Start by marking “A Madness of Sunshine” as Want to Read:
A Madness of Sunshine

A Madness of Sunshine

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,860 ratings  ·  492 reviews
New York Times bestselling author Nalini Singh welcomes you to a remote town on the edge of the world where even the blinding brightness of the sun can’t mask the darkness that lies deep withina killer…

On the rugged West Coast of New Zealand, Golden Cove is more than just a town where people live. The adults are more than neighbors; the children, more than schoolmates.

ebook
Published December 3rd 2019 by Berkley

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of A Madness of Sunshine
Miranda Reads
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
description

"Nothing, there's nothing. It's like she vanished into thin air."
Anahera was born and raised in Golden Cove - seaside coast of New Zealand.

The land is wild, beautiful and savage - and deadly.

When Anahera was a teen, a tragedy occurred - one that haunts the residents to this day.
"They never found the missing hikers, did they?"
Anahera left her hometown - swearing she'll never return.

Only...eight years later she finds herself on the very same shores that the women disappeared from.
She
Sumit RK
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it

That's what she was.
Bright. A thing of life. A thing that could burn

A Madness of Sunshine ships you to a remote town on the edge of the world, where even the blinding brightness of the sun can’t mask the darkness that lies deep within a killer.

On the rugged West Coast of New Zealand, Golden Cove is a closed knit community, living in peace. That is until one fateful summer- a beautiful young woman disappears without a trace, and the residents of Golden Cove wonder if there is
Brenda -Traveling Sister

Madness of Sunshine started off as an easy, engaging read for me with that opening line that pulled me into the story right away. The setting here is vividly written and Nalini Singh really knows how to pull that right into the plot making this a fascinating story because of that.

Things did start to go a little sideways here for me with the characters, though. There are a few of them and many become suspects. The characters then began to feel a bit stereotyped to me and things started
Amy Imogene Reads
Intensely character driven and held in an arrestingly deadly setting, this is a lingering read.

Writing:
Characters:
Pacing:
Villain(s)/Reveal(s): 1/2

Full disclosure: I've been a long-time fan of Nalini Singh. She writes some of the most well-written, beautifully plotted paranormal romances in the game. As in, they're worthy of SFF labels but are tragically only published as mass market paperbacks (I'm a hardcover girl, but I bend my rule for this queen).

So when I heard she was writing a
Corina
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it

I’m getting more and more into thrillers and want to add even more to my 2020 tbr, so when I found out Nalini Singh was writing one, I got really excited about it.

There were quite a few things I loved about this book.
1) The story was set in New Zealand, and the author’s familiarity with this country was obvious and also the part that grabbed me the most. The language, the traditions, the small communities and the difficulties that come with them. Beautifully described in detail, it
Mackey
Have you ever been so caught up with the characters of a book that you miss you once you’ve finished? I have been walking around for a week trying to figure out what I’ve misplaced, who I haven’t contacted, what I’ve left undone, only to realize that what I’m missing are the people and places in A Madness of Sunshine! What a marvelous story and even better characters!

Will is a cop with a past that is dark and tumultuous. Once a rising star in the metro force, he now has been relegated to a very
Michelle
Well consider me a lonely inhabitant of minority opinion world because I'm really bummed about this. The book had a good start, but then it took too long for something to happen and in the meantime there were way too many characters introduced. It was getting difficult for me to keep track of all of them and their importance in the story. I got some ‘The Dry’ vibes, but it didn’t end up being nearly as suspenseful and I had trouble caring about the characters. Also, there was a ton of over ...more
Aisling Zena
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars 6/1/20

Short review for this as I'm hungry, cooking dinner and I have a 6yr that just proclaimed in a dramatic voice and a hand on her forehead that her life is ruined because her dad cried her tears. Yes, you read that right.

description

This was not a thriller really, but it was a decent murder mystery. In my opinion a good murder mystery involves a fascinating setting and several suspects with equal motives and opportunities and you can't help changing your mind at least three times over who did
Toni
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, 2019
This is my first book by this incredibly talented writer, so I had very few, if any, expectations. I was swept away by the beauty of descriptions of the West Coast of New Zealand:

....She stood on a jagged cliff looking out over the crashing sea below as fog wove through the treetops, a light misty rain falling and dissipating before it ever got to her...

Anahera Rawiri returns to her home town of Gloden Cove after eight years of absence, a successful career as a classical pianist and the death of
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I'm a romance genre girl through and through. When I saw that this was Nalini Singh, I knew I needed to give this book a try even though I hesitate at the genre. I'm really glad that I did. From the first chapter this book captured my attention and held. The writing is phenomenal. It doesn't matter what genre this author writes, she knows how to captivate.

I think because I knew going in that this was a thriller, I really focused on everything I learned about all the characters that were
Hannah
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, romance, thriller-ish
I adore everything Nalini Singh does - so much that I read her newest book even though I rarely, if ever, read anything that could be categorized as either thriller or crime. And I am very glad I did. Everything I adore in her writing was present here, especially her wonderful hand with world-building. Obviously world-building in a real world setting is a lot different to world-building in a paranormal setting, but in the end Singh manages to portrait this small town at the end of the world in ...more
Zoe
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Atmospheric, gritty, and suspenseful!

The Madness of Sunshine is a sharp, compelling read that transports you to Golden Cove, New Zealand, a small coastal town where the sudden disappearance of a local young woman with a bright future unearths a lot of strong emotions, tragic memories, and more long-buried secrets and skeletons than anyone could have ever imagined.

The prose is vivid and precise. The characters are tormented, mistrusting, and diligent. And the plot, including all the subplots,
Mara
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-owned
It is so exciting when an author you love in one genre is able to successfully transition to another! This is one of my favorite small town thrillers that I've read- tightly paced, an evocative small town setting in rural NZ, characters that fit within in typical genre conventions with nice little twists, and a satisfying road of twists and turns. I particularly loved the main female lead in this one, and I really appreciated the exploration & validation of female anger. This isn't a book ...more
Navessa
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Full review to come! Thanks so much to Berkley for our ARC of this. What a lush, atmospheric mystery. The wild coast of New Zealand was like a character unto itself.

Blog | FB | Twitter | IG | Pinterest | Tumblr | YouTube
Carol Dass
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, netgalley-read
A stunning story! Nalini has always been one of my favourite authors and this new direction of hers into the genre of mysteries/thrillers is amazing! She is a master of storytelling and this new book is no exception. I love the descriptions which paint a picture and the characters are so vibrant. Anahera is flawed, flawed by the betrayal of her husband which she only discovered after he died. Will is flawed too, by the strength of his emotions in doing the right thing as a cop. The story takes ...more
✨ A ✨
Jun 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
ARC received from Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review
☕️Kimberly
Singh weaved small town politics, interesting characters and small-town characteristics into the seaside town of Golden Cove. Where not much happens, unless you count those missing folks eight years back. They never solved the case(s). Many townsfolk have ideas about it though. Was it a hiking accident, were they swept out to sea or did something more nefarious happen?

Golden Cove is a close-knit community where people have ties to one another. It’s one where the young move away but somehow find
Dianne
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dark and twisted, Nalini Singh’s A MADNESS OF SUNSHINE lays bare the very soul of a small New Zealand coastal town when the nightmares of the past collide with the horrors of the present and no one can feel safe anymore.

Anahera is back years after leaving to follow her heart and her dreams, only to have them turn to dust and ash. Will was once a decorated police officer, but one emotional mistake leads him to the backwater town of Golden Cove where the normally tranquil area is a balm to his
Helen Power
Synopsis
When Anahera’s husband dies, she decides to return home to Golden Cove, a little town in New Zealand where she grew up. But soon after her arrival, a popular young woman goes missing, and it’s up to Anahera and the town’s sole cop to figure out what happened to her. Nothing is as it seems, and this little town has more than its fair share of suspects...

Plot
A Madness of Sunshine is an engaging read from its very first line. While engaging, it is a slower read, and Singh puts an
Shawna
3 stars - Crime/Mystery/Suspense/Thriller

I love Nalini Singh's books, and I was super excited when I heard she was writing a thriller. I had high hopes/expectations for A Madness of Sunshine, but it was too slow for me and honestly just not very "thrilling." The first half of the book really dragged, and I struggled to stick with it. There are a lot of details and descriptions of the Golden Cove, New Zealand setting and so many characters that I found it a bit confusing and distracting. The
♛ Garima ♛

Pretty like sunshine

Trigger:
Physical abuse
Domestic violence
both not detailed but mentioned in passing

Short review:
I have written a good review for this book but guess what, Goodreads lost it and I didn't think of having a copy of that and I am not writing the same review again.
So, a good book, great book, I enjoyed it a lot!

Review in image/gif:

Recommended:

Aftermath: (possible spoilers)
Quirkyreader
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Oh my how to review this one.

It was a non stop thrill ride that went all the way to the end. I wanted to finish this book in one go but sleep won.

This story is set in New Zealand and features a strong Maori woman as the main character. Mostly, it is is a small town mystery. And once secrets turn up no one is safe no matter how long you have known them.

I liked how Singh described the landscape. It made me feel as though I was there experiencing the tension unfolding along with the characters.

Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
ARC received in exchange for an honest review - thank you!

So, as you guys may know, I’m a HUGE fan of Nalini Singh. Her Psy-Changeling books are my ultimate comfort read and probably my favourite adult fantasy series, while her Guild Hunter books are everything that is dark and erotic and awe-inspiring. I haven’t read her contemporary romance series yet, but they’re certainly on my TBR list!

A Madness of Sunshine is her first contemporary suspense novel. While the excellent writing made it
Lisa
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lush, atmospheric, and addictive, THE MADNESS OF SUNSHINE seduces with its beautiful sense of place and layered, compelling characters, then hooks you right in with a riveting noir mystery. When a beautiful girl goes missing and a dark past collides with the brutal present, the truth is as harsh and unforgiving as the landscape in which Nalini Singh's twisting tale is set.
I don't usually read thrillers but Nalini Singh is such a favourite author of mine that she's an auto-buy no matter what genre she decides to write in. I was still a little nervous going into A Madness of Sunshine though because I really had no idea what to expect. It was very different to her other books with a much slower and more character driven plot that concludes in an action packed, edge of your seat finale and I found that I just couldn't put it down.

I really enjoyed getting to explore
Beth
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A decorated officer of the law makes a mistake that has his career derailed, sending him to the middle of now-where New Zealand.

A townie who made it, who now is returning to her routes after realizing life on the outside wasn't what she dreamed of.

A beautiful young woman, Miriama, has gone missing after jogging into the bush. As the detective, Will, searches for clues with the help of Anahera, the returning townie, into Miriama's disappearance. unexpected town secrets bring into question even
Hollis
Nov 07, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: arc, ebook
Gave this 20% and it failed to hook me and all the characters read very flat.

Disappointing as I was looking forward to a good thriller set in New Zealand but oh well.
Elle Rudy
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I had such high hopes for this book, but I feel a little let down. It’s fine, but that’s about it. The setting as described is beautiful, and it was nice to hear Christchurch, New Zealand mentioned in a different context. But I just never clicked with any of the characters, and I ended up really resenting most of them, even if they weren’t meant to be off-putting.

I think I was a little disappointed with the overall tone of the novel, not so much the plot. It’s so reliant on old misogynistic
Barbara
I listened to “A Madness of Sunshine” by Nalini Singh performed by Saskia Maarleveld. It’s a great story and Maarleveld is phenomenal. Her voice range is amazing.

Singh was raised and lives in New Zealand which adds authenticity to her story. Her descriptions of the villagers and landscapes make the story. This is a crime fiction story set in a tiny and remote village. As with all crime mystery stories, it’s the pacing as well as the characters that involve the reader/listener.

A brief synopsis is
♥Rachel♥
3.5 Stars

I love Nalini Singh’s paranormal stories, and so I was excited to experience her writing in a contemporary mystery/romantic suspense novel. I feel like the story had a slow start, but was still engaging and atmospheric from the get-go. The rugged and remote New Zealand setting came to life with Ms. Singh’s beautiful descriptions, giving it an almost haunting quality.

I found the crime and mystery captivating and disturbing when all was revealed, yet I think I would’ve liked more of a

• Reverie
  • The Vanishing (Fogg Lake #1)
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • We Met in December
  • One Night Gone
  • Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts
  • The Aussie Next Door
  • Where Winter Finds You (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #17.5)
  • Coming Home for Christmas (Haven Point, #10)
  • Wicked Hour (Heirs of Chicagoland, #2)
  • Fever (Dark Kings #16)
  • Shelf Awareness (Green Valley Library, #4)
  • Regretting You
  • The Stranger Inside
  • Westering Women
  • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
I've been writing as long as I can remember and all of my stories always held a thread of romance (even when I was writing about a prince who could shoot lasers out of his eyes). I love creating unique characters, love giving them happy endings and I even love the voices in my head. There's no other job I would rather be doing. In September 2002, when I got the call that Silhouette Desire wanted ...more
“The way it had been displayed, the way it had been discarded, that was a thing too many men had done to too many women across time.” 0 likes
“Sunshine.
That’s what she was.
Sunshine.
Bright. A thing of life. A thing that could burn.
And this heart, it beat only for her.
It could murder for her.
For love. For Sunshine.”