Start by marking “Once a Spy (Rogues Redeemed, #4)” as Want to Read:
Once a Spy (Rogues Redeemed, #4)

Once a Spy

(Rogues Redeemed #4)

Renowned for her unique blend of adventure, wit and sweeping romance, New York Times bestselling author Mary Jo Putney matches a dashing spy with a woman whose past will bear no scrutiny in Napoleonic era London.

Love and survival in the shadow of Waterloo...

Wearied by his years as a British intelligence officer, Simon Duval resigns his commission after Napoleon’s abdicatio
Expected publication: September 24th 2019 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about Once a Spy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once a Spy

Kate McMurry
Terrific, slow-burn, Regency romance!

After many long, hazardous years as a British spy, 29-year-old Simon Duval is thoroughly burned out. Half-French and half-English, and an inheritor of great wealth on his English side, rather than joining the French Royalist army to fight Napoleon, he believed he could do more good for the cause of liberating France—and Europe—from Napoleon by serving in the British Army. After Napoleon’s abdication in 1814, Simon is finally free to resign his commission and
Amelia
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While many storylines with a Regency setting are centered on attending balls and staying respectable, the fourth book in the Rogues Redeemed series is focused on relationship challenges and political turmoil. Although a man and woman are not looking to marry, circumstances would make their union advantageous. But there are personal issues that could keep the couple from ever being truly close. With the French not willing to give up fighting surrounding countries, the lives of these two individua ...more
Margaret
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set at a crucial moment in history, Colonel Simon Duval, both English and French, must once again become a spy when rumors surface of Napoleon escaping from Elba. His French wife, the widow of his murdered French second cousin, becomes his partner to ferret out information for Wellington. Suzanne Duval carries terrible memories of her past. As she works through her many demons, she only grows stronger because of Simon's patience, respect and love. With many interesting secondary characters and t ...more
Lindsey
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great addition to this series. I love when the main characters in a book are sympathetic and strong without going overboard and unrealistic, and that's exactly what we have here. Suzanne and Simon both been through less the idealistic situations but it doesn't overwhelm them. I thought the plot line was great and everything just flowed well with some well written adventure. From the romance perspective, I liked the slow buildup of a true, loving relationship.

Excellent addition to the
Zeynep | BlissfullyBookedd Blog |
• Provided by NetGalley •

Finished it last night because I didn’t read the whole blurb so I was expecting a warm, slow burn, exciting little read before shit hit the fan with Napoleon.

I adore Mary Jo Putney, have I mentioned! Love, Love, Love her.

The tropes were;

• damsel in distress

• marriage of convenience

• h/H spies

• napoleon involves

• slow burn romance

I recommend this book because there was not a lot that I didn’t like about this book and the stuff I didn’t, it was mostly because of my perso
Lit. 4 Ladies
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel may be billed as a stand-alone, but I felt lost and like I missed out on a lot of story having not read the three previous novels!

I loved the historical component and learning more about Napoleon and the political situation during that time, it added to the stories depth.

The love story between the two characters was not only believable for the time period, but I enjoyed watching their friendship blossom into something more.
Mskychick
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: pc-library
It was an ok book until the end when the magical woo woo stuff came in. Weird. They came out of nowhere and were really jarring. They dropped this book for me from a 3.5 Star rating to a 2.5 rating.
Also, there are some clunky areas, where the author does things like have the hero write in a letter to the heroine, as you know, I sent the horses on with Stephen. I expect less awkwardness in conveying what is occurring from a seasoned author.
Rebekah
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up
Got over 100 pages in and was still waiting for the book to start. I gave up, dear reader.
Theresa Ugenti
Trudy
Aug 11, 2019
Gail
Aug 20, 2019
She writes young adult fiction as M.J. Putney.

Mary Jo Putney was born in Upstate New York with a reading addiction, a condition for which there is no known cure. After earning degrees in English Literature and Industrial Design at Syracuse University, she did various forms of design work in California and England before inertia took over in Baltimore, Maryland, where she has lived very comfortably

Rogues Redeemed (4 books)
  • Once a Soldier (Rogues Redeemed, #1)
  • Once a Rebel (Rogues Redeemed, #2)
  • Once a Scoundrel (Rogues Redeemed, #3)