Start by marking “Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters, #1)

Daughter of the Forest

(Sevenwaters #1)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  53,681 ratings  ·  4,142 reviews
Lovely Sorcha is the seventh child and only daughter of Lord Colum of Sevenwaters. Bereft of a mother, she is comforted by her six brothers who love and protect her. Sorcha is the light in their lives, they are determined that she know only contentment.

But Sorcha's joy is shattered when her father is bewitched by his new wife, an evil enchantress who binds her brothers wit
Published February 18th 2002 by Tom Doherty Associates (first published April 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of the Forest, please sign up.
Jenny A Song of Ice and Fire is much darker, more rape and more torture. Not to mention RR Martin is reeeaaalllllyyyy long winded. ASOIAF reads more like a …moreA Song of Ice and Fire is much darker, more rape and more torture. Not to mention RR Martin is reeeaaalllllyyyy long winded. ASOIAF reads more like a historical fiction while Sevenwaters reads more like a young female adult book.(less)
Aubrey I know this is an old question but I'm responding for others who might come in looking for answers because I try to check reviews for content warnings…moreI know this is an old question but I'm responding for others who might come in looking for answers because I try to check reviews for content warnings before I read any books these days. And that's because this book taught me to check before I pick up anything off the shelves.

I read it at 16 and was very upset with one scene in particular (sexual assault, graphic, detailed) that was relived via memories throughout the remainder of the book. I tried to skip the scene to go on and read the rest of the book but it just kept coming up.

Age recommendation would depend on the person and how sensitive they are to certain subject matters. For me, it's full stop. If an assault scene comes up, I'm done with the book. End of story. Literally.

I HAD been enjoying this book up until that scene. 14 might be a bit young in my estimation, but that could be because I was so agitated at 16 by it.(less)

·  53,681 ratings  ·  4,142 reviews

Start your review of Daughter of the Forest (Sevenwaters, #1)
Kat Kennedy
***Warning**** Mention of rape and discussion of such follows.

I gave this book four stars so obviously I did enjoy it. There are actually many, many enjoyable elements to this book and I promise to get to them in a moment...
I found myself so COMPLETELY annoyed with Daughter of the Forest though I really enjoyed the book. We are treated to the terrible acts committed against Sorcha and it's rather graphic at moments. Yet when it comes to consensual, loving sex - nothing. Fade to black the moment
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $2.99 on kindle US 3/15/19

First let me give a shout out to the rapists and dog killer/abusers in the book with a gif below.

Now let's crack on with a short review 😊

So Sorcha was not born the seventh son. She was born a daughter with 6 older brothers. Finbar, Liam, Cormack, Conor, Padriac and Diarmid. These brothers take care of Sorcha and I forgot to mention she's a healer!

Well, one day their father brings home the evil sorceress that is to be the wicked stepmother!

Yeah, she puts an ol
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Everything I could tell you about Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier can be summed up in a single paragraph from the story itself:

If I were telling this tale, and it were not my own, I would give it a neat, satisfying ending . . . In such stories, there are no loose ends. There are no unraveled edges and crooked threads. Daughters do not give their hearts to the enemy. The wicked do not simply disappear, taking with them the satisfaction of vengeance.
Michelle
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, retelling
“Real life is not quite as it is in stories. In the old tales, bad things happen, and when the tale has unfolded and come to its triumphant conclusion, it is as if the bad things had never been. Life is not as simple as that, not quite.”

The above quote, hands down, sums up “Daughter of the Forest” for me. Yes, this is a fairy tale, but it also speaks truth about life: about how once you go forward, you cannot go back to the beginning…because things are never the same again. This holds true for t
Helen 2.0
I want to call this book a combination of Kushiel's Dart and Assassin's Apprentice. But in reality, Daughter of the Forest is a category all its own. A gorgeous mix of historical fiction and fantasy, an insightful hero’s journey with a dash of romance. It’s been some time since I’ve had the pleasure of reading a book so deserving of five stars.

Sorcha, daughter of the forest, tells her own tale in this book about an ancient Celtic/British feud and the magical undertones that influence it. She is
Katerina
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“All that he had of her was his memory,where he held every moment,every single moment that she had been his.That was all he had,to keep out the loneliness.”

Daughter of the Forest is one of those books.The ones that are scored on my heart,the ones that caused both my awe and respect for the story and for the author.For it takes a tremendous amount of talent and soul to write such a book.

I recall the tale of the Six Swans,I remember being a little girl watching the animated version,and it made m
Tatiana
Feb 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all fantasy/fairy tale retellings fans
Recommended to Tatiana by: Harper Bell
Shelves: 2010, fairy-tales

Aside from a couple of minor qualms, Daughter of the Forest is pretty much an example of an almost perfect debut novel.

This book is a beautiful retelling of the Celtic "Swans" myth, which has been familiar to me since childhood through the Hans Christian Andersen's version - The Wild Swans. Sorcha is the seventh child and the only daughter of Lord Colum of Sevenwaters. When Colum remarries after being widowed for almost 13 years, the evil stepmother (and witch) puts a dreadful spell on
Robin (Bridge Four)
Sale Alert 3/15/19: Daily Deal on Amazon for $2.99

It has taken me forever to get to this review because I was just not sure how I could possibly pack everything I felt during this book into coherent words stuck together that would even possibly do it justice. I still don’t think that I will be able to manage it but I’ll try.

Daughter of the Forest (DoF) takes an old Irish legend/fairy tale and breathes new life into it. I was not familiar at all with the original version of this story so I cannot
Keertana
Incredible. I know I've said I've been speechless when reading books before, but this time, I genuinely don't have the words to express what a masterpiece this novel is. I actually finished this novel early today morning, at around 1:30, but it was only at 2:30-ish that I actually got up to go to sleep. I couldn't get this story out of my head; I simply kept thinking about it. If Juliet Marillier hadn't already made a fan out of me with Heart's Blood, then I'd be tripping over myself to fall at ...more
Samantha
While this is beautifully written, I probably wouldn’t have gotten through this without listening to it on audio during a long car ride. I think, as others have noted, it’s the main characters lack of agency that made the story harder to connect to. Things happen to her, mostly caused by others, she literally has no voice for most of the story and even when she does it’s mostly pushed aside. Realistic for the time it’s set in but not a story I love to engage with. Fans of the Winternight trilogy ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I have always loved the fairy tale about the sister with numerous brothers who had a wicked stepmother who enchanted her brothers to turn them into birds. The number of brothers and the type of birds can vary. I have seen it with ravens and with swans. In Daughter of the Forest, Ms. Marillier used the version in which the heroine has six brothers and they are all turned into swans. I must say I truly enjoyed (and devoured) this heartbreaking, emotionally wrenching novel based on that fairy tale. ...more
Vibur
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Daughter of the Forest.
The bucolic, fairytale-like atmosphere. The rich, impossibly vivid evocations of the twisted, unforgiving Irish wilderness.
And the writing.

Oh, it was so lush. The words unfurling, as delicate as wildflowers. Buds of descriptions swelling and flourishing, spilling richness forth. There was something about the writing that was indescribably alive. Something that thrived and blossomed, rising and bursting forth—like a forest, wild and untamed.
And like a forest, it
Mayim de Vries
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The pages of this book flow like a river of sorrow and anguish, and pain, and loneliness, courage, and hope, and an unyielding love. But the stream is strong so once the current of the Six Swans retelling has caught you, you will be there, held like under a spell and unable to stop. It is not an easy tale but, oh, a beautiful one.

The fairy tale is known, and so I am not spoiling anything by telling you that Daughter of the Forest tells us a story of Sorcha, the youngest child of the Lord of Seve
Emily May
Apr 22, 2011 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales

No Rating

I cannot fairly rate this book so I'm going to leave it as it is. I was originally attracted by the high ratings and positive reviews but I discovered early on that, for whatever reason, this book simply isn't for me. I couldn't appreciate the story enough to read on and that is why I won't insult it by giving the kind of low rating I usually give to abandoned books. In this instance, it was definitely me and not the story or writing.
Vinaya
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vinaya by: Tatiana
How do you know when a book is a great book?
- When the line between reality and fiction begins to blur, so that you could be sitting on a sunny balcony off a busy street, and still feel like you are in the cool, dark confines of the ancient Irish forests. When you are struck with sympathetic muteness because talking means the difference between life and death for the heroine, and it takes an actual, conscious effort to unlock your throat and answer when someone calls out to you. When you sudden
AH
What a breathtakingly beautiful book!

It’s hard to describe Daughter of the Forest. It is a fantasy, a historical, and a romance. It reads like a fable or a fairy tale. It has all the elements of a fairy tale – the evil stepmother, a fairy godmother (sort of), an enchantment, an impossible task to accomplish, a prince charming, and a happily ever after.

This has to be my all time favorite book now. I was captivated by the story, mesmerized by the voice of Sorcha, our heroine. I did not put this b
Hollis
Most people can't choose a favourite book; and rightly so. With so much choice, so much to love, it's akin to picking a favourite child (though we all know those exist.. I see you, parents). But if you asked me? I would say DAUGHTER OF THE FOREST by Juliet Marillier. All of the original Sevenwaters books, actually, as it's really just one long story.

If I were telling this tale, and it were not my own, I would give it a neat, satisfying ending. [..] In such stories, there are no loose ends. There
Kathleen
3.5 stars. Wondrously evocative and lyrical. Enthralling. Suspenseful. Redundant. Too redundant.

This is a popular romantic fairy tale, found in the Young Adult and Juvenile shelves. Yet I question that classification, as there's a graphically adult scene (disturbing) as explained in spoiler further below.

Major spoilers are tagged and hidden:

Daughter of the Forest is an über-extended take on The Six Swans, set in medieval Ireland, when Druidic and Christian cultures first started to overlap.
Amanda
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fabulous start to what I hope is going to be a 5 star series. One of my favorite books so far this year!
Mogsy (MMOGC)
5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/01/30/b...

In the second half of 2014, I read Juliet Marillier for the first time. The book was Dreamer’s Pool and as soon as I closed the cover on the last page, I asked myself the question most readers ask themselves right after they finish an amazing read: Why have I waited so long to read this author? And inevitably, the next thought is: I must read more!

I know I say that a lot and I don’t always follow through, at least not righ
Lindsey Rey
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2015
Trigger Warning: Sexual Assault

It was very difficult for me to give this book a star rating. First off, I want to say that I enjoyed this story a lot and found it very enchanting. I didn't want to put it down and I will be continuing on with the series. I really enjoyed the writing and I thought the cast of characters was very intriguing and really pulled you in to the story. The novel did lull in a couple of places, but that didn't impact my enjoyment of the book. I did listen to the audio book
Angela
Feb 26, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I would not recommend it, especially to young adults. The story was beautifully woven and the writing is very engrossing, but there is graphic description of abuse that did not strengthen the book and was very unnecessary. It pretty much ruined the book for me.
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
A beautiful gripping story but very hard to read.

This fairy tale for grown-ups tells the story of Sorcha, and her 6 elder brothers Finbar, Liam, Cormac, Conor, Padriac and Diarmid.

Born and brought up on the Irish stronghold of Sevenwaters, the siblings grew strong and proud and had a bright future ahead. Up until the evil stepmother came! A wicked sorceress who wed their father, took over his will and stronghold and turned the 6 brothers to swans to have them out of her way. It was left to th
Justine
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing. If I wasn't sure before, this book solidifies Juliet Marillier as one of my very favourite authors.

The story of Sorcha and her trials as she works to free her six brothers from enchantment is painful and gut wrenching. While it doesn't all result in a traditional fairy tale ending, the story does deliver what feels right and more true to our own experiences. No one can live through what Sorcha and her brothers do without being irrevocably changed.

Marillier's writing is perfect as usual
Kaila
RE-READ 2: January 2020

This book honestly speaks to my soul. It is one of, if not my favourite book of all time. Every time I read it, it reminds me of why I love to read. What a great way to start the year!

RE-READ: December 2017

5/5 stars

“You will find the way, daughter of the forest. Through grief and pain, through many trials, through betrayal and loss, your feet will walk a straight path.”

I cannot even begin to explain how much I love this book. It is definitely one of my all time fav
Celise
As often happens, I feel rather inadequate when it comes to reviewing something so beautifully written and emotionally demanding.

This is a retelling of a celtic myth, The Six Swans. A mix of folklore and fantasy, historical fiction and romance, Daughter of the Forest is the first of a trilogy (of 6 books, it seems). This book isn't fantasy in the way of most- it isn't filled with invented kingdoms or massive battles. It follows Sorcha, seventh daughter and only child of Lord Collum, as she suffe
Meridyforgot
Feb 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults
I just want to say that I have very mixed feelings about this book. It is one of my favorite love stories of all time. It is not some mere trite story. It is meaningful and deep.

However be warned, it does have what I have referred to before as "content". There is a part near the beginning where she is abused. Skip it. There is a part at the very end after they are married. There you go. So if you read it, and want to come away unscathed, be careful. Start at the part where Red finds her(maybe s
Phrynne
I am a great lover of fantasy but I am discovering that I prefer my fantasy books to be original and not based on fairy tales. (One notable exception being Cinder and its sequels). Fairy tales are known for their cruelty and hardship and Daughter of the Forest is quite relentless in this respect. It may be that the book was just a bit too long and Sorcha's tedious task seemed to take forever. However I was uncomfortable with several of the scenes and wished they had not occurred. I won't be cont ...more
Isamlq
I went from
Photobucket

There are books that you take little sips from then are those you devour… this a little bit of both. It’s intricately told with a cast of characters each as nuanced as the other that I couldn’t help but get drawn in. That it’s lengthy is of no issue, in fact, I loved that aspect of it. Particularly since it allowed the reveal of who was close to whom and which sibling had what role. But this is mainly about Sorcha though, youngest of the se
Adrienne
Aug 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a gem to read and have on your bookshelf, full of magic and mysticism, love and romance. One the most beautifully crafted books I've read in a long time, the story line is very simple and has been written about in other reviews ,what makes it extra special is the voice of the narrator Sorcha (sor-ca), she tells her story with such a simple yet very emotive voice that can bring the reader to tears in just a few beautifully put together words. Altho this is a hefty book it didn't seem to matt ...more

• Radiance (Wraith Kings, #1)
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
  • Master of Crows (Master of Crows, #1)
  • Summers at Castle Auburn
  • Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1)
  • Poison Study (Study, #1)
  • Mystic and Rider (Twelve Houses, #1)
  • The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral, #1)
  • Lady of Light and Shadows (Tairen Soul, #2)
  • Phoenix Unbound (Fallen Empire, #1)
  • Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels, #1)
  • Green Rider (Green Rider, #1)
  • The Bird and the Sword (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #1)
  • Uprooted
  • The Blue Sword (Damar, #1)
  • Touch of Power (Healer, #1)
  • Entreat Me
  • Eidolon (Wraith Kings, #2)
Juliet Marillier was born in Dunedin, New Zealand and grew up surrounded by Celtic music and stories. Her own Celtic-Gaelic roots inspired her to write her first series, the Sevenwaters Trilogy. Juliet was educated at the University of Otago, where she majored in music and languages, graduating BA and Bachelor of Music (Hons). Her lifelong interest in history, folklore and mythology has had a majo ...more

Sevenwaters (6 books)
  • Son of the Shadows (Sevenwaters, #2)
  • Child of the Prophecy (Sevenwaters, #3)
  • Heir to Sevenwaters (Sevenwaters, #4)
  • Seer of Sevenwaters (Sevenwaters, #5)
  • Flame of Sevenwaters (Sevenwaters, #6)

Articles featuring this book

“He would have told her - he would have said, it matters not if you are here or there, for I see you before me every moment. I see you in the light of the water, in the swaying of the young trees in the spring wind. I see you in the shadows of the great oaks, I hear your voice in the cry of the owl at night. You are the blood in my veins, and the beating of my heart. You are my first waking thought, and my last sigh before sleeping. You are - you are bone of my bone, and breath of my breath.” 578 likes
“Perhaps this is what the stories meant when they called somebody heartsick. Your heart and your stomach and your whole insides felt hollow and empty and aching.” 286 likes