Start by marking “Bullseye Bella” as Want to Read:
Bullseye Bella

Bullseye Bella

Twelve-year-old Bella Kerr is a darts prodigy. And when she finds out that her little brother's special schooling is at risk because of lack of money, Bella secretly enters a darts competition at the local pub. The old boys' network of darts players are not happy - none more than the gold-suited charmer, Frankie Goldfinger Phillips, a five-time national champion - who will ...more
Published March 1st 2019 by Scholastic NZ

To ask other readers questions about Bullseye Bella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bullseye Bella

Start your review of Bullseye Bella
Bookrapt
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: junior-fiction
Bullseye Balla won the Tom Fitzgibbon Award for 2018. Author James Guthrie has hit the bullseye with his choice of heroine in a male-dominated sport. He has created characters who are believable, a family situation that is all too common, and combined these with a strong competitive element. There is humour tempered with moments of concern – over finances, over children being removed from their mother, and over the bullying that Bella experiences from older men.

Bella is a serious 12 year old, wi
Kim
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow ...this is so well done ....It was so realistic and contains positive messages ,yet it's not preachy ( so annoying) ....I loved that the characters are very well defined and the fact that this was a story about a close happy
family ...I enjoyed it even though I am well past the age it was aimed for as an audience .However when I win a book from Goodreads that is intended as a gift for a child in my family i read it to check that it contains appropriate content.This one is meant for my 8 year
Suzanne Main
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bullseye Bella is a charming, fast-paced read full of colourful characters to love (and to love to hate). The mix of tense dart scenes and surrounding drama was just right. I enjoyed it immensely.
Rebekah Fraser
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bella Kerr is a darts prodigy. When she finds out that her little brother’s special schooling is at risk due to a lack of money, she decides to help. Bella secretly enters a local dart competition at the local pub. Aged only 12, her entry doesn’t go down well with the old boys’ network of darts players. One competitor in particular will go to any length in order to stop Bella qualifying for the national competition.

Bullseye Bella is a humorous and action-packed story. Author James T Guthrie pack
Tom Moffatt
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is storytelling at its finest. Quirky, yet believable characters, page-turning plot, and darts. What a superb debut from James T. Guthrie. Can’t wait to see what he writes about in his next book. Snooker, perhaps?
Kathleen Dixon
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathleen by: Miriam
Well, I got really caught up in this book. Bella is a normal 12-year-old kid with a mother who has to work shifts so Bella has quite a bit of responsibility for her 8-year-old brother (father split years ago) - we all know families with stories similar to that. But where Bella is different to most of us is that she is prodigiously good at playing darts. Me, I'm lucky to hit the board! Bella, however, plays and plays and plays because she loves it. She has her Dad's excellent set of darts, and sh ...more
Kathryn
Fun and funny.
I love stories that have sport at their centre not necessarily because of the sport itself but because of the potential for a love of that sport to give disparate groups of people something in common - something to talk about, to bring people happily together who might not otherwise cross paths.
The local pub in this story is called the Gnome and Ferret and Bella's younger brother has been consistently dressing and presenting as a pirate for four years... the vocabulary and tone a
Summer
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
4.5 Stars. Bella’s a gem of a girl and it was a joy to read her story.

Eager to help her mom pay for her little brother’s special schooling, Bella secretly heads out to a local pub at night (somewhat daring when you’re only twelve and have your eight year old brother in tow). Bella enters into a darts tournament with men as her opponents and her eyes on the cash prize. That one decision to compete behind her mom’s back brings both good and bad with it, sabotage and accolades, the threat of Bella’
Isa Rive
Aug 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-fiction
Hmy
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bella is a great role model and a likeable character. The story of how she comes to enter the national darts championship is credible enough for us to be caught up in the excitement and to stand on the sidelines wishing her luck. James Guthrie keeps up the tension and produces a nail biting finale. A deserving winner of the Tom Fitzgibbon Award.
Kat
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this as my oldest is doing a class book study on it. I have finished it and he is still going. I really enjoyed it, having dabbled in business house darts before, I really flowed with it. I have even been updating my partner about what's been happening in the book. I heard rumour that there might be a film based on this book. I look forward to seeing what they do with it.
Annie
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reading this a short time after Fallon Sherrock won two matches in the world champs, makes this seem a little bit more believable.
A wonderful story of family.
Mel Vdk
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Excellent plot, really different. WIll read aloud to my class
Ginger Beer
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, engaging and believable characters
The heroine's journey for middle grade readers
Sue
May 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
not overly delighted with this one.............
Bonnie Herrick

• Grandpa And Thomas
  • A Place of Stone and Darkness
  • The True Colours of Coral Glen
  • To Night Owl from Dogfish
  • Things In The Sea Are Touching Me!
  • Diana: Princess of the Amazons
  • A Mistake
  • Rumblestar (The Unmapped Chronicles, #1)
  • The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)
  • Guts
  • Bear Came Along
  • The Secret Seven (The Secret Seven, #1)
James T Guthrie is the author of Bullseye Bella, winner of the 2018 Storylines Tom Fitzgibbon award and short-listed for the Best First Book Award at the 2019 New Zealand Children and Young Adult Book Awards.

The blog of his online alter-ego - Natalie Biz: International Librarian of Mystery - won the 2004 NZ Netguide Best Blog Award, was nominated for an international Bloggies Award, and made an h