Start by marking “The Heart of Awareness: A Translation of the Ashtavakra Gita” as Want to Read:
The Heart of Awareness: A Translation of the Ashtavakra Gita

The Heart of Awareness: A Translation of the Ashtavakra Gita

The Ashtavakra Gita conveys with beauty and simplicity the essential teachings of Advaita Vedanta, the most influential of the Hindu philosophical systems. Composed by an anonymous master of the school of the great sage Shankara, it is a book of practical advice for seekers of wisdom as well as an ecstatic expression of the experience of enlightenment. In this simple, aph ...more
Published November 13th 2001 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of Awareness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of Awareness

Fuad Fuad
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book very important for the seeker and read carefully....repeat reading...and I am very happy after read this book....If I have spare time,I try to read this book.If someone else asking me which one the best books about advaita....I recomend this books...
Jaymur
Dec 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
One of the best Indian gitas that is comparable in many ways to the Tao Te Ching. Simple yet profound wisdom.
Matthew Klippenstein
This translation of the Ashtavakra Gita, along with translations of the Bhagavad Gita and Katha Upanishad, form the Hindu scripture portion of the heart of my personal library.

There is a mesmerizing poetry in this translation: simple, sparse, elegant. And so, the Gita soars from the page, fluid, unforced -- and arrestingly profound.

Some yoga practises bring the student into an awareness of the space in one's breathing, between exhalation and inhalation -- a point of stillness. Generally, the int
Kim
May 21, 2009 rated it liked it
a friend quoted a part of the Ashtavakra Gita to me when I had bells palsy in college. i picked up this book when my mom was sick with cancer so that i could share it with her, as well.

You are not your body.
Your body is not you.

You are not the doer.
You are not the enjoyer.

You are pure awareness,
The witness of all things.

You are without expectation,
Free.
Pashmina
Jan 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
While the Ashtavakra Gita is a beautiful book, this translation is horrible. It is so disappointing, that even over a year later, memories of it has spurred me to write a review here so that others may be made aware and go seek a better translation.

My main issue is that the author's translation changes the very nature of this Gita. The Ashtavakra Gita is originally in a debate/dialogue format between the King and a challenger. The depth and meaning of this beautiful Gita resides in that exchang
Karen
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Concise. Beautiful. It's a short book, but a long read. <3
ron btdtbttsawio
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a short and easy to read booklet. It is a conversation between master and student on what self-realization feels like and how to achieve it.
Highly recommended.
Matthew Ciuccio
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the best thing I have ever read b
Pawan Parashar
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
People who are looking for enlightenment must go for this book, this book is far beyond the thinking of any person in the world. To understand this book one needs to understand advaita vedanta principle of non duality first, then this book will become much easier to grasp. But best vesion of asthavakragit is is by "Radhakamal Mukharjee's". I will recommend to read that one although i an unable to find it on goodread.

Some of the verse are so power that will take you to the far beyond cosmos and y
k9
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adrien
Mar 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hinduism
I have read many translations on the Kindle, and like this one the best, the only one I have yet in book form. This is the translator of the Dharmapada which I also have, since I was 15. It is a very concise translation--and it gets to the point that spirituality is experience not knowledge--a very good small book for introduction of Advaita Vedanta that Ramana Maharshi taught too.
Bella
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Never found a song like this !
Delfin Labao
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A reading meditation- that opens the mind and heart - to complete stillness or not
Audie Little
Vivek Srinivasan
Nov 10, 2009
tatsat
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Probably, the best ever Poetic Translation of Ashtavakra Gita.
Ashley Littrell

• The Collected Works of Ramana Maharshi
  • The Pocket Chogyam Trungpa
  • The Yoga Sūtras of Patañjali: A New Edition, Translation, and Commentary
  • Ashtavakra Gita
  • The Heart Treasure of the Enlightened Ones: The Practice of View, Meditation, and Action: A Discourse Virtuous in the Beginning, Middle, and End
  • Centuries Of Meditations
  • Dalai Lama's Little Book of Inner Peace: The Essential Life and Teachings
  • The Upanishads, Part 1
  • Myths of the Asanas: The Stories at the Heart of the Yoga Tradition
  • Speaking of Siva
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • The Bhagavad Gita: Royal Science of God-Realization
  • Silence of the Heart: Dialogues with Robert Adams
  • Sadhana
“My child,
Because you think you are the body,
For a long time you have been bound.

Know you are pure awareness.

With this knowledge as your sword
Cut through your chains.
And be happy!

For you are already free,
Without action or flaw,
Luminous and bright.”
1 likes
“For God is infinite,
Within the body and without,
Like a mirror,
And the image in a mirror.

As the air is everywhere,
Flowing around a pot
And filling it,
So God is everywhere,
Filling all things
And flowing through them forever.”
1 likes