Start by marking “We Lie With Death (The Reborn Empire, #2)” as Want to Read:
We Lie With Death (The Reborn Empire, #2)

We Lie With Death

(The Reborn Empire #2)

Into Kisia’s conquered north, a Levanti empire is born.

Loyal to the new emperor, Dishiva e’Jaroven must tread the line between building a new life and clinging to the old. Only Gideon can lead them, but when he allies himself with a man returned from the dead it will challenge all she thinks she knows and everything she wants to believe.

Now empress of nothing, Miko is more
Published by Cloudburst Books (first published January 12th 2021)

To ask other readers questions about We Lie With Death, please sign up.
Lindsay Devin Madson
‏ @DevinMadson

Devin Madson
‏ @DevinMadson

UPDATE! A month ago I announced a publication delay for WE LIE WITH DEATH, Bk 2 of The Reborn Empire. I can now inform all my lovely, patient readers that the series has been traditionally acquired! Squeee! I can’t give more details rn but I promise the wait will be worth it!❤️
4:37 PM - 23 Apr 2019 (less)

Start your review of We Lie With Death (The Reborn Empire, #2)
Petrik
ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review

There is no calm after the storm, Devin Madson has crafted a sequel rich with wonderful character developments and illuminating revelations.

It’s been roughly seven months since I finished reading We Ride the Storm. Ever since I finished it, We Lie With Death instantly became one of my most anticipated books of 2019. Considering the unreasonably high expectations I had for this book, I honestly think that it’s truly praise-worthy that Mad
Adam
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Devin Madson’s We Ride the Storm was one of the most welcome surprises of 2018. By now, Madson has firmly established herself as an Aurealis Award-winning epic fantasy mogul, but it wasn’t until WRtS started catching fire among a few fellow bloggers that I decided to give this series a shot. This turned out to be a great decision, as I quickly became lost in a richly detailed world with generations of lore spanning multiple empires. I have been eagerly awaiting the next book in the series and ev ...more
Hamad
We Ride the Storm ★★★★ 1/4
We Lie with Death ★★★ 1/2

I got my copy of this book from Orbit! I am so excited for this one :)
RTC...
Lukasz
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 4.5/5

With a richly immersive setting and complex characters, second book in The Reborn Empire series wraps readers in a dark and gritty tale. As far as dark epic fantasy goes, We Lie with Death checks all the boxes. It presents readers with a world so vivid and featuring complex religious and racial divides, it will satisfy genre’s most discriminate enthusiasts. I don’t count myself as one and yet I felt utterly engrossed in the events.

We Lie with Death expands and deepens the
Jon Adams
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Release day!

Reviews for sequels don't need to be long and drawn out. If you liked the first book, you'll love this one. If you loved the first book chances are you're already planning on reading this one. Do it, as soon as you get the opportunity. Madson knocks it out of the park..again. Well done.

I am very thankful to the author for providing me with an ARC and I can't wait to buy the physical copy to add to my collection.
Queen Terrible Timy
This review was originally posted on Queen's Book Asylum!

Disclaimer: I received an ARC from Orbit in exchange of an honest review.

“What is justice if not an idea?” she said. “What is freedom if not an idea? What is culture if not an idea? If you do not fight for it then someone can take it from you. Can take your way of life. Your freedom. Are those things not worth fighting for?”

Events pick up right where they were left off at the end of We Ride the Storm. Miko is forced to fled and find a
The Coycaterpillar Reads
You know what they say after a storm? It clears the air, but there was no calm after the storm in We Lie with Death. The world building is once again rich and brutal and I was once again delighted to see characters taking their own paths, accepting the hand that fate had dealt them and becoming all the stronger for it. I only very recently finished reading We Ride the Storm and the first thing I did was request the next book in the series on netgalley, thankfully the book gods granted my request ...more
Jordan
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Another fantastic installment!

Find this review at Forever Lost in Literature!

When I read We Ride the Storm last year, I had no idea how much I would end up loving it or that it would become the start of a new trilogy that I would be endlessly anticipating as it continues to be released. We Lie With Death is an intricate, gritty, richly developed, and highly satisfying follow-up that I sincerely enjoyed and cannot recommend enough to others to pick up. The mixture of racial tension, political int
Steve
Jan 26, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This series is showing every sign of being a truly great epic. The first volume, We Ride the Storm, was one of my favourites from last year. This second volume certainly continues in good style.
Edit - I initially thought the series a trilogy but I’m told it’s a quartet so the review is modified to accommodate that!

The four leading characters who featured in #1 continue each with their own chapter headings, plus one new POV, another Levanti captain.

There were times when I was reading this book w
Izzie
May 02, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, epic-fantasy
We Lie with Death was a decent sequel, but after absolutely adoring the first book, We Ride the Storm, and rating it five stars, I admit I was left a little disappointed. For the first half or so of the book, I was just pretty bored. Eventually, the threads started to come together and the book redeemed itself, and so I gave it three stars.

I'm hoping that this was just a case of middle-book syndrome, and so I'm still eagerly awaiting the final instalment of this trilogy later in the year!
Rosalyn Kelly
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Back in December 2018 I read We Ride The Storm, the first book in The Reborn Empire series by Devin Madson and I LOVED it. It was my book of 2018. Fast-forward to December 2019 and I finished the second book, We Lie With Death, and also massively enjoyed it!

This second novel picks up soon after the first one ends. The empire of Kisia has been conquered by the Levanti, and they’re settling in. The new emperor, Gideon, is doing his best to keep his Levanti people together while also attempting to
Queen Terrible Timy
The review was originally posted on RockStarlit BookAsylum!

I've got an ARC from Devin Madson in exchange of an honest review.

“Alive one moment, dead the next, the weight of each individual soul upon the world as fleeting as a daylight sparrow.”

Events pick up right after they were left off at the end of We Ride the Storm. Miko is forced to fled and find allies to get back Kisia's throne with her faithful General on her side. Rah leaves the forming Levanti Empire behind after refusing to bow d
Iryna *Book and Sword*
Feb 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: adult-fantasy
The cover is amazing!

I don't know how I fell out of the loop and missed this book being a thing so soon, but I'm here for it. Well, I'm here for Cassandra, so she better not disappoint! Just a month to wait, I can manage.
Right?

My WEBSITE
My INSTAGRAM
My WORDPRESS BLOG

Juliano Dutra
Jan 13, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 20%. Had some problems with de plot and even prose on the first book, but i liked the how the characters traits when they were initially introduced.
I thought that, after their passivity in the first book, they could make more pragmatic decisions for their actions and goals, but .... Nothing happens and they just whine that no one acts as they think they should.
I believe that good authors can make the books interesting, even when the characters have their means of action restricted, as an
Kristen
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full review is here, on my blog!~

Well, this one picks up pretty much where We Ride the Storm left off. The Kisian Empire is fractured, with the Levanti claiming a good chunk of it, and Miko Ts’ai attempting to claim the other, with pushback.

Rah e’Torin has been exiled from the rest of the Levanti and left pretty much to die, but runs into some trouble which ends up leaving him with an unexpected companion.

Cassandra is stuck with Empress Hana, who has been sold along with her to the Witchdoctor w
Amanda J Spedding
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant next instalment of the Reborn Empire. Stakes are raised, battles rage on personal and empiric fronts, and a new voice has been added to the storytelling who may just turn out to be my favourite.

Madson's prose is beautiful and brutal, the political machinations pulling no punches, but always there are the characters whose tales you can't help but invest in... and that's the true art of storytelling.

The sigils for each of the narrators are incredible pieces of art, and such a unique wa
Kristen
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This and more reviews at superstardrifter.com

This one starts off almost immediately after the events of We Ride the Storm. Miko is on the run, her empire shattered into fragments. Rah is also on the run, after refusing to bow to the Levanti Emperor who conquered part of Kisia. Cassandra has been sold to the Witchdoctor, and finds herself in his custody with Emperess Hana, being experimented on. Cassandra's willing to just go along with it, because the Witchdoctor may be the only person in the wo
Vigasia
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solid continuation that deserves all the stars :)
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Hooooly shoot. What a novel.
Alan Baxter
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic sequel to We Ride The Storm. Intrigue and backstabbing, action and mayhem, all set in a wonderfully realised world with complex, compelling characters. Get on this series, folks, it’s great.
Dianthaa
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Check out more reviews on my blog www.dianthaa.com
I received an ARC through NetGalley and these are my honest thoughts

This was great. I love it when books deal with the aftermath of a great war or similar, and We Lie with Death just dug into that and most of the book was just people messed up by circumstances, and often their own choices, trying to crawl through the mess left at the end of book 1 and come out the other side. This was also kinda true in book one, but it’s more obvious here, that
Tom Smith
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Copied from my Facebook page "Writers, Whiskey and Wagging chins.

I just finished We Lie with Death (sequel to We Ride the Storm)by my friend Devin Madson.
What a fantastic book! It's already in my early favorites for book of the year along with Rob Hayes' Never Die and Richard Nell's Kings of Ash.
All 3 have distinctly asian feels and for a lifelong martial artist like me that grew up watching kung fu theatre on Saturday mornings, I have to say I'm digging it.
I find Devin's book reminiscent of Ta
KitKat The #BookNerd KBbookreviews
Rating: 5 out of 5.
Synopsis: The Kisian Empire has fallen, and a Levanti Empire has taken it’s place. But the Empire is fractured and deadly secrets pulse through its heart. Miko must fight hard to regain her Kingdom, and Rah must choose his path – home or Gideon? Dishiva, having replaced Rah as Gideon’s trusted Captain, must navigate the new Levanti-Kisia Empire, but someone makes her wary, and Cassandra finds herself with the Witchdoctor, but can, and will, he ‘cure’ her?

CW/TW: Death/Gore/Viol
Kayla
Jan 12, 2021 marked it as owned-to-read  ·  review of another edition
HAPPY PUB DAY!!!! Hoping to have a review up for this this week on my channel! Stay tuned :)
Lia (An Ode to Fiction)
3.5 / 5 stars

“Yours will break the scales.”

Trigger Warning : rape, decapitation, gore, death, war

***SPOILER ALERT***

ARC provided by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The storm is still ravaging, there is no end to the war and death, with many jaw dropping revelations and major development in plot, Devin Madson is back with We Lie with Death the continuation of the Reborn Empire series.

Receiving an Advance Readers Copy (ARC) shortly after I finished the first book W
Katie
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2021
4/5 - cliffhangers should be banned wtf
Sasan
May 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good sequel to an already great book, makes me slightly annoyed that I finished this a few months away from August though.

I have my own blog now, so please do give it a visit if you're interested in my other reviews :)

──────────────────

One of the things to be grateful for before the book even begins would be the story so far, and the author's note about the changes in the book given that they moved from self-published to traditionally published. While the second part of the above doesn'
Rowena Andrews
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We Ride the Storm was a ride, and as the blurb says there is no calm after the storm and in this second instalment in The Reborn Empire, we hit the ground running. I do have to take time though to appreciate the recap and character list at the beginning of the book as it had been a while since I’d read the first book, and this is a practice I hope becomes more common.

The worldbuilding in this series is fantastic, and here we see it expand in terms of breadth and depth. Madson had created a vivid
Janelle Garrett
Apr 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first book in this series, We Ride the Storm, was on of my favorite reads in 2019. I eagerly looked forward to this follow-up, and it was everything I wanted it to be.

The story picks up almost immediately after the previous book ended. It follows the POV from the previous characters - Rah, Cassandra, and Miko - and adds a new POV with Dishiva, one of my personal favorite characters from the previous book. I was pleasantly surprised that we got a look into her world, and it expands the story
Lara
Jan 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Miko Miko Miko

We Ride The Storm (Book 1) ended on a slightly formulaic cliff hanger, which annoyed me a little bit especially as I was battling coming to a new series that had a rich backstory I knew nothing about. We Lie with Death ends on a triumphant note that leaves me satisfied but still eager for the final book. As with the first book, this focuses around 3 main characters and tells the story from their POVs.

Miko has only grown fiercer. As the deposed Emperess, she is besieged on all si
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Unbroken (Magic of the Lost, #1)
  • A Fool's Hope (The Last War, #2)
  • Call of the Bone Ships (The Tide Child #2)
  • The Mask of Mirrors (Rook & Rose, #1)
  • We Are the Dead (The Last War, #1)
  • The Black Coast (The God-King Chronicles, #1)
  • Siege of Rage and Ruin (The Wells of Sorcery, #3)
  • The Fall of Koli (Rampart Trilogy #3)
  • The Two-Faced Queen (The Legacy of the Mercenary Kings, #2)
  • Pawn's Gambit
  • The Bone Shard Daughter (The Drowning Empire, #1)
  • Hollow Empire (Poison Wars, #2)
  • The Fires of Vengeance (The Burning, #2)
  • Along the Razor's Edge (The War Eternal, #1)
  • The Stone Knife (The Songs of the Drowned, #1)
  • A Desolation Called Peace (Teixcalaan, #2)
  • The Lessons Never Learned (The War Eternal, #2)
  • The Kingdom of Liars (The Legacy of the Mercenary King, #1)
Devin Madson is an Aurealis Award-winning fantasy author from Australia. After some sucky teenage years, she gave up reality and is now a dual-wielding rogue who works through every tiny side-quest and always ends up too over-powered for the final boss. Anything but zen, Devin subsists on tea and chocolate and so much fried zucchini she ought to have turned into one by now. Her fantasy novels come ...more

The Reborn Empire (3 books)
  • We Ride the Storm (The Reborn Empire #1)
  • We Cry for Blood (The Reborn Empire, #3)

News & Interviews

Secrets between siblings, grandparents with grievances, parents with problems. If you're looking for serious drama, check out these new...