Start by marking “Nothing to Lose: Stories” as Want to Read:
Nothing to Lose: Stories

Nothing to Lose: Stories

Drawing on the rich complexity of the American Midwest, Kim Suhr peoples her debut book of fiction with characters that we know, carved out of the Wisconsin landscape and caught between expectation and desire. An Iraq war veteran stalks the streets of Madison. Four drunk friends hunt deer outside of Antigo. A mother tries to save her son. A transplanted New Yorker plots re ...more
Published December 6th 2018 by Cornerstone Press

To ask other readers questions about Nothing to Lose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing to Lose

Start your review of Nothing to Lose: Stories
Karen McQuestion
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As I read this book I found myself wondering: how did the author manage to channel so many different characters and master such varied voices? As a writer myself, I know that this is no small thing. Each story is a little literary gem, thought-provoking and written in a deceptively simple fashion and yet, each one is different from the others. I read the over several days, like savoring an expensive box of chocolates. Well done!
Jennifer Rupp
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kim Suhr’s new collection of short stories is like a drawer full of knives. Each one sharp and designed with a purpose. Some cut so close to the bone they will make the reader wince. Others so richly carved in detail, the bizarre becomes believable. Excruciating, exhilarating platefuls of humanity served with gravy. High Notes: a vet’s compulsion to serve and protect, murderous thoughts over a game of bridge, ambiguous names lead to dating snafu, cross dressing deer hunters, the test of one’s mo ...more
Jeanette Michalets
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kim Suhr is a very talented short story writer and an equally adept writing instructor. I thoroughly enjoyed her first story collection. In these often gritty tales, she captures the heart of Wisconsin and many of its citizens through her use of setting and dialogue. I especially enjoyed the first story, "Night Vision" which ends with the unexpected, as indeed many of her stories do.

In "Night Vision," the protagonist, Brad, a recently returned veteran of the war in Iraq, prowls the streets of hi
Lisa
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pop-fiction
A selection of short stories previously vetted and published in literary magazines. The book is a project of UW-Stevens Point class press. Nicely done. The 16 stories seem to focus on contemporary issues of post traumatic syndrome, military veterans, spousal abuse, guys being guys type of stories. All are classic and complete, some surprising, many humorous or poignant; most on the darker side.
Robert Vaughan
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fabulous mixed-bag collection of stories, masterfully written by Kim Suhr. A primarily midwestern voice, there is such a fresh and unique, wondrous range of characters in this first collection. In real life, Kim owns Red Oak Writing, which is a home for numerous writers in the wonderful city of Milwaukee. I am proud to work for this organization, but even more, to know such a caring, and talented writer, and to share our development through the years.
Kristin Sanden
Wisconsin Alumni
Kim Suhr ’87
Author

From the author:
The short story collection, Nothing to Lose (Cornerstone Press), features familiar Wisconsin characters: veterans, teachers, activists, hunters, parents and their children. Human beings at moment of decision, on the verge of an awakening. The stories touch on infidelity, infertility, insanity and our inability to navigate the technology in our lives.
Bruce Campbell
Apr 04, 2019
Kristin
May 23, 2019

• Long Bright River
  • Miracle at St Andrews (Travis McKinley, #3)
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
  • What Counts as Love
  • The Sorrow Proper
  • Love Poems
  • All We Know of Pleasure: Poetic Erotica by Women
  • Last Sext
  • Circadian
  • Things in Jars
  • The Southern Review (Volume 54:3 Summer 2018)
  • Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (Rats of NIMH, #1)
  • Haunted Wisconsin