Start by marking “A Subtle Murder (Rose Beckingham, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Subtle Murder (Rose Beckingham, #1)

A Subtle Murder

(Rose Beckingham #1)

Murder and intrigue on the Arabian Sea...

When Rose Beckingham sets sail for England in the summer of 1926, she brings more than souvenirs from her years in India. She carries the memory of a family tragedy and a secret so terrible it could destroy the new life she hopes to build in London.

But Rose isn’t the only passenger aboard the RMS Star of India with something to

Published January 1st 2019

To ask other readers questions about A Subtle Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Subtle Murder

Start your review of A Subtle Murder (Rose Beckingham, #1)
Joyce M. Tice
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an entertaining light reading story. I enjoyed it. I can't help saying, and I don't like to do it, but I wish the author would take some basic grammar lessons particularly in handling objective and subjective pronouns. Too many errors in that aspect. We hear the same all the time, but professional writers should do better. Or is she saying that her characters are ignorant and don't know how to speak the language? She has not presented them that way, so I have to believe the ignorance is ...more
Lily
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up
Seems like a cute, light mystery. Love the setting. But I got about a quarter of the way into it and hit the sentence "Lady Dixon led Jane and I through the dining room." I'm honestly not sure a book where the author and editor both pass a sentence like that can possibly be worth reading. I regret that I paid money for it.
Linda Sharp
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Rose

While to me this was geared toward young adults, it was enjoyable. However, I really don't believe I'll be following this series or author. Characters were shallow and the plot predictable with no surprises.
Nancy Butts
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Lindsay Boitnott
Every summer I find myself desperate for new books that fulfill the following criteria:
1. summer mystery
2. fun story

I can feel you roll your eyes, but hear me out. I am a fan of dark thrillers and deep-thinker stories, but lying on the beach sand under a blazing sun in 100+ degree heat is not the time to be reading that stuff. No. I want to read a light fun story where, typically, our quirky female heroine captures the bad guy before afternoon tea. These types of stories are perfect for reading
M.J.
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Read the entire series in a week - books are entertainingly light and fluffy, although the situations do get more and more far-fetched, and I was pleased to get to the end of Book 5. The main complaint is the liberal splattering of 'Americanisms' throughout the books - even with everything taken into account in the storyline, there are many characters who would say streets and pavements rather than blocks and sidewalks. The first book is the best of them all. Enjoy!
Rosemary K
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rose Beckingham has secrets. She is the only survivor of a bombing in India. Mourning her loss, she's going home to England. Can she start over after the loss of her family? As she sails on the Star of India, a woman she knows is murdered. Rose decides to investigate. Will her inquisitive nature put her in danger? Rose is an interesting character. She's quick witted and resourceful. The mystery surrounding her pulled me in. Her questions on Ruby's murder put Rose in a risky position. When she ...more
Rekha
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Light mystery

Enjoyable premise. If you are an avid mystery reader, you will figure out the plot rather quickly. The setting and time period add interest.
Gail Gassen
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful mystery!

Because of the time period of this book and of course it's murder mystery, I decided to give t a try. I'm delighted that I did! Into the first chapter I knew was hooked. I knew behind her outside appearance Rose had more than a secret she was hiding. Following a devastating bomb that was thrown into the car she was riding in with family she was only one to walk away alive. She didn't come away without deep scares though, besides the one left on her face, she has the
Rachael Floyd
Aug 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Real talk: I had to google whether this book was satire. I don’t leave reviews if I’m not going to rave about the beautiful writing; however, I am making an exception. So, here’s the good stuff first— the premise had so much promise. The execution was poor at best. There were so many places in which the plot was difficult to follow. It didn’t feel polished. I was left with so many questions— the most prominent of which was WHY THE HELL WAS ROSE EVEN GETTING INVOLVED? There was no reason. It was ...more
Disney14604
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, books
What can I say? I loved it.

This book reminds me of watching PBS's Hercule Poirot. The observations, the way people dressed and talked, the whole atmosphere of the book. I could never figure out how Mr. Poirot figured it out nor could I figure this one out to almost the end. i had my suspicions but need the ending to confirm it.

This book is way different from the author's other writing styles. Her other books are more lighthearted, fun and easy to read. This one just takes you to another time
D. Starr
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teens - Adult
Seems Like Everybody's Got Secrets
Appropriate for teens - adults
No sex
No harsh language.

Setting: 1920s
Rose Beckingham is traveling in a luxury liner from India back home to England. Her immediate family had just been tragically killed by what we'd call a terrorist. Rose was the only surviver. Now, accompanied by her parents' acquaintances, the Worthings, she becomes preoccupied by a mysterious death aboard the ship. What motive would there have been for this crime and which of her rather
Eden
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
2019 bk 27. I knew who had done it by page 5. That does sound like the kiss of death to a mystery, doesn't it? But the main character has a secret, all of the characters but, seemingly, the Worthings, have secrets. It is how the author carefully crafts the dropping of hints on the secrets everyone has that kept me reading - so that I read until midnight, not aware of time passing. There are at least four more mysteries in the series and I have to order at least the next one. I want to know more ...more
Sharon
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rose is on board an ocean liner heading to England. She had been living in India for a long time. She is nervous as she is hiding a secret. She is in the company of Mr. & Mrs. Worthing. They are helping her and watching out for her on the three week journey. Halfway across the Arabian Sea, a killer strikes. Rose decides she must investigate. There are twists and turns and red herrings to keep you turning the pages. Who killed Ruby? And Why? Will the killer strike again? Will Rose figure it ...more
Pat Roberts
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
If I hadn’t known this was a published book, I would have thought it was a high school writing project. Everything about it was flat and corny. The characters were blah, Rose was seemingly paranoid, because she kept mentioning that people didn’t like her, and since when did a luxury ship of the 1920s have a travel cup? No well-to-do woman of the era would have carried her tray out to the deck, let alone be sipping her tea or coffee out of a travel cup! It was all china back in the day. The ...more
Tony Hisgett
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
It wasn’t a bad start to the story and Rose had an interesting back-story with continuous hints of a mysterious secret. Although even with the revelations at the end of the book I was still not sure about her. At times she was a bit pathetic, but on other occasions she was a strong capable woman.

The mystery was OK, but I would have liked more ‘normal’ interaction between Rose and the other characters, everything was just seemed to be about the murder.

Overall I quite enjoyed the book, although I
Nancy Lawrence
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Predictable plot

Achilles Pridoue, an obvious knockoff of Christie’s Hercule down to his mustache, but with the added gloss of handsome features, lent little to the plot. Too many anachronisms that belied the 1926 setting, and regrettable grammatical errors using subjective pronouns where objective case was indicated made me want to scream for an editor. Author needs authentic detail found only through taking the time and effort to research the period beyond a few obvious fashion observations.
Mererid Evanna
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a splendid period mystery with a timeless feel – that may be because modern cruise ships do their best to reproduce the vintage first class shipboard experience. The 1920s clothes are lovingly described. The intriguing heroine – survivor of a terrorist attack – feels impelled to investigate the murder of an acquaintance who half-confided in her. Meanwhile, she has her own secret to guard and dare not trust anyone. The varied characters are strikingly described. A very promising start to ...more
Sue
Jul 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Because of the spirited, yet civilized nature of Rose on shipboard, this is a good mystery. There are stuck up characters, wily ones, well-meaning ones, nefarious ones, and those who want to help Rose figure our who murdered another passenger. I liked the well-dressed, upper class bunch but also enjoyed Rose's trip down to the room that held the luggage. The end threw me a bit but I like surprises and found this mystery pleasant and it whole book reminded me of Agatha Christie's stories.
Patricia Gulley
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Much has already been said about the editing need, so I'll just mention that too much of this supposed 1920's 'luxury liner' sounded like a modern day cruise ship. No where near similar. Buffets in the dining room, cafes, waitresses?, mugs, bills. And a steamer trunk of the time packed with the kind of clothing needed for a three week sailing unpacked in less than 15 minutes, not likely. And where were the maids and cabin stewards, and proper dining room waiters. And the maitre de?
Lynette Miserez
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Somewhat disappointing

There was no real reason for the main character to investigate the murder, and she did it so clumsely, blyth ly ignoring warnings of danger while proclaiming constantly that she could take care of herself, which she could not. She showed no sympathy toward the little stow away, who eventually saved her life, letting him go off into London without trying to repay him. I didn't care for her or the story at all.
Nancy
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rose Beckingham is traveling from India back to London after losing her parents in a car bombing. It is the 20's and young ladies do not travel alone. A couple have offered their help. A married lady in the cabin next to Rose is killed and Rose decides to look into it since no one else seems to be getting anywhere in solving the case. Rose has her own problems though so can she find who did it and keep her own secrets?
Bernadette Cinkoske
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Subtle Murder is the first book with Rose Beckingham, the sole survivor of a car bomb in 1926 in India. This book details Rose's sea voyage back to England to meet with the Beckinghams who were not in India. This is an Agatha Christie type story. It was a very interesting story with numerous passengers harboring secrets. Will Rose survive her investigations and solve the murder? You will have to read this twisty plot for your self.
Barb Foerst
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Rose is making the trip back to England after a terrible ordeal in India. The novel is set in the mid 1920’s. Early the first morning at sea, a woman is found dead. Rose had been seated with her at dinner the previous night and wants answers. This begins a slow moving story thru the solution of the murder. There are a few surprises along the way. It was an interesting story but is lacking in development.
Ellen White
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Roaring twenties come alive in her new series. Rose is a heiress and was in India when there was a car bimb, On voyage back to England she starts to investigate. a crime of a simple item, and then to a murder. Intriguing of a way to pass the time, and no where else, could the murderer be at but on the ship. Different and enjoyed. Given ARC for my voluntary review and my honest opinion.
Cyn Mcdonald
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Three stars

Set on a passenger liner sailing from India to England in 1926. Lightweight story, very amateur and somewhat foolhardy female detective. Anachronistic language, like the use of "vibe" some 40 years too early, made me twitch big-time.

If you like Daisy Dalrymple you might want to check out this series.
Argum
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
After a political bombing in India, Rose and her whole family perish. In a stroke of luck, the maid survived and is misidentified as Rose. Nellie has always wanted to find out what happened to her brother and her murdered parents so she takes the opportunity and the money it entails to do so. On the ship over she stumbles across a murder and a few great friends. Interesting premise
Catherine Stratman
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good first in series.

I found this to be an enjoyable read. I love the 1920's time period and an ocean liner makes a good location. I found the main character to be a little silly but deeper than I at first thought. She does get herself into tight spots! I'll be interested to see what this series goes. Definitely worth reading the next one!

I received an ARC. This is my honest review.

Rita
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful story. I loved the main character and how she was determined to solve the murder. She is an amazing character that this author has created. I loved the plot and the twists and turns throughout the book. I love the time of the story too. I want to read more of this series by this author. I will be looking forward to following this author.
Heatherinblack
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
some many lucky detectives

the twist is quite clever and will make for an interesting subplot going forward. still, Rose was just difficult in asking dangerous questions and ultimately the killer sought her out. too easy. i hope she is able to do more thoughtful detecting in future books.
« previous 1 3 next »

• House Party Murder Rap (An Evie Parker Mystery Book 1)
  • Murder in the Shallows (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #6)
  • Murder at the Tea Party: 1920s Historical Cozy Mystery (An Evie Parker Mystery Book 2)
  • Gin & Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #7)
  • Wedding Vows & Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #10)
  • Obsidian Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #8)
  • Murder at the Ladies Club (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #9)
  • Murder Among the Roses (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #5)
  • Death by the Book (Poison Ink Mysteries #1)
  • A Jazzy Little Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #11)
  • Murder at the Folly (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #3)
  • Murder at the Car Rally: 1920s Historical Cozy Mystery (An Evie Parker Mystery Book 3)
  • A Merry Little Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #4)
  • Murder By Chocolate (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #12)
  • Kennington House Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #2)
  • Death Witnessed (Poison Ink Mysteries #2)
  • The Case at Barton Manor (Mrs. Lillywhite Investigates Book 1)
  • Murder by the Sea: A Violet Carlyle Cozy Historical Mystery (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries Book 14)
Blythe Baker is a thirty-something bottle redhead from the South Central part of the country. When she’s not slinging words and creating new worlds and characters, she’s acting as chauffeur to her children and head groomer to her household of beloved pets.

Blythe enjoys long walks with her dog on sweaty days, grubbing in her flower garden, cooking, and ruthlessly de-cluttering her overcrowded

Rose Beckingham (7 books)
  • A Grave Welcome (Rose Beckingham, #2)
  • A Cunning Death (Rose Beckingham, #3)
  • A Grim Game (Rose Beckingham, #4)
  • A Fatal Journey (Rose Beckingham, #5)
  • A Sudden Passing (A Rose Beckingham Murder Mystery Book 6)
  • A Final Rest (A Rose Beckingham Murder Mystery Book 7)
“His nose came to a point far away from the canvas of his face” 0 likes