Start by marking “Awakenings & French Songs” as Want to Read:
Awakenings & French Songs

Awakenings & French Songs

An existential awakening and lots of French chansons equal a favorite neighbor seen in a new light.

Iggy Wilker never expected his 36th birthday to turn into an existential crisis. When Iggy’s friends celebrate him with his usual favorite pastime—drinking, dancing, and willing guys—he suddenly wants nothing to do with any of it. He’s fed up and ready for something else. The
ebook
Published January 12th 2019 by JMS Books

To ask other readers questions about Awakenings & French Songs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakenings & French Songs

Len Evans Jr
Short but so beautifully written, sweet and adorable. On page sex goes no further than kissing, but for this story that is perfection.
Susan
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Iggy is a real party animal, but somehow on his 36th birthday he comes to the conclusion that the foam party he is at just isn’t doing it for him anymore.

So he goes home and decides to turn over a new leaf. And that includes his hot neighbor Ronan and his daughter. Iggy has always had the hots for Ronan, but never wanted a serious relationship so he just stayed friends. But now the time has come to let Ronan know he has different intentions...

I’m becoming quite the Nell Iris fan these d
Karen
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
There was sweet and there was feelz...so many feelz, but...

I really wanted more. This is only my second read by this author and while I only gave this one 3 stars if I was giving stars for potential there would have been at least 4 stars on this one. I loved the story and was over the moon about the potential it held. I just needed more actual story to get me there.

When we first meet Iggy, he's at a crossroads in his life. There's a lot about his life that he likes but as he gets closer to his
Annika
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
For me, short stories are always a gamble. So many of them feel rushed, shallow or incomplete, not to mention the whole insta-love feel many of them have. Awakenings and French Songs really worked for me, It was sweet and angst free and nice escape for when you only have a few minutes over for a quick read.

It's told solely from Iggy's POV, and when we first meet him he's (not) celebrating his 36th birthday by being miserable in a bar. Deciding to skip out on the celebrations early he makes his w
Sheri
Sadly, this was a struggle.
I enjoyed my first book by this author and anticipated another solid read.
I wanted to like it.
I tried to like it.
But it felt like work.
It came together in the end but I can't say it's something I would recommend.
Totally random but I don't know anyone that fishes with maggots...still trying to figure out why a maggot would be bait on a hook?! *shakes head*

*3 upgraded stars*
Truuss / Loveislovereview
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, m-m
Iggy is not happy...
His mood was palpable. He was tired of the life he lived.

Sitting and drinking tea with his neighbor Ronan was soothing and healing.

Both men were so different... Ronan was warm, tender, patient and honest, Iggy was a slut, a party guy and the fun neighbor.

Ronan had eyes for Iggy from first sight but knew he didn't have a chance... what party guy wants a man with a little daughter?

Iggy had eyes for Ronan right away but knew he was no deal for a serious relationship.
Then there
Becca
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an absolute sweet story. And romantic. It's not always about the sex but the relationship and the intimacy. The bonds and friendship. I loved this story.
Age makes you realize a lot of things. It makes you see things differently, want things differently, approach things differently.  You find yourself not wanting the same things you used to. I know for me it was that way. And for Iggy in this story too. His birthday party wasn't what it was cracked up to be. He spent his time hiding up at th
Becca
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie
4 Stars

This was a short and sweet read. Iggy and Ronan were such nice guys and I loved them as a couple. Although this was short, the story was well-written, felt complete and the characters were well-developed.

I really enjoyed reading Iggy, Ronan and Emery’s story and I was left wanting more, but in a good way.

Enjoyable and definitely recommendable!

*copy provided by author/publisher in exchange for an honest review*

Megan
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A birthday bash matching the Iggy of the past just doesn't work for him anymore. Not to mention a few insults from a rejected bathroom encounter sealing his decision to leave his own party. But he has no idea why the life he's led is so unfulfilling now. A deep sense of dissatisfaction sends him home early and an invitation from the handsome, tender single dad across the hall is just what his soul needs, always needs. An evening of tea, conversation, and achingly beautiful French music opens his ...more
Ayla
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, shorts, kids
I want more of this story! Iggy and Ronan are super sweet and I loved the addition of Emery into the tale. The writing was great and I found myself wishing that I had gotten more of a background, just to see how a full length novel would be written. There were little hints that I wanted to explore more, like Iggy's past and Emery's mother. Even though I wanted more, I still appreciated this short story and was very happy to get that sort of epilogue at the end!

*** Copy provided to Bayou Book Ju
Lillian Francis
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not what I was expecting after reading the first few pages.
Lovely short read.
No steam or angst. This is that perfect moment story. The point in the story when everything sorts itself out. I'd have loved to read a novel length story of these two with all the mutual pining and unrequited love leading up to this moment. But as it is this is a gentle read and provides a suitably sweet epilogue.
Isa Tis
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 *

Le titre de cette nouvelle histoire de Nell Iris m’a tout de suite séduite, j’étais très curieuse de découvrir ce que cela cachait !
J’ai tout de suite été emballée par la romance entre Iggy et Ronan, ces deux voisins, qui ont des modes de vie complètement différents mais qui ne sont pas insensibles au charme de l’autre, l’un est un fêtard invétéré et l’autre un papa célibataire et rangé d’une fille de 11 ans. Lors de son 36ème anniversaire Iggy prend conscience que la vie qu’il mène ne le s
Helena Stone
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cute, m-m, romance, sweet
I know it’s not a term usually associated with books in which the main protagonist is in his mid-thirties, but to me this read pretty much as a coming-of-age story. Either that or a coming-to-your-senses tale.

To say that Iggy’s life makes a full turn-around on the night of his 36th birthday almost feels like an understatement. Especially in the first part of the story it’s hard to escape the feeling that Iggy transformed from a party-animal into a homebody literally in a heartbeat. It’s only as
Christina Wade - BFD Book Blog
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have a love/hate relationship with short stories. I love having my impatient desire to get to the good stuff sated, but I miss the slow development of a relationship.

I adore this author’s writing and would love to read a full-length novel of hers…especially something like an expanded story of these two. I just want to see more time with them together. I liked what we got but the opportunity for a heart melting full-on romance is right there…out of our reach.

Iggy is begrudgingly growing up an
ButtonsMom2003
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: xd-assigned-read
A sweet short story, I loved it!

I've read quite a few short-ish stories by Nell Iris and have come to appreciate her writing style. In my opinion she does a great job with short stories, which is not an easy task. She manages to make the story seem much longer (in a good way). She conveys a lot of depth and creates poignant stories with a minimum amount of words and little to no angst.

I fell in love with Iggy and Ronan. Ronan is such a sweet man, with a daughter who means the world to him. Iggy
Dixiecowgirl
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written romance with a clarity of sight and oodles of positive emotion. i love how the author paints a passionate journey for these MC's with a few cups of tea, friendship and French love songs. You will want to join them at their kitchen table as they build their forever. This author can do amazing things with just a few amazing pages and wonderful characters.

Iggy and Ronan discover that they are finally at the same point in their lives, that they can let their friendship progress
Kirstin
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Family and waiting was the theme here and there were such tender moments, I couldn't help but fall for this story.

Iggy has just turned 36 and after a night at the club, he's feeling rather old. And like he's been missing something in his life but he can't figure out what. When he heads home early and alone, for once, he passes his neighbor, Ronan, in the hallway and is invited over for tea.

Ronan is a single dad to 11 year old Emery. They've spent years living across from Iggy and have had a few
Valerie
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nell Iris always writes characters you can't help but love. When you meet Iggy, he's hiding in the bathroom of a club on a night he normally enjoys, and yet what has become routine for him had lost its luster. He goes home and runs into his neighbor, Ronan, who invites him over to talk. Iggy is different, honest around Ronan and you see they have a great relationship. When Iggy realizes that he's ready for a relationship and a solid one at that, he tells Ronan, who's been waiting for him. This s ...more
Nicole Smith
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
This was a nice quick delightful read. When I finished all I thought I wish it were a little longer because I wasn't ready for Iggy and Ronan's story to end. I gobbled this book right up in one sitting. I mean Ronan had me right from the get-go being a single dad. I loved reading Iggy and Ronan interacting with one another. This book is romantic and will make any romantic heart swoon. Like I said the only thing I wish it were longer because I was instantly captured by Iggy, Ronan, and Emery.
Anita
Very short lovely gumdrop of a book about Iggy, a self-described party boy and slut and his neighbor, Ronan, a guy with an 11 year old daughter. Nicely written but always at low burn. You do get good backstory on both guys but not much happens. Yes, it's a typical novella from this author, but this book is a little bit slower than some of her others. Still a good read.
Sylvia
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
~3☆~
Ali
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review An Alisa Review:

Rating: 4 stars out of 5

This story was sweet. Iggy has hit that point in his life that the partying and quick encounters don’t feel right. Ronan’s life is focused around his daughter and though Iggy has become a part of their life he hasn’t let anyone in close.

I liked this story but didn’t feel a strong connection to the characters. Being a short story a surface view is expect but I just felt as though I would have liked to know them be
Carrie Griffin
Lyn
Feb 12, 2019
jdl
Jan 22, 2019
Nell Iris is a romantic at heart who believes everyone deserves a happy ending. She’s a bona fide bookworm (learned to read long before she started school), wouldn’t dream of going anywhere without something to read (not even the ladies room), loves music (and singing along but let’s face it, she’s not Celine Dion), and is a real Star Trek nerd (Make it so). She loves words, poetry, wine, and Sudo ...more