Start by marking “Dispatch” as Want to Read:
Dispatch

Dispatch

Jason Handford has a real gift for writing letters that get results-from complaints to love letters to editorials. Then he's offered a job to do it for a living. It consumes his time, his mind, and eventually, his soul. Jason really should have stuck with freelance.
Mass Market Paperback, 386 pages
Published October 4th 2005 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Dispatch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dispatch

Adam Light
Dispatch started off as a coming of age story, as only Bentley Little could possibly pen one. I enjoyed the first half much more than the second, but still found the last half quite engaging. I would have marked this one as one of my top five Little books, but it seemed to me that the second half of it was sort of a rehash of several other of his novels that I liked better. I will say that it could be the fact that I have read five or six of Little's books in the last several months that might c ...more
Chris
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Chris
IP Address: 69.420.666.007
The Internet

Dear Goodreads,

Whasssup Dirty Dawgs! It’s been a while since I’ve been around, and I just wanted to say yo. Not much going on over here, I’ve just been reading and shit, you know the drill. So, since I’ve got nothing else to rap about, I might as well tell you about the last book that I read, seeing as that might pique your interest, you know, since you’re on goodreads and all…

I wish I had something positive to say about Dispatch, the first novel-lengt
Peter
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
very up to date satire on paid comments industry... devoured that book, great modern horror with a great ending!
Alexandria
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this book! Although, I don't think that the main character got his "just desserts." Then again, maybe he did..............
Adam
Apr 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Kellybrianna
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found this book to be very fast paced and easy to get into. This is probably the fastest I've read one of Little's books (except maybe Dominion which is one of my favs)and it only took me about 3-4 days to read it b/c I wanted to know what was going to happen. Like most of Little's books he takes something as everyday as writing letters and turns it into the plot of a sinister, weird tale. Jason is a Letter Writer (yes with capitals) who with the power of his letters get free food, entertainme ...more
William M.
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
In the style of Bentley Little's earlier work, THE IGNORED, this refreshingly original novel is not really a work of horror as much as a creepy and ingeniously crafted supernatural tale. If you buy into the premise, you'll have a great time. Bentley's main character is fantastically real -- flaws and all. The story is clever, bizarre, and mysterious. This is definitely a contender for this year's Bram Stoker award. DISPATCH has all the ingredients of a great novel. If you want something a little ...more
Pvillehol
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This guy is great at can't-look-away horror! He's sick, twisted and facinating! Dispatch is a good read, keeps you interested, and actually pretty mild for Little.
Geoffrey Kleinman
Apr 08, 2007 rated it liked it
Bentley Little constantly delivers solid horror. Sure his books often spin out of control into wild carnage, but the journey there is always a ton of fun.
An Redman
Apr 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Elusive
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
‘Dispatch’ weaves an engaging story about Jason Handford who has a special gift whereby he can achieve results by writing letters. Soon, he becomes obsessed with writing letters or rather, he feels like he has no control over his desire to write and in the process, he realizes there’s a bigger force out there and what lies ahead is dark and unknown.

First of all, I was very interested in the storyline and I’m glad it didn’t disappoint (for the most part). It’s great that Little kicks off the stor
Alexandra
Nov 27, 2011 rated it liked it
I love reading a Bentley Little book that I haven't read before. It's just so exciting to open it up and know that you are going on a really fucked up journey into the dark recesses of his mind and have no idea what you're in for. Love.It.

Dispatch started out really good. Then it kind of got a little boring. It picked up again after awhile. Then got really good. And then it was meh. And usually that would be enough for me to give a book a not so nice review but with most Bentley Little books, a
Daniel
Feb 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
A book that would've worked twice as well if it had been half the size, Bentley Little's "Dispatch" gives us a glimpse into the weird world of Jason Hanford, a man who discovers at an early age that he has an affinity and talent for writing letters. He writes them in staggering quantities, and the results they get are equally staggering. It's almost as if they possess a certain indescribable power -- governmental policies change, people die, lives are altered. Perhaps its just a gift ...

It's an
Sam
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
It was great book. I really enjoyed it all the way though. The ending really disappointed me though, I really wanted it to end differently then it did but that doesn't effect the rating I gave it, I was just upset by the way it ended. (view spoiler) ...more
Debra
Stephen King recommended author and book. He says: "BEST OUTRIGHT HORROR NOVELIST. Bentley Little, in a walk. Don't know Bentley Little? You're not alone. He's probably the genre's best-kept secret, but at least 10 of his novels are available in paperback; you can pick up three for the price of that flashy new hardcover you've got your eye on. The best thing about Little is that he can go from zero to surreal in 6.0 seconds. My favorites are The Store (think Wal-Mart run by SAYYY-tan) and Dispat ...more
Carl
May 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
I found this to be a very slow paced book. Although I must say now that it develops into an excellent finale. After 200 pages of a 386 page novel, I was still waiting for something to grip me. Maybe I have stuffed myself on gore too much recently in books but this was different to all the other horror books I've read. Seriously, at one point, approx 150 pages in, I was going to drop the book altogether. I'm glad I didnt because there was an excellent message in the book which I encourage you to ...more
Norman Parker
Mar 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I appreciate this Bentley Little book every bit as much as Stephen King. This is my first taste of his work and I will read more from him.

I enjoyed the main character's development. Starting out in youth, laying the foundation of madness, to the last reaches of adult insanity, he reminds me of our tenuous hold on our own justifications, our excuses for our behavior.
Libby
Oct 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good. It reads like a well written memoir of a Letter Writer until it gets...odd. At turns funny and scary with a protagonist that you can both identify with and are horrified by. This makes me want to search out more by the same author.
Jared Roberts
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I'd heard a great deal about Bentley Little's ability to craft creepy, mysterious narratives. So I thought I'd start with this one. I was disappointed, but I'd give him a second chance.

The story is about a guy who discovers he can get what he wants when he uses his letter-writing talents to coerce people. Freebies from companies, political results, and, when he realizes he has power over people, firings, humiliations, etc.. It's a blessing and a curse. He gains and he loses. After hitting rock b
Bob
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Creepy take on the art of letter writing with a supernatural twist. Jason begins his letter writing in fifth grade, during a pen pal assignment and learns to manipulate situations that gain him and his friends free fast foods and movie tickets. This quickly warps into affecting the lives of others and eventually current world events. A bit slow in parts, but overall a fantastic read. Highly recommended.
Kay Oliver
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hook, line and sinker, I was eating this book up like a fat kid in a cake shop. It was a slow burn and nothing really happened until the midpoint of the novel and yet I could not put the book down. Once the action starts there was no letting up or break to catch my breath and it was so Bentley Little, the absolute bizarre and nightmarish. I also loved the Easter eggs. Jason was a great character. I loved to hate him. Excellent writing as always.
Caro
This was my first Bentley Little novel. He's a "big name" in horror, so I felt I should give him a read. My verdict- I won't be searching him out at the library, let alone the bookstore, anytime soon.

Which isn't to say I hated this book, or his writing. The prose is clean and the story moves along. Little is obviously a skilled craftsman who knows how to churn out 300-400 pages that will sell enough copies to keep his name in print.

But...for me, there's just something lacking. Like eating empt
Rowan MacBean
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is probably the least scary Bentley Little book I’ve read (and I’ve read a lot of them) but I think it might be one of my top three. I find this especially impressive because for almost the entire book I sort of really hated the character telling the story.
Julie
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars; my 2nd favorite Bentley Little book so far, after "The Store". "Dispatch" offers more food for thought; you will never look at letter writing or mailboxes the same way again!
Gina
Dec 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Horrible book, not a thriller or horror plot. Just lots of boredom.
David
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I feel like writing a letter
Bob
Jan 09, 2009 rated it liked it
I found Bentley Little's, Dispatch, to be well written and entertaining. However, the first half of the book seemed a bit slow to me. In fact, I put the book down several times - because of the slow tempo and some problems I had with Jason Hanford, the hero of the story - only to come back and try it again later. To Little's credit, the book does pick up in the second half and really gets revved up for the last quarter, redeeming both the storyline and the protagonist.

Let me explain my comments
Gina
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
From an early age Jason is aware his letters get results - free food, movie passes, amusement part admission, etc. As he ages, he expands his abilities into politics, both nationally and internationally, and relationships. I agree with other reviewers that this book starts and builds slow, very slow, but that is the part I liked best. I enjoyed the slow discovery of ability, the moral questions posed as he uses his ability for some pretty bad things, and the parallels drawn between letter writin ...more
Kim Smiley
May 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Not my usual read, but after trying Bentley Little out reading "The Ignored," I gave this book a shot. I found it to be a bit strange and not typically my kind of horror. I actually do a lot of letter writing so this book appealed to me.

In a nutshell, the book is centered around Jason, who from 5th grade on, loved to write letters. It started out with a penpal in Japan to him writing letters of complaint to local burger joints, movie theatres and theme parks. He would always get a response from
Tom
Aug 18, 2008 rated it liked it
I read this as a result of Stephen King's recommendation in Entertainment Weekly. I can see why King liked it. The protagonist is a writer and, without giving too much of the plot away, finds that his writing has power... specifically, his writing of letters has power. King had a similar plot all the way through his "Dark Tower" series.

Two major problems I had with this book:

First, the ultimate bad guy turns out to be something too close to Stephen King's "IT" (another reason why King liked th
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Back in action here ... Reading Little's DISPATCH 2 12 Aug 27, 2013 12:14PM

• Body Rides
  • The Long Last Call
  • Lot Lizards
  • Monstrosity
  • Midnight's Lair
  • Death's Dominion
Bentley Little is an American author of numerous horror novels. He was discovered by Dean Koontz.

Little was born one month after his mother attended the world premiere of Psycho. He published his first novel, The Revelation, with St. Martin's Press in 1990. After reading it, Stephen King became a vocal fan of Little's work, and Little won the Bram Stoker Award for "Best First Novel" in 1990. He mo