Start by marking “The Viscount and the Vicar's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Viscount and the Vicar's Daughter

The Viscount and the Vicar's Daughter

A WORLD-WEARY RAKE

After years of unbridled debauchery, Tristan Sinclair, Viscount St. Ashton has hit proverbial rock bottom. Seeking to escape his melancholy, he takes refuge at one of Victorian society’s most notorious house parties. As the Christmas season approaches, he prepares to settle in for a month of heavy drinking…until an unexpected encounter changes his plans—a
Published December 2018 by Perfectly Proper Press (first published January 23rd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Viscount and the Vicar's Daughter, please sign up.
Mimi Matthews Great question! There are no sex scenes or graphic language/descriptions, but there is one passionate kiss. Also, the hero and heroine meet at a notor…moreGreat question! There are no sex scenes or graphic language/descriptions, but there is one passionate kiss. Also, the hero and heroine meet at a notorious house party, so there is some vague reference to the illicit behavior of the other guests, as well as to the hero's scandalous past. (less)

Start your review of The Viscount and the Vicar's Daughter
Christina ~ Brunette Reader

A gentle and sweet romance about a prim and proper vicar’s daughter turned companion and a hardened rake on the way of reforming. Despite some rushed developments, due mainly to the novella format, and a trope that has been done innumerable times before, the story managed to feel fresh and convincing all the same thanks to the truly mid-Victorian era evocative characters’ behaviours and smooth writing style.
Sonya Heaney
After enjoying the author’s first Victorian romance so much, I snapped The Viscount and the Vicar’s Daughter up immediately. Mimi Matthews writes “proper” Victorian books, where the characters act era-appropriately, the conversations are entertaining, and there’s a focus on the *romance*.

The relationship in this one moves fast – it has to, as hero and heroine are caught together and forced into an engagement. Now, this is a plot device used a million times over in historical romance, but it is h
Karen
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS

Set me as a seal upon thine heart,
as a seal upon thine arm:
for love is strong as death...
-from Song of Solomon 8:6 King James Bible

Damn but this woman can write! Loved this one too. My only qualm was that it could have been much longer and in depth. And I don't say that often about a book. I found myself wanting more depth in the story. More detail. And much more time together for this couple. And again this was an audiobook, fantastically narrated by Justine Eyre.
Amy ~ Love At 1st Read
I was hooked on Mimi Matthews after reading The Lost Letter. And her newest, The Viscount and the Vicar’s Daughter, has only fed my addiction more. Like her earlier book, this was a wonderful Victorian tale of two people from different worlds. Virtual strangers who fall in love and must overcome misunderstandings and family interference on their path to true love. And most importantly, it’s another beautifully romantic story that will tug at your heart strings.

Years ago, Tristan Sinclair, Vis
MaryannC. Book Freak
This was a nice engaging read, not a bodice ripper but it still has it's rake and self proclaimed womanizer, Tristan Sinclair. The Viscount St. Ashton a handsomely, devilish man used to over indulgence in drinking and women. Having finally burnout from all the excess he comes across Valentine March a prim and proper young Vicar's daughter who is employed as a companion that suddenly turns the viscount's head because she is not the typical, easily seduced young woman he is used to having. But Val ...more
Sammy Loves Books
Sweet novella about a scandalous rake falling for a Vicar's daughter with a scandalous past!

Valentine March

description

Well developed love story packed into a small package. The secondary characters were perfect and the plot progressed well. I really liked the hero and how he kept coming through for his Valentine.

I was surprised to find this novella was squeaky clean... except for a few passionate kisses. The romance felt more realistic without all the hanky-panky you find in some historical romances.
Beth
This is more like a novella than a full length novel, which I didn’t realize. For me, what was there was so good that it needed more. More depth, more plot, just more of everything. I really enjoy this author’s work, so it was a lovely reading experience, but just not quite to the level of the other two books I’ve read.
"Avonna
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Check out all of my reviews at: https://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

THE VISCOUNT AND THE VICAR’S DAUGHTER by Mimi Matthews is the second historical romance I have read and reviewed by this author and it will not be the last. Ms. Matthews sets her romances in Victorian England. They are beautifully written and era appropriate. The plots are character driven with no sex, but swoon worthy romance.

Tristan Sinclair, Viscount St. Ashton is world weary. Years of drinking, gambling and evading the responsi
Frankie (Chicks, Rogues and Scandals)
Let me start by saying what an unbelievably great book, it is rich and emotional and for me definitely what I have now come to expect from Ms Matthews. The Viscount and the Vicars daughter is very different from other historical romances it does go along the lines of marriage of convenience but the difference if that Tristan genuinely does love Valentine very much, and he wants to do what is right by her – after what happened, even with so much going against them not just society and his father ...more
Ronie
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I cannot explain why I thoroughly enjoyed this story, except that perhaps I love the redemption thread with Tristan. I laughed many times throughout this story and I loved the way Valentine upended Tristan's bravado. This definitely rates as one of my top 3 favorite Matthews' books. I think Alex still has my heart, though.
♥Sharon♥
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it

Enjoyed this one!

Mimi Matthews is one of my favorite authors. Her stories flow nicely and her H and h are always lovable. My only complaint is I wish it had been a chapter or two longer! ❤️❤️
Nancy
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
She was a prim vicar's daughter. He was a notorious rake. They were ill-suited by societal standards, but the attraction between them was too strong to ignore.

Valentine's beautiful society mother was pregnant and alone when the vicar married her to save her. Val grew up understanding her mother was a fallen woman, a sinner, and her father endeavored to ensure that Val did not follow her mother's path.

The death of her father brings Val to be the companion of a vain and shallow beauty who forces V
Melissa
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
The dreaded formula strikes again! When authors write many books and have to churn them out over and over sometimes the authors books start to sound exactly the same. Unfortunately this one sounded like the last two I read:{ Not good. It was good enough, it kept my attention but it was irritating to have the same type of characters and the same time of conflict and resolution. So sad. I really liked this author. I am going to give her one more chance. So this story was a good one and I enjoyed t ...more
Jultri
3.5/5. My first book by this author and I'm thoroughly impressed with the quality of her writing, the humorous dialogue and the authenticity of the language and the details of the Victorian setting. Unfortunately the plot didn't completely hold up, perhaps because it's more novella length than full length at 216 pages. The love story is truncated likewise:
Day 1 saw rakish Viscount hero proposing to orphaned, bible-quoting vicar's daughter after a searing kiss compromised them.
Day 2 (at 60 %) we
Tracy DeNeal
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tristan and Valentine

A vicar's orphaned and destitute daughter meets a world weary hardened rake in the abandoned folly of the ramshackle estate of a dissolute lord and lady in the midst of a debauched gathering and guess what? A sweet romance ensues.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Both protagonists shared varying degrees of self doubt throughout this tale. Their vulnerability and willingness to bare their souls in spite of their innate low self esteem was heartening.

Tristan Sinclair is not w
OLT
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm really sorry that I don't like this little romance more than I do. Matthews' first one, THE LOST LETTERS, was a little gem and I was looking forward very much to this one, which has as its hero the older brother of the H of the first book.

The writing is good. I was especially impressed that the author is one of a select few who know the difference between "comprise" and "compose". That was almost enough for me to want to hand out 4 stars to this book. But, unfortunately, as I was reading thi
Lu
Lovely clean story! Adorable titled rakish hero meets a prim lady's companion/ Vicar's Daughter

My second book by this author and she has already become a favorite of mine. The book is a traditional historical romance, with no steamy scenes (a few kisses and caresses) and characters behaving according to the time period (Victorian). The story is engaging and very romantic.

Tristan Sinclair, Viscount St. Ashton has broken with his father and younger brother and dedicated himself to a decade of de
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So Romantic

Once again, I am in love with a book by this author. From the first pages I became curious and invested. I loved the characters and the story line. It was just what I was hoping for. 💙. So romantic!
Content: mild swearing, profanity
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
6 Stars! I absolutely loved this one! *sigh* Everything about this story was wonderful. ❤️❤️❤️
Christina
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Georgette Heyer fans
I loved this story. The prose, the smart dialog, likeable characters, and sweet romance had shades of Georgette Heyer. The delicious tension between the rakish viscount and the paid companion kept me turning pages well into the night. The mystery about the heritage of the vicar’s daughter tugged at my heartstrings—and I found myself in tears when all was revealed. Beautiful! I look forward to Mimi Matthews’ next.
Gwendolyn Gage
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this unlikely romance between a rakish viscount and a vicar’s daughter. It’s more the length of a novella at a little over 200 pages, and while there is occasional language such as "d*mned", "bl**dy", "h*ll", and a few expressions involving “God”, its a clean secular read, and I found it well-written and engaging. Witty in places. The connection between the characters is “love at first sight”, but I was able to overlook this and enjoy the plot and author’s style.
Courtney Clark
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Viscount and the Vicar’s Daughter has the makings of a scandalous-type romance but what is found between its pages is a sweet romance and story of friendship. Tristan and Valentine have an unconventional beginning, but as their identities tie them together and more is revealed about their characters, an intriguing story of romance and second chances unfolds. Mimi’s subtle style of weaving all story elements together shines through in this novel, particularly where Valentine’s surprising hist ...more
Meghan V
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just like with Ms. Roger's previous book, "The Lost Letter", this is a easy to devour Victorian era romance with deeply thought out characters, fantastic dialogue, enough historical details to make the story realistic but not too much to make it frustrating and a completely lovely, tender romantic arc. Our hero is a wearied rake (and while that word can be so over used in this genre, I appreciated the author's interpretation of the term. He spent years really engage in bacchanalian behavior) but ...more
Noe
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

I want first to thanks to the Publisher and the Author for allow me to read this book.
3.5☆ rounder up 4☆

I have to say that I enjoy the book, even when this book wasn't what I was expecting, I think those who like novels with rake characters will enjoy this book better than I. I will recommend this book as well to those who like a clean story, (there's only mentions of the past life of the H (rake) and one passionate kiss with the h). The story were well developed in general and the characters be
Mandy DeOrnellas
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the arc to read in exchange for an honest review.

I completely enjoyed this book. The characters development was well thought out and I loved them. For the first time in ages, I found myself not wanting a book to end. I wanted more. Their budding relationship was endearing.
SallyB
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Meh. The rake was not really a rake. Just someone who used to be. Just liked to drink. The heroine just cried, jittered, blushed, protested, heart thumped, was alarmed at the least little thing for me to really like her. It was still well written. I just didn't care for the predictable MCs very much.
Lady Wesley
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: listened
This book was the author's debut novel a couple of years ago, but I have just gotten around to it after enjoying several of her more recent titles from the Parish Orphans of Devon series. It's a sweet story, and although it has many familiar tropes, she handled them all very well.

The ebook is free on Kindle Unlimited and the audiobook is available from Audible Escape. This one was narrated by Justine Eyre, a competent narrator but not my favorite. Her later books, however, are narrated by the m
Judy Lesley
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is not often I come across a romance novel that delivers a couple of main characters I can easily enjoy. Author Mimi Matthews set her story in1861 England to feature the polar opposites of a jaded rake and a vicar's daughter. That isn't a new situation in romance novels, but it certainly was refreshing to read about a heroine who wasn't afraid to stand up to people who were trying to keep her in the place they thought she should inhabit. This vicar's daughter might be alone in the world after ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Rescuing Lord Inglewood (Inglewood #1)
  • Isabel (Families of Dorset #2)
  • My Forbidden Duchess (The Man of My Dreams #3)
  • The Widow (Silver Linings Mysteries, #1)
  • A Fall from Grace
  • The Jewels of Halstead Manor (Ladies of Devon #1)
  • The Lacemaker (Silver Linings Mysteries #2)
  • The Road Through Rushbury (Seasons of Change, #1)
  • An Unexpected Bride  (Brides of Brighton #5)
  • My Wild Heart (Regency Shakespeare, #2)
  • Reforming Lord Neil (Inglewood #5)
  • Dealing with the Viscount (Improper Wives for Proper Lords series Book 1)
  • Discovering Grace (Inglewood, #2)
  • Romancing the Rake (Brotherhood of the Black Tartan #2)
  • The Painter (Silver Linings Mysteries, #4)
  • The Iron Earl (Valor of Vinehill, #1)
  • The Orphan (Silver Linings Mysteries, #5)
  • Saving Miss Everly (Inglewood, #3)
USA Today bestselling author Mimi Matthews writes both historical nonfiction and award-winning proper Victorian romances. Her novels have received starred reviews from Library Journal, Publishers Weekly, and Kirkus, and her articles have been featured on the Victorian Web, the Journal of Victorian Culture, and in syndication at BUST Magazine. In her other life, Mimi is an attorney. She resides in ...more