Start by marking “The Pieces of You and Me” as Want to Read:
The Pieces of You and Me

The Pieces of You and Me

‘A beautiful story of second-chance love between two perfectly imperfect characters. Rachel writes with such emotional honesty, it leaves me lost for words.’ Sarah Bennett She’d turned her back on love. But fate had other ideas.

A powerful and uplifting second chance love story to make you laugh and cry, perfect for fans of Katie Marsh, Sheila O’Flanagan, and Amanda Prows

Published February 21st 2019 by HQ Digital

To ask other readers questions about The Pieces of You and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pieces of You and Me

DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Gem, I know you’re over the moon about getting married and I’m delighted for you, but it doesn’t mean that you get to matchmake. Even if I am the last one left on the shelf.

We were born twelve hours apart – you at six p.m. and me the following morning – in the same hospital, our mothers recovering in beds next to each other… You were early and I was late, which was the pattern that continued for the rest of our lives. You were always waiting for me to catch up with you.

Too young
Dash fan
4☆ A Compelling and Heart Warming Romance

The Pieces of You and Me is a poignant and compelling read about relationships, starting again, illness, and second chances.

Jess and Rupert were childhood sweethearts and best friends. But as they grew up things happened and they broke up and drifted apart.

Fast forward a good few years and a chance meeting sees them together again after so long apart.
As feelings and emotions resurface can Jess and Rupert put the past behind them and give love a second cha
Berit☀️✨
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arc, blog-tour
A sweet second chance romance that put a smile on my face and a warm feeling in my heart!

I do love a good second chance romance, however nine times out of 10 I get frustrated at the lack of communication that went on in the first relationship that ultimately lead to the need for a second chance romance. This was definitely one of those books, don’t get me wrong I thoroughly enjoyed it I just felt the desire to reach through the pages and shake some people a couple times. Do you ever find yoursel
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
3.5 Stars

There’s no such thing as fate, we are all responsible for our own happiness.
This is a book that is difficult to put down once you have begun reading it. It holds the reader as the plot unfolds. The author has done an excellent job in creating characters that are multidimensional. The fear of having your body unexpectedly betray you and the struggles to overcome resultant difficulties are well delineated. This great story highlights that relationships are really hard, careers require a
Jultri
3.25/5. It was always going to be Rupert and Jess together - until it wasn't. They were childhood friends turned lovers and planning their forever. But tragedy struck and neither were able to cope with the devastation. Instead of drawing closer they grew apart and then the relationship was abruptly severed, torn asunder by grief, by interfering family and their youth and lack of coping skills. A serendipitous meeting a decade later gives them the second chance they both have been waiting for, ex ...more
Fay Keenan
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Jess and Rupert parted company a decade ago after tragedy, and their responses to it, drove them apart. Years later, their paths cross again, but so much has changed for them both in the intervening years, will it really be possible to forge a new relationship?

I fell in love with Rachel Burton’s books from the beginning, and this one is no exception. Told with three contrasting narrative styles, Jess’ first person account, Rupert’s voice in the third person and Jess’ diary from years past, these
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

I enjoy a second chance romance, so I decided to take a chance on this new to me author. Jess and Rupert grew up together--best friends since birth, each other's first love, but ended their engagement just after college 10 years before when Rupert left England for a graduate program at Harvard. The pair reunite at a hen party for Jess' best friend. A lot has happened in the last ten years, including Jess becoming a best selling novelist as well as being seriously ill and diagnosed with chronic f
Jeannie Zelos
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
The Pieces of You and Me, Rachel Burton

Genre: Romance, Women's fiction

Ah Darn, women's fiction again – and why assume men don't want romance :-(

I loved Rachel's The Things We Need To say, and really expected to love this one too. I didn't. though its beautifully written and tackles some tough subjects. As someone who has CFS myself I understood how ill Jess felt at times, and how others simply can't understand that overpowering fatigue.

I loved Jess and Rupert as people, and indeed there were s
Joanne Clark
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such an emotional book, I felt like I could sympathise with Jessie as I suffer from a similar illness. It was emotional but also very charming to read. However I did feel as if it started to drag on a little bit when they wouldn’t communicate and were hiding things from each other. I felt like it was a way to stretch the story on a little bit. I just wanted them to sort it out get married and have a perfect little family just like they wanted. I did love how Rachel managed to describe h ...more
Kate Avery
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the things I love about Rachel Burton’s books is the way she manages to capture my attention from the very start. The style that she has is just so effortless and it was clear that this was a journey that I was going to really enjoy.

The story is told through three perspectives, we get the present day through Jess and Rupert and the past through some of Jess’s diary entries. I enjoyed the dual timeline it meant that you got a better sense of how much the characters meant to each other and
Joan
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
It seems as though Rupert and Jess have always been friends, even in their childhood. They were soul mates and knew each other so well and felt a connection that was all encompassing. As they grew up they were only parted by attending different schools, but as soon as they were back at home again, the resumption of the old friendship seemed the most natural thing in the world. It was cherished and it blossomed into a teenage romance.
Then suddenly it was all over; they weren’t a couple any more.
Karen Cole
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
When Jess bumps onto her ex, Rupert at her best friend's hen party, it's immediately obvious that there is unfinished business between the couple. It's also very clear that their feelings for one another never really went away. With most of their family and friends keen to see the pair reunited, this looks like a second chance for love. They both still need to face up to the events which led to them breaking up in the first place and be honest with themselves and each other about how the interve ...more
Mary Baker
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rupert and Jess were meant to be together – they’ve known that since the day they were born, side by side in the same hospital ward. But when life insists on breaking you, piece by piece, is love really enough to conquer all?

Ten years after life derailed their relationship, a chance meeting at a mutual friend’s wedding brings these childhood friends together again. After a decade regretting how they broke up, it seems that fate has granted them a second chance. But the past doesn’t always let go
Lucy Mitchell
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

I have spent the entire day reading this. Could not put it down. This is a book which will take you on an emotional journey. I feel like I have experienced something which is always a sign of a good book.

This story of Jess and Rupert has unearthed loads of teenage romance memories for me. I related to their early relationship so much, practicing kissing with a boyfriend, dealing with interfering parents who have other plans for your futures, the jealous feelings you have when around others
Natalie Victoria
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been a fan of Rachel Burton’s work since reading her debut novel, The Many Colours of Us in 2017. Rachel writes seamless contemporary novels with rather wistful undertones. I’m a huge fan of ‘the one that got away’ trope and The Pieces of You and Me is about two wonderful characters who have a second-chance at love. Of course, there’s turbulence along the way, as both characters have pasts to address and, refreshingly, the heroine is struggling on a day-to-day basis with chronic illness whi ...more
FNM
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to the author and Rachel’s Random Resources for providing me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Now who doesn’t love a second change at love sort of book and Jess and Rupert definitely take us on an emotional journey! Not only was this a great contemporary read it also gave so much more depth with having to deal with a chronic illness. This was a good book to get engrossed with on a Saturday afternoon, though at points it did seem a little slow with everything going on b
Lynn
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of Jess and Rupert. They were childhood friends who became a couple early on in their teens. Along the way, situations occurred which broke them apart. Did they ever get past the hurt? Could they put their past in the past and move on with their lives? Now a decade later, fate has brought these two friends back together again. Can they go back to being friends? Can they trust each other enough to let the truth come out? Can they go back to being “that” couple again?

This story
Rach
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully crafted love story that is well-grounded in the real world. It's not all fairytales and billionaire businessmen. This is the real deal. Love can be hard. It's not enough just to fall in love, you have to work at it to stay together. You have to take what life throws at you, join forces and become stronger in the face of it.

There are some fabulous secondary characters too, doses of nostalgia and splashes of humour which really make you smile - a pepper pot anyone?! And the way Rach
Kay M
Mar 28, 2019 added it
Jess is attending her friend Gemma's hen night when she bumps into a face from her past. One she has not seen for ten years and who was once her first love.
Rupert was not surprised to bump into Jess after all these years as he has been in touch with Gemma over the years and is not surprised to see Jess there. What does surprise him is the feelings that all coming rushing back to him since he last saw Jess and he is keen to get to know her again and be part of her life again too.
Jess and Rupert
Laurie Ellingham
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once again Rachel Burton has blown me away with a poignant romance entwined in the battles of the real world.

The Pieces of You and Me is an enthralling love story that asks the question - can true love stand not just the test of time but the challenges we face along the way? Jess and Rupert are both fabulous and flawed and their story feels as real to me as the people I see every day.

A down to earth and wonderfully uplifting story of love and second chances.

Cheryl M-M
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
You know what they say, sometimes it's the right person, but at the wrong time. I think that is what the relationship between Jess and Rupert is like. Sometimes life intervenes and throws obstacles in our path, which is how the two of them are drawn apart in the first place.

Rupert is very insecure and jealous, perhaps because he has already lost so much time with Jess. His reaction to Dan is over the top and almost controlling. In fact I found it hard to find Rupert sympathetic at times.

Chronic
Lusie
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is a book about love and second chances. Thebook was okay, but lacked chemistry. We were told they were in love, but I didn't really feel it. The reason Jess and Rupert stayed away from each other so long felt weak. It shouldn't have taken them so long. The story felt a bit repetitive, since they were discussing the same problems over and over again.
Joanne Clark
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Drew Irons
Shelves: read-2018
Absolutely loved this story! I think this might be Rachel's best one yet! I loved the characters, the setting and I felt like the subject matter was tackled very sensitively. But what else would you expect from Rachel. Can't wait for the next one!
Pernille Hughes
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this on holiday after some trying weeks and it was the perfect comfort read. It's achingly beautiful and tender. Rachel sublimely blends heartbreak and happiness in the pursuit of discovering ‘what if..?’ Simply gorgeous.
Victoria Cooke
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once again Rachel Burton writes a beautifully moving, poignant and wistful romance.
Adele
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
The Pieces of You and Me is Rachel Burton's third novel and although I've only read two of her books (including this one) I feel like this author's novels and her style of writing are going straight to my 'Favourite Author' list. The Pieces of You and Me was so effortlessly written with the words and the story flowing beautifully taking you on an emotive journey with Jess and Rupert.
Jess and Rupert were always destined to be together as they were born hours apart and lived close-by each other. G
Kerry https://likeherdingcatsblog.wordpress.com Robinson
Have you ever had one of those loves that you just cannot shake off no matter how hard you try?  Jess and Rupert have!  Childhood friends, teenage sweethearts and adult lovers, Jess and Rupert say goodbye.  In the ten years they are apart, neither manages to get over the other and a fluke meeting in York ten years later brings them together again. But, they are no longer the same people and each one has their own secrets and heartaches to bring into the relationship.

Has too much time passed or
Lynn (Ellesea Loves Reading)
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

As a reader, it is always a thrill to find a new author and novel which resonates with you. Pieces of You And Me is such a book and tells a story which will stay with me for a long while.

Ten years after watching Rupert walk away for a new life in the US, Jess never expected to see him again. That's until they are both in the same pub in York. Much has changed in her life since then but is she strong enough to cope with seeing him again?

Rupert never forgot Jessie, the only woman he's e
Tasha and Megan Mahoney
First of all, I must comment on how stunning I find the cover. It is the front door to a book and despite every warning, people do judge a book by its cover.

Jess and Rupert were best friends and childhood sweethearts. As they got older life pulled them apart. Due to friends getting married they meet up again a decade older and wiser.

There was angst and pain aplenty but despite it all there was love. I thoroughly enjoyed this sweet second chance romance, There are some great other characters too
« previous 1 3 next »
Rachel Burton is the bestselling author of The Many Colours of Us. Her new book The Pieces of You and Me is out now.

Rachel has worked as a waitress, a paralegal and a yoga teacher and has never really known what to do when she grows up. She has spent most of her life between Cambridge and London but now lives in Yorkshire with her husband and their three cats. The main loves of her life are The Be