Start by marking “One Last Prayer for the Rays (DCI Michael Yorke, #1)” as Want to Read:
One Last Prayer for the Rays (DCI Michael Yorke, #1)

One Last Prayer for the Rays

(Detective Michael Yorke #1)

“A pool of blood, an abduction, swirling blizzards, a haunting mystery, yes, Wes Markin’s One Last Prayer for the Rays has all the makings of an absorbing thriller. I recommend that you give it a go.” –Bestselling Author Alan Gibbons

School should be the safest place in the world. Not this winter.

DCI Michael Yorke faces his most harrowing case yet.

When 12-year-old Paul dis
Published February 11th 2019

To ask other readers questions about One Last Prayer for the Rays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Last Prayer for the Rays

Lisa
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
My rating is a solid 3 stars, but I may have enjoyed this book, maybe...to 4. It was a nail biter, and there were a few times I got nervous. I loved the characters, both good and bad. I think what really held me back though was the police. I love differing points of view, and this book had that. What it was missing, is something I like the most. That being a police procedural. I like when the cops compare notes. I want them to get together and put the pieces of the puzzle together. This was all ...more
Dita
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Every parent's nightmare; a twelve year old boy has gone missing from school and DCI Michael Yorke believes he knows exactly where to look first, a recently released local murderer named Thomas Ray. But when Ray is found savagely murdered Yorke has to do a deep dive on Ray's family for answers before the clock runs out. Holy moly, strap in, because these people are the effing worst.

This one makes you sleep with the lights on, in the best way!

Thank you to Wes Markin, BooksGoSocial and NetGalley f
Dash fan
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5☆ Gave me the Heebie Jeebies I couldn't Put it Down!

One Last Prayer for the Rays is a chilling cat and mouse crime thriller, that got under my skin and at times gave me the Heebie Jeebies.

I am really not sure how to go about writing my review as this book is so good, I don't want to risk giving anything away.

It's twisty, dark, gritty, gripping and exciting, the characters are eclectic, complex, sinister, deeply flawed but wow do they get under your skin.

The police procedural was cleverly writte
Linda Strong

When 12-year-old Paul Ray goes missing from school, Detective Michael York and his team are called in to investigate. But this may be more than just a child playing hooky ... in the restroom is a pool of blood .. and the words IN THE BLOOD painted on the wall in that blood.

Everyone is the village knows of the Ray family. For years ... generations .. they've all been pig farmers and more than that .... at least one member of the family in each generation has been demented .. or just plain evil.

Th
Kirsty ❤️
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found this book so gripping I read it in next to no time. It's such a page turner. The action starts right from the beginning when 12 year old Paul Ray is kidnapped from school and doesn't let up at any point. It's a good job that the focus of the story is about finding a 12 year old because his family are all horrible. When another family member goes missing it's hard to care and yet another is a killer in their own right.

There's a lot going on around the kidnap. People are killed, a police
LenaRibka
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it

3.5 stars rounded up

This debut mystery novel, also the beginning of a new series, has many good and also some weak points.

Without going into too much detail, the author succeeded in creating a haunting horror atmosphere, a plot full of thrilling suspense charged with tension. There are many subplots in the story to deal with, many different characters, but it doesn't feel overloaded, as one could guess.

Short chapters, the ongoing scene change, all this make the novel to a real page-turner and
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The story starts off with a bang, literally. From that point on I was hooked.

I have to say I really enjoyed the story line throughout this novel. The Ray family are well known and not for good reason. They have a history of not being so nice and have built up a lot of enemies. I didn’t envy the police one bit trying to find Thomas Ray’s killer especially as there are plenty of suspects.

There are so many unlikable characters throughout this story. Some that are down right evil and others that are
Sue
ONE LAST PRAYER FOR THE RAYS is the first book in a new crime fiction series, featuring DCI Michael Yorke, by author Wes Markin. This novel provides non-stop action. Hold on tight as this is a new author to watch out for!

Novels in the DCI Michael Yorke Thriller Series Include:
One Last Prayer For The Rays (Book 1) Published February 11th 2019
The Repenting Serpent (Book 2) Expected publication: June 14th 2019

Children should be safe at school…but not this time.

DCI Michael Yorke is assigned to one o
Els
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first book in a series always brings a lot of new people that you have to get to know on the scene. Sometimes it might be a bit distracting you from the storyline, but the author certainly did not let that happen.

Jeez Louise, the opener hit bull’s eye straight away and nothing could stop me from being dragged into the story. The whole way through there was suspense, but a creepy kind of suspense that made the chills run down my spine.

It was a very fast paced and dark book, but oh so good. So
Elaine
I'm so glad I got to read this crime thriller! It proved to be a real page turner that I was enthralled by and really didn't want to put down until I'd reached the end. It is a story which starts with a lethal bang resulting in murder, sharing the demented thoughts of the perpetrator and introducing the reader to one of the family at the heart of this investigation. That had me hooked for the very beginning . . . then, to confound issues, that is followed by the mysterious disappearance, from hi ...more
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, tf

This book had me from the get-go, it was bloody intense way to start a book with the opening chapter. I mean it was ominous from the start, and then bam it’s go go go and it feels like you are on a rollercoaster that you don’t know if it is ever going to end.

Now I want to make one thing clear here, I do have quite a strong stomach when it comes to gore. I don’t like gore and the only thing that truly unsettles me is paranormal stuff or the scene in the Ring when she climbs out the tv and is all
Ted Tayler
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Shatters the idyll"

Wiltshire is a county that has a criminal element, but it's not the Wild West. Maybe there's going to be a rash of thriller series centred on this rural idyll. It will become like Midsomer Murders. Somewhere you never want to move to with the highest death rate in the country. Maybe the big cities were getting swamped by crime writers researching new settings. This is an excellent chiller, with pace, violence and strong characters. The only question I ask is - how does a rela
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
Talk about an action packed read... I couldn’t read this quick enough. From start to finish I was engrossed.

When a young school boy goes missing it’s up to DCI Michael Yorke to investigate. In doing so he gets to know more about the Ray family.

What an amazing set of characters. Opposite ends of the likeable chart lol

This story is action packed. I didn’t want it to end. What started as a quick chapter in the afternoon turned into me totally engrossed in the story and reading in one sitting. I’
Dora  (Swift Coffee Book Blog)
Full review: http://swiftcoffee.blog/2019/02/13/bl...

This book is such an incredibly strong debut that I actually mistook it for one that an author with more published stories behind them would write. Literally. There was a moment when I thought wow, I'd so love to read everything this author has written - and I went on Goodreads to see what else is out there. That's when I realized that this is a debut novel. (I probably already knew that, and then forgot, though.) That's how good it is.

I love
Dee Groocock
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Paul Ray disappears from school and a large amount of blood is found in the boys toilets, the police are called in quickly. Where has he gone and is he still alive, bearing in mind the amount of blood. Is it a coincidence that the missing boy is one of the Ray family?
A fantastic start to a new series. Great descriptive writing with brilliant detail of the Salisbury area. There were plenty of twists in the story and a lot of tension. Great characters that I enjoyed reading about and getting
The Book Review Café
4.5 ⭐ review to follow ...more
Rowena Hoseason
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This is no humdrum parochial British police procedural – in fact, with all the pigs, blood, gore, kidnapping and brutality it’s more like Hannibal than Morse. Which of course snagged my attention at the get-go…

The gruesome abduction of a loner schoolboy is just the start of a deftly executed campaign of revenge against an oddball farming family. Plenty of people have very good reasons to hate the Rays – including at least one disgraced copper, whose DNA turns up in a most compromising location.

A
Jessica Belmont
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not put One Last Prayer for the Rays down and I finished it in one sitting. It's gripping, action-packed and it's a page-turner.

There's so much I want to say about this book, but I also don't want to spoil anything. Wes Markin has created a really high energy novel that I just want to rave about everywhere. I loved the characters, the mystery...really everything.

I can't find anything to complain about with this one. It's a solid novel that keeps you glued to the pages. Highly recommended
Arthur
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent page turner

My wife and I honeymooned in England and enjoyed Salisbury. When I realized where this book was set, I got into it quickly. But it is so gripping that I would have enjoyed it anyway. The actual cycle is intriguing, but HaymArket really excels at is depicting believable a nd interesting characters, especially among the police. A great rest.
c p york
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was action packed from the start. It was a real page turner. There are some characters that I really felt for. others I knew were wrong-uns!
I stayed up waay later than I should have to finish this book and I can't wait to find out what the next case for DCI Yorke is.
Melissa Cole
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This crime/thriller story had me hooked from the very beginning. It is full of action and suspense right from chapter one which made it an exciting read. I highly recommend this to anyone who is in to action packed thrillers which keep holy guessing all the way through! Great read!
Edie Baylis
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an absolutely fantastic debut novel! This book has everything in it that you could possibly want from a crime suspense/thriller.

The Ray family, short of Paul and his parents, are a collection of psycho lunatics, all with a deplorable past. Unfortunately, this past has come back to haunt Paul and his family and makes this story a dark and exceptional read.
There are so many twists and turns in this book it is more than a page turner! It is superbly written and the descriptions both of the sur
Kayley
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this. Excellently written crime fiction with a nice twist at the end. Can’t wait to read more by this author.
Terri Stephen
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book had me on the edge of my seat. Good gritty crime novel with an absolutely brilliant twist I did not see coming at all. Highly recommended. I couldn't put it down.
Anne McGoldrick
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hooked from the beginning! Did not want to put it down! Highly recommended! Leaves you with a feeling of wanting more...
Shervin Jamali
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant storytelling, a cast of interesting, well-defined characters, and twisty turns. Markin excels at creating tension in his readers, not letting up much throughout. There's no clearly defined protagonist in the tale, not even Yorke himself, and a handful of antagonists; quite unique in itself. Highly recommended and I look forward to the next book in the series.
Jeanette
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book had me turning the pages from start to end. I would say that this is one of the best crime books that i have read in a while and cannot wait to read more by this author. A well written book with a twist at the end that i didn't see coming. Highly recommended.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers for my copy. This is my honest review.
Susan Angela Wallace
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
One last prayer for the Ray's by Wes Markin.
A really enjoyable read. I liked the story. Slow to begin with but then I couldn't put it down. Looking forward to reading more from this author. 4*.
allieereads
review originally posted on my blog / allieereads.com

3.5 out of 5 stars

I don’t really know how to put into coherent words how I felt about this novel, because I don’t actually know how I feel! Although a good solid crime fiction novel, One Last Prayer for the Rays was lacking something that would have made this great.

There is no doubt that Wes Markin is going to be a contender for well-written crime procedural thrillers. The writing within this novel attests to Markin’s growing ability and his c
Emma
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
“With a uniquely sinister plot this book isn’t for the faint hearted of readers and will disturb the undisturbed”
One Last Prayer for the Rays is a standalone book by the new and upcoming author Wes Markin. This crime thriller is set in the usually pleasant and picturesque city of Salisbury in the South of England however Markin turns it into a harrowing place no one would ever visit through the story of DCI Michael Yorke and his team. Yorke is called to investigate a case of a missing school boy
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Wes Markin is a hyperactive English teacher, who loves writing crime fiction with a twist of the macabre.
Having finished ‘The Repenting Serpent,’ sequel to ‘One Last Prayer for the Rays,’ he is now working on the third instalment of DCI Michael Yorke’s wild ride. He is also the author of ‘Defined,’ a prequel to his DCI Yorke novels, which takes the reader back to his blood-soaked university days.

Detective Michael Yorke (2 books)
  • The Repenting Serpent (DCI Michael Yorke, #2)