Start by marking “Muslim Girls Rise: Inspirational Champions of Our Time” as Want to Read:
Muslim Girls Rise: Inspirational Champions of Our Time

Muslim Girls Rise: Inspirational Champions of Our Time

Little Leaders meets Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls in this gorgeous nonfiction picture book that introduces readers to nineteen powerhouse Muslim women who rose up and made their voices heard.

Long ago, Muslim women rode into battle to defend their dreams. They opened doors to the world’s oldest library. They ruled, started movements, and spread knowledge.

Today, Musli
Published October 29th 2019 by Salaam Reads / Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Muslim Girls Rise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Muslim Girls Rise

Start your review of Muslim Girls Rise: Inspirational Champions of Our Time
Jon Nakapalau
This positive book will inspire with inspirational stories of Muslim girls/women who have stood for what they believed in and become role models for everyone - really beautiful art!
Jessica
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: muslim-reads
People may tell you that you can’t do something because of the way you look, dress, or pray. Your name may sound different. Never forget that you are extraordinary. You are powerful, brave, and clever. Great things come from people like you.
—Saira Mir

This nonfiction picture book from Salaam Reads showcases nineteen contemporary Muslim women who are doing extraordinary things.

These are the women who are featured:
• Amanda Saab is a former cooking competition contestant as well as the founder of th
Gregory Barrington
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love when you read a book, and when complete, you want to know more. Saira Mir presents inspirational snapshots of muslim women who have overcome life obstacles and have created success in all walks of life including science, fashion, and sports. This book serves as a motivational platform for all girls to embrace their future with confidence.
Isabella Kung
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book of strength, persistence, and triumph of Muslim Women making history today. These inspirational stories of empowering women; from scientists to fashion designs, and athletes to political activists; accompanied by the beautiful artwork by Aaliya Jaleel is something all girls should read, boys too!
Candy Wellins
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What does a NASA flight control engineer, a world chmapion squash player, a Marvel comic creator and a US Representative all have in common? They are all Muslim women. This book features the real-life stories of modern day Muslim girls and women who are breaking barriers, challenging stereotypes and leading incredible lives. Filled with familiar and new faces, this book will teach every reader something new and the biographies are short enough for young readers. This book would make a great addi ...more
Christina Soontornvat
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book that highlights the lives of Muslim women who have made historic achievements and who work to make the world a better place. I was familiar with some of the women profiled, but many of these stories were new to me. The book highlights women in many different fields, including the sciences, sports, and political leaders. I know that girls (and boys, too!) will find so many ways to be inspired by these stories. This would be the perfect place for young students to kick off ...more
menna
Jan 21, 2020 added it
Shelves: muslim-rep
I don't know how to rate this but this was fun
Kirsten
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A little backstory: I lived in Dharan, Saudi Arabia for two years growing up, so I have strong feelings about the overwhelmingly negative way the religion of Islam and its people are portrayed in America today. With that in mind, Saira Mir's inspirational and empowering book about modern-day Muslim women heroes is a breath of fresh air. In this book, kids meet Amanda Saab, an outstanding cook, who feeds her neighbors' souls and bellies with her Dinner With Your Muslim Neighbor program.

They meet
NoNieqa Ramos
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book should be in every classroom library collection. The art is vibrant and showcases all the important figures in their element in stunning detail. Important figures include child and adult activists and community-builders, a mathematician, athletes, artists, a Nobel Peace award winner, filmmakers, educators, and more. The thematic definition that opens the book on the first page is powerful. A beautiful and inspiring quote heads each biography. In just a paragraph for each figure, the au ...more
Abi Cushman
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This gorgeous picture book introduces readers to nineteen truly inspirational - and diverse - Muslim women. Hailing from countries all around the world, they have found their calling in a vast range of fields, from social justice to competitive sports to the entertainment industry, and more.

What I love about the book is how well the author, Saira Mir, describes the somewhat complicated situations surrounding some of the women (e.g. Malala Yousafzai) in a way that's easily digestible by kids. An
Elisa Boxer
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This inspirational collection of true stories will make any child (or grownup!) believe in their power to create meaningful change. The prose is clear and motivational. The illustrations are bold and colorful. Especially relevant in today's political climate, this book highlights unsung heroes making extraordinary contributions that connect us, rather than divide us.
Viviane Elbee
This is one of those books that give 1 page summary overviews of a variety of "famous" Muslim women, like Malala. It’s a good, brief introduction to these people. This book takes roughly 20-25 minutes to read in one sitting, or can easily be read over several days.

I would recommend this to elementary students and up because a lot of the topics covered probably won’t make much sense to young toddlers.

This is a great book to share with both non-Muslims and Muslims so children are reminded that i
Hope Lim
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It portrays 19 modern Muslim women around the world, who made history by following their dreams and “refused to give up.”

The author, Saira Mir, captured these remarkable women’s stories in her succinct summaries with deliberate attention to their childhood experiences, which shaped their worldviews and motivated them along the way. Reading what they have accomplished and their favorite quotes is both inspiring and empowering.

I also love how this collection of brave women is perfectly paired wi
Lindsay Metcalf
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated, essential addition to the canon of collected picture-book biographies. #Ownvoices author Saira Mir and illustrator Aaliya Jaleel delve deep, with short biographies on a diverse array of influential Muslim women, from the famous (Malala Yousafzai, Ilhan Omar) to the up-and-coming (MuslimGirl.com founder Amani Al-Khatahtbeh). The book comprises nineteen paragraph-long biographies, one per page spread, plus a rousing introduction and conclusion. With many fields covered—s ...more
Carrie Finison
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My 10 year old is a huge fan of the “Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls” series, so this book will be very appealing to her. What I love about it is that it includes not only girls and women who are known names (like Malala Yousafzai and Ilhan Omar) but also those who are making an impact on a smaller scale that a child reader could relate to and aspire to. Whether in sports, fashion, science, or activism, there are motivational stories here that will appeal to many readers’ interests, and will e ...more
Colleen
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: soaring-20s
You know you’re in for a treat from the very first page of Saira Mir and Aaliya Jaleel’s MUSLIM GIRLS RISE when Mir writes, “Great things come from people like you.” The book goes on to give bite-sized introductions to 19 inspirational Muslim women (all contemporary) who are indeed doing great things. Women with a variety of careers—from fashion and beauty to science and education—are represented. Jaleel manages find the perfect balance between detail and simplicity in her illustrations, which c ...more
Kjersten
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Muslim Girls Rise serves up wonderful bite-sized biographies of inspirational modern-day Muslim women with a diverse range of backgrounds and fields. The author Saira Mir has done a beautiful job making all the women feel close and relatable in such a short amount of space—young readers will feel empowered by these stories. The illustrations are also stunning, I especially love the incorporation of patterns that mirror Islamic decorative arts throughout. I would have loved to have had this book ...more
Rajani LaRocca
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating and empowering book with abour nineteen Muslim women who have shown courage and strength against all kinds of odds. What is particularly wonderful is the diversity of the Muslim women who are presented: they come from different countries, practice their religion differently, and look different from each other. Some of these women are well-known, like Malala and Linda Sarsour; but even those you are not as famous have done some incredible things. I learned a lot, and I know young read ...more
Rob Justus
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this gorgeous, inspirational and motivational nonfiction book, Saira and Aaliya highlight 19 amazing Muslim women and the impact they have had on their communities and the world at large.

At first blush the average joe might think this book is only for young muslim women, but that couldn’t be further from the truth! This book can serve to empower any young developing mind, teaching strength, perseverance, resilience, openness and compassion.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to f
Larissa Marantz
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring and beautifully illustrated book about a group of amazing Muslim women and their achievements. It's a wonderful introduction to readers young and old that the depth of the person behind a hijab is so much more than they may have been willing to see. Informative and enlightening, it is a must read for anyone unfamiliar with the Muslim faith, and an especially important book that will help bridge the gap between intolerance and respect towards a group who has faced much prejudice in o ...more
Mary Copp
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful non-fiction picture book features nineteen courageous Muslim women from a variety of countries and backgrounds who, despite challenges, speak up to create positive change. Each short, concise 'biography' harkens back to the childhood inspirations of each woman and the rich, animated illustrations will engage young readers. Readers are left with a strong connection to these women and empowered to make their own difference in the world. A must-have for library shelves!
Joana Pastro
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! MUSLIN GIRLS RISE is a must read for every Muslim girl, every girl, every boy, everyone!
I’m in awe of the inspirational and empowering story of these nineteen fantastic women who, despite all the adversity, conquered their space in the world.
The bold illustrations and color palette chosen by Aaliyah Jaleel are the perfect complement for each biography. If you enjoyed Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls, you’ll certainly enjoy Muslin Girls Rise! A great addition to any library!
Darshana Khiani
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful introduction to kids of Muslim girls and women who have made important contributions from activism, fashion, science, entertainment and more. An inspirational book for any child: girl, boy, Muslim, non-Muslim to strive for what interests and not let society hold him or her back. An empowering book for today's readers.
Keith Marantz
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
MUSLIM GIRLS RISE is a timely and important book. The extensive compilation of successful Muslim woman will be an effective guidebook for any young girl facing challenges in today’s turbulent times. These stories WILL inspire. It is a wonderful selection that will show any young reader that adversity can be overcome with perseverance, positivity and belief in yourself.
Vicky Fang
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Saira Mir and Aaliya Jaleel do a beautiful job presenting these inspiring stories! Each of the 19 Muslim women featured is presented in a relatable yet motivating way. I especially love how the messages are pulled together in the end, inviting the reader to act upon the inspiration in their own lives. A wonderful book for all kids, with important stories of compelling role models.
Sunday
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
“The experiences of my life have taught me to always dream big and to never give up.” – Hibah Rahmani

“My greatest accomplishment is the ability to love. It’s easy for me to do the work that I do, because I love unconditionally.” – Ilhasah Shabazz

The author Saira Mir has chosen a remarkable group of women from diverse backgrounds and experiences. These are women I want to get to know! Her writing is simple and straightforward. Young readers can finish with a clear idea of each woman’s goal and wh
Stephanie Tournas
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nineteen Muslim women from around the world are profiled in this colorful collective biography. The picture book size gives room for a large, bright two-page spread for each profile, with enough information to pique interest for young readers. Women in the arts, sciences, sports, politics and law are represented with a brief biographical sketch, a quote and a picture of them in action. The digital animation-like illustrations portray the subjects with beauty and energy. Includes a bibliography.

W
Aya Khalil
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love it!!
Sumaya Musse
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m not crying; you’re crying! 😭
Heidi Rikard
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Nice non-fiction picture book about Muslim women who sometimes had to overcome obstacles to fulfill their dreams. Some stories are of women who went through trials, and others are just about women who achieved success. Not sure if it is worth spending the money to buy for my library collection, but would be worth a public library check out.
« previous 1 3 next »