Start by marking “Calling Back the Dead (Northern Michigan Asylum #2)” as Want to Read:
Calling Back the Dead (Northern Michigan Asylum #2)

Calling Back the Dead

(Northern Michigan Asylum #2)

The sprawling Kerry Manor has stood abandoned for nearly a century.

But that hasn’t kept the darkness at bay. Stories about the cursed house trickle out. Violent deaths, strange sightings, and always the chilling sound of a little girl’s song permeates the murky halls.

Today, Kerry Manor is restored to its original grandeur. Corrie and Sammy Flynn, and their daughter Isis,
Published February 25th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Calling Back the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calling Back the Dead

Start your review of Calling Back the Dead (Northern Michigan Asylum #2)
Kari
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Calling Back the Dead is the second book in the Northern Michigan Asylum Series. This can be read as a stand alone novel. The Asylum plays a lesser role in this book, but there is a tie in. I have to say that this one is my favorite between the first two books. This time around, we are treated to a great haunted house story. The story opens with Corrie waking up and finding her husband had been stabbed to death the night before during their Halloween party. The story then waffles between the eve ...more
Saundra Wright
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another chilling episode in the history of the North Michigan Asylum for the Insane. North Michigan Asylum, a place where evil poses as physicians, and patients are fed to the monsters. How far can their evil roam affecting the lives of nearby residents? Start now and find out!

In 1900 a young girl with behavior problems spent some time in the asylum. Ethel walked in a frightened, innocent child. What walked out after treatment was something else entirely. The result was disaster for her family a
Latasha
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
bigcreepy-house.jpg

i really enjoyed this one! Sammy (my dream date) and Corrie rent this big old creepy house for the winter. They are throwing the best Halloween party ever when everything goes all wrong. the story that follows is one of possession and heart ache. I really enjoyed falling down this rabbit hole and learning more and more with each turn of the page. I would read or listen to more from this series and author.
Kelsey Navarro narrated this book. She did a good job, spoke clearly and i had no prob
Felicia
By the time I finished Calling Back the Dead, I was not only considering the validity of paranormal activity, but I was also questioning my own sanity!

Lover of all things macabre and horror-related, Sammy Flynn jumps at the chance to move his family into the century-old Kerry Manor for the winter. The rumors and stories of mysterious singing and violent deaths only heighten Sammy’s excitement.

When Corrie Flynn wakes up in Kerry Manor, the morning after the mega-Halloween bash she and Sammy hoste
Nora Peevy
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Great second book in this entertaining ghost trilogy set in a haunted asylum in Michigan. I love the locale of the midwest, as I grew up here and love the ease of flow of her storytelling. Her ghost story is not a typical haunted house story, but deals more with the condition of the human heart and our ability to love and grieve.
Ken Glisson
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Scary

I couldn't read before bed. It touched me on so many levels. The pain, grief, and love was palpable. Surprises at end of book. I have already bought the rest of books in series. I recommend this book.
Diana in SC
5 stars overall, 5 stars story, 5 stars narration
A spooky and unique paranormal thriller

This audiobook surprised and entertained me with its unpredictable, emotional, scary, and romantic story. Yes, there have been famous novels about a haunted house or possession by an evil spirit or about making the dead return. This book has all of those elements, but it is far from being an awkward hodgepodge. J.R. Erickson has brilliantly written something subtle and extraordinary with realistic details. I
Jessica Bronder
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Kerry Mansion is haunted and has been recently restored to its former splendor. Sammy and Corrie Flynn and their two-year-old daughter are excited to stay in it for the winter season. With stories of a little girls singing and other darker events it is a big draw to Sammy, a huge horror story fan. But there are dark things happening and Corrie has been changing. They decide to throw a huge Halloween party, but things go bad when the next morning Sammy is found dead and it is looking like Cor ...more
Sara ✨ Next Book Review Blog ✨
I really liked this audiobook. I’m not sure if it’s just me but the North Michigan Asylum for the Insane puts instant creeptastic visions in my head. Sammy Flynn is obsessed with all things horror and ghoulish, he’s ecstatic at the opportunity to move his family into the Kerry Manor for the winter… I mean, a century-old asylum… like a century-old asylum with rumors of hauntings. But no, those rumors and stories of violent deaths seem to only increase Sammy’s excitement. I’m not even sure how my ...more
Dawn
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received this audiobook as part of my participation in a blog tour with Audiobookworm Promotions. The tour is being sponsored by J.R. Erickson. The gifting of this audiobook did not affect my opinion of it.

This is the second in the Northern Michigan Asylum Series, but it’s a stand alone novel. There’s no relation between this and the first book in the series except the part that the Northern Michigan Asylum and the evil Brotherhood plays.

When Corrie and Sammy Flynn move into the scary Kerry Ma
Teresa
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Calling Back the Dead is the 2nd book in the Northern Michigan Asylum series by J.R. Erickson. It is the 3rd book in the series I have read. I read book 6 first then book 1 now book 2. This is a stand alone series. They all feature the Northern Michigan Asylum in some way but none of the people are the same nor are the stories. These books all seem to have a past present thing going on. So you will jump around quite a bit in time. The asylum does have a tiny part in this book from the distant pa ...more
Jocelyne
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the Northern Michigan Asylum Series, a chilling and gothic psychological paranormal thriller. This story is a standalone in the Series. Wow! This story is scarier than the first book in the Series! I wasn't prepared for it. The story is set in Kerry Manor, a grievous haunting gothic house. The world building is devilishly fantastic, haunting, intriguing, and captivating. Coorie's story is sorrowful. The supporting characters are intriguing. The ending is unexpectedly t ...more
Patty
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Calling Back the Dead is the perfect fall listen. This stand alone, second book of the Northern Michigan Asylum series captured my attention with this psychological thriller. Meet Corrie and Sammy. They have rented the well-known cursed house, Kerry Manor. Sammy loves horror, authoring a scary comic. Little did he know, this house would be his demise. And what happens next is frightening! From haunting creepy nursery rhymes to having that feeling of being watched, the suspense will keep you on t ...more
Eniko
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
AUDIOBOOK edition

A good example that I would listen to just about anything one of my 'eargasm' voices narrates.
Ms. Navarro did an amazing job pulling me into the story. - 5 stars

Not my usual genre, so I stepped out of my box and tried it. Well written and those who love this genre will enjoy this story that has a mix of horror, suspense, mystery, paranormal. My heart was in my throat the whole time and well after I finished it. I had a bit of hard time at the beginning following the 'now', 'then
Dawn
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Corrie, Sammy and their daughter Isis rented Kerry Mansion thinking they had it all to themselves. But lurking within the walls was another spirit, who likes to be known. This is not a typical haunted house story. This story will take you on an emotional rollercoaster, that you cannot get off of. I could not put this book down. I was hooked from the minute I opened the book. This was my introduction to the Northern Michigan Asylum series and I cannot wait to read more. It is a very haunting tale ...more
Deb Barringer
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Calling Back the Dead is J.R. Erickson's 2nd installment in the Northern Michigan Asylum collection. I enjoyed the first book, but this one is much more organized and the story is more concise. I liked the author's use of "then" and "now" vs. jumping between dates. The story was well-written and fast-paced, filled with ghosts, mystery, memories, murder and even a little side romance. The characters were well-developed and engaging. Corrie's grief was so heartfelt it was almost real. Maybe you ha ...more
Mary Brannian
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Be Careful What You Wish For

Sammy and Corrie jumped at the chance to rent Kerry Manor, a completely restored mansion that had been an empty she'll for years, now whole once again. So what if there were stories about it being haunted, about a mysterious little girl seen, then not... Of previous deaths there. None of that mattered... Or did it? Tragedy strikes, and Corrie finds herself enveloped in overwhelming grief, suspicion, and a slowly encroaching evil insanity....

Shivers danced a tango when
Claudia
Oh, this one was even better than the first! I loved the way in which the story develops, the way in which all characters are deeply motivated by love, the deep sense of tragedy that permeates the whole narration.

There is evil at Kerry Manor. But there is also a lot of love. This is a very haunting story, with really chilling moments and a lot of suspense in it, but it's also strangely beautiful.

I can't wait for the next book in this series!

Kelsey Navarro did a truly excellent work with the narr
Roxanne M.
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Series!!

I thoroughly enjoy this series! Great stories, great characters and really great location!! Being a transplant Michigander in my retirement years I’ve enjoyed Michigan so very much. So much to see and so much to do year long!!
I live in the Big Rapids area, but I enjoy the Cherry Festival every year. This year I’m going to be looking for the old Asylum grounds! I’m so excited!! Thank you for writing about our beautiful state. We always welcome visitors!!
Rose Aitken
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I just couldn’t finish it

This isn’t a bad story despite my headline. i think.a lot of people will like it but for me, it’s just too corny. The whole horror thing is overdone and all that talk about connections and nudges to fate from beyond the grave were just too much. A horror fan dying on Halloween? Oh please. Otherwise yes, I think it will suit a great many readers just not me hence the rating.
Josette Thomas
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Spooky

I really liked this book. The story behind the death of Sammy was not only intriguing but shocking as well. I had no problem believing in spirits, exorcisms, etc., yet I struggle with a real person doing things to prove their point. This is the second book I have read by this author and even though I know this is fiction, I do have to wonder if there is some truth to houses harboring evil.
timj26
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fan of all things horror Sammy moves his family into a gothic mansion with a sinister past
From a cult of doctors experimenting with the paranormal to creepy possessed little girls this is not your typical haunted house story
Well narrated and a good use of some horror staples highly recommended
I received a free review audiobook and voluntarily left this review
Rose
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm going to go with 3 1/2 stars......It was a page turner and I'm looking forward to reading #3.
3/4's of the book was pure page turning what's happening next. Then....it was like my kindle lost
pages and I mean pages......it jumped around with no warning.....so long as you are aware of this do read it.
Julie Rein
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another absolutely thrilling story!

I wondered if all the books in this series were going to be the same old thing, but they're not. Vivid characters and descriptions,wild plot with twists and turns galore! Then add in all the paranormal elements and you dive head first into a thrill ride! This one gives you all the feels plus some creepiness thrown in for good measure!
Debbi Martin
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a ride

I did not want this book to end. I read this book and only a day and a half. While reading I cried, I got mad an fell in love with the characters. It is one of the best books I have ever read. I’m now looking forward to reading the next book in the series but this one will always have a special place in my heart.
Shirley
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! So nice and scary

I loved the entire book. The twists and turns are awesome! I have already ordered the entire set. Will keep reading for sure. Almost like Steven King.
Lynn  2 Girls & A Book
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Calling Back the Dead has all the necessary elements for a haunted thriller. Ghosts, a haunted house, and possession! Toss in a murder mystery and you have the recipe for a fantastic read. With the author's use of multiple POVs and alternating timelines, the reader is getting 3 stories in 1. I love this installment in the Northern Michigan Asylum series. It can be read as a standalone too. There are a few references to book 1, but they are explained and will not be lost on the reader.
Donna
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Tragic Haunting

I loved this story and didn't expect the twist at the end! Definitely a great story of a haunted house and I really do not like those doctors from that asylum whatsoever. So ready to dive into the next book!
Cheri Schaefer
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great ghostly mystery!

Absolutely enjoyed this mystery! Had a great
twist at the end. Surprised by who dunnit!!!
Fantastic story line and wonderful characters.
Loved the ghostly parts. Will be following this
series and author for sure!!
Amanda
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. It was a little creepy and spooky. The mystery kept you guessing. I really enjoyed the back and forth timeline, it kept things intriguing.
Kelsey Navarro did a great job narrating. She was clear and a pleasure to listen to.

• Mary
  • Shepherd's Warning (The Elders Book #1)
  • Billy Whistler
  • Ghost Song
  • The Ghosts of Miller's Crossing
  • Dark Halls
  • Strangers
  • The Room Upstairs
  • The Harvest (The Bell Witch #1)
  • The Haunting of Lannister Hall
  • The Haunting of Beacon Hill (The Beckoning Dead, #1)
  • Ghostland
  • Monster
  • The Ghosts of David Brook
  • The Hungry Ones (The Messy Man #2)
  • A Lullaby In The Dark (Detective Kate Covington #1)
  • The Bloodline
  • The Haunting of the King's Head
I’m JR Erickson, also known as Jacki Riegle in a slightly more tangible reality. I’m the author of the urban fantasy series Born of Shadows, which includes Ula and coming soon Sorciere. Though I love fantasy, I’m not a one-genre kind of girl. My chick lit book Skidmarks on My Heart is in the editing process and I also have some paranormal fiction that I hope to publish in the next several months.

L

Northern Michigan Asylum (4 books)
  • Some Can See (Northern Michigan Asylum #1)
  • Ashes Beneath Her (Northern Michigan Asylum #3)
  • Dead Stream Curse (Northern Michigan Asylum #4)

News & Interviews