Start by marking “Depression Hates a Moving Target: How Running With My Dog Brought Me Back From the Brink” as Want to Read:

Run your way to better mental health

It’s never too late to chase your dreams: Before she discovered running, Nita Sweeney was 49-years-old, chronically depressed, occasionally manic, and unable to jog for more than 60 seconds at a time. Using exercise, Nita discovered an inner strength she didn’t know she possessed, and with the help of her canine companion, she found
Published May 30th 2019 by Mango

To ask other readers questions about Depression Hates a Moving Target, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Depression Hates a Moving Target

Start your review of Depression Hates a Moving Target: How Running With My Dog Brought Me Back From the Brink
Suzanna Anderson
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Personally, I hate running unless I am chasing down a tennis ball on the court. So Nita’s goal of running a marathon is not a goal for me. However, I loved reading about how Nita returned to her love of running and started small with a kitchen timer in her neighborhood before she was able to run a full marathon.

The prologue begins as Nita is running the marathon. Nita’s mind says negative things like “Who do you think you are?” and “You’re old and fat. People will make fun of you and you’ll die
Karen
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While this book had its flaws, it was right up my alley. Nita Sweeney, an overweight 50 something from Columbus, Ohio, who struggles with depression, anxiety, mania, and has days, weeks and months when she can't get off the couch, or out of bed, or certainly, out of the house, and struggles even to shower, gets the idea to try running.

She has friends who run and post their achievements and joy in running on Facebook. She wants that joy, but fears starting and fears others seeing her. But one
Cheryl Leutjen
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love how the author shares her personal story in dealing with serious depression with candor, hope and humor. Nita's writing style is clear and engaging. Although I am not a runner (nor do I hold any aspirations to becoming one), I was blown-away impressed by both her accomplishments and her infectious enthusiasm to keep herself moving. The most difficult part about this book is sitting still long enough to read it!

Maura
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am so proud of Nita Sweeney for the accomplishment of writing this book as well as the accomplishment of running, not one, but several marathons now! I could not wait to get the book in the mail. Nita's book is bold in its coverage of her mental illness condition and the various ways it expresses itself in her daily life, and yet she makes an amazing commitment to do what it takes to train and achieve the running of a marathon. This books covers the couple of years it takes to start with ...more
Jackie Keating
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Nita’s journey is inspiring and while I in no way share her dream of running a marathon, the book does make me want to go on a run this morning.
Shel
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: running
Love this! Recommended for: runners, writers, and anyone interested in mental health awareness. The author describes her journey from finding the courage to bounce along for 20 minutes in a secluded ravine to running her first 5K and eventually completing a marathon. A fast-paced and effortless read (ease in the reader, craft in the writer). Like any good running book, this makes you want to get up off the couch and go!

I wish I'd had this to read when I began training for my first half-marathon.
Donna
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Depression Hates a Moving Target is too wonderful to describe with one word, but the word “moving” kept floating through my consciousness as I read. “Moving” as a verb, as I literally felt my body wanting to move when reading the author’s description of how she felt after running. And “moving” as an adjective, as I felt my heart swell with recognition, empathy, and joy when reading of her emotional turmoil and victories. Nita Sweeney is a highly educated and successful woman, who reveals her ...more
Jenni
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book.

So, the book itself isn't some page turning, life changing memoir. It's simply a woman's story about how and why she got into running - a fight with anxiety and depression being the biggest bit of motivation - and her journey from barely being able to run a full minute to completing her first marathon. In between, she talks about her struggles (both physically and mentally), mistakes she makes (plenty), setbacks she faces, things she thinks about and the progress she makes
Sue Herrett
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very inspirational and motivating read! Thanks Nita for sharing your story!!!
Allison Sauntry
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I applaud the author’s candidness in discussing her depression and love how much running has helped her. However, I felt she spent too much dwelling on the mundane details of her training (and I’m a runner who likes reading about others’ training.) A lot of that could have been tightened/edited out, IMO.
Alan
Aug 12, 2019 added it
Shelves: epub
#1 Amazon New Release! — Run your way to better mental health

It's never too late to chase your dreams: Before she discovered running, Nita Sweeney was 49-years-old, chronically depressed, occasionally manic, and unable to jog for more than 60 seconds at a time. Using exercise, Nita discovered an inner strength she didn't know she possessed, and with the help of her canine companion, she found herself on the way to completing her first marathon. In her memoir, Sweeney shares how she overcame

Marie
The best memoirs feel like you're chatting with a close friend, and Nita captures that spirit. Her voice is so relatable, the thoughts she shares so familiar, that this didn't feel like reading. It was like my own thoughts were given warm company. I'd look up, and forty pages had passed in the blink of an eye.

We've all had to struggle when confronted with the obstacles of life, and Nita gives us the solace in knowing that we're not alone when we cry, or feel defeated, or argue with ourselves.

Eleanor
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Who Knew?

I knew Nita in college, but I had no idea about her struggles with depression and anxiety. Her book is an insightful look at the everyday challenges she faces. A real eye opener for me.

I’ve read books on running before (so I knew I’d like that part). It’s always interesting to me to see how someone prepares for something as big as a marathon. The moral of this story, however, is that in spite of the coaching and support groups (both vital), the majority of the prep work was done
Jodi L Santini
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nita's husband Ed gave me a card for her book so I looked it up and decided to order it. I'm very glad I did! Thank you, Nita, for sharing your story of inspiration and courage. I battled depression which spiraled into alcoholism. I'm in recovery which allowed me to regain my health. This led to my walking races and joining a walking club. Your story proves we can do anything regardless of age and with support of friends, family and fur babies.
Jessi
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is lovely story about one woman's quest to run a marathon. She charts her highs and her lows, not only with running but with her mental health as well. There is some skimming on the mental health but overall this is a lovely book and the audio narrator was the perfect pick. If you have never wanted to run a marathon before, this book will definitely make you want to.
Heather
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book on audible. This book felt like it was written for/about me. It was about mental health issues, but really it was about why I run, and why Columbus is a great city to run in. I identified so much with a lot of the story.
Lynne
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! Nita captured what runners go through to train for a race, and the unexpected benefits that running can bring, including managing depression and anxiety. Thank you Nita for bringing to life your story...it's a wonderful one!
Rosanna
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a well written true story about one woman's fight with depression by running with her dog. She very frankly shares her ups and downs in life and what she does to feel better. By the end of the book you'll be cheering with her on one of the biggest days of her life.
Jill
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved this memoir by a local Columbus runner. I could relate to a lot of parts!
Kate
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Audiobook
Celeste
May 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Struggled through it....

I pre-ordered this book as I was excited for it.... however I struggled with it. I really did try to finish it but I couldn’t. Got about halfway then gave up. Couldn’t hold me :(
Martha Crone
Jun 18, 2019
Bethany
Nov 20, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Running Is My Therapy: Relieve Stress and Anxiety, Fight Depression, Ditch Bad Habits, and Live Happier
  • Life Is a Marathon: A Memoir of Love and Endurance
  • Reborn on the Run: My Journey from Addiction to Ultramarathons
  • The Incomplete Book of Running
  • Broken Open: Mountains, Demons, Treadmills And a Search for Nirvana
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • The Happy Runner: Love the Process, Get Faster, Run Longer
  • Me
  • Training For Ultra: Ultra Running Stories From the Middle of the Pack
  • The Peanuts Papers: Charlie Brown, Snoopy & the Gang, and the Meaning of Life: A Library of America Special Publication
  • Emotional Intelligence: Resilience
  • Running Home
  • Woman: An Intimate Geography
  • Running to the Edge: A Band of Misfits and the Guru Who Unlocked the Secrets of Speed
  • Wonderful Town: New York Stories from The New Yorker
  • Strong Is the New Pretty: A Celebration of Girls Being Themselves
  • Deep South
  • The Beginner's Guide to Buddhism
After a decade of legal practice (and a major depressive episode), Nita Sweeney turned in her shingle for a fast-writing pen. People still ask legal questions, but she's done her best to forget the answers. Instead of negotiating labor contracts for public agencies, she writes, and shares what she's learned.

Nita’s articles, essays, and poems have appeared in Buddhist America, Dog World, Dog Fancy,
“If running taught me anything, it was how to turn things around. So many times, I had dreaded a workout, only for it to turn out splendid. So many days I had been convinced I would get lost. only to be thrilled by new scenery as I found my way. So many mornings I growled about rising at the butt-crack of dawn, then wound up laughing with my friends. This was no different. The doldrums wouldn’t last, especially if I took action.” 1 likes
“What changes your life is the day-to-day stuff leading up to and following the events.” 1 likes