Start by marking “The Stand-in” as Want to Read:
The Stand-in

The Stand-in

Ten months ago, my kiss saved him from jail. Now, it's his turn to save me.

But when it's time to go our separate ways, he makes me an offer I can't refuse–an interview with my dream company and ten grand in cash.

All I have to do is pretend to be his girlfriend for the week.

Easy peasy.

It isn't until he takes me home to meet the parents that I realize he left out some MA
Published October 10th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Stand-in, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stand-in

Start your review of The Stand-in
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Stand-in is a romantic comedy. I previously read and liked The Evolution of Ivy by this author. So I was curious to see her take on a rom com.

Earlier this year I read and enjoyed the first 7 chapters of this book as a teaser. So I was anxious to see what happened next.

This book is a romantic comedy. So it is light and funny. But it was also full of some great twists.

The narrator is Tess (26 years old -1st person POV). She meets a guy 10 months before. And then meets him again. He comes up wi
Lauren Campbell
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
5 stars because I almost died writing this 🤣🤣🐳❤️
Amanda Anderson (Beauty.and.the.bookies)
5 star book for a 5 star author

Oh wow. This book was HILARIOUS. Just when I thought it couldn't get funnier, it got funnier. It had EVERYTHING. Humor, family, swoon-worthy moments, I could go on and on. I LOVED IT ALL. This book was worth wait!! This author is one of my most favorites. I cannot get enough of her work. She has a one of a kind mind and I hope one day she will see what we all see. That she is AMAZING.
"If you are fishing for compliments the lake is dry". I am going to start using t
Erica Bumgardner
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
description

Lauren Campbell is fast becoming one of my must-read authors and she absolutely kills it with this adorable rom-com!

Earlier this year I was lucky enough to read the first 7 chapters of this book and it had me hooked from the first paragraph. Since then I have been waiting anxiously for the book's release to find out what happens to Tess and the crazy situation she finds herself in.

I am very happy to report that I enjoyed every page of The Stand-in and was pleasantly surprised with the twists a
A.S
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

The Stand-In is a must read. If you want something that will actually make you laugh, read this.
Even if you don’t usually read rom-coms, (like me) pick this one up.

This book was hilarious.
I didn’t expect to laugh a lot, yet I did so bad!

I honesty expected a light read. Thought I’d smile a little and that would be it, but this book was so much more!
I’d say the first half was just pure laughter and silliness and the second half was way more deep.

The tension I get by reading somethin
Paula Terrado
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: march-2020
Well this was quite a book... i can seriously say this is a book of PLOT TWISTS! So much was happening that i could not afford to put it down! And now, it’s 5am, i just finished this book, i don’t know what to write in the review because i’m in awe, and i’m just about to sleep. LOL

Where to start? Tess is a quirky woman who is also drowning herself in self-pity; comparing herself to her sister who she claims “has-it-all”.

Rhett is actually a nice and caring guy, he respects women and all those nic
Shelby
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun read! I read the teaser to this a while back and fell in love with it instantly. This FULL BOOK VERSION WAS 👏 WORTH 👏 THE 👏 WAIT!! I couldn't put it down. I absolutely love how versatile the author is in her writing style, if you have read her other novels you can appreciate that, if you haven', definitely go read them now! This storyline is witty and refreshing. The banter is hilarious! I feel Tess and her petty ways on a personal level. She kept me at the edge of my seat with needin ...more
LA
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-read-2019
The Stand-In is a WHALE of a good read!

Okay, I just finished reading Lauren Campbell's newest book, The Stand-In. It is a romantic comedy one of my favorite genres, and I have to tell you, this book truly fits the category! Lauren's descriptive writing is so good that the scenes just jump off the page! One example is a pool scene, that has one outrageous thing happening after another, and it works so well. In addition there are parts that are angsty, you wonder if there will be a happy ever aft
Jina
Dec 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Rachael
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lauren Campbell writes amazing, funny banter, and you never know what's going to happen next, or what her characters are going to say. I enjoyed this book and this genre from her.
Kelly Fountain
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To be honest, I’m not even sure where to begin. My mind is BLOWN!! Lauren deviates from her first two books that were more psychological fiction/romance (and were OUTSTANDING!!!) to bring us a rom com…. wasn’t expecting that. I’m a huge lover of romantic comedy, it’s one of my favorite genres. There is just something about watching someone fall in love while laughing my head off. It just leaves me with a smile on my face and ooey-gooey-ness dripping from my pores and honestly, I like feeling tha ...more
Cristie Alleman
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun read! I love a good rom com and The Stand-In by Lauren Campbell will definitely have you laughing it up.. I haven't literally laughed out loud while reading a book in a while.. But wait there's also some lots twist revealed in the story too.. I really hope Lauren Campbell writes more books in this genre.. She's definitely great at it..
Lourdes
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A girl saves a guy from going to jail. Almost a year later, a chance encounter gives him the opportunity to pay her back. Easy, isn't it? Trust me when I say it's not.
Tess is desperate when the guy she helped out so many months ago pops out of nowhere. She needs his help and will have no qualms cashing up in that favor. But when he ups the ante and offers to get her the interview of a lifetime, she'll agree to play his girlfriend for a week.
Unfortunately, Rhett is not the man she thought and whe
Jennifer Hutcheson
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have previously read the author’s first 2 books The Evolution of Ivy series and loved them, so I knew I had to read this one. I absolutely love the fun cover, I’m a sucker for a great book cover 😊 This is not exactly your typical girl meets boy and they start a fake relationship story...there were several surprises and quite a few funny, laugh out loud moments. I really enjoyed this cute, funny romantic comedy!!
Issa
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun book . The thing about any book Lauren writes even in this romcon, there will be twists, and She doesn’t disappoint ! The twists are so fun and when you learn about the whale calling, flamingo blow ups and speedos ... it will have you laughing out loud. It’s a good light fun read . This book will totally suck you in though, I read it almost all in a day and was super pleased with the ending! Total 5 stars you will quickly fall in love with all these characters!
Liz Taylor
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a fan of Lauren Campbell’s devilishly dark “Ivy” Duet (a must read), I was eager to read her newest book. What a surprise to find out it was a Rom-com, and even more surprising to realize it was an outstanding, hilarious Rom-com, with outstanding dialog, memorable characters, and a storyline that keeps the reader thoroughly entertained. I was truly impressed and can’t wait to read what comes next from this talented author.
Jessica Walker
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best Romance Comedy I’ve read in forever! I could not put it down. The amazing writer keeps your attention the entire time! Prepare to laugh out loud and have your husband stare at you in confusion. The details are outstanding, very well written! It played out in my mind as a movie and I didn’t want it to end.
Ginger  Snaps
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a funny witty sarcastic read!

If you are looking for a light and fun then look no further than The Stand-In! I had just finished reading a few dark reads and this book totally had my laughing and surprised by certain events. Love that Lauren took this fake girlfriend story trope and turned it on it’s head with her own crazy spins! A must read for all Rom Com lovers.
Blue
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first few chapters I wasn't really enjoying all that much, but then I don't know what happened, but the book just clicked for me. It was funny [absurdly, OTT, but it just worked], and I very seldom find comedies work for me. I enjoyed the story telling, characters and antics. Thoroughly enjoyed this.
Audrey
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Omg what can I say appart from: I freaking loved it ! I can’t wait to read more? Loved the characters and omg the end of that 7th chapter !!! Probably going to read Lauren Campbell’s other books in the meantime.
Elizabeth
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh! What can I say about this book?! It was a roller coaster of a journey and I loved absolutely every second of it! I couldn’t put it down, I had to know what was going to happen next! Simply fantastic!
Linda Buzard-Moffitt
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very Funny! I loved the banter between Rhett aka Tootie and his Most Horrible Fake Girlfriend Tess. Kept my attention the whole time and I had a hard time putting the book down. This is the 1st book that I have read by this Author and now I definitely want to read her other books.
ReadersLibrary BookBragBlog
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Stand In - Lauren Campbell ❤
This book was so very funny! I haven't laughed that hard in ages. I think you all need to read this as nothing makes a book great like a hard laugh and a great adventure. Dating at it finest! 😉

5 STARS - Great read
Nova B
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This made me LOL and that’s not a easy feat. I’m picky with my rom coms. Was hoping for a better ending but can’t have it all.
Hasnamezied
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A funny enjoyable book.
Danielle
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book had me peeing in my pants laughing. It was so awkward I felt it in my bones, but also hysterical. I related to these characters but I was so glad it wasn’t me! Lauren Campbell’s writing is amazing.
Cathy Pardue
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fun kind of insane

This book is one crazy, fun ride, from start to finish. There are a couple twists you won't see coming. Highly recommend.
Bookwhisperer
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: heartthrob
The Stand-In is about a woman who takes on a task with the man she believes to be the love of her life with the additional benefit of scoring her dream job that he promised. Hitting one bird with two stones, right? Well...not quite.

It's been a looooong time since I fell in love with a book like this. The type of book that makes you grin from ear to ear or squeezes your heart just right. The type of book that makes you clench your phone/book to your chest in awe at what you had just read. The ty
Dina Maio
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Omg! Can. Not. Wait. For the entire book. I read this 3 times because I couldn’t believe it. - I wrote in January.

So, I waited......and boy was it worth the wait. If you know anything about Lauren Campbell, you know she is the queen of plot twists and unique story lines. While this is totally different from her "Ivy" books, it has the same plot twists, that I did not see coming!!! If you are asking yourself "Ivy" who? Stop reading this and go read The Evolution of Ivy 2 books and you will unders
Christine Ray
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book blew away my expectations and is easily one of my top 5 reads for this year. It was absolutely hilarious and I hated when I had to stop reading and put down. It was fast paced and gave me tons of dialogue between the characters which I loved. I hate when books have so much inner dialogue that goes on for pages and pages, so this was a breath of fresh air in that sense. Tons of laugh out loud moments, several twists in the story that I didn’t see coming and a hero that you aren’t sure i ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Shortcake
  • Everything Girl
  • Donut Disturb
  • I Hate You. Marry Me!
  • The Blind Date Diaries
  • Rocket Science
  • Only When It's Us (Bergman Brothers, #1)
  • Worth the Whisk (Donut Disturb, #2)
  • A Billion Times No (Fake It Till You Make It #1)
  • Faking Under the Mistletoe
  • Man Crush Monday (Love For Days, #1)
  • The Sleeping Arrangement
  • Kind of Cursed
  • All Geek to Me (Words for Nerds #1)
  • Faking It with the Frenemy