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's quite interesting book, nice continuation of "Holy Grail, Holy Blood". If you read the first one, read the second one and keep mind opened.
Doris Pearson
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of interesting history. Didn't answer any of my questions.
M.K. MacInnes
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Weaker than the previous two in the trilogy and I felt the thread got a bit lost towards the end.
Nancy
Nov 27, 2010 marked it as to-read
I love anything that has to do with the Knight's Templar and how Christianity went from being a small group of people to one of the most influential forces in history.
Mar 10, 2009 added it
good
Eve Recinella (Between The Bookends)
Interesting read!
Patrick
May 03, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: history
A great read...but ultimately built on a hoax and that is why the one star.
Alex Blance
today Christianity originate from Pauline thought?...who were the true and original christians of today/ and from what source?....read this book. you can decide for yourself.
Joanna
May 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Interesting...
Inara
title in German:
Das Vermächtnis des Messias
وسام عبده
Very complicated alternative history based on conspiracy theory and a very extreme interpretation for historical, architectural, and religious evidences.
Kai Palchikoff
Delta
Pablo
Aug 26, 2012 added it
Simon Peter = Simon Zealot
Yeshua of the Essenes an armed revolutioner
The great christian cover-up
Emma
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, religion
A follow-up on their first book Holy Blood, Holy Grail. In a way also a defense of the first one. Readable, interesting bit far fetched
Salsadancer
Sep 25, 2009 rated it did not like it
The dots don't connect; a hoax.
Amanda
Nov 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
great read; can get bogged down by so many dates & names; part 1: great, focused on jesus/messiah; part 2: not so good, focused on history of priory of sion; two parts seemed disconnected
  • The Templar Revelation: Secret Guardians of the True Identity of Christ
  • The Second Messiah
  • Bloodline of the Holy Grail: The Hidden Lineage of Jesus Revealed
  • The Jesus Dynasty: The Hidden History of Jesus, His Royal Family and the Birth of Christianity
  • The Jesus Family Tomb: The Discovery, the Investigation & the Evidence That Could Change History
  • The Mammoth Book of Cover-Ups: The 100 Most Terrifying Conspiracies of All Time
  • The End of Days (The Earth Chronicles, #7)
  • The Other Bible
  • The Woman with the Alabaster Jar: Mary Magdalen and the Holy Grail
  • Reincarnation and the Law of Karma A Study of the Old-New World-Doctrine of Rebirth, and Spiritual Cause and Effect
  • A New Encyclopaedia of Freemasonry (Ars Magna Latomorum) And of Cognate Instituted Mysteries: Their Rites, Literature and History (Combined Edition: Two ... Rites Literature and History/2 Volumes in 1)
  • How Jesus Became Christian
  • A Pilgrim's Path: Freemasonry and the Religious Right
  • 60 Greatest Conspiracies Of All Time - History's Biggest Mysteries, Cover-ups, And Cabals
  • The Book Your Church Doesn't Want You to Read Book II: or Synagogue, Temple, Mosque
  • Symbols of Freemasonry
  • The Sign and the Seal: The Quest for the Lost Ark of the Covenant
  • Who Wrote the New Testament? The Making of the Christian Myth
Michael Baigent was born in New Zealand in 1948. He graduated with a bachelor's degree in psychology from Canterbury University, Christchurch, and holds a master's degree in mysticism and religious experience from the University of Kent in England. Since 1976 he has lived in England with his wife and children.

Baigent is a Freemason and a Grand Officer of the United Grand Lodge of England. He has
More about Michael Baigent...