Start by marking “Everdark” as Want to Read:
Everdark

Everdark

It is midnight in Crackledawn – a midnight full of magic. Sea dragons stir in the depths of the ocean, silver whales surface beneath the moon and sand goblins line the shores. Everyone is waiting for the phoenix, the guardian of the kingdom’s magic, to rise up from the forests of Everdark.

But there is no sign of the phoenix tonight. Something else surges up out of Everdark
Published February 28th 2019 by Simon & Schuster Children's UK

To ask other readers questions about Everdark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everdark

Start your review of Everdark
Michelle Harrison
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exquisitely told and packed with adventure and magic, a story of an unlikely friendship and the power of self belief. Abi Elphinstone’s imagination is breathtaking.
Abigail
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the whole book and how it inspires people who maybe struggle at things others can do to be who They want to be. AMAZING
Alice (Married To Books)
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a very visual and adventurous read, with a ton of action and fun! I understand that Everdark is a prequel to a series written by the same author. At the time of writing this review, I haven't started the series yet! Set in Crackledown, there's trouble rising when a famous Phoenix hasn't risen and so the only person that can save the kingdom from doom is main character Smudge. Younger readers will definitely appreciate the world-building and array of characters. ...more
hidden.reader
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
A really good book and I can’t wait to read the rest of the series and the rest of Abi’s work
Danie ☔☕
Aug 22, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a prequel to Rumblestar (which I read earlier this month). Didn't like this one as much as Rumblestar, but is has some really lovely moments and messages and it surely is a wonderful read for younger readers. ...more
Marion
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: daisy, tobias
Aren’t you happy that things like the World Book Day exist? I sure am or maybe this little book, Everdark, would have never seen the light of day.

The book in itself is short, just over 100 pages really, but it holds so much. It serves as a prequel to the first of the Unmapped Chronicles, Rumblestar.

We are introduced to the land of Crackledawn and all their peculiarities. Sunriders and Sunsmiths, Rockgoblins and Watergum, Phoenixes and evil Harpies are just some of the things the reader gets intr
Amy
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read

I listened to Rumblestar on Scribd a while ago and absolutely fell in love with it, so when I saw there was a prequel I knew I needed to pick it up!

Following the journey of Smudge and Bartholomew as they try and save the Faraway and the Unmapped Kingdoms from Morg.

This was just as delightful as Rumblestar; Abi always manages to build such amazing stories and characters and this was no different. I love Smudge; she was so brave and kind, even when people thought she wasn’t clever.
Izabella (Pages Full of Stars)
Book #7 for Believathon, November 2020: Read a book with a dangerous setting

This books was so good! The story was very engaging and I applaud the author's imagination, as it was truly creative as well!

It's a quick read, full of adventures, humour and magic. The imagery is so vivid and beatifully written, I could easily imagine the whole setting and I loved it. It also puts a big focus on believing in yourself and finding your inner strength, which I feel will be a great inspiration for the youn
Dreximgirl
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this - it took me far too long to read it because I found the font size meant I had to concentrate more lol but I enjoyed it. Smudge is adorable and I loved her a lot. I am looking forward to reading Rumblestar even more now.
James Kirton
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really enjoyable short story, I enjoyed every page of it.
A Severs
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant appetite-whetter for the forthcoming series!
I'mogén
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
From the start I was excited at how promising this book sounded. The prologue had me hooked, but I wasn't sure how a new series was going to begin with such a tiny book, however don't let that mislead you! The font is tiny and this didn't feel like the "simpler" world book day books I've read in the past. It had a complexity to it that raised my expectations futher still.

I loved that our main character is accompanied by a straight to the point, talking monkey and sentient ship. It was a lovely t
Sara
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
Girls who don’t fit in and white nosed monkeys are my new favourite things.

This was such a delightful read! It’s just over 100 pages but it feels like it was around 300- in a good way. I hadn’t been feeling like reading recently and this book’s lifted my spirits.
A couple of my favourite things about this book were:
1: Bartholomew I just loved his slightly sarcastic attitude and by the end when he accepted how he felt and that it’s ok for him to be loved and want adventure
2: the magical creatur
Anjana
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes I dabble in books aimed at a younger audience to keep things interesting. This particular book is small, action-packed at aimed at an audience of young kids with stars of adventure in their eyes and a fondness for quirky people and a few big words.

The status quo has been disturbed and an unknown enemy has been released into an approaching night. The plot is simple, the characters minimal and world building enough to keep the interest of children. The 'moral' of the story is simple but
Sabrina
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Smudge thinks she's just a bit of a disaster who will never learn to be a proper Sunraider or Sunsmith, but there's a niggle inside her which makes her believe that maybe she's actually meant for something else, something more.
The magic and wonder in the whole book is charming. Almost every thing or person mentioned is enchanting and full of imagination. I even love the place names, their sounds are so pleasing, Crackledawn and Jungledrop.
I think I enjoyed the other books in this series slightl
John Naylor
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is hard to build a new world and a new quest in just over 100 pages. The author did well in building this one.

I intend to read "Sky Song" eventually. I have owned it for over a year. The indications from this short story is that I will enjoy it. This is a well built world with a lot of imagination. The story doesn't feel rushed despite the length of the book and the many elements used in it.

This book was originally given as a free book option on World Book Day 2019 and I received it for free
Stephen Connor
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short introduction to The Unmapped Chronicles, Abi Elphinstone’s new trilogy, and one in which we meet main protagonist Smudge, a fearless young girl who has been dismissed on the basis of her intellect, rather than the courage and determination she carries.

We meet witches, harpies, eels and a talking monkey, all of whom are sure to pop up again as the magic of Abi’s writing begins to flow once more. Lots to look forward to!
Emma Ferrier
I'll tell you right now that Abi Elphinstone doesn't just write about magic, she writes with magic. Her books grip me, enthral me, take me on emotional journeys... I love ever second of her books. Her characters are loveable and her sidekicks PERFECT. I implore anyone who wants to rediscover the childhood magic of books and reading (and who doesn't?!) to pick up every single one of Abi Elphinstone's books. You will not be disappointed.

BRING ON THE UNMAPPED CHRONICLES!!
Moon
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick sweet read that reminds me very much why I still love reading Middle Grade kind of books.
Smudge is a fun character and Bartholomew was also really fun to read about. The world sounds very intriguing and I can't wait for Rumblestar to come out soon! Woohoo!
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had such fun reading this prequel to Abi Elphinstone's new series- Smudge is a fabulous heroine, Bartholomew is brilliant and I love this world already. Can't wait to see more of it come Rumblestar! 4.5/5 ...more
Chloe
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ks2
WOW! I absolutely loved this book, brimming with adventure and imagination. It's amazing what imagery can be conjured up in so little pages. Fell in love with the character of Smudge - her bravery, determination and friendship would be what any KS2 classroom needs! ...more
Kinna
Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: electronic
3.5 Stars. A story I very much enjoyed, truly full of adventure and interesting characters.
Steph
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An incredible adventure filled with magic, mystical creatures and 2 brilliant main characters. I have a particular affinity for Bartholomew. This will be the most perfect book to read aloud to children!
Fern
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Abi Elpinstone's imagination is breathtaking. I got swept up in the magic and devoured Everdark in one sitting!

A magical buzz surges across each page and Elphinstone effortlessly draws the reader into her enchanting world. Adventure packed and fast-paced, even the most reluctant of readers will get sucked into Smudge's journey! With inspiring messages about self-belief, unlikely friendships and the power of never giving up, Everdark is the perfect book to get lost in and fall in love with.

Ever
Silverboggle
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable short story introducing a new world to readers and a pair of unlikely heroes. It’s a story about persevering against the odds and believing in yourself. Magic charges across the pages and draws the reader into the world. I’m very much looking forward to reading more adventures in the Unmapped Chronicles and to finding out what ‘Onward’ will involve for Smudge and Bartholomew. Abi Elphinstone offers the promise for an exciting new series for middle grade readers!
My thanks to NetGalle
Miss Morgan
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Every five hundred years the Phoenix rises from the forests of Everdark to renew the magic of the unmapped kingdoms and the faraway. When an unknown creature rises from the forest, it is up to an eleven year old girl named Smudge and a white nosed monkey named Bartholomew to save the unmapped kingdoms. Get ready to set sail on the adventure of a lifetime!

P.S Bartholomew is one of my favourite characters ever.

Beautifully told. Suitable for upper KS2, however lower KS2 would enjoy this being read
Shahrun
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: world-book-day
This book is an adventure quite unlike any Ive read before. It took me a little while to slip comfortably into Crackledawn. Once I did, the lace didn’t stop. We follow the amazingly resourceful and courageous Smudge as her and the Monkey Bartholomew go on the journey of a life time to save the world as they know it. The author really conjures some amazing images in mix of the places they go and the things they see and do. Love it! Incredible adventure for such a short story, I’d love to see what ...more
Robin Stevens
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely World Book Day short that's a wonderful adventure on its own, but also a fantastic prequel to Abi's new Unmapped Chronicles series. Perfect for fans of daring and excitement! (8+)

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. If you use it in any marketing material, online or anywhere on a published book without asking permission from me first, I will ask you to remove that use immediately. Thank you!*
Benjamin Smith
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A world book day book about adventure, finding yourself in a time of need. The story was well written and engaging. Smudge was so caught up in being what everyone wanted her to be, that the chance to be what she was meant to be was too good an opportunity to pass up. A true friendship born. I really enjoyed this story, and at this price do believe that every school should invest in a set of these!
Nikki
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short, sweet, perfect!

Really lyrical in places, Elphinstone’s gorgeous writing really shines through!

This is a really lovely and intriguing world, I loved the whole concept! I definitely need more in this universe, because I loved the characters but also because there’s so much more we could learn!
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Darkness of Dragons (Songs of Magic, #1)
  • The Highland Falcon Thief
  • A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)
  • The Land of Roar
  • Wonderscape
  • The Boy Who Grew Dragons (The Boy Who Grew Dragons, #1)
  • The Haunting of Aveline Jones
  • WildSpark
  • Orphans of the Tide
  • Brightstorm
  • High-rise Mystery
  • The Girl Who Stole an Elephant
  • A Sprinkle of Sorcery (A Pinch of Magic, #2)
  • Crater Lake
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • The Last Spell Breather
  • Willow Moss & the Lost Day (Starfell #1)
  • The Middler
Abi Elphinstone grew up in Scotland where she spent most of her childhood building dens, hiding in tree houses and running wild across highland glens. After being coaxed out of her tree house, she studied English at Bristol University and then worked as a teacher.

THE DREAMSNATCHER is her debut novel for 8-12 years (published by Simon & Schuster in 2015). THE SHADOW KEEPER is her second children's

News & Interviews