Start by marking “Find Your Artistic Voice: The Essential Guide to Working Your Creative Magic” as Want to Read:
Find Your Artistic Voice: The Essential Guide to Working Your Creative Magic

Find Your Artistic Voice: The Essential Guide to Working Your Creative Magic

Bestselling author, artist, and illustrator Lisa Congdon brings her expertise to this guide to the process of artistic self-discovery.

Find Your Artistic Voice helps artists and creatives identify and nurture their own visual identity.

This one-of-a-kind book
helps artists navigate the influence of creators they admire, while simultaneously appreciating the value of their
Published August 6th 2019 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Find Your Artistic Voice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Find Your Artistic Voice

Start your review of Find Your Artistic Voice: The Essential Guide to Working Your Creative Magic
Maryse
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I make art for my own personal pleasure and have no interest in becoming a professional artist so I was concerned this book would be a how-to on finding a voice that sells. But it wasn’t at all. Very thoughtful and thought provoking for someone like me.
Chris LaTray
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Listened to this not as someone who does visual art, but as a writer. It was like getting a pep talk from a trusted friend, something we all occasionally need. I appreciate that it’s short, and I’d recommend it for someone who needs a quick boost. I listened to the audio version, and it made for a few days of inspirational commutes.
Nathan Albright
Jan 15, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: challenge-2020
This book characterizes much of what is disastrously wrong with literature about creativity. The author considers herself an expert as someone who had once desired to be accepted so much that she even went to mass despite not being a Catholic at a Catholic university and then fails to recognize that her strident leftist viewpoint and the not particularly diverse collection of voices that she collects here similarly demonstrate a desire to fit it and a distinct lack of both self-awareness and ...more
Chris
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Pretty good book about developing one's own signature style/voice. Lots of interviews with people from a variety of creative/artistic fields.
Christine Friedrichsmeier
Good, but nothing new. For novices.

It was well thought out, well-written and had cute illustrations. The interviews are a good touch. But overall, nothing really new. Definitely oriented to the novice. Congdon talked about not limiting yourself to one style as an expression of your voice but then didn't talk about how to deal with a market that demands you have a singular style - especially fine arts.
Angie
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just what I was hoping for

I’ve read a lot of books on art process but none that spoke directly to where I was on my creative journey. I recommend to all creatives.
Jamie
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
(3.5) I love the cover of this book so much, and while there was plenty of interesting info (especially in the interviews included within), I was expecting more illustrations from Congdon too. The text of the book was faint and tiny and slightly hard to see, so I think that was a poor design choice, but otherwise, it's a lovely book.
Tara
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so great. I feel like I learned more in this book than in art school. A great read for anyone wanting to explore their creativity whether they are brand new to art or a long time artist.
Kate Kosek
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Saw this on the 'new' shelf in the library and thought I would give it a try since I like Lisa Congdon's art (which is a point she makes later in the book - to support fellow artists by going to their shows, taking their classes, reading their books, etc.).

Didn't really provide me with any new information, but I think it would be helpful, if not inspiring, to artists just starting out. I liked the interviews; they exposed me to new artists and books I need to look at.
Audrey
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Natalie
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I first read Art Inc and was super excited to learn if this book coming out. I definitely was not disappointed. The interviews were engaging, the book itself was well written with great ideas, and the art throughout tied it altogether. Highly recommend!
Patsy Parker
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Encouraging Read!

Lisa shares lots of encouragement and strategies for improving your artistic abilities. She shares great ideas for every artist to consider.
Kate
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
This book's design is such a pleasure! gorgeous, whimsical, charming illustrations in a variety of styles. Variety is offered as well in interviews with successful professional artists, regarding different aspects of working in the visual arts. (I found some of them more persuasive than others, but appreciated the fact that different voices are included.) It's a winning presentation of basic professional/creative advice.

Based on the title, I assumed that it would directly speak to "creative
Amanda Christensen
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a nice pep talk going into the new year. The advice is gently offered along with interviews with other artists to help encourage the reader that the creative process is hard AND rewarding.

I think it’d be a good book for any visual artist, writer, creative, creator, maker, or any sort of someone going through an existential crises. The wisdom provided felt like good advice for anyone wanting to fully experience and enjoy life and a career of one’s own design.

The font size and thickness
Beverly K.
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't buy many books this past year. Instead, I committed to read the ones I already own. But one fall day, as I was walking to meet a long-time friend for coffee, I walked past the Minnesota Center for Book Arts and saw this book in the window. I walked in and promptly bought it, without even cracking the cover.

I'm so glad I did. Even though I'm not a visual artist, I love the idea of finding my voice as I transition from corporate writing to pitching my own articles, including some
Rebecca
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I love Lisa Congdon so couldn't wait to read this book, and overall I think it was well put together and definitely worth a look. I didn't feel it included any kind of revelations though.

There were some good tips included, and I particularly loved reading the interviews to get other people's stories and tips. They were probably the best bits. It was aimed at beginners and I felt like I'd heard a lot of it before, probably from being a fan of her work and the interviewees work for some time. I
Claira Heitzenrater
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to see Lisa talk recently in Pittsburgh, and purchased this book at the event. Not only is Lisa’s style perfect for creatives in any stage of their path, but also reads as the best motivation to get in the studio to find your artistic voice. Each interview within the text offers different viewpoints on how to find your voice, so you have a well-rounded approach to how a voice is found. A great read! Highly recommend.
Kym
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is an inspiring and practical guide to developing your artistic voice. The author shares her own strategies and practices, as well as sharing the stories, insights, and advice from several other artists. The examples are plentiful and varied, and the narrative is well organized and informative. The author’s style is charming and engaging, and – as always, Lisa Congdon’s sense of style is fun and inspiring.

Highly recommended for anyone interested in developing their artistic voice.
Jennica Martin
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a writer, not a visual artist, yet there was not a word in this book that I didn't need to hear. Congdon's advice and encouragement applies to creatives of all kinds, which is demonstrated by the variety of artists interviewed throughout the book. If you are interested in doing anything creative at all, read it: I've come out of this experience both excited to pursue my own work, and -- most importantly -- no longer terrified of failing.
Johannah Gage
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK IS MY NEW THERAPIST.
I should just send Lisa Congdon $50 a week and reread this book every Tuesday afternoon instead of driving across town.

Highly highly highly recommended reading for all creative people -- and that's everyone. The audio book is excellent, but I recommend the paper or kindle book also, you'll want to highlight and make notes.
Sasha
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
First I would like to state that I have received this book through goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review. I would like to thank the author for giving me this opportunity and honor in being able to read this book. When I received this book I began reading it at once. This book was a very interesting read.I would recommend this book to others.
Hannah Che
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Concise and insightful-- a quick read. More geared towards visual artists, especially for novices just starting out (I might gift this to my younger sister who's interested in pursuing art as a career), but I loved the interviews and appreciated the diversity of artists represented. Definitely many nuggets of wisdom to be found here, applicable for anyone pursuing a creative field.
Emily Weigel
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great reminders and advice for creatives to combat fear and self doubt, practice constantly (like any other skill you learn to acquire), find inspiration through ordinary, everyday means such as a walk around the neighborhood, etc.

If you’re an artist or someone working in a creative field, I highly encourage this (fairly short) read for encouragement!
Deja
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved all the illustrations and the interviews! I'm basically a big fan of everything Lisa Congdon touches. I didn't find all of the insights about voice particularly ... insightful. But that may be because I've heard much of it in the context of writing. Still, I felt encouraged and excited to practice art daily and devotedly. And that's always a good thing.
Julie
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a book that every aspiring creative should read, whether you want to create visual art or not. Whatever your medium, Lisa has great tips and encouragement! (Plus I just love her illustration :)
Ella Walsh
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really loved this book and I would highly recommend to any creative person, no matter what level. I loved the illustrations and the tips were really helpful. I will definitely be keeping this book to look back on whenever in the future. Really is an inspiring book.
Natasha Campbell
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
A helpful book whatever stage you are in your artistic journey. It will either serve as a guide or a helpful reminder of why you do what you do. I particularly found the interviews and different perspectives from artists as to what they though an artistic was and how it can be achieved.
Nancy Lewis
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways
More for people who are already artists and need to create a unique marketable style or "voice", instead of people like me who are looking for their inner artist in the first place. Probably an actual artist would give this more stars.
Melissa
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For anyone who wants to dive deeper into their art, this is a great book. Packed with Lisa’s thoughts (and kick-ass work) and interviews with other artists, it’s great wisdom from great folks. I feel energized to continue work on my artistic voice and feel like I have good takeaways to help me.
Trevor May
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Listened to the audiobook in the instance, but will get a copy of the physical book for the accompanying illustrations once it becomes available in the UK. An inspirational read for artists of any level.

• Feck Perfuction: Dangerous Ideas on the Business of Life (Business Books, Graphic Design Books, Books on Success)
  • Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
  • Making Comics
  • Big Dreams, Daily Joys: Get Things Done, Make Space for What Matters, Achieve Your Dreams
  • Your Inner Critic Is a Big Jerk: And Other Truths About Being Creative
  • The Art of Noticing: 131 Ways to Spark Creativity, Find Inspiration, and Discover Joy in the Everyday
  • Feel It Out
  • Art Money & Success: A complete and easy-to-follow system for the artist who wasn't born with a business mind.
  • Things Are What You Make of Them: Life Advice for Creatives
  • Draw Your Day: An Inspiring Guide to Keeping a Sketch Journal
  • Initiated: Memoir of a Witch
  • Enough: Notes from a Woman Who Has Finally Found It
  • The Creative's Curse
  • Everything is Figureoutable: How One Simple Belief Can Help Us Overcome Any Obstacle and Create Unstoppable Success
  • How Your Story Sets You Free
  • Creative Calling: Establish a Daily Practice, Infuse Your World with Meaning, and Succeed in Work + Life
  • The Fate of Fausto
  • Living with Color: Inspiration and How-Tos to Brighten Up Your Home
Fine artist and illustrator Lisa Congdon is best known for her colorful abstract paintings, intricate line drawings, pattern design & hand lettering. She works for clients around the world including the MoMA, Harvard University, Martha Stewart Living, Chronicle Books, The Land of Nod, Simon & Schuster, and Cloud9 Fabrics, among many others. She exhibits her work around the country, ...more