Start by marking “The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)

The Bridge Kingdom

(The Bridge Kingdom #1)

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  8,274 ratings  ·  1,269 reviews
What if you fell in love with the one person you'd sworn to destroy?

Lara has only one thought for her husband on their wedding day: I will bring your kingdom to its knees. A princess trained from childhood to be a lethal spy, Lara knows that the Bridge Kingdom represents both legendary evil - and legendary promise. The only route through a storm-ravaged world, the Bridge K
Published August 13th 2019 by Context Literary Agency LLC (first published October 16th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Bridge Kingdom, please sign up.
Danielle Jensen It will be coming out first as an audiobook (Audible Originals in October 2018), with the ebook and physical book to follow. I don't have details on t…moreIt will be coming out first as an audiobook (Audible Originals in October 2018), with the ebook and physical book to follow. I don't have details on the release dates for those editions just yet, but I will share them when I do.(less)

·  8,274 ratings  ·  1,269 reviews

Start your review of The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)
Helena of Eretz ✰
“I will be the next Queen of Ithicana. And I will bring the Bridge Kingdom to its knees.”

description

ENEMIES TO LOVERS COMBINED WITH A MARRIAGE OF CONVENIENCE IS THE BEST MIX OF TROPES EVER CONCEIVED. IT JUST IS. I DON’T MAKE THE RULES. (For others, see: Falling Kingdoms, The Cruel Prince, Serpent & Dove, Cruel Beauty, Spinning Silver…)

description

This is a re-read in preparation for the sequel, The Traitor Queen, releasing in September, but I had initially picked up this gem on a whim. I was bored and the synopsis was
jessica
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
okayyy fine. i guess i will give this five stars because i really have no reason not to. ignore the fact that the cover is sporting some seriously awkward video game-esque graphics, because its so not representative of this wholly engaging story.

have i read this kind of story before? oh yeah. many times. the whole ‘enemies to lovers’ via a girl infiltrating another kingdom through marriage is one of my favourite plot devices, so this rating is probably quite biased. but theres something about t
Danielle Jensen
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
You can read the first 6 chapters for FREE! https://dl.bookfunnel.com/uc54a6937e

This book was so much fun to write – pure entertainment with its action, intrigue, and steamy romance! And I hope you all feel the same way when you read it!

Unlike my other novels, The Bridge Kingdom is NOT Young Adult. Please shelve as New Adult Fantasy, Adult Fantasy, or Adult Romantic Fantasy. The characters are 20 (Lara) and 25 (Aren).

TW: Profanity, explicit sexual content, alcohol consumption, and violence.

For t
• Lindsey Dahling •
If you’re a fan of the A Court of Thorns and Roses series and/or The Bargainer series, drop everything you’re doing AND READ THIS BOOK RIGHT FUCKING NOW.

NOT KIDDING. RIGHT NOW.

I can’t even tell you why because spoilers. Just trust me. TRUST ME, OKAY.

I just finished it and my heart is still racing. I can’t handle it. IT WAS SO GOOD. It doesn’t have Fae or magic or any elements like that in it, but you ACOTAR/Bargainer/good book fans especially NEED TO READ IT BECAUSE OMGGGGGGG.

FOCUS, LINDSEY. F
Ida
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
⭐4 - 4.5 stars ⭐

This book royally screwed with my emotions!
description

For fifteen years, she’d been trained how to infiltrate an impenetrable kingdom.
How to discover weaknesses and exploit them.
How to destroy her enemies.
How to be merciless.
She’d been born for this.

I loved the first part of this book. 20 year old Lara has spent her last 15 years locked away in the desert where she's been trained for one purpose; marry the king, infiltrate his kingdom and bring it to its knees.

The Bri
Arini
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25 Stars

What if you fell in love with the one person you’d sworn to destroy?

Why, isn’t that literally the secret recipe to a great love story?!?!?

Brief storyline: A princess trained spy/assassin tasked with infiltrating the enemy’s kingdom by seducing marrying its King under the guise of a peace alliance.

This was so good. Why isn’t it getting more hype?!?!? Or maybe it already has been, and I just didn’t notice until now. In any case, read this plzzzz, especially if you’re a fan o
Riley
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
actual rating: 4.5
Elise Kova
I LOVED this book. Heart-pounding romance and intense action wrapped in a spellbinding world. I was hooked from the first page!

So excited it's now available in paperback, hardcover, AND audiobook formats!!
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
What if you fell in love with the one person you'd sworn to destroy?

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY
Katherine Lomeli
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
E.P.I.C.!!This story, the characters, the world building, the bloody romance-- everything was *Chefs Kiss*, amazing 😚 Read it! You wont regret it. (5) ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

( I could write a review on how much this book kicked ass, but honestly just read it. I wont spoil the fun 😏💗💗💗💗💗)
Lea
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“I love you," he said, his lips grazing against hers. "And I will love you, no matter what the future brings. No matter how hard I need to fight. I will always love you.”

This book has ruined me completely. Emotionally, physically, mentally. Very few novels have ever elicited such a strong emotional response from me, and yet…. I actually felt sick to my stomach while reading the twists and betrayals in this book. It’s all I can think about.

And it’s shocking because…. I initially didn’t like
politetemper
2.5 stars?

OK, I was really looking forward to this book.

I have mixed feelings.

I thought Lara was going to be this really strong female character who's methodical and mysterious and didn't do anything without thought...but this wasn't the case. I find it hard to like someone - anyone- who doesn't question everything. Knowing the type of person her father was and knowing how little he cares about his OWN DAUGHTERS, I just didn't understand how she just took his word for everything. If it was me, I
Ashlee » Library In The Country
What was the last book you started that you knew would be an immediate five stars just from the first chapter?

THIS is the New Adult book I’ve been looking for. Fantasy and angsty romance all wrapped up in a beautiful enemies to lovers package.
Stacey is Sassy
I’m glad I found this new author to me…

The first chapter of The Bridge Kingdom had me grinning. I knew deep down it was a little sick that I was grinning because there were murder and mayhem all around. But, I saw (heard) beyond what I was supposed to see (hear). With my fingers crossed, and my heart pounding, I hoped that this evil creature could be a chameleon.

Happy dances…I found an epic tale!!!

Our heroine is portrayed as an intense, greedy and self-serving woman whose ambition leads her on a
Deborah Obida
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, new-adult
This is my second series by the author and I have to admit I love her books, they might not be mind blowing yet but they are sure to be awesome and live you shocked.

The author used one of my favourite troupe, enemies to lovers. The plot follows two protagonists Aren and Lara who are both the progeny of two monarchs. The both were betrothed to get married at a very young age, the problems are their kingdoms are enemies and they have never met.

Isn't that a fun plot, well it was too me. The world b
Emma☀️
I’m rating this based on my enjoyment level and... I really enjoyed this! The Bridge Kingdom has a perfect blend of political intrigue, romance and action. I was pleasantly surprised.

The book follows Lara on her journey to spy (and assassinate) the king of Ithicana, Aren, and in her quest in doing so, she starts warming up to him and uncover hidden conspiracies.

The world-building was good but it did confuse me at times. I loved learning about Ithicana and Maridrina. The way Jensen described It
Levie
Almost DNF @ hour 4:26:50. And many times after that.

I would call this a diet fantasy. Which is neither good nor bad, simply a preference. If you loved Throne of Glass and favored Aelin over Celaena than this is for you. That being said, I do think the characters were a little less compelling than I would have liked.

I had a huge problem with the language used. The way people spoke and the way things were described was like a blend of medieval and modern language, which was jarring for me as the
Brenda Waworga
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sometimes after I read a lot of Epic fantasy or Scific books, I want to read something lighter filled with angsty romance (steamy scenes maybe) with a touch of fantasy and worldbuilding.. and those were exactly what I got from this book, and I love it

The story is pretty basic about a princess who need to married a handsome enemy king and then fell in love with him and realized the world is not pictured as what she’d been taught

BUT…

I really love the worldbuilding in this book, it’s so well writte
Ann (annreads)
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW THAT WAS UTTERLY INCREDIBLE
I’m calling it, this book may be one of the best and most refreshing things I’ve read in all year! To say that I loved it would be an understatement, since I just finished it and already want to read it all over again *new favorite alert🚨*

I’ll try to write a review as soon as possible, but know that you’re totally missing out if you don’t pick up this one!

5/5★★★★★
Lucie V.
Aug 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
I just love the enemies-to-lovers stories!

Lara is a princess of Maridrina, raised as an assassin since she was 5 years old. Her father sends her to marry the new king of Ithicana as part of an old peace treaty, but he also expects her to find out how to take control of the famous bridge of Ithicana and to help Maridrina get revenge on Ithicana. She does not care for her hardhearted father, but she odes care for her people who are starving. Whoever controls the bridge controls the commerce betwee
nicklein
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow those last few chapters definitely shortened my lifespan geez
Bright Star
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2019

This book took me completely by surprise! I mean, the plot sounded interesting but I didn't think I would have loved it so much! It had everything I hoped for: enemies to lovers, enthralling story, an unique worldbuilding, a bit of politics and many twists. I wish I had already the sequel because with that ending the waiting now will be endless.
☼ ☄︎ Anneli✩ ☽
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, own
The Bridge Kingdom
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I was told this book was going to be smutty, I meaaaaaan.
Am I disappointed? Yes🙄
Did I enjoy it though? Absolutely!🥰
I can’t say it reached my expectations but at least it didn’t turn out to be BAD bad.
Well, too much political talk, I couldn’t even focus on what they were talking about most of the time.
I also didn’t like that we new the plot twist before it happened, it was just waiting and waiting until they realized that the rat king read the letter with invisible ink.
Maggie ☘
This was such a great read! The Bridge Kingdom is fantasy-ish (it doesn't have much fantasy elements yet, if any, in the vain of The Winner's Curse or The Kiss of Deception) New Adult read about romance and spying on the backdrop of tense relations between kingdoms and war told from two POVs of Lara - intelligent, kick ass heroine, the princess of Maridrina and the love lead - Aren - kind of Ithicana, otherwise called the Bridge Kingdom - a series of islands in between two contients controlling ...more
Katrin D
This story wasn't bad, just...mediocre. The setting was the most unique part by far and if there's anything worth the time spent reading/listening to this book, this is it. The rest: the premise, the love story, the plot, they were all quite predictable and cliche.

I honestly don't know if I'll continue the series, but I guess we'll see once the second book comes out.
Lia Carstairs
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
I really, really, really wanted to love this book, but honestly.........
I'm just happy I finally finished it.😔

The beginning really got me excited for the rest of The Bridge Kingdom, but then eventually I felt like the excitement was dying down and the pacing got super slow.
I was tempted to DNF halfway, but I mean, I was almost done so I thought that I might as well finish the rest. I don't know, I just go so bored.

I liked Lara in the beginning and found her cool, but that was probably it. A
Anca
I was expecting a lot more from Danielle L. Jensen, I grew to love her The Malediction Trilogy and was expecting a inticately and beautifully written story. The Bridge Kingdom, however, was so disappointing. There are some HIGH reviews for this and I am just scratching my head wondering if I read the same book as everyone else.

This was filled with fluff, lacked character and plot development, I struggled to finish it and skimmed through several parts.

There is nothing I liked about our "heroine
Lien
I'm sorry I just have to get this off my chest so this won't be a pretty review. Please look away if you loved this book or planning to read it in the future.

SPOILERS AHEAD

There were so many times where I just wanted to throw in the towel and be done with it. The plot was so predictable I think everyone will know exactly where the story is going. It’s basically waiting for the proverbial shit to hit the fan, waiting for doomsday to come.

For reference, Lara has been trained all her life t
Kaylanii of The Court of Dreams
Well I mean— If you wanna crush my heart and make me ugly cry then yes I would say this ending was sufficient lmao. Fuck this author has no mercy.

I really enjoyed this book, Lara was such a bad ass character and it was really nice to see Aren thaw out her originally icy heart.

However when I say this book is slow burn ... I mean incredibly painful slow burn. I don’t feel like there was as much romance as I would like. Which maybe isn’t fair because I am reading this book after reading my favorit
Melissasfandomworld
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a truly enjoyable read this was and one that leaves me aching and in need of the next installment. I already fell in love with Danielle's writing when reading her prior written YA books, the malediction trilogy and Dark Shores, and I'm glad to say that her venture into New Adult romance was a success as well.

There's a really interesting world I got to know here, including politics and amazing settings. I loved exploring this world, a world that could be so brutal at times, and already can'

• A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Promise of Darkness (Dark Court Rising, #1)
  • A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance #1)
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
  • Fortune Favors the Cruel (Dark Maji, #1)
  • The Hunt (The Twisted Kingdoms #1)
  • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
  • Oath Taker (Kingdom of Runes, #1)
  • Fable (Fable, #1)
  • A King So Cold
  • War Bound (Elven Alliance #2)
  • When Wishes Bleed (When Wishes Bleed, #1)
  • Storm and Fury (The Harbinger, #1)
Danielle L. Jensen is the USA Today bestselling author of The Malediction Trilogy (Angry Robot), the Dark Shores series (Tor Teen), and The Bridge Kingdom series (Audible Originals). She lives in Calgary, Alberta with her family.

I would love to be your friend on Goodreads!

The Bridge Kingdom (5 books)
  • The Traitor Queen (The Bridge Kingdom, #2)
  • Untitled (The Bridge Kingdom #3)
  • Untitled (The Bridge Kingdom, #4)
  • Untitled (The Bridge Kingdom, #5)

News & Interviews