Start by marking “A Stone Sat Still” as Want to Read:
A Stone Sat Still

A Stone Sat Still

The follow-up to They All Saw a Cat

A Stone Sat Still tells the story of a seemingly ordinary rock—but to the animals that use it, it is a resting place, a kitchen, a safe haven...even an entire world.
Published August 27th 2019 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about A Stone Sat Still, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Stone Sat Still

Start your review of A Stone Sat Still
Reading Tam Ishly
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I simply loved this book because it has the potential for different perspectives of how and when we read it. It will be different for the children. They will enjoy the illustrations and the various animals and flora depicted in relation to the stone. And as for adults, I feel this book describes a home to me, a home in my own being. We as adults face different people of all kinds and get caught up in certain unavoidable life circumstances. I read this one hoping that I would enjoy the ...more
Lisa Vegan
This title greatly appealed to me and I was expecting a meditative experience and it did sort of provide it for me. I do like how it shows perspective via how all sorts of creatures view and use the same stone in different ways. The stone remains stable, a constant, in an always changing and diverse world. I appreciated the concept. And the illustrations and gorgeous and huge and striking.

I think I enjoyed the author/illustrator’s They All Saw A Cat book more than this one. It’s very similar in
Abigail
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Brendan Wenzel Fans / Readers Looking for Picture-Books About Perspective and/or Nature
Described on the dust-jacket flap as a companion to author/illustrator Brendan Wenzel's Caldecott Honor-winning They All Saw A Cat , this new picture-book also explores perspective. Centering around the eponymous stone, the narrative here explores the stone's existence - the many uses it serves to various creatures in the wild, and the various positions it holds, depending upon the size and outlook of the being examining it. In the end, the stone sits and endures, while everything around it ...more
Laura Harrison
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: omg-cant-wait, 2019
A Stone Sat Still by Brendan Wenzel is my favorite picture book of the year. I have been waiting so long for the release of this book! It is described as a companion to his remarkable Caldecott award winning, They All Saw A Cat. It was definitely worth the wait! Every illustration is a wonder that needs to be enjoyed and studied. It is a quiet, contemplative, timely, beautiful book. So hard to believe this is only Brendan Wenzel's eighth book. I consider him a picture book great. His work is as ...more
Abby Johnson
WOW! With gorgeous, muted, sometimes a little abstract artwork and a gentle, rhythmic, evocative text, this picture book presents a stone. Depending on the time of year or which animals are near, the stone can be different things: a pebble to a moose, a hill to a bug, etc. But the stone is also always itself, sitting where it sits as everything changes all around it. This is a great book to share ideas about perspective and how it changes and also mindfulness and seeing the possibilities in ...more
La Coccinelle
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I read They All Saw a Cat earlier this year. I have to say, that one was just okay for me. I think I enjoyed A Stone Sat Still a lot more.

Both books are about different perspectives, but they approach the topic in slightly different ways. They All Saw a Cat shows how various creatures see the cat that's prowling through the scenes. A Stone Sat Still is more about how the stone--a steady constant--influences the lives of the various creatures that encounter it.

The pictures are interesting,
Barbara
Like many other readers, I adored They All Saw a Cat and Hello Hello, this author/illustrator's previous two picture books. His latest offering only serves to add to my admiration for him and his work. As he has done in the previous two books, he explores perspective, this time focusing on a stone. It's clear that this rock has been around for a long time, and various animals use it as a landing place, a spot on which to eat or perch or crack a shell to reveal a meal. For some of it, it's quite ...more
Danielle
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy moly.
Amy!
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
So lovely. I loved Wenzel's They All Saw A Cat, and I think this one is as good, if not better. The text is so warm and soothing, and the illustrations are incredible. His use of a variety of mediums works really well to tell this story of a stone and all the different perspectives the creatures that interact with it have. I particularly love the cut paper porcupine.
Rebekah
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favourite thing about this book is the illustrations, almost collage like in style they vary in colour and scale which adds almost another dimension to the book. I love the concept as well, the fact something so simple and common can be something completely different to everyone.

A great book that left me with a nice sense of calm after reading it. I will definitely not look at stones as just stones anymore, instead as another world.
Brindi Michele
I liked it, but it was a tad too long. Great for programs/storytimes for thinking outside the box of what things can be...such as the book What To Do With a Box or the one about a stick (the title is escaping me right now!).
Lynn
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Quiet, thoughtful and calming but with charming details for the alert reader.
Morgan
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Brendan Wenzel just keeps getting knocking it out of the park. For me, this latest endeavor was very nearly picture-book-perfection: whimsical, rhythmic, beautiful, and brimming with big ideas and new perspectives.
Tonja Drecker
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Every page, every moment invites on a beautiful journey which goes nowhere and everywhere.

This is the story of a stone, which sat still. It's a concept which will have kids wondering and maybe even smirking a little before the first page. But it's a book with wonderful depth and leads listeners on a journey into the amazing world of reality...which seems almost like fantasy.

The illustrations are as dreamy as the journey itself and invite to imagination without going anywhere. A rainbow of
Mathew
Poems seem to lend themselves so well to the picturebook format and I suppose much of this lies in the rhythm of the words, the turning of the pages and the gaps that naturally form in the meaning making of any poem. With Wenzel’s second venture into both forms, we find ourselves greeted within the river-mist of the double-page spread in which a lone snail slowly makes its way towards the hulking, rounded form of a stone: our protagonist.

From this page on, Wenzel presents us with a series of
Alice Ball
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
While this book is a lot like They All Saw A Cat in theme, it doesn't feel redundant. Great for teaching perspective, with plenty of room for activities based on the idea. Choose an object in nature and think about it like Wenzel thought about a stone - see what comes out!
Eliza J
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The poem throughout is really well written and beautiful only to be enhanced immencely by the illustrations.

This book explores perspectives as the stone is many things to many different animals.

To the ant the stone is a hill and to the moose the stone is a pebble.

Love this book with some really interesting concepts and lots to unpick in the imagery.
Jane Scholey
A lovely book that makes the reader think about how we look at simple things, the differing perspectives we all have but also environmental changes and the impact on everyone's world. Wonderful to investigate with KS1 chn.
Kathleen Dixon
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kathleen by: the Bookshop
What a beautiful children's book! It's not written in rhyme, but it reads like poetry. The illustrations are muted and simple, but very evocative. The storyline is timeless - describing the life that goes on all the time around an object like a stone.
Tina Hoggatt
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A poetic reverie on nature and point of view. Soft, love illustrations carry the reader through and a repeating refrain emphasizes the importance of place and perspective.
Julie
Good choice for teaching perspective and point of view. A quiet gem of a book.
Lori
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing (calming) beautiful story...made more meaningful as Brendan shared it with school librarians from across the country at AASL’s biennium conference in Louisville. Thank you!
Cherylann
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Zen - charming story - fabulous artwork
Bethe
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s all about your perspective: a stone is a stone is a stone. And then it is much more. Love the stone texture and colors on the endpages.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A stone in time. Changes. Is judged. Rated. Evaluated. Used. Loved. And on and on it goes.
Emily
Sep 11, 2019 added it
imagination, nature
Karrie
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet pictures and simple text illustrate the importance of perspective and how it changes your world.
Ameryn
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ameryn by: Pine River Library
Shelves: kids, grief
I read this to my kindergarten class. I didn't expect them to love it as much as they did. We read it multiple times (by request). Each time it prompted discussions of memory, and remembering things lost (like pets, or family members).
Earl
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A contemplative picture book about perspective- of what a thing is in a particular time and what it becomes over time through various lenses. A book worth rereading.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Just Because
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Going Down Home with Daddy
  • Hey, Water!
Brendan Wenzel is an author and illustrator based in upstate New York. His debut picture book, They All Saw a Cat, was a New York Times bestseller and the recipient of a 2017 Caldecott Honor. An ardent conservationist, he is a proud collaborator with many organizations working to ensure the future of wild places and threatened species.