Start by marking “Just Eat It: How intuitive eating can help you get your shit together around food” as Want to Read:

Just Eat It isn’t just a book. It’s part of a movement to give women power and control over our bodies. To free us from restrictive dieting, disordered eating and punishing exercise. To reject the guilt and anxiety associated with eating and, ultimately, to help us feel good about ourselves.

This anti-diet guide from registered nutritionist Laura Thomas PhD can help you s

Kindle Edition
Published December 27th 2018 by Bluebird

Jan 06, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
In the introduction to this book Laura Thomas says (capitals hers) “WE TRUST OUR PHONES MORE THAN WE TRUST OUR BODIES”. This is definitely true for me, I track everything I eat via an app on my phone and worry if I feel hungry when I have eaten the “perfect” amount on any given day.

This book was an eye opener for me and allowed me to think critically about my relationship with food and social media.

The book was not difficult to follow and felt like an honest account- Laura discusses her own iss
Ola
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've been on many diets since I've been a child... Yes, since I've been a child, this sounds so horrible to me right now, that as a child I was encouraged to diet, to lose weight, to restrict my food, because my body was bigger than what my parents were willing to accept. Later on in my life, I was trying diets on my own, following plans found in glossy, 'health' magazines. I attended two different weight loss programs, and it all didn't end up well for me. I gradually developed an eating disord ...more
Sophie Noble
This book has many great qualities. It’s knowledgeable, carefree and comforting. Laura knows her shit! Almost...a little too much? I think this book would have been so much better suited as a glossy, OTTP magazine-esque book with loads of pictures. There’s so much useful information in here that I think could have been better served as a more casual book. While I loved the mental challenge this book gave me, I read books of this style to get from beginning to end, not sit down and journal/not re ...more
Beatriz Esteban
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, psychology
Todas las personas que alguna vez han sufrido por su relación con la comida o con su cuerpo deberían leer esto. Basado en la evidencia, lleno de compasión, y soltándote verdades a través del papel. Gracias por esto ❤ ...more
Hannah
This is the kind of book where you can instantly think of someone you know who needs to read it (even if they don't know it yet). I was already pretty familiar with some of the ideas (body positivity, fatphobia, health at every size) but to some people, they might feel a bit radical at first. That only means they need to read it more!

This book is not a 'quick fix' (and Dr Laura Thomas doesn't claim it is). Ultimately, it can take a long time to unlearn disordered eating and patterns/habits drumm
Emily W
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is life changing, and I don't say that lightly.
Even as someone who feels fairly bodu confident and balanced in life, reading this book did draw my attention to some of the unhealthy attitudes our culture has towards food.

It abolishes the idea that foods are either good or bad and teaches you to be intuitive, trusting your body to tell you what it needs and giving yourself permission to enjoy food.

I cannot recommend this highly enough.
Giuseppe D
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting read. I had never heard of intuitive eating even though it seems logical when you think about it, physiologically our bodies give us signals of hunger and fullness and we shouldn't arbitrarily ignore them. On the other hand, this doesn't talk much about the sort of fat tissue that accumulates around the waist and that is the most dangerous for cardiovascular health. Other than that, I agree with the point that every body is different and worthy of respect and care.
Eva
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-audible
Nothing much is happening here. Author speaks about hunger and that you shouldn't sit on diets but eat when you're hungry. Not really the into I was hoping to get out of book written by PhD ... And yeah, lots of swearing.

Better read "Big fat surprise ", it's far more interesting and life changing. At least for me.
Dawn
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I’m always on a healthy eating kick this was of interest to me to read about intuitive eating instead of emotional binging! It was laid out well but I think the constant swearing may put some people off who want to rethink their goals. Will definitely dip back in and use some of the methods for sure. Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for this arc in exchange for my honest review.
Γεωργία Βασιλείου
This is the first book that I read regarding intuitive eating and I am very happy with it! I believe the author managed to give all the information needed and to introduce the concept from all scopes. The languege was direct and easy to read. It really made feel comfortable exploring subjects that usually give me a lot of anxiety.
Alara
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub, non-fiction
Not keen on the writing style (lots of swearing!) and found it slightly repetitive.
It is, however, an informative book and I imagine useful if you have ever faced problems with diets/weight. I liked the resources section with extra reading and body positivity Instagram accounts.
Ellen McMahon
I had so many epiphanies when reading this. Time to embrace gentle, intuitive eating. Time to question diet culture and society's fetishisation of thinness.
Laura Thomas' approach is reasoned and empathetic.
Helen Clarke
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and meaningful. If you worry about food and deprive yourself, this is a must-read. It’s changed my mindset and made me feel the happiest I’ve felt in a long time about food.
Charlotte
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and talks a lot of sense. Of course eat when you are hungry and stop when full?!? Really well written not preachy at all, really enjoyed it and felt like I learnt something.
Chris
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for explaining IE and loads of fantastic advice one how to ditch the diet!
Charlea
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genuinely life changing - this book is everything I've needed for the past five years.
Laun
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book helped me reflect on how I use the tropes of 'Diet Culture' to criticise myself. I now can see comments and campaigns that capitalise on this. If you want to face your relationship with food and dieting, and shift your way of seeing it - this is the book for you. The author's prose reminds you to be gentle with yourself and take small steps towards self-acceptance so that you can take up space in the world with confidence.
Yvonne
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in January when ‘dry january’ and ‘Veganuary’ were terms constantly bandied about. This book calls ‘bull shit!’ On diet culture and ‘nutri bollocks’. The book verified what I already knew about diets and behaviours around food, but for those who have lost their way or feeling the pressure of January to ‘detox’ (“ juices and cleanses and special supplements can’t ‘detox’ you, your liver and kidneys do that on their own. Every time you poop or pee - that’s a detox.) after Christmas it’ ...more
Anne Ward
  • Sophie Scott Goes South
  • Life's Lottery
  • The Lost Daughter Collective
  • Feast: Food of the Islamic World
  • On Top of the World: Cantor Fitzgerald, Howard Lutnick, and 9/11: A Story of Loss and Renewal
  • Fresh & Fermented: 85 Delicious Ways to Make Fermented Carrots, Kraut, and Kimchi Part of Every Meal
  • The Edible Atlas: Around the World in Thirty-Nine Cuisines
  • Disturbances of the Mind
  • Naturally Nourished
  • Mad Hungry Cravings
  • The Science of Cooking: Every Question Answered to Perfect your Cooking
  • The Life of Mary, Queen of Scots: An Accidental Tragedy
  • Good Old Dog: Expert Advice for Keeping Your Aging Dog Happy, Healthy, and Comfortable
  • Brundibar
There is more than one author with this name