Start by marking “This One Looks Like a Boy: My Gender Journey to Life as a Man” as Want to Read:
This One Looks Like a Boy: My Gender Journey to Life as a Man

This One Looks Like a Boy: My Gender Journey to Life as a Man

Inspiring and honest, this unique memoir of gender transition and coming-of-age proves it’s never too late to find your true identity.

Since he was a small child, Lorimer Shenher knew something for certain: he was a boy. The problem was, he was growing up in a girl’s body.

In this candid and thoughtful memoir, Shenher shares the story of his gender journey, from childhood ge
304 pages
Published March 31st 2019

To ask other readers questions about This One Looks Like a Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This One Looks Like a Boy

Alexis
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
You may note that I very rarely give five stars. This was a five star book for me. I loved it. I really admire all the work that Lorimer is doing. I truly appreciated his first book, "That Lonely Section of Hell", which talked about policing the Pickton case and what went wrong. I continue to admire his work on police reform, and the way he advocates on indigenous issues. I have watched him lift up other voices on Twitter. He's doing good work.

And now I admire his candidness and honesty as he de
John Eldridge
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this book because I was curious about how someone could navigate a gender transition journey while being a member of a police department, the same police department I once belonged to. When I got into the book however I realized what an interesting and enlightening story Lorimer Shenher has written. From being a young girl growing up in Calgary, Alberta to his life as an adult in Vancouver, author Shenher sheds light on the internal drive that made him want to live as a male ra ...more
Lindsay
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Growing up this poor girl had to endure such terrible pain and guilt about her true feelings which were that she was a boy. At one point when she was very young, an elderly relative spouted the words "This one looks like a Boy" and everyone ignored the old lady. This is a fascinating look at gender transition and how difficult it is for someone to finally become the person they always knew they were.

I am so glad that our present day society has some knowledge of transitioning and that informati
Yuu
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honest, heartfelt, interesting, and readable. Well worth a look - especially for those of us living in the prairie provinces. I pretty easily recognized the stifling atmosphere Shenher describes of life as a trans person in Alberta; I'm from the same province, and it's very familiar. People here, if they recognize that trans people exist at all, seem to have a sort of idea that "people from here aren't 'like that'" - so books like this, telling about this kind of journey, are really important. N ...more
Elle Mill
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Lorimer Shenher for sharing his intensely personal struggles and triumphs in this book. I have been tolerant of trans people in the past, but I had a lot of questions that would have been rude or impertinent. His writing helped answer those questions. It certainly helped me understand the internal emotional life of a trans person (to the extent that one person's experiences can be generalized). Congratulations to him on living his life the way that he knew he was meant to.
Andrea
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This memoir by Larimer Sheather is an important book to read since he describes his transition from female to male in a personal revelation that helped me to understand his situation. It was also helpful to read about the challenges he had with his wife, having children, and detailing his assignment as a detective on Vancouver's missing women investigation, then later with the Pickton trial.
Deidre
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great trans memoir right up there with She’s Not There.
Kathy
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fascinating life story including various career movements and an eventual acceptance of gender identity.
Marlene Hessdorfer
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting progression of transgender awareness in Alberta through the years.
Jackie