Start by marking “Novelly Upon a Time (Book Nerds and Boyfriends Collection #3)” as Want to Read:
Novelly Upon a Time (Book Nerds and Boyfriends Collection #3)

Novelly Upon a Time

(Book Nerds and Boyfriends Collection #3)

Author Harper Jones prides herself on the impeccable research she does for her novels, so when early reviews come pouring in claiming her romance reeks of inauthenticity, her editor suggests pulling her nose out of her books and getting some real-life smooching experience. But her plans to do just that are thwarted by her archnemesis from high school who has recently retur ...more
Published December 31st 2018

To ask other readers questions about Novelly Upon a Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Novelly Upon a Time

Start your review of Novelly Upon a Time (Book Nerds and Boyfriends Collection #3)
Hannah
This story is so much fun! How can I resist the romance of a writer and a police officer who have been annoying each other ever since high school? If you need a light, happy little story, look no farther. Today is pouring rain and grey outdoors, and this was the absolute perfect comfort read!

*romantic comedy: it has vibes like the old Katharine Hepburn types of stories with the banter
*biracial couples: American and Japanese-American
Melanie
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a fun read!! I really enjoyed reading this series and can see what all my fellow book blogging friends have been talking about!

I liked how the MC was an author, but I really liked how the romance was kind of a second chance story. It was sweet seeing their relationship grow.

I recommend this book for fans of clean contemporary romance stories.
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
Awww this one was JUST as adorable and amazing as the other two novellas.

I absolutely loved the troupe used in this one. And the culture that was brought in.

4/5 stars!
Nicole
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Novelly Upon a Time (2019) by Sarah Monzon is another home-run novella! This book will come in eBook form, and is roughly 100 pages in length. With a full-time job and a precocious six-year old at home, this book took me one sitting to devour. I received a copy of this novel in eBook form from the author. In no way has this influenced my opinion of the story. All opinions expressed in this review are my own. I give Novelly Upon a Time 5 STARS. This book is a Contemporary Christian Romance.

This n
Beth Erin
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A quirky author and brooding officer?! Yes, please! What's not to love?! Harper's unique research methods are delightfully entertaining, but the way Kyo pushes her buttons had me chuckling my way through each chapter. From aggression to attraction, these two have it all with tension to spare. Monzon takes what could have easily been a romcom fluff piece (nothing wrong with that but this reader likes more) and delivers remarkable depth, sincerity, and heart. I highly recommend this spunky story a ...more
Marylin
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-reviewed
I started this book and before I knew it I had read the whole story. It was so captivating and funny.
For me, there were many parts I could relate to.
One part is Harper’s love for anything literary. Now I’m not a writer, but I love, love, love books and it was so fun to read about the many crazy thing authors do to “research” for their books.

Another really big thing I LOVED in this book, is how Kyo is of Japanese descent. I’ve lived in Japan and am married to a third generation Japanese/American
Susan
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sarah Monzon has written another wonderful romantic comedy novella! Be prepared to have several laugh out loud moments as Harper's carefully placed wall of defense crumbles at the hands of one she has considered an annoying foe from her past. Ms.Monzon masterfully crafts novellas that have a lot of substance underlying what appears to be lighthearted and fun.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book from the author. I was not required to write a review. All opinions expressed are
Austin Ryan
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Novelly Upon a Time is yet another short and delicious novella by the super talented Sarah Monzon 💖
I loved Harper's writerly woes, her personality, her heart, her reckless friendship with Kate, and I loved Kyo, the infuriating, terrifying, and absolutely irresistible hero.

I was surprised at where this novella went. The settings were varied and interesting. The characters colorful and life-like. There were plot twists and real emotional depth, which is rare in short stories.

The only drawbacks we
Toni Shiloh
I love everything about Novelly Upon a Time. The characters. The witty repertoire. The love-hate trope and the wisdom from secondary characters. Sarah Monzon is an expert at packing novellas with enough meat to fulfill your love for reading and humor to entertain you in between tough issues. Add to the fact I reread this novella and you'll realize just how much I loved it.

*I received a complimentary copy from the publisher and will be buying my own copy once it releases.
Becky
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
This novella is too cute! Harper and Kyo have sizzling chemistry, and Harper's thoughts made me snicker on more than one occasion. I loved watching Harper's feelings for Kyo change, and Kyo's grandparents were the cutest!

There's also a depth to this story that I didn't expect that comes from Kyo's grandfather and his time in a World War II internment camp and the choice he made to forgive and love. It's really a beautiful story.

I do wish that Kyo's story had a bit more fleshed out—what happened
Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a sweet, humorous novella filled with heart. The light, funny moments are coupled with some deeply emotional ones that allow both Kate and Kyo to explore their feelings. They not only figure out their feelings for each other, but they both look a bit more deeply into past events that still cause present pain.
Sarah Monzon knows how to pen a great story, I just wish this one was a bit longer so I could have spent more time with the characters. I thoroughly enjoyed my short time with this tale
Kim
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very cute and fun read! Sarah’s books are always enjoyable, while touching on deeper topics, too.
Pascale
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Gosh. Amazing. Such a fabulous story. ALL THE FEELS! I laughed until I snorted. Then I cried. I swooned. I loved it. Sooooo good. I was in a reading slump and had started rereading books in my library until one of my favourite authors wrote this little gem. I was hooked.

-‘“Always remember, baby girl, that the people who love you and the people you love, even if they go away, will never truly leave you. You’ll always carry them around in your heart. And even though it may hurt, that’s a
Melissa Henderson
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sweet, heartwarming story that had me laughing at times and tearing up at times. I enjoyed this story very much. I received a complimentary copy of this story. This is my honest personal opinion. No review was required.
Jaycee Weaver
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How?!

Seriously, I don’t know how she does it, but...every stinking time. Sucked in from the first sentence and dying for more with the last. Kyo is the perfect banter-inducing, infuriating, wonderful hero of hotness. Harper is in denial about her emotional state, but somehow he breaks through and shows her love as he forces her to face it all. And all of these feels in a tiny little novella! Squee!
E
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I expected humor and wonderfully written romance but yet again Monzon has surprised me with an amazingly sweet love story that delves deeper into the meaning of true love, the humor and awkwardness made the story wonderful but the deeper meaning truly made it unforgettable. I don't think I ever quit smiling, well except for tearing up at a few parts. I'm not someone who cries with books and so when books provoke tears from me whether it be tears of laughter or heartbreak from characters past or ...more
Emily
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another sweet story!

I have enjoyed all 3 books in this Book Nerds and Boyfriends collection! Harper Jones' story was another great story by Sarah Monzon that was hard to put down!

The mind of author Harper Jones was interesting and fun. An author writing about experiences she's never had. Researching these things vicariously through her friends and translating them into novels. But maybe, just maybe she'll get to write from her own romantic experience, but she was almost certain that wouldn't h
Martha
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Totally cute story! I really wish the author would write some more chick lit type stories like this that were longer, but this novella series will be alone to have me buy every one this author writes.

Nothing too deep here, but just fun and cute romance.
Melissa
Feb 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Great finale to the Book Nerds novella series. Really enjoyed the character and Sarah’s trademark humor. Fun read!
Caitlin
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this, like really loved this. It's not that long, but it's perfect. If you want a short but satisfying romance, I highly recommend checking this out. ...more
Trisha
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This super fun, light-hearted novella is the perfect story to reach for when you are in need of a fast-paced, chic-lit story to devour in one sitting! With loveable, quirky characters this is sure to delight the senses.

Sarah Monzon is fabulous at crafting stories with substance and multi-layered intrigue and compacting them into nuggets of sheer pleasure and laugh-out-loud fun. You won't want to miss out on this latest story!

(I receive complimentary books for review from publishers, publicists,
Patty Rude
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So cute!

Another adorably cute novella from Sarah Monzon! One of these days I am going to pick up one her full-length novels. Her characters seem totally relatable.
Nicole
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sweet heartwarming novella by Sarah Monzon! Reading about the crazy antics that the heroine Harper and her friend Kate (both authors in this novella) got caught up in all for the sake of “research” to make sure the scenarios for their books were authentic had me wondering what “research” my favorite authors might do in real life and what they might get into! I loved the banter back and forth between Harper and Kyo. The scenes with Kyo’s grandparents were so sweet, and their love for each other ...more
Chanel
A cute novella about Harper, a quirky writer, whose hands-on book research makes her cross paths with her rival Kyo, a handsome police officer. This short & sweet, enemies-to-lovers romance is entertaining, but not without depth. It touches subjects of forgiveness, loss, grief, abandonment and love. The romance itself is very swoony - from bickering to flirty banter, be-still-my-heart declarations and a pretty epic kiss. My one critique is that the secondary plot in the story made the ending see ...more
Raelee Carpenter
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*Sighs*

Another lovely novella from Sarah Monzon. I am sad this series has to end. Excited to see what she comes up with next.
Phyllis
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun novella combining wit and wisdom
My rating is 4.5 stars

Once again, author Sarah Monzon has packed a whole lot of story into a short novella, combining wit and wisdom in a way that simply works.

Harper has carried around pain related to the death of her mother, her father’s leaving, and the loss of a scholarship that would have allowed her to get out of Seattle. Immersing herself into her writing and avoiding relationships has worked well for her up until now. But some things just can’t be re
Nadine Keels
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
When reviewers complain about the inauthentic feel of the romance in Harper Jones's latest novel, Harper's editor suggests that the author go out and get some actual romantic experience. Harper isn't too keen on doing so, especially not with the guy who constantly infuriated her back in high school, Kyo Tanaka, in Novelly Upon a Time by author Sarah Monzon.

Skipping the book blurb beforehand, I jumped right into this novella, enjoying Harper's voice from the get-go.

Now, the enemy phase of enemies
Jessica Johnson
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this final novella in the "Book Nerds and Boyfriends" series, Harper is a novelist who really likes to research before writing her stories in order to make them as authentic as possible. She even goes as far as locking her best friend Kate in her trunk while driving through town to see what it would be like to be a criminal on the run from the cops. Too bad Kate busts out a taillight and alerts the actual cops, causing Harper to be taken into custody by her arch nemesis Kyo Tanaka.
One thing H
LisLovesReading E.Espinoza
Novelly Upon a Time: A Novella, by Sarah Monzon, is the third book in the Book Nerds and Boyfriends Collection. It is a sweet and slightly sassy little book full of wit and charm. Written in the first person point of view, it is truly an engaging story right from the start. The quick pacing, unique plot, and entertaining characters easily grabbed and held my attention page after page.
The humorous scenes within this novella are refreshingly funny and endearing, but this book also contains authen
Andi
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: empty-shelf-2019
Such a fun, quirky, romantic read! Harper is one of those characters that you can't wait to see what she does next. Her method of researching things for her novels, mainly the romance has you giggling.

Ms. Monzon adds a bit of history in this novella adding to the growing tension between Kyo and Harper. Kyo is that guy in school that drives you crazy, the one that you may want to kiss but you definitely want to smack. The fireworks between Kyo and Harper are palatable through the pages.

I found
« previous 1 3 next »

• Wooing Cadie McCaffrey
  • Brunch at Bittersweet Café (Supper Club #2)
  • Now and Then and Always (Maple Valley, #1)
  • The Secrets of Paper and Ink
  • Start With Me
  • Sweet on You (A Bradford Sisters Romance, #3)
  • Finding Ever After: four fairytale-ish novellas
  • Whose Waves These Are
  • Tate (The Montana Marshalls, #2)
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
  • Like a Winter Snow (Port Willis)
  • Jane by the Book
  • Take a Chance on Me (A Misty River Romance #0.5)
  • Stay with Me (A Misty River Romance, #1)
  • Before I Called You Mine
  • Some Bright Someday (Maple Valley #2)
  • The Solid Grounds Coffee Company (The Supper Club, #3)
  • All Made Up
A Carol award finalist and Selah award winner, Sarah Monzon is a stay-at-home mom who makes up imaginary friends to have adult conversations with (otherwise known as writing novels). As a navy chaplain's wife, she resides wherever the military happens to station her family and enjoys exploring the beauty of the world around her.

Book Nerds and Boyfriends Collection (3 books)
  • Bookishly Ever After (Book Nerds and Boyfriends Collection #1)
  • Literarily For Keeps  (Book Nerds and Boyfriends Collection #2)