Start by marking “Out of Darkness: The Story of Louis Braille” as Want to Read:
Out of Darkness: The Story of Louis Braille

Out of Darkness: The Story of Louis Braille

A biography of the modest Frenchman who, after being blinded at the age of three, went on to develop a system of raised dots on paper that enabled blind people to read and write.
Published March 17th 1997 by Clarion Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Out of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of Darkness

K.D. Absolutely
He was a bubbly and curious four-year old boy when an awl (pruning knife) accidentally punctured his left eye. He was playing a pretend game in his father's saddle and harness workshop in Coupvray, France. The eye bled. Since Coupvray was far from the city and his parents were poor, only a woman known to have healing powers was called. She dabbed some lily water on the eye and after few days, the infection spread to the other eye. The year was 1812 and there was no known way to control such an i ...more
Nzachariah7
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Louis braille is the person who invented braille. Want to know more about him? read this book!!!
Laura (Book Scrounger)
This was a quick read, telling the life story of Louis Braille, one of France's greatest heroes, for elementary-age children. I read a similar book when I was younger, but it was nice to hear it again. He was truly an inspiring person.
Alicia Ruggieri
Sometimes, you're curious about a subject or a person and want just enough information to know if it's a topic or person you'd like to delve into learning about more deeply. When that happens for me, I often turn to children's books to start. :-)

This short biography is a great source for learning not just the bare-bones facts of Louis Braille's life, but also the motivations behind why he did what he did. The author provides little examples from his life to illustrate the character of this man,
Jana
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is such a good book about the life of Louis Braille. It is a very quick read. I learned so much about his life that I didn't know before. He was such a remarkable young man and accomplished the most important task for blind people, in such a short time. I was so impressed with him while I read. My son needed to read this book for school and write a report on it, so I decided to read it so that I could help him. I am so glad I did. I am thrilled to know the story of the person that made such ...more
Elsa
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-with-mom
I really liked this book.
Gloria Schamis
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very recent interest in braille sprung up in me only a few days ago when an online friend announced on January 4th that she was celebrating Louis Braille’s 203rd birthday.
It got me thinking about that wonderful system which enables those who cannot ‘see’ to read & write with their eyes to ‘see’ to read & write through their fingers. All of a sudden I felt I HAD TO learn more joining my friend in the celebration of that amazing man.
“Out Of Darkness” is a wonderfully written book that e
Victoria
I read this to my sons because I realized they had no idea about who Louis Braille was, yet they knew about the writing form for the blind and have been to the Seeing Eye in Morristown, NJ. This book gives the full history of the life of Louis Braille in a way that is easy to follow for children and keeps them interested as well. Definitely glad I read it to them! We got through it rather quickly.
Jamey
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book aloud to my kids as part of their curriculum. I was pleased to learn about the life of this well-known figure, and enjoyed how the information was presented. While the writing style is a bit simple, it is thorough and enjoyable to read. I am glad it was in our curriculum, and don’t hesitate to recommend it.
Diane
A biography on Louis Braille recounting his life: from the time of his accident which blinded him, to his days at the Royal Institute for Blind Youth, to his invention of the Braille cell at age 15, to his adulthood as a teacher and mentor.

Easily accessible information for early readers.
Kelsey Shade
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: core-a
A sweet, informative story of Louis Braille. Sometimes a bit slow, but eye-opening (terrible pun) about the lives of the blind in the 1900's. I read this to my first grader, and suspect he was a bit young to be appreciative. Maybe he'll enjoy it more when he's older.
Shannon
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I learned alot about how Braille was started and the intelligent boy that invented it. Louis Braille was a brillant and determined person.
Nicole Julius Henry
An excellent short biography that is easy to understand for children. Louis Braille is an interesting person that I’d like to learn more about from a more in depth biography.
Shanna
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although brief, this synopsis of Braille's life contains interesting details and is very engaging.
Kay Mcaloney
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book about the life of Louis Braille and his invention of the raised dots for the blind.
Erika
Read with 5-yr-old for school and I was surprised at how interested he was. He really enjoyed learning about Braille
Ellen
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So interesting! He spent 3 years developing the system and then it was ready when he was 15. It took years to get it accepted as a standard. Brilliant man!
Angie
Lizzie and I enjoyed learning about Louis Braille. Amazing how young he was when he invented the system of reading for the blind!
Alyson
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, as always! See http://www.eatreadandbemommy.com/2018... for details.
Madi
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good. I was reading it for battle of the books and i didn't think i would like it but if was very good.
Kate Bened
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fine reading for middle elementary school.
Suman Biswas
There is a book called Out of Darkness (The story of Louis Braille) by Russell Freedman. It is about Louis who became blind all the time later, when before he was poked by other sharp materials which is slid away and hit his eye that was bleeding. He became blind later on. Somehow he knew how to do something, but he was admitted to a Blind school, where he learned everything like raised dots to punch and perform as much as he wanted and perform alphabets and by using slate and stylus, but it was ...more
Molly
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew I would get a modicum of an education out of these books that I bought. And this one is a fine example of storytelling and educating at its best.

Louis Braille was born in France in the 1800s. He was actually born sighted. But due to a freak accident and subsequent infection, he lost his sight. He adapted well to his disability, learning to navigate around home and then independently around his village.

Eventually his parents began to worry about the boy's future. Information was brought
Sarah Rourke
I enjoyed reading this book. It was very informative about Louis Braille's life, from childhood on. I especially liked how this book explained how Louis began rediscovering the world around him. This book did a great job describing the many tasks that Louis had to learn again that we don't even think twice about, such as walking.

This book would best be read for independent reading for grades 4th through 6th. This book would especially be beneficial if the students had to do a report on someone.
Comfort
Oct 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Out of the darkness ," by Russell Freedman, is the journey of a boy who finds himself in the dark. lousi Brallie is the boy he had an accident as a boy they tried everything ; but it didnt work. he was known in the town as the boy who cant see then this pierst gave him a chance in this acdamey of the blind . He has developed certain skills at the acamdemy you never was sercerts are kept.

Russell Freedman makes beautiful use of point-of-view. The story is told through limited 3rd person. Russell
Jordan
The theme in this book was change. Louis as a small child had blinded himself in an accident that happened at his fathers shop. It took a couple years to blind him, but he eventually lost his vision permanently. Louis being blind changed the way he learned because he couldn't read or write. Louis also didn't get to play with the other kids because of his vision. It changed his school life, and it changed his social life. Louis is offered to go to a school for the visually impaired, and him chang ...more
Phoebe
Freedman is an expert at nonfiction, though some might quibble with his inclusion of supposed dialogue (really a big no-no in modern children's biography). This 1997 biography of Louis Braille will immediately grab readers' attention through its explanation of how Braille became blind at the age of 4 through a tragic and quite horrible accident. Braille was given the opportunity at the age of 10 to leave his tiny French village to attend the Royal Institute for Blind Youth in Paris. This was the ...more
Amy Johnson
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-420
I love this biography. The narration is straight-forward, and there is nothing overtly beautiful or creative about it, but the story in and of itself is beautiful. As I read, I was struck by how Louis Braille was influenced by so many wonderful people. He came from a supportive family who loved him and cared about his education. He was given a chance by a teacher who had never taught a blind boy before, and he received a scholarship from generous strangers so that he could attend a school that w ...more
Sarah Shufelt
Written in simple but effective prose, Out of Darkness: The Story of Louis Braille manages to inform and inspire at the same time. Russell Freedman tells the story of Louis Braille, the man who is famous for his system for people who are blind to be able to read and write print. The text follows Braille from childhood to his death; it focuses on his years at The Royal Institute for Blind Youth in Paris, France, where he was a student and then an instructor. Kate Kiesler’s black and white illust ...more
Mar 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Freedman, an award-winning author who has written over forty books, traces the fascinating life story of Louis Braille. Braille’s early years as a sighted boy in nineteenth century France are vividly described, as well as his tragic accident at the age of three that led to his blindness. Freedman expertly tells the gripping story of the determined young man who at the young age of fifteen developed a way of reading and communicating with others that surpassed the inferior methods used during tha ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Meet Thomas Jefferson
  • George Washington
  • Of Courage Undaunted: Across the Continent with Lewis & Clark
  • The Trouble Begins at 8: A Life of Mark Twain in the Wild, Wild West
  • Dolphin Treasure (Dolphin Adventure #3)
  • Around the World in a Hundred Years
  • Albert Einstein and the Theory of Relativity
  • Shark Lady: True Adventures of Eugenie Clark
  • Walt Whitman: Words for America
  • Lost Boy: The Story of the Man Who Created Peter Pan
Russell A. Freedman was an American biographer and the author of nearly 50 books for young people. He may be known best for winning the 1988 Newbery Medal with his work Lincoln: A Photobiography.

He grew up in San Francisco and attended the University of California, Berkeley, and then worked as a reporter and editor for the Associated Press and as a publicity writer. His nonfiction books ranged in